Starting today!

Lunarose

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, imaginepilates said:

Hi there, it took me a while to get started with meal planning and prep, but they aren't lying when they say that's planning and preparation are the key to being successful on Whole30. ;)  After being on it for 5 days, I'm so much better at it.  I also found a great crockpot meal planning guide (attached).  I did notice that my grocery costs are quite a bit higher this month because I didn't have a lot of the "start-up" items I need for the program. I believe it will get better in a few weeks.

Whole30-Slow-Cooker-Freezer-Meal-Plan-from-New-Leaf-Wellness.pdf

Hi, @imaginepilates it's been a lot better, thanks for asking. 2 nights in a row now I have NOT woken up in pain in the middle of the night. I'd call that a win. But I am exhausted from cooking every day and night when I get home, so I downloaded the slow cooker pdf - hopefully I can get used to all of this. The food is great but my hubs is getting bored as I've just been mixing and matching a few different veggies and proteins. So it's been simple and tasty but I have to change things up. :) Today is day 5 and I'm out of avocadoes and some other veggies, gotta shop after work.  

I feel super tired today, though. Like I'm sleepwalking. I printed out the map of the 30 days but now can't find it. I need to check my book. Must be a "nap" day. 

Keep up the great work, everyone! 

I will definitely look at that!! I tried 2 new recipes last night and both of them were awful. I went to bed feeling pretty grumpy about it, but I survived. :) I don't know if any of you like sugar snap peas, but I found a brand that is really really good...they stay crunchy even when you reheat them the next day! I'll attach a picture of the bag (they are from Wal-Mart). I just sautee them in ghee for a few minutes. 

Pic sugar snap peas.pdf

1 hour ago, coachgad said:

Hi, @imaginepilates it's been a lot better, thanks for asking. 2 nights in a row now I have NOT woken up in pain in the middle of the night. I'd call that a win. But I am exhausted from cooking every day and night when I get home, so I downloaded the slow cooker pdf - hopefully I can get used to all of this. The food is great but my hubs is getting bored as I've just been mixing and matching a few different veggies and proteins. So it's been simple and tasty but I have to change things up. :) Today is day 5 and I'm out of avocadoes and some other veggies, gotta shop after work.  

I feel super tired today, though. Like I'm sleepwalking. I printed out the map of the 30 days but now can't find it. I need to check my book. Must be a "nap" day. 

Keep up the great work, everyone! 

You are absolutely right...day 5 IS a NAP day!!! I was so incredibly tired the first 5-6 days! You are getting close to the time when you will start feeling better and getting your energy back. I feel like you too though with the food boredom. They talk a lot about that around Day 14-16 and suggest you try various different types of fats, etc. As you can see in my previous note, I tried 2 new things yesterday and didn't like either of them! :D

I hope you have better luck than me.

Hi, everyone! I have a couple questions which I've seen addressed on other threads, but I'm still confused. I'm on day 6 and have been having sweet potatoes every day except today (I have plantains today) plus either leafy greens or zucchini or carrots or all of the above together, along with the protein and fat and some fruit. Here are the questions:

1. At day 1 I was slightly backed up - it was Sunday and I hadn't had a bm since Friday - sorry to talk about poop but I wasn't sure where else to post this. I figured that this way of eating would have me right back on track right away, but Monday came and went and I still hadn't gone - that's 3 days. So I took some magnesium which I have in the house and often take to help me sleep, etc., because I knew it would help. Well, Tuesday morning came and I had breakfast followed by 2 hours of the runs. Forget about going to work, I was not going anywhere. Finally it was over and I started eating bananas (we had too many in the house and they are binding, so I figured they are a good choice) every day since Tuesday. By last night I realized that Wednesday and Thursday had passed and no bm! So I took mag again last night and this morning I went. My question is: am I eating too many bananas and/or starchy veggies - is that what could be stopping me up? Or do I need to have even more water? I had the 1/2 oz per lb of body weight but maybe because it's hot and humid, should I have a bit more? I haven't been working out too much in the last couple weeks, so I don't think that's dehydrating me or anything. Thoughts? 

2nd question: has anyone experienced a massive increase in being bitten by mosquitoes? I feel like maybe I'm putting out some kind of odor now that I'm not eating added sugars, etc. Walking my dog has been like walking through a jungle, it's ridiculous? Anyone ever hear of this? 

Also, funnily enough - my dreams started early. Last night I woke up in a panic that I'd eaten something off plan. It's only day 6! LOL

Thanks for all the support - I really appreciate it! Glad

@coachgad these seem like good questions for a mod to address, particularly when it comes to bm's ... I will say though that in my first week, my period was delayed by several days. Like, I had all the usual pms symptoms - cramping etc, but no period - it really freaked me out! My best guess is that in the first week there are so many changes happening in your body that maybe metabolism, digestion, hormones etc get out of whack. As for your second question, not sure because where I am we don't have a ton of mosquitoes right now, but I do know I was preeeetty stinky the first week or two, haha. Probably because I was detoxing. After the second week, it has gotten a lot better! Hope this helps, and hopefully a moderator can jump in too and provide more insight for you!

16 minutes ago, Lunarose said:

@coachgad these seem like good questions for a mod to address, particularly when it comes to bm's ... I will say though that in my first week, my period was delayed by several days. Like, I had all the usual pms symptoms - cramping etc, but no period - it really freaked me out! My best guess is that in the first week there are so many changes happening in your body that maybe metabolism, digestion, hormones etc get out of whack. As for your second question, not sure because where I am we don't have a ton of mosquitoes right now, but I do know I was preeeetty stinky the first week or two, haha. Probably because I was detoxing. After the second week, it has gotten a lot better! Hope this helps, and hopefully a moderator can jump in too and provide more insight for you!

Oh, that's interesting. Your period was off and you were stinky... that makes sense to me. I don't get periods anymore (hysterectomy) but I do get pms and am pretty sure now is the time I'd be feeling it... it feels slight, though, but constipation can be part of that, too. Thanks so much @Lunarose! You really made me think on this... hopefully a moderator will come on soon to see what they say as well. :)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, coachgad said:

My question is: am I eating too many bananas and/or starchy veggies - is that what could be stopping me up? Or do I need to have even more water? I had the 1/2 oz per lb of body weight but maybe because it's hot and humid, should I have a bit more? I haven't been working out too much in the last couple weeks, so I don't think that's dehydrating me or anything. Thoughts? 

2nd question: has anyone experienced a massive increase in being bitten by mosquitoes?

Hard to say, how many bananas and starchy veggies are you eating? What else are you eating and in what quantities? Have you had constipation issues in the past? We actually do recommend that people use magnesium as a bowel movement aid. You might just've used too much? I don't think I probably would have chased a day of the runs following days of constipation with a known binding item but bananas themselves aren't specifically constipating in my experience. Depends on how many you actually ate?

Never heard about the mosquitos before. 

@coachgad I had a bit of trouble with constipation in the beginning, and I wasn't eating very many starchy foods. Everyone is so different but for me really making sure I got lots of fat and fibrous veggies really did the trick. But carbs/starch do actually take more water to break down ( which is also why they tend to make me bloated I think!). Like she said ^^^ really depends on what else your eating. 

I've also had a couple food dreams now. They start off with me resisting and resisting food and then somehow by the end of my dream i'm eating something off plan and I'm so stressed! Then I wake up and it's so relieving that didn't actually eat anything:lol:

Day 17 was tough for me. I had a very stressful week and today I was very emotional. I am really craving some serious comfort food..... It just makes me realize I really do need the whole 30 days to hopefully work some of this stuff out. I also went off hormonal birth control a couple weeks before starting the whole 30 and I suspect that has been playing a factor in how I feel. I'm Just really hoping I can push through the whole whole 30 lol.

Oddly enough, I have spent my whole life going #2 much less frequently than most people, then about a month before I started the Whole30, I started having a lot of stomach cramping and panicky sprints to the bathroom at the most inopportune times! It was impacting me so much at work and turned errand running into a really stressful ordeal which is one of the biggest reasons I decided to do the Whole30. I also had to get on some medication from my doctor (hyoscyamine) to "reset" my gut. With that said, the only thing that I really noticed about my bowels is that there were certain days (the book predicts these days perfectly) when your body is making changes and causes you some quick sprints to the bathroom. Other than that, I have been fine.

Even though I am on Day 17, I just had my first food dream and it was terrible just like everyone else's. I dreamt that I ate an entire candy bar and remembered afterward that it was not Whole30 compliant. Just like you, I was devastated in the dream then woke up really thankful it wasn't real. The human mind is an interesting thing!!!

@Alisha Alexander, I really struggled this week too. My twin is detoxing from alcohol at the same time as I am doing this program. We both have really stressful jobs and yesterday was especially tough. We stayed on the phone with each other for an hour and a half after work to help each other from caving in to the comfort foods that have pretended to solve our problems for us our whole lives. It is really bizarre and difficult to NOT use food to temporarily solve your problems when you have been doing it your entire life! Keep it up...we can do this!

Sarah

Hope everyone had a good day. I survived making a birthday cake for my 10 year old today. Although my breakfast was lame and my lunch was almost non-existent, my dinner was good. I tried this new salsa (see attached picture)...it is sooooo good. Have a good night. Sarah

So how are you guys feeling? Day 19, tomorrow we'll be 2/3 of the way through!

I struggled this weekend. I don't know how to describe it, but cravings and poor attitude I guess. I almost feel like giving up. I know this isn't supposed to be a diet or be about restriction but that's how it feels to me right now. So because I feel really restricted with the foods I'm allowed to eat, I'm eating more of other foods (that are on plan) to satisfy my cravings, but now I'm overdoing it on things like potatoes and chicken wings (I LOVE potatoes). This doesn't seem like a healthy thing to be doing! I'm kinda nervous I'm not going to make it through the 30 days, but also that on day 31 I will just totally blow my reintroduction phase and eat a bunch of crap food. I know this is all mindset and hopefully I will snap out of it, but I'm just wondering how you guys are feeling and where your mindset is at? Remind me why we're doing this haha

@Alisha Alexander girl, I feel you! these past few days have been non stop for me so I haven't had time to make healthy meals, and I just have been feeling like I'm either starving all the time, or not eating very healthy.. I have also been relying a lot on chicken wings and potatoes, haha. One "food hack" I read about to make meals healthier is to add spinach. If it's a hot meal you can just put it under that and it will wilt it, or you can take one of those big boxes of baby spinach, and once it's sauteed it cooks down to a one-meal portion. Instant nutrition!

This evening I was so tempted to just stop and get fast food somewhere - I was stuck in traffic, hungry, tired, and fed up. But I didn't do it! I feel like we are so close, it is best to just take it one day at a time and do your best with it. I know *for sure* that if I ever do this again, I am definitely going to make a bunch of freezer meals ahead of time. Because you can only plan so much, and things come up in our schedules that we don't have any control over, and it is dang near impossible to find compliant foods when you're on the go! 

I am also realizing why they say you should really eat 3 full meals per day. With rushing around, I sometimes I have had just one meal and maybe a snack until dinner time, and it is definitely not enough. 

Anyways, if you have been keeping a journal or wrote down goals for your Whole 30, it might be good to go back and look at those. I hope the next few days are easier for you - in a few days there will only be one more week! And maybe for re-introduction, pick out the one food category you miss the most and start with that? So you don't go all out haha. I want to stay up til midnight on the 30th day and have champagne and ice cream (okay, maybe that is two categories). :) 

@Alisha Alexander and @Lunarose, it is so odd that you both wrote that because that is almost exactly how I felt today. I actually got on this forum twice today to talk to you guys, but I was feeling so grumpy, I couldn't think of anything positive to say so I didn't type anything.  I also felt really tired no matter what I ate and was completely unexcited about any food options I had in my kitchen. I was thinking things like, "if I could just have cheese, this would be better". :) I have spent so much money on things like Coconut Aminos, coconut milk, Ranch chia dressing, etc. and I can't seem to find those amazing recipes they keep saying you'll find if you just try new things. The book said food boredom is normal for this phase and so is the feeling of just wanting to be done, but I didn't see anything describing my tiredness today.

Here is what is keeping me going: There are several people that know I am doing this and I refuse to put myself in a situation where I have to say I only made it to ____ day of the program! I must get to Day 30 just so I can say I did!!! :D Another funny part of this is that since I am pretty overweight (starting weight 210 lbs), I can tell that a lot of people don't think I'll be able to finish this thing...I really want to prove them wrong! I know those are all extrinsic reasons, but they are helping!

Now that work has started back up, I am having a terrible time preparing meals in advance and an even harder time getting in 3 meals a day. I am sort of doing something similar to what you are doing with the potatoes, but with this amazing pineapple orange juice I discovered. 

I have been thinking soooooo much about the reintroduction days and I really want to do it right, but it is so hard to not eat all my favorite things on Day 31 (Pancakes, Pecan Pie and Chicken Alfredo, anyone?). I am going to have to come up with a really solid plan before that day comes so that I don't ruin everything I have worked for.

I have to admit, overall, I really do feel better and have much more energy throughout the day. I don't want that to go away. Also, lots of people have told me I look skinnier...that helps. Have either of you heard that from other people? 

I hope we all get some Tiger's Blood back tomorrow. We really can do this!!! Sarah

Haha @Lunarose champagne and ice cream yes!! sounds like a great idea :D 

@SarahSun I totally agree about wanting to put cheese on everything, seriously cheese makes everything better. Between cream in my coffee and cheese on my salads, for me dairy has been the hardest thing to go without. Like you, I have also told a few people that i'm doing this and I don't want to have to tell people I quit. Not that they would really care but It's definitely a motivation for me to just make it through. My energy has kind of plateau'd, I hope that I get a surge more near the end. I also need to start exercising more consistently, I think that may help with my energy.

I have had a few compliments from co-workers saying I look like I lost weight, which is really nice to hear. It also holds me accountable with co-workers asking me how it's going, and what day i'm on. I also bought some new pants today, a size smaller ;)

@Alisha Alexander,That is awesome! Just keep it up and being without dairy (in all it's glorious forms) will be worth it! I know this might sound stupid, but I want to find out how much sugar a person can have each day so that your body continues to burn fat for energy instead of glucose. My biggest fear, after the reintroduction phase, is that I will unintentionally consume too much sugar and confuse my body again. I just really really wish that pasta did NOT break down into sugar!

I know for sure that I am going to continue NOT drinking pop after the 30 days. I can already tell that I am a drink-it-all-the-time or none-at-all kind of girl, but I am hoping I can have a little pasta and bread without ruining all of my hard work.  :lol:

Congrats on getting through another day. Sarah

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SarahSun said:

Hey, that's weird...my name says "Advanced Member" under it. I wonder why?

It happens to everyone... I'm not sure if it's number of posts or time as a member but it happens to everyone :)  

Haha I noticed that too, you and lunarose are both advanced, I'm still a plain ol' member lol. But you two have more posts then me.

I'm also thinking a lot about the reintroduction phase, and as excited as I am to test dairy I am actually pretty sure It is a problem for me. I have cut it out for shorter periods of time and then added it back in only to have lots of GI upset, but hopefully I can narrow it down and find out if things like butter and goat cheese are things I can get away with.

I have read a lot of ketogenic, and primal books  that talk about being a fat burner not a sugar burner and my best advice @SarahSun is to really try to have your carbs later in the day. Our bodies are most insulin sensitive in the morning, so really focus on having most of your carbs at dinnertime. Carbs at dinner also helps with serotonin levels, and even getting a good sleep. That way you can get away with having more carbs and still waking up a fat burner the next day. This is something I have tried to do for awhile and I can tell you when I have carbs with breakfast it messes me up for the whole day, and even for a few days after. I can tell my body has switched back to being a 'sugar' (aka carb) burner basically in a day. But luckily it is easy to get back to being a fat burner quickly as long as you lay off the carbs the next day. However, the next day can be challenging because cravings come back full vengeance. I think this is why I was having such a hard time this weekend! I had potatoes with breakfast, and then lunch the next day! That being said everyone's carb tolerance is different and you will have to figure out what works for you. Exercise can also really increase the amount of carbs your body is happy with.

I have started a journal (on an app in my phone) to help me pay attention to HEC- hunger, energy and cravings throughout the day and what I am eating. Not a calorie counter but just something to check in with myself throughout the day and to notice patterns of how things make me feel. I would also recommend the whole30 book food freedom forever. I plan to re-read it as I get to the end of the 30 days.

Day 21. Bring it on. 

Day 2 for me. Prep was Sunday and oh boy it was long.... I gave up yogurt, cheese sticks and splenda about three weeks ago and have tweaked my coffee with coconut cream and a little bit of water to reduce the coconut taste. No headaches for me yet, but I'm just waiting for it... It seems like this is a lot of food. The food is similar to what I have been eating other than compliant ingredients. Also the protein and starch after my workout at 7:30 has me eating breakfast at 10:00 in the morning. I work from home most days. It seems like there is alot of food. Thinking about eating leftovers for dinner in my first week due to not wanting to throw it out The frittata was a serving for six for me. I can only eat so much. I stop when I am full. Looking forward to hearing other stories as well as support for the next 29 days.... 

@blgmw2, Congrats on joining the program! Get ready to be tired in the next few days, but don't worry, it won't last long. Let us know if you come across any good recipes you like. If you scroll up, you'll find a few we liked as we navigated through the program. I am currently on Day 21...very exciting to see that I really could do this!! So can you!

Sarah

@blgmw2 welcome! too much food is a good problem to have - I have learned that it is waaaay better than having not enough. Good on you for spending a day on food prep. 

Not much new to report here. Feeling pretty good and my husband said I am glowing! We've decided to keep eating whole 30 compliant foods as much as possible once the 30 days are up. Tonight we are having burger patties with compliant bacon (woohoo), tomato, avocado, and a sauce made of homemade garlic mayo and franks hot sauce. :D 

One of our favorite quick dinner items is frozen chicken wings with franks hot sauce - it's really the best buffalo wings I've ever had! I always put em on top of a big salad with compliant ranch dressing, to get lots of veggies too.

I finally made a good-sized lunch today - lunch seems to always be the meal that I miss if I am super busy. It was mixed greens, tuna salad (canned tuna, homemade garlic mayo, finely chopped red onion, red and green bell pepper), "petite olives", cherry tomatoes, and avocado. I added a bit of the oil from the olive jar to it too. :)

Hope y'all have a nice evening.

Archived