Sweet tooth- Need Help!

StrivingToBeSteadfast

Hey there! I'm on day 4 of Whole30, and I'm starting to think more about what will happen at the end of whole30. Last year I was in a culinary program, and absolutely love to bake/cook. However, I am practically addicted to sugar and prior to whole30, I fueled my body with absolute garbage. So, here's my question: Anyone have any recommendations for people like me? I'm afraid I'll go back to binge eating sweets after I make them, or gobbling down anything in sight. I love, love, love to cook- but my munching/sweet tooth habit needs to be broken (hence my decision to start Whole30). I still want to be able to eat sweets after the program, but I'm just afraid of my ability (or lackthereof) to eat in moderation.

I want to learn to savor my food and love the flavors and use it to fuel my body correctly. Any suggestions?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Reformed sweet tooth here. 

I cut out sweets almost cold turkey because I was suddenly diagnosed as diabetic three years ago. Eating more fat (like a spoonful of mayo or a handful of olives) helped with the whole30 sweet urges (I also utilized fruit and cinnamon more to bring out the natural sweetness in things.) and I don't even have sugar or flour in my house anymore.

following the template will help immensely. 

When you want to eat and it's not around meal time ask yourself why you want to eat. Is it habit? Choose something else to do. Are you legit hungry and ready to eat bland/boring food? Eat a mini meal (protein, fat veggies) 

you can do this. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar fear based also on a rampant sweet tooth. What helped me most was really focusing on taming the "Sugar Dragon" during the Whole 30 itself. For example, even though dried fruits are technically ok, I knew for me they were just a sugar substitute that would prolong my cravings. So I cut out all dried fruit in addition to the normal Whole 30 rules. I would have fruit, but only with a meal- never as a snack or dessert.

With that, I made it through Whole 30 really really confident that I'd tamed my sugar cravings, and from there I was the most cautious about adding any sugar during reintroduction. I basically went another full month before I had something sweet, and then it was only a special Christmas pastry I make this time of year.  I had one and relished it and knew I could stop. It was awesome!

So my advise is to be careful with your remaining Whole 30 days to build your confidence.  Then take reintroduction of sugar slow and build on the confidence you've gained to know you can control sugar cravings now.

If you're craving sugar, wait a few minutes and reevaluate. If you're hungry enough to eat something you don't usually seek out (in my case, any green vegetable but greenbeans), then prep a mini-meal. I try to keep out things such as fruit, nuts, and Whole30 approved seeds so that I am certain my sugar dragon is being properly starved, unless my body (and not my sugar dragon) is telling me I need such things. This sounds like your first Whole30, so your body is not yet properly communicating its needs to you. In other words, if you're hungry eat a mini-meal. If your sugar dragon is just throwing a tantrum, go find something distracting to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Eat dates, fruits, nuts. Ur body dont want that chocolate, gummy bear or candy, its just on your mind that you want that and u need that. Just think about the taste and leave that chocolate bar, or throw away. But dont be so so stupid as i was, when i craved some sweet, for example the same chocolate, and i put that in my mouth and after i tasted i spitted. And i had this disorder not only with sweets, but with regular food. Dont try this...Just think that sweets are poison for you....

{mod edit to remove irrelevant website}

7 hours ago, Guarana said:

Eat dates, fruits, nuts. Ur body dont want that chocolate, gummy bear or candy, its just on your mind that you want that and u need that. Just think about the taste and leave that chocolate bar, or throw away. But dont be so so stupid as i was, when i craved some sweet, for example the same chocolate, and i put that in my mouth and after i tasted i spitted. And i had this disorder not only with sweets, but with regular food. Dont try this...Just think that sweets are poison for you....

{mod edit to remove irrelevant website}

Do *not* have dates, fruits, or nuts if you're having a sweet craving. Go get a glass of water, walk around for a few minutes, phone a friend and chat for a couple minutes, something to distract you. If you're *still* feeling hungry after a couple minutes of distraction, think about if steamed fish and broccoli would be yummy right now (or some other bland meal designed that would take care of hunger but not really be tasty and delicious). If yes, steamed fish and bland veg sounds good, have a mini meal with protein, veggies, and fat. 

Giving in and having fruit isn't going to help you stop having those sweets cravings in the first place. 

Archived