Starbucks

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a double espresso from Starbucks. Brought it home and added some coconut milk I had leftover (that was mostly the chunky/cream part - will have to use lighter coconut milk next time), which I heated in the microwave. Then I added a bit of cinnamon. Mmmmm, that's good stuff. I could get used to it! May have to break out my stovetop espresso maker and do this again.

Ok I am new and am gathering information before starting my first whole30.  I have a question about this canned coconut milk.  How do you add this to coffee it is thick straight out of the can and then there is what looks like water that separates from it.  I am planning to get use to plain black coffee and hope it can be caffeinated but would like some insight into the coconut mild creamer thing please.  Any uses and please explain the how to part of that.  Ha thanks.

Ok I am new and am gathering information before starting my first whole30.  I have a question about this canned coconut milk.  How do you add this to coffee it is thick straight out of the can and then there is what looks like water that separates from it.  I am planning to get use to plain black coffee and hope it can be caffeinated but would like some insight into the coconut mild creamer thing please.  Any uses and please explain the how to part of that.  Ha thanks.

Get yourself a stick blender if you don't already have one. When you open the can of coconut milk, if it's separated, stir it with a spoon to bring it back to the proper consistency. Pour a couple tablespoons of coconut milk in the container that comes with the stick blender, add coffee, insert blender, power on and emulsify. Yum.

Caffeinated coffee is ok on a Whole30, and there are recommendations on consumption. Details here

• 4 weeks later...

I usually get unsweetened iced coffee from Starbucks or a little place on my street on my way to work, and if I don't want it straight I'll bring coconut milk (from a can) with me to work. I just pack it with my lunch in a teeny tupperware (probably holds less than 1/4 cup) and shake it before i pour it in just in case it separated at all.

Jessica

I also drink decaf regular or decaf Americano.  DD really likes to go there (something we started when she was a baby), and we usually go once a week after school.  I have one of those drinks, or sometimes a decaf tea if they have something I'm willing to try.  I also have found that they carry That's It! bars.  They are just apple and one other fruit -- strawberry, blueberry, and mango are the kinds I've tried.  All compliant, decent things to eat if you are there with people who are eating and really want something to chew on.  They also usually have bananas, another good choice when you're in that situation.

ThyPeace, because DD always gets something to eat for her afternoon snack and I only have an apple with me half the time.

• 2 weeks later...

True, Black coffee, espresso, or Americanos are the way to go. As a long-time and former barista, those are the only compliant options. If you are looking to get your caffeine fix and it's not the sugar you're secretly craving and aren't afraid of rich, velvety espresso, down a doppio and call it a day.

Coffee drinks to try:

Solo Espresso* (Doppio, Trippio, aka a Jerry Garcia- 'cuz it's trippy, get it? No, okay, moving on; Quad) That's one, two, three, and four shots respectively.

Blonde Roast (black)

Pike Place Roast (black)

Bold Roast (black)

Any of the black coffees above with an added shot* (Red Eye), or two (Black Eye/Hammerhead)

Iced Coffee (black)

Iced Coffee (black with added shots* (see above)

Americano (one, two, three, four shots*, dep on size)

Iced Americano (two, three, five shots*, dep on size)

*Ristretto any of the shots and you won't have any bitterness associated with your morning routine.

My new fave (after much experimentation & fellow baristas asking me "why in the world I wouldn't add vanilla or SF vanilla to" anything, because, you know, that's better (?!?!)) is an Iced (tall, grande, venti) Ristretto Americano. Boom, done.

Also, even though they've introduced the much-anticipated coconut milk, don't think for a SINGLE SECOND, that it's even remotely close to compliant. Third ingredient is sugar/evap cane juice. The first was water? Erhm, coconut watery-milk latte? Plech!

I do bulletproof blonde (ghee/coconut oil) coffee in one of my blenders at home.

True, Black coffee, espresso, or Americanos are the way to go. As a long-time and former barista, those are the only compliant options. If you are looking to get your caffeine fix and it's not the sugar you're secretly craving and aren't afraid of rich, velvety espresso, down a doppio and call it a day.

Coffee drinks to try:

Solo Espresso* (Doppio, Trippio, aka a Jerry Garcia- 'cuz it's trippy, get it? No, okay, moving on; Quad) That's one, two, three, and four shots respectively.

Blonde Roast (black)

Pike Place Roast (black)

Bold Roast (black)

Any of the black coffees above with an added shot* (Red Eye), or two (Black Eye/Hammerhead)

Iced Coffee (black)

Iced Coffee (black with added shots* (see above)

Americano (one, two, three, four shots*, dep on size)

Iced Americano (two, three, five shots*, dep on size)

*Ristretto any of the shots and you won't have any bitterness associated with your morning routine.

My new fave (after much experimentation & fellow baristas asking me "why in the world I wouldn't add vanilla or SF vanilla to" anything, because, you know, that's better (?!?!)) is an Iced (tall, grande, venti) Ristretto Americano. Boom, done.

Also, even though they've introduced the much-anticipated coconut milk, don't think for a SINGLE SECOND, that it's even remotely close to compliant. Third ingredient is sugar/evap cane juice. The first was water? Erhm, coconut watery-milk latte? Plech!

I do bulletproof blonde (ghee/coconut oil) coffee in one of my blenders at home.

Thank you. I get decaf Americanos frequently but would love one without the bitterness. I'll ask for ristretto next time.

My boyfriend manages a Sbux and is also doing the Whole30.  You could also get an unsweetened iced passion fruit tea.  I read the box myself - it's compliant!  The hot passion fruit tea is NOT compliant, though, because it includes some non-compliant ingredients in the tea bag.  You should be able to find ingredients online as well.  :)

It's actually Teavana now: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/iced-tea/teavana-shaken-iced-passion-tea#size=11035167&sweetened=0

The iced tea has different ingredients than the hot tea, though, which are not compliant.

You are correct.  I'll save myself 4 bucks and make my own.   $4.00 will buy protein from the butcher.

Archived