All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ShannonM816

Homemade Non Dairy Yogurt

Normally for whole30, we're all about the ingredients list and basically ignore the nutrition info with its grams of this and percents of that, but when you're wondering whether something counts as protein or fat, it can be helpful to look at the numbers. I don't know if you're making your own flax milk to make the yogurt from, or buying it, but just to demonstrate how this might work, I'll use the info from this flax milk: https://goodkarmafoods.com/buy-flaxmilk/unsweetened-flaxmilk/ If you look at the nutrition info, this has 0 grams of protein. So clearly it doesn't count as protein. In one cup of the milk, there's 2.5 grams of fat. According to this site: https://www.californiaavocado.com/nutrition/nutrients, there are 8 grams of fat in 1/3 of an avocado, and for whole30 purposes a serving of avocado is 1/2 to a whole one, so 12-24 grams of fat in a serving of avocado. So there's no protein and very little fat in your flax milk yogurt. It might be a nice addition to a meal, but it's just an extra, it's not really filling any of the major components of the meal. Obviously this could vary depending on the flax milk you start with. The one that I linked to, I noticed they make a version with extra protein, that might change how you use it. I would still try to compare it with other protein sources to see how much you'd need to aim for to be getting similar amounts of protein. You can do this comparison with any of the other options you've listed to see how they compare. Please note: counting calories and macros is still not in the spirit of Whole30. I'm talking more about doing some comparisons beforehand to decide how to incorporate foods into your meals, not tracking every bite to make sure you hit particular numbers. There will be variations in your macros from meal to meal, and that is fine, but the difference here between 2.5 grams of fat versus 12-24 grams could make a huge difference in how well your meal keeps you satisfied over the course of several hours.
  3. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

Did 10 minutes of yoga last night, didn't reach my step goal or hit any of the other ones, but I still have a lot of week left. Still planning to make my first foray to the gym this afternoon. M1-leftovers M2-chicken ceasar salad M3-probably chicken ceasar again
  4. Today
  5. MadyVanilla

RachelR- Start Date May 4, 2020

Wow, what great progress!
  6. Semi

FatGirl Slim

I wish you the best for your journey!
  7. Semi

Whole30 in Germany

Day 9: Have some bloating and gas since yesterday. Next time I will try to cook the peas longer, maybe this will help, some were still pretty hard. Breakfast will be some thing with eggs and fruits and avocado. M2: Potaoes, Spinach and eggs. M3: Something with meat. Probably some salad?
  8. Hi there, I'm 46 years old, have been on the W30 many times over the years - has always been awesome as a solid reset for me. Love the energy and always lose a kg or 2 in the process. Over the past 10 months or so I've been a little slack with my usually quite disciplined eating and put on about 5 kg, feeling tired and bloated etc. I thought I'd reign that back in by getting on a Whole30 for the last month and upping my Crossfit training from 3 to 4 times a week. I've also been doing yoga once a week, walk my dog and generally spend a lot of time outdoors. I started at 60.5 kg and am now 61kg. I've never experienced that before doing a Whole30 - anyone have any idea what might be happening? Usual-ish day of meals: Start with 1 cup of tea with homemade almond milk, 2 cups of coffee with almond milk. Breakfast is leftover dinner so maybe roast chicken and veg or chicken stirfry Morning tea: handful of almonds Lunch: tinned salmon with veg, avocado, sauerkraut, mayo Afternoon tea: apple with a spoonful of almond butter Dinner: roast/stir fry/meatballs/some kind of meat + 2/3 veg Drink plenty of water throughout the day and herbal teas. My work means I'm sitting all day. I get plenty of sleep - 9pm-530am. Thanks in advance for your help!
  9. RachelR

FatGirl Slim

Good luck!
  10. RachelR

Preparing for the fall - August Whole30

Good luck in your journey! I'm originally from Michigan but live in South Carolina now. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Michigander.
  11. Hi W30ers! If I want to eat flax mylk yogurt that I make myself, that is compliant in regards to ingredients .. would it be considered a fat since flax are seeds, or would it be a protein, what about if I used pumpkin seed mylk or hemp mylk ... hemp is listed as a protein for the vegetarian W30. Excited to hear your feedback. Thank you!
  12. RachelR

RachelR- Start Date May 4, 2020

I have been MIA.... Hope everyone is doing well. I'm proud to say that I have continued with primarily eating Whole30 foods. There have been a few conscious decisions to treat myself- small ice cream last week- as well as some choices to use food I have even if it isn't fully compliant-sausages w/ a bit of sugar in them, corn starch when I couldn't find arrowroot powder for a recipe, etc. I also made a batch of cookies yesterday because I have been wanting more sweet stuff. My thought is that if I have in moderation when I'm really wanting it- maybe it will prevent me from just going on a binge. I may end up throwing them out. So far my thoughts are- first bite was way to sugary sweet. I had a headache after eating two and felt more lethargic. But then later before bed- I was contemplating having more but I knew it was out of boredom. I had a couple more today when I got home from work. Again- serving size on packet said 2 so that is what I'm trying to stick to. Probably would have been fine with one. Honestly- probably didn't need any because it was only when I opened my pantry to put some groceries away that I smelled them and then wanted them. It's an experiment right now. Hopefully it doesn't blow up. I've doing better at making better decisions and still "treating myself." For example- Last week I just really did not want to cook anything. Didn't feel like going to Chipotle or Zoe's kitchen where I know I can stay whole 30. My mind kept going to McDonalds. I was so torn with myself because I knew whatever it was that I thought I wanted wouldn't taste good in reality. Anyway...I got in my car and all the way up to the stop light I kept debating with myself. In the end, I still chose to go and buy something but got a grilled market salad from Chick-Fil-A w/ honey mustard as well as a large fry. Have to say- the fries were not great. The salad was good and I enjoyed the honey mustard as I haven't had any sugary dressings. I may be going down a slippery slope OR last week was just tough and I needed to slack off a bit??? We'll see.... I still struggle with really feeling like I've made progress when it comes to day in and day out and how my body moves and feels. My energy still isn't where I hoped it would be but overall I have to remind myself that I am doing a lot better than I was several months ago. I have to keep reminding myself to focus on the things I have seen change in order to continue with my motivation to keep going forward. My clothes are fitting better and even some things are too big now. What I hate is the mind-fuck that occurs with women's clothing sizes. I can comfortably fit in to my size 18 Old Navy Rockstar skinny jeans but I cannot fit in to my size 18 dress pants from a brand sold at Target. Again, I have to go over and over to myself about the progress I've made and that with time, those clothes will fit again too. As far as walking on the treadmill and doing the arm toning video. I wasn't as consistent with the treadmill as things came up on my mom's schedule and instead of walking without her the few days, I just vegged out and been watching The Crown (just started season 3 today). With the arm video- my goal was to do it 4x/week. I did ok the first 3 weeks and then the last week in July- I only did it once. I don't see much of a difference in my photo of my bicep but I can feel a bit of a difference. I want to keep going with it and become more consistent with this simple video. Hopefully in September, I'll feel ready to add in some more exercise. Anyway.... I've lost 29.2 pounds since May 3rd. Here is my progress pictures and my measurements: Here are the results: (Measured myself so they may not be exactly accurate). S=start; C=current Waist @ belly button- S= 53.5"; C= 50 1/4" Waist @ narrowest point- S= 45"; C= 41" Hips- S= 54"; C= 50 3/4" Thighs- Right- S= 29 3/4"; C=27 1/2" Left- S= 30"; C= 28 1/2" Calves- Right- S= 18 1/4"; C=17" Left- S= 18 3/4"; C= 16 3/4" Biceps (making a muscle)- Right- S= 17 1/2"; C=17 1/4" Left- S= 17 1/4"; C= 17 3/4" Wrists- Right- S= 7 1/4"; C= 7" Left- S= 7 1/4"; C= 6 7/8" Neck- S= 15"; C= 14 1/4" Bust- S= 49"; C= 46 3/4" (not sure if this is right but I measured twice) Chest S= 43"; C= 40 1/4"
  13. Yesterday
  14. ShannonM816

Tomato Gazpacho Soup

Right, that would be out for Whole30.
  15. Natalie Aguirre

Tomato Gazpacho Soup

So would you go with a no to this?
  16. ShannonM816

Clarification on the Fast Track intro...

Yes, once you've done reintroductions you can eat whatever you want.
  17. ShannonM816

Tomato Gazpacho Soup

The sodium bisulfite that looks like it's in the lemon juice wouldn't be naturally occurring.
  18. Natalie Aguirre

Tomato Gazpacho Soup

Hi! Could someone tell me if this soup would be compliant?! I can’t tell if the sulfates from the sherry vinegar would be naturally occurring or added, same with the sodium bisulfute?!
  19. scoobydooby1969

Clarification on the Fast Track intro...

Thank you! So when then ten days of the fast track is over you can combine all food groups then...?
  20. Ann112

Who else is starting on August 3rd?

Hi I started July 29, so I have 5 days in. I did whole30 starting in December 2018 and felt so good I stayed in program for 6 months. I have struggled to get back on track ever since. I’m happy to have six days in so far this time. Not feeling great yet but hoping to feel better in weeks to come!
  21. Ginsky

Gin's 6th Whole30 Log

Day 3 The passing storm really did a number on me. Weather headaches are kind of my thing. lol I decided early in the morning (about 1am) that the hamburger soup would be my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I did dice up a yellow squash to add a little bit of extra veggies to it though.
  22. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Day 7 yesterday: 8/2/20 -- I don't have anything to say about yesterday. It was compliant & fine. Today I found out some news that I might want to bury in a bottle of wine tonight. But guess what? That news will still be there tomorrow. And the next day. And the next. Forever. So I won't.
  23. Semi

Whole30 in Germany

I'm histamin intolerant, so I'm allergic to stuff like pollen, fish, some nuts etc That also means I'm more sensible to stuff with much histamin in it (like red wine, even if I can consume small amounts). And bc of the eczema that also means I am sensible to Vitamin C rich foods ( so I don't eat oranges, bc then I'm itching). Got the 3 yo to eat the "pancakes" yesterday and today she at least drank the soup from the curry. Maybe I will get her to eat at least some veggies m( She never ate stuff that looked like cartoon (save for dino chicken nuggets)...but she is addicted to soft pretzels and so picky m(
  24. MadyVanilla

Contessa's Food Freedom

The shame, ah the shame! I'm 50 pounds overweight, but I don't have food issues. I am so happy for you continuing to find opportunities to feed your core being, to support yourself in staying checked in. It is a hard concept to put into words, but I definitely know it when I'm doing it well. And when I'm not, when I'm petulantly ignoring myself. It's like meditation, you wander away, but just come back and you'll get better each time you try. Your serene, meandering walk down this path is evident. Your "at peace"-fulness shines through your post. Your OA group sounds fantastic! and just right for you at this moment. Here's to a week of self-kindness and working toward goals.
  25. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

It's amazing how quickly things fall apart, lol. My son moved out yesterday - I'm officially an empty-nester. I've known this was going to happen for a month but it was as if I wasn't prepared. I went over to help vacuum and clean...and that was that. Ugh. This is hard. And I felt that only a Dairy Queen blizzard could drown the emotions bubbling up from deep down. I felt so awful afterward, my stomach bloated to three times it's normal size and ACHED. I know I should have called a friend (well, I did, but didn't get into details about the day) but I did not want to deal with the feelings. I didn't want to cry. I should have gone for a walk. But I just wanted to wallow. And so I did. Miserably so, with my knotted up tummy. It hurt so much I couldn't even do yoga once I came to my senses and thought I should attempt healthier outlets. I took a bath and watched a movie. That helped. I think part of my issue is feeling so alone in all this - my husband grilled himself a steak and proceeded to get drunk like he does so many other nights. He spent a good portion of the day at our son's new place, installing venetian blinds etc. He fancies himself as the cool dad, and I think he might be buying beer for these 18/19 year olds, which of course I do not agree with. This empty-nest thing is not going to be easy. All this means is that the house is now free of most junk foods. I can truly focus on myself. While I'm still feeling a little down this morning, it helps to come here to read and write. Restart Day 1 Mood-4, Energy, 5, Pain -5 in my shoulder. My knees feel fine. I cannot walk the dog right now, though - she's trained to walk on my left and jerked that arm chasing a squirrel the other day. This shoulder was already hurting due to push-ups. I need to give it some time to heal. I'm going to go out for a walk by myself later today. M1-A hamburger patty. I was tottering on the edge of making poor choices for today...the hamburgers were in the fridge and so no prep was required. I'm glad now that's what I ate, because I'm feeling better about having a compliant day. M2-chicken salad with salted cucumber slices M3-chicken Caesar salad with Primal Kitchen dressing. My goals for August: 30 days of yoga, even if it's just a few minutes. 8,000 steps, 3 times a week, increase by one day each week up to 5x/week. If I hit 8,000, I usually get more than that, but I've been slacking the past two weeks. I should note that it has been nearly a year since I tore up my knee (with pre-existing arthritis) such that I had to do physical therapy and rarely got over 2,000 steps/day. It has been a very long road to get to the point to where I can tolerate a 3+ mile hike (mostly accomplished during quarantine). 2 days per week in the gym, doing barbell work. I've been leery to return - tomorrow is the day. Work the C25k program - I'm looking at doing a virtual 5K on October 17th. I've put it on my calendar to sign-up for it next Monday. Get on a schedule for meal planning and grocery shopping - Saturday mornings are typically best for me to do this, but I've been off schedule for weeks. My reward: a pair of Rothy's shoes. I've been looking at them for ages, but they are kind of expensive. A worthy and desired carrot for meeting my goals.
  26. Kendal_C

Who else is starting on August 3rd?

My husband and I started this morning. I spent yesterday meal prepping to set us up for success!
  27. MadyVanilla

Preparing for the fall - August Whole30

Your meals look delicious!
  28. MadyVanilla

Shadow’s May 2020 Whole30

Recalling, restarting, re instituting those healthy habits that work. The NSVs are what keep us coming back!
  1. Load more activity