Fiber supplement

So I have come to the conclusion I am not getting enough fiber in my diet. Any recommendations for food I can add into my meals to get added fiber? Also I have an Arbonne fiber supplement. The ingredients are: maltodextrin, inulin, pea fiber, citrus pectin, apple pectin, orange fiber and beet fiber. Would that be whole30 compliant? If so I can start adding a scoop to my morning coffee or tea.

No, you cannot have that supplement, as maltodextrin is sugar, and peas are not allowed (they are a legume - no legumes).

Why do you feel you need more fiber? We recommend 1-3 cups of veggies per meal, which should give you plenty of fiber.

That supplement would not be compliant with the pea fiber and the maltodextrin is probably made from corn (most is). 

Can you post a couple days' worth of meals with portion sizes and how much water you're drinking? Then one of the mods can take a look and make a recommendation. 

I have noticed some slight constipation this week and thinking its from lack of fiber. That's not usually an issue I have.

Example meals:

M1 sweet potato hash (half large sweet potato) with coconut oil, 2 eggs, kiwi and black coffee

M2 beet salad from the whole30 book (beets avocado and oranges with) over a bed of mixed greens about 3 cups

M3 coconut chicken curry with about 2 cups of mixed veggies and a full baked sweet potato.

M1 sautéed spinach (about 3 cups prior to wilting) 2 eggs half a tomato and half grapefruit

M2 turkey burger with sugar free bacon tomatoes and an 1/2 avocado

M3 cauliflower grits about 2 cups with seasoned shrimp (prob about 8-10 shrimp) and 1/4 avocado on top.

I've moved this thread to the Troubleshooting section. What day of the Whole30 are you on?

The salad and any raw veggies (e.g., tomatoes) can cause digestive issues for some. Cauliflower and any cruciferous veggies can also cause issues.

You might try dropping the raw and cruciferous veggies and see if that brings you relief in a few days.

May I also suggest increasing your meal 1 protein?  When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs. 

How different is this way of eating from your "normal"

Sometimes if it is vastly different - think SAD - sometimes we need some "help".

If the modifications that GFChris do not work you might want to consider somethings:

You could take a probiotic supplement or you could chose to eat fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, or drink kombucha.

Sometimes digestive enzymes will help your body build up the correct type of enzymes to help you.  You could take a digestive enzyme supplement. Which would be only temporary until things switch over.

You also could take a magnesium citrate supplement.  Most people, even with a healthy diet, do not get enough magnesium.  Magnesium will help with sleep and ummmm..... getting things to move.

Thank you Carla. I have done whole30 a few time so my diet is good for the most part, however, a few months before January I fell way off the wagon with thanksgiving and Christmas. I have been told before to get a magnesium supplement. I just need to go ahead and do that. I purchased some sauerkraut but have no clue what to pair it with or make with it. Any suggestions? I love kombucha. I do try to drink a few bottles a week. Should I drink more than that. As for the kimchi I have no clue what it is haha I have hear of it before but never had it. Thank you for the added suggestions. I don't think it's the cauliflower or tomatoes because I eat them both quite often and have never had this issue before.

I love sauerkraut with sardines, compliant hot dogs or sausage.

Did you get sauerkraut in the refrigerated section? That's the kind with the probiotic benefit.

Kimchi is spicy pickled cabbage. Again, you'd find this in the refrigerated section of your grocer.

• Moderators

Thank you Carla. I have done whole30 a few time so my diet is good for the most part, however, a few months before January I fell way off the wagon with thanksgiving and Christmas. I have been told before to get a magnesium supplement. I just need to go ahead and do that. I purchased some sauerkraut but have no clue what to pair it with or make with it. Any suggestions? I love kombucha. I do try to drink a few bottles a week. Should I drink more than that. As for the kimchi I have no clue what it is haha I have hear of it before but never had it. Thank you for the added suggestions. I don't think it's the cauliflower or tomatoes because I eat them both quite often and have never had this issue before.

I like sauerkraut with scrambled eggs. Not cooked into them, just on the side. It's also good mixed into a salad. And of course the classic way to have kraut is to find some compliant bratwurst, and serve it with them. (just don't cook the brats in beer, obviously. I'm lucky enough to live near this place that makes compliant ones, but they also deliver all over the country if you're in the US.)

If you can find them in stores, Wild Brine and Farmhouse Culture both have multiple varieties of fermented vegetables, and Bubbies makes fermented pickles and sauerkraut. I'm sure there are other brands as well, but I've tried items from those three and liked them, but always read your labels as I know that there are some non-compliant varieties from some of the brands.  If you find Wild Brine brand, look for their Red Beet and Cabbage variety -- so yummy!

If you get really into the fermented foods, it's actually pretty easy to make your own. While not all the recipes are Whole30, I've found the Killer Pickles website to have clear, easy to follow instructions and good recipes.

Archived