desserts?

brent83

Have you read It Starts With Food? They are very clear on the no SWPO (sex with pants on) stuff. So no, desserts are a no no. You say "I need a little something after dinner". Warning sign. You should only be eating when you are hungry. I was raised on "yay!! after dinner, we'll have ice cream or mom's chocolate pudding"! It's all of those bad habits we are trying to break. The other warning sign is "I eat a lot of fruit already". For me, that would be feeding my sugar habit. I have one serving of fruit a day if that. I mostly have berries which are lower in sugar than other fruits. I have just fallen in love with green papaya salads, so even though it doesn't hit the "sugar button" for me, it is fruit.

I feel your pain. I'm a bit of a dessert junkie as well. However I understand that the no-dessert policy is more psyhcological of reinforcing old habits than not. And although I struggle with it at times. I am on day 19 and I am missing my desserts less and less. ISWF has a little dessert recipe for a poached pear with raspberry cream sauce - it's quite nice. However do not expect it to ring or satisfy the regular dessert bells.

The fruit that I do include in my diet (about 2 servings a day) along with the fat requirements do keep my dessert demons at bay. I am ever so tempted these days to produce a homemade Lara type bar but I am trying to put it off as I know this will just feed into my cookie addiction. (I am a self professed cookie monster and a decent baker as well - so the no baking muffins, cookies, and breads is a double whammy for me as baking is a form of relaxing for me)

So brent83 do stay patient with yourself and don't do dessert. If you must indulge do take a tiny spoonful of coconut butter (so-oooo rich and indulgent) and call it a day in the dessert department. It is hard to give up but it is all so worth it!

I agree with the post about wanting a 'little something' after dinner being a warning sign. Sugar is SUCH an addictive item, and 'wanting' something sweet after dinner is a clear sign of the sugar addiction. I have them too, it sucks, and this is why I am using Whole30 to help curb my addiction again. I have been straight paleo for over a year, but I HAVE been allowing these 'paleoized' desserts in way too much - so its time to redirect myself.

I have found that fats and salty protein help me curb these cravings.. OR a hot cup of herbal tea does the trick. I also make bone broth, and a cup of this gets rid of any salty 'carb' cravings (chips/potatoes) and sometimes erases the sugar craving.

while I understand that when doing a strict Whole 30 no sugars are allowed and that generally speaking all sugars/sweeteners are addictive and we should try to avoid them, as someone who loves to bake, there are still those special occasions where I like to bake goodies to share and enjoy. I try my best to follow a clean lifestyle and would like to know the healthiest and cleanest choice when it comes to sweeteners in paleo desserts. My research has taken me to raw buckwheat honey but I have not tried it yet. I would love some thoughts especially from any bakers out there who bake paleo! Thanks.

I'm a baker, too, Al and I've thought about this many many times. The conclusion I've come to is that if I discover the "healthiest" choice for sweetening my baked goods, then I will just give myself an excuse to make them more often. My policy now is that I use what will taste best in the recipe (based on my judgment skills before hand) and make the treats irregular enough that it doesn't matter if it's the optimal choice.

That said, I've found that honey and pure maple syrup work well and don't cause the sugar dragon to rear his ugly head :0)

Archived