Starting June 1st looking for accountability pals. Also any suggestions for preparation?

erinupstate

Joined a farmshare that starts May 31 so that's a good start--get to pick up my veggies on the farm Wednesdays after work so I am excited about that! Any tips that you've learned along the way to pass on to a newbie? Will scour the comments, especially for easy lunch and breakfast ideas. 

Would love some folks to check in with for accountability or to cry to about not having milk in my coffee ;) (for just a day or 2!) Good thing I am a yoga teacher--I can do some of this:

tantrum-yoga.jpg

Hi Erin, have you been shopping yet? I will be starting over the next few days! I am quite anxious about this and purchasing ingredients and making them into things (cooking) is NOT one of my strong points!!! I might starve! lol.

Hi Trev-

I am a decent cook, but I bought the Whole30 cookbook and was going to spend today (it's a holiday here)--putting meals in my meal planner app, which is called MealBoard. I just signed up for a farmshare, so that makes it a little tricky as I will go to a farm on Wednesdays to pick up vegetables and won't know exactly what I will get, but I can make an educated guess based on the seasonal vegetable schedule they have. Lots of spring greens right now, and peas, and soon strawberries!

I know Whole30 is integrated into another meal planning app--but it seems very expensive to me--so I will just continue to use the one I have where I can input recipes and then it generates the shopping list for me.

I am nervous too, as I feel unprepared, but trying to remember it is just like meal planning for any other week, except I will only use recipes from the cookbook. Also signed up for a paleo blog Nom Nom Paleo, which has a lot of asian style meals and 60 days of Whole 30 recipes. Also no recipe needed to cook a piece of meat and eat a vegetable with it so I will probably end up doing that a lot.

Where I am most worried about slipping--milk in my coffee! Seriously!

Saw your comments about trying to get all JUNE 1 people together. Not sure how we can do that, but I will try to follow some people today that mentioned that start date.  

Perhaps the rules have changed but I do believe coconut milk and almond milk are allowed in coffee as long as they are not the kind that have all the non-compliant additives in them.  Making almond milk or even coconut milk is surprisingly easy by the way.  

One of my lazy go-to fast meals is organic frozen cut green beans and a soy-free can of tuna or some ground meat.  I saute the greens directly from the freezer and then toss in the tuna or beef toward the end so it's hot when served.  It's not a bad idea to brown a pound of ground meat at the beginning of the week so you have it ready when needed during the week.  

Enjoy your fresh produce!  I get mine every Wednesday as well and love it.  

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Gangster_tinkerbell said:

I'm starting June 1st too!! Would love some accountability partners! I don't eat a lot of grains or dairy but I'm def gonna miss having chia seed pudding drenched in maple syrup for breakfast. Maple syrup is my weakness. Also, tequila.

LOL @ 'also tequila'...

I tell you guys and gals this program has already changed my life and my start date hasn't arrived yet!  I'm glad I gave myself plenty of time because I feel prepared and not stressed.  I have a fridge full of preparedness and pantry too.  I rearranged my kitchen and just.feel.pumped.

This a.m. I ran across a recipe on FB from the paleo people.  I made a few small changes to make it compliant.  DELICIOUS:

Pear Streusal Egg Muffins

Chop 4 pears to 1/2" pieces.  In a warm skillet add 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 3 tbsp water and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Saute pears til similar to chunky applesauce.  Keep stirring while:  in a bowl whisk 9 eggs with 3 tbsp coconut milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 1/2 tbsp almond flour and 1/4 tsp baking soda.  Whisk out any lumps.  Add 1/4 c finely chopped walnuts.  Add pears to the mixture, stir and fill greased or papered muffin cups.  Top with 1/4 c walnuts.  Bake 350 for 40 minutes.  (I added some organic grass fed ground beef from the fridge to the saute, and grated carrot.)

Have a wonderful successful day!

Hello!  I am starting tomorrow as well, I prepped some food last night and will do some more tonight so I have meals for tomorrow ready to go. Planning to do egg cups with onions, peppers and spinach in them that I can top with avocado and maybe some salsa for breakfasts this week.  I'm not much of a breakfast eater but I'm hoping that gets easier!  I'm doing chicken salad for lunch along with roasted veggies.  I had to start simple!  More time for cooking this weekend!  Did you find some simple recipes to get started?

1 hour ago, TrishBev said:

Hello!  I am starting tomorrow as well, I prepped some food last night and will do some more tonight so I have meals for tomorrow ready to go. Planning to do egg cups with onions, peppers and spinach in them that I can top with avocado and maybe some salsa for breakfasts this week.  I'm not much of a breakfast eater but I'm hoping that gets easier!  I'm doing chicken salad for lunch along with roasted veggies.  I had to start simple!  More time for cooking this weekend!  Did you find some simple recipes to get started?

Hi TrishBev, I got the cookbook and made a meal plan for the first week using the app mealboard, which generates a grocery list. I won't be able to go grocery shopping until tomorrow but today I picked up my farmshare which was mostly greens, but I got a whole chicken as well and I am cooking that now! 

On 5/29/2017 at 7:21 PM, Gangster_tinkerbell said:

I'm starting June 1st too!! Would love some accountability partners! I don't eat a lot of grains or dairy but I'm def gonna miss having chia seed pudding drenched in maple syrup for breakfast. Maple syrup is my weakness. Also, tequila.

I understand the don't make baked good substitute rule, but I don't why no no chia seed pudding rule if it is just almond milk, fruit, nuts and seeds--which is how I make it. Not sure I am willing to give that up seeing as there are not a lot of great breakfast options. I know there's no reason I can't eat salad in the morning, but IDK. I will be eating a lot of eggs and avocados. Frittatas? Ha, no tequila for me, so I won't miss that.

On 5/29/2017 at 6:34 PM, Ginsky said:

Perhaps the rules have changed but I do believe coconut milk and almond milk are allowed in coffee as long as they are not the kind that have all the non-compliant additives in them.  Making almond milk or even coconut milk is surprisingly easy by the way.  

One of my lazy go-to fast meals is organic frozen cut green beans and a soy-free can of tuna or some ground meat.  I saute the greens directly from the freezer and then toss in the tuna or beef toward the end so it's hot when served.  It's not a bad idea to brown a pound of ground meat at the beginning of the week so you have it ready when needed during the week.  

Enjoy your fresh produce!  I get mine every Wednesday as well and love it.  

True, re: almond and coconut milk, but it's just not the same, which is good because I am going to try and kick the coffee too, but will see how that goes. Yes, just picked up the farmshare!!! So lovely and lucky to have it!

3 minutes ago, erinupstate said:

I understand the don't make baked good substitute rule, but I don't why no no chia seed pudding rule if it is just almond milk, fruit, nuts and seeds--which is how I make it. Not sure I am willing to give that up seeing as there are not a lot of great breakfast options. I know there's no reason I can't eat salad in the morning, but IDK. I will be eating a lot of eggs and avocados. Frittatas? Ha, no tequila for me, so I won't miss that.

Oh no I think as long as you make it like that it's fine! It's the maple syrup that's problematic and because I treat chia pudding as a treat in an emotional sense I think for me personally it has to go.

3 hours ago, erinupstate said:

True, re: almond and coconut milk, but it's just not the same, which is good because I am going to try and kick the coffee too, but will see how that goes. Yes, just picked up the farmshare!!! So lovely and lucky to have it!

Coconut milk is delicious in Chai if you can find a compliant Chai in a store near you.  With teas, you need to read carefully to make sure there is nothing like stevia or soy lecithin in it.  Sometimes trying to kick coffee/caffeine while kicking everything else is a bit rough so switching to a tea to help with the transition is a trick I've seen quite a few people use.  You an ask for anyone who's done it if you would like to explore that idea.  Probably in the Food, drink, condiments forum section.  

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Gangster_tinkerbell said:

Oh no I think as long as you make it like that it's fine! It's the maple syrup that's problematic and because I treat chia pudding as a treat in an emotional sense I think for me personally it has to go.

This response is also for @erinupstate.  Chia pudding, regardless of how it's made is not on... it's extremely high in fat and a huge sugar load in the am, it has no protein or vegetables and basically is recreating 'cereal' type foods... Erin, you said there are not many options for breakfast... I beg to differ... anything you eat for any other meal is fine for breakfast... it can take some getting used to but just consider it 'deprogramming' from the Standard American Diet.  If you're tired of eggs for breakfast, google 'whole30 egg free breakfast' and you'll get tons of forum results for non egg breakfasts.  Leave the chia pudding and any and all similar concoctions (n'otmeal, fauxmeal) alone for the 30 days and eat real food 3 times a day.  

Archived