All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. C.B.

Round 3.2 - Learning As I Go

Day 2 I felt bloated all day and my guts have been in knots, still feeling the effects of bingeing on Friday and Saturday. I learned just how out of whack my body can become from eating certain foods, especially dairy. I felt like I was facing down different foods all day long and the afternoon was a struggle BUT i am ending the day on a very positive note, having had one of the most mindful, powerful yoga classes I've experienced. I am ending the day feeling balanced and grateful for the decisions I am making to change my relationship with food. I am eating more seafood now, and aiming to have a higher fat and protein breakfasts with more carb-dense veggies later in the day. I have been eating tofu today and yesterday but as I mentioned in Day 1 I am going to phase out legumes starting tomorrow and transition to more seafood and some red meats, for now at least.
  3. OMG that is a lot of tomatoes! And marinara! Mm, pizza casserole, what time is dinner?? LOL. Summer abundance is upon you! How do you account for the bumper crop of tomatoes? The rain? TLC, love, and gratitude, right? I'm sorry you had trouble sleeping! I finally broke down too and took some of my hubby's sleep aid. It works. Ach. Huh? I'm too dim to understand this...forgive me, please explain. Yes, I need to send Renaissance woman a beautiful ty card! I know, distilling the oils sets a new standard of domestic goddess-hood. AND she makes jewelry, I learned. She's so humble and poised, too, that's what I also really love about her. Rose geranium sounds very intriguing...I have splurged on some rose absolute and am waiting for it to arrive = ) Once I had some perfumey rose EO but it wasn't the real thing, it was for candles and such, but I used it anyway, and came to think better of it, and gave it to someone for her candle-making. I LOVE the idea of custom scenting unscented Dr. Bronner's and have yet to do that. I think the peppermint is my favorite of all their varieties, though I haven't tried them all - hard to beat the tingling, especially in summer. Speaking of soap, I am due for a bath right about now after a long, sweaty, hot day. Jeez it's hot. But I wanted to say... Yay, little Maybelle!!!!! All that uncertainty about what's making things better or worse sounds very familiar. It sounds like she is happy and feeling good in her body, getting up the hillside and hanging out with her peeps. That's so encouraging! And chicken feet for bone broth! And she's hanging out in the cat cave, that's awesome! You guys are doing a great job taking care of her. A cat has her mysterious ways, and her own timing. You must be very gratified, as I think you laid down some real dollars for that, in addition, right? You did good! The redwoods aren't getting worse, so that's good. They're 40-50 feet tall! Sigh. A little too high to mist, but I like the way your brain works, and it gives me a yearning for the foggy landscape from whence I come. We're giving them the best shot we can, and really hope to not lose them. I think they'll be okay. I am learning so much, and about what I'll have to do in the fall and winter. I'm going to do a LOT of sheet mulching. So I'm saving up a lot of cardboard (oh, THAT'S why I still have our moving boxes in the garage!), and I'll lay it down in the beds and cover it with mulch, and let the winter rains soften it all up, to kill the weeds, and then I'll be able to dig right through it when it's time to plant. I'm excited about that part, as it will help get in front of the unbelievable weeds. But I'm sure you know all about solarizing, because you're an old pro at gardening. Wah! Your husband pulling the privet out with the truck! Yep, that reminds me of the nuisance Chinese heaven, or trees of heaven they are sometimes called. They send those runners, and if it weren't such a nuisance, it would be terribly impressive, wouldn't it, mother nature at her most determined. I just looked up privet, and it's from Asia, too! Of course, a lot of common horticulture varieties come from the Asian world if I'm not mistaken. Tonight I made Nom Nom's orange dijon chicken, which hungry husband polished off, and I barely have enough food to get me through breakfast and lunch...I think shrimp patties are next up, and maybe a pot of chili, since I have all the ingredients on hand and I haven't made it in a while. But I made another batch of tzatziki yesterday so I should also make something I can use it with...did I tell you I finally made the Turkish Doner kabobs right after the gyros, and they went very well together. Maybe it's time for some Greek sliders. Will you guys be taking any summer trips? To the bath!
  4. Today
  5. LadyWolf0926

LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

Crazy busy day today. I have to make sure that I'm taking the appropriate time in the morning to make breakfast so I'm not eating too late. I made the mistake of logging in to my laptop to check emails first thing in the morning and, next thing I know, it's 10:00. Then I'm rushing to get my meal in between conference calls, and it sets my day off schedule. Otherwise, it was a good day and I slept well! Need to start setting alarms on my phone to make sure I'm getting my water in, but that's the only area I am still struggling in. Again, I get busy with work and forget. Finished the bone broth and it came out good! Packed some up in the freezer and the rest in the fridge. Used it in the pan roasted chicken tonight, and the family really liked it! Despite it being 90+ degrees outside, I'm thinking of making some soup; that's how good it smelled (and tasted). I can honestly eat soup regardless of how hot the weather is, and I'm thinking of using the bone broth to make a really yummy Thai soup called Tom Yum Moo Sub. I had it when I traveled to Seattle for work last year and loved it! I'm sure I'll have to sub out some ingredients for compliant ones, but it'll be worth the effort to find the recipe! Breakfast - omelette filled with crab red curry topped with avocado, tomato and red chilli flakes. Coffee with Nut Pods Lunch - chicken salad with onion, celery and Primal Kitchen garlic aioli mayo with tomatoes and green leaf lettuce wraps. Blueberries. Dinner - pan roasted chicken with fresh herbs, lemon and bone broth. Pan grilled zucchini with Cajun seasoning. Carrots with ghee and a sprinkling of gochugaru. Finished with an organic white peach. Off to bed soon. Tomorrow is another crazy busy day!
  6. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Yes, I knew what you meant but thanks for clarifying! I wil listen to my body . Thanks for the helpful feedback! I bought the kindle version of It Starts With Food today so I can start following the template better. I also might try and be better about eliminating foods for autoimmune disorders (the AIP version of whole30) because that might be hindering my progress. I definitely have to switch out the white potatoes in the morning with some baked sweet potatoes and I'll figure the rest out as I go... I posted everything I ate todatein the post above, which I think ended up being thr last post of Page 1.
  7. Amy_Michigan

Day 7 continued Today I had my Dr. Praegers hash browns (3 hashbrown patties are one serving so I just stick with that) and an Rx bar for breakfast. At work I had an apple and a pear. For lunch I had a large salad that I made at WholeFoods. It had about 2-3 cups of lettuce (including kale, spinach, and spring mix), About 1/4-1/2 cup of hardboiled egg crumbles, 1/2 cup of chopped chicken breast, a few slices of cucumber, a sprinkle of shredded carrots, 5 large cherry tomatoes, a sprinkle of red cabbage, 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1-2 tsp red wine vinegar, and a sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds. Some black coffee with my lunch. I was really hungry after thay but I was working and didn't have any food left. Eventually I wasn't hungry anymore. On way way home from work I stopped and bought some Honest unsweetened green tea (checked ingredients first) and an 8-pack of La Croix sparkling water. I had 1 of those sparkling waters when I got home. I also had lots of water today but didnt track it. For dinner I ate a large banana. I wasn't hungry after that, so I skipped dinner which is the first time I've done thar in forever and believe me I'm not going to make that a habit. It was just kind of a stressful day. I think I'm going to start seeing a therapist for the first time in my life to help me deal with some anxiety I feel at work. I don't know, maybe it will help with other things too, like people relationships and my relationship with food ...not exactly sure at this point. Probably won't be about food since most likely going to just talk about anxiety. But I guess it could be related, who knows? 
  8. Jihanna

On re-reading, I realize I meant that generalized statements don't mean your specific body doesn't react (I wrote it backwards)... but I gather you got the gist. I'm a big believer in there being no one-diet-fits-all because each body is unique, with a unique set of factors in play, so it's up to each of us to find what works for us. We can take information like what's on the website into consideration, but ultimately our experience with a food (or food group) will weigh most heavily when we decide what should and shouldn't be included in our continuing diet. Good luck!
  9. SchrodingersCat

Exercise & Whole30

Elete electrolyte ferrous are whole 30 approved and available on Amazon!
  10. Yesterday
  11. oh pain in neck and shoulder and hands still inflammed.
  12. went to dietitian today. Since July 2 I am down 10 pounds. weekend trip went well. I nailed it except for Saturday night when I ate out and they sprinkled some cheddar cheese on my cobb salad! ARGHHH. Nonetheless we press on. I am feeling pretty good, no real cravings.I craved something crunchy but celery is getting me through
  13. ashleyparik

What 1 thing helps you most during Whole30?

Hi Pam, For me, The Whole30 Day by Day book/journal was a game changer. There's motivation, tips and tricks for each day throughout your Whole30. You also log your meals, non-scale victories, sleep and energy levels and more. I personally like to write things down and go back to reflect, so the Day by Day book was extremely helpful for me. Here's a link to the book- I got mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Whole30-Day-Daily-Guide-Success/dp/0735234744/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2QZYEHZ7EDEC1&keywords=whole30+day+by+day&qid=1563831985&s=gateway&sprefix=whole30+da%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-2 I hope this is helpful. Best of luck this go around, and please continue to utilize the forum for support
  14. ashleyparik

Whole30 (round 2) here we come!

Absolutely, you can read about the certification process here: https://coach.whole30.com/join-team/ Each coach has to take and pass multiple certification tracks in order to get their coaching certificate.
  15. ashleyparik

July 29th- one week from today!

Hi and welcome! We are so glad you're here! I always tell my clients to make sure you know your "why." Why are you starting a Whole30? Write it down, post it around the house, and keep it in mind when things get tough. Knowing your "why" is SO important! Also, being prepared is key! Meal prepping will be a life saver, so I would suggest having a few meals in mind for next week and prepping them on Saturday/Sunday so you can grab and go. I also found The Whole30 Day by Day journal to be a game changer. You can find it on Amazon, and you can track your meals, your non-scale victories (NSV's) your energy and sleep levels, along with trip and tricks to help get you through each day. I hope this helps. Please continue to use this space for support and encouragement. That's what it's here for! Best of luck!
  16. ashleyparik

Janielu715

That's absolutely the right mindset!!!
  17. Jihanna

Regarding the website information -- remember that just because they say there's no evidence that gluten worsens or improves inflammation in a general sense DOES NOT MEAN that your specific body has a reaction to it, even if you don't have celiac. Keep in mind, also, that there are a lot of non-gluten grains out there, some of which might be an option for you. As to whether the information is out of date, I wouldn't know, sorry. In my own reintroduction experience, I planned it out while leaving flexibility for recovery time, if needed. It was a slow reintroduction, but I had the opportunity to reintroduce specific items rather than sticking to whole food groups (like doing rice one day, then compliant W30 for 2 days, then oats as my next test). This might be something you'd want to consider in order to help you find things that will really work for you. Regarding caloric intake, I honestly haven't counted my calories in over a year. I guarantee you I was eating far fewer calories when I was strictly Whole30 than prior to starting it (or in the time since, if I'm honest)... but I never bothered to sit down and see what it looked like. I believe it's far more important for us to feel healthy and not feel or be starving than it is to limit our calories, and that's part of what I appreciated about W30's approach to it all. Some days my portions were quite large, some days they were quite small, and my homemade salads were huge (I got into a habit of using an entire head of Romaine as the base of my salad and building up from there!). Regarding hunger -- following the template, you really and truly shouldn't have to feel hungry. It might take some tweaking to find your "perfect" balance, but it should be possible for you to not feel like you're suffering between meals. If you want to share what you've been eating (and the basic amounts of things, even guestimates), I'd be happy to give any feedback that seems relevant (and I'm sure others will also, if they read it). Regarding cheese -- I hear you, I truly do. I'm allergic to dairy myself, so I totally understand how difficult it can be to avoid if it's not homemade!
  18. Jihanna

Exercise & Whole30

The tablets above have Sucralose listed as a sweetener, which makes them non-compliant even if everything else is okay (I didn't check all of the ingredients after seeing that one). Making an electrolyte drink at home is actually not difficult, and might be an option if you want to avoid purchasing new tabs to use during your Whole30 but still replenish electrolytes during your activities. Just remember to skip any non-compliant ingredients (like not adding anything to sweeten it, beyond natural fruit juice). Here's a post that gives some good ideas: https://wellnessmama.com/2575/natural-sports-drink/
  19. Jane Bruno

Janielu715

I am day 20 now, and just realized when I was browsing through the Whole30 book again, that in a hasty shopping I purchased Braggs aminos and used them on day 16,17 and 18. So I have shopped this afternoon, and am prepared to start again. So instead of picking up at day 2, I am just starting at day 1 again tomorrow. But I don’t have a feeling like-“Oh, I screwed up, let me have pizza!”. No, I am just brushing myself off and starting over. Thank you for your support!
  20. Amy_Michigan

Something I struggle with after Whole30s is reverting back to my old lifestyle. I know I don't have to go there until reintroduction, but if I don't start planning now, am I going to have a successful reintroduction period? I don't know how it's possible if I don't plan ahead. I always skipped reading that part of the "It Starts With Food" book, I think. Because of course my thinking was "I'm not to that part yet - I'm not interested". I think I'm going to find a kindle version of that book and read it again. Of course my hope is that I can maintain a lifestyle of minimal sugar and processed food after the Whole30. And no dairy, because I'm 95% sure that was my food sensitivity I discovered on my first Whole30 that caused me horrible stomach pains during reintroduction that basically prevented me from living my life for a day. Cheese is everywhere though. I went to WholeFoods today and every single prepared salad had cheese on it, not individually packaged. So I had to make my own from the fresh food take-out area of WholeFoods and I accidently wound up spending $12 on my lunch. And two hours later I am hungry AGAIN. It was an awesome salad- Hardboiled egg crumbles, chicken, spring mix, extra other lettuce, extra kale, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red cabbage, shredded carrots, and evoo/vinegar. It was better than any salad I've made at home so far and much faster to put together obviously. All of those articles about overweight people regaining all of their lost weight due to not being able to maintain a low calorie lifestyle has me SCARED. For me, 1200-1500 is VERY low calorie, even though I know it is normal for average women. I wonder if my body will ever not feel hunger pains when I eat that amount of calories? Probably not. I need more hobbies to distract myself. If I rest and start feeling how empty my stomach is between meals, I'm just going to allow those hunger pains to sneak out into awareness. A lot of people that have paleo lifestyles after Whole30s can eat all of the calories they want, basically, and don't seem to gain weight. But that could be due to the amount of exercise/calories they are burning. Cross fitters = goals. But just finishing a whole30 is daunting right now. One step at a time. Another food besides dairy I want to continue excluding after my whole30 is gluten. The lupus foundation doesn't say gluten is bad for autoimmune diseases, but I feel like I should play it safe just in case. It's hard to know whether paleo spokespeople talking about leaky gut syndrome and evil gluten is real. If it is real, or if it had any reputable research supporting it, why is my go-to autoimmune disease resource saying to eat whole grains? From https://www.lupus.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition-with-lupus : "If you also have celiac disease, a gluten-free diet is critical. Otherwise, there is no evidence that gluten worsens or improves inflammation in any other autoimmune disease such as lupus. If you haven't been tested for celiac disease, there is a blood test that can be done to detect it." This is so ridiculously annoying. Is this just out of date information? The date says 2013 at the bottom so it is likely it is out of date. This website is supposed to be my lifeline for support and advice - to answer all of my questions about my disease. If they are giving me out of date information I will be so MAD. I wish I could have trust in these organizations. At this point I don't, though. It's my body, and I have to think about myself.
  21. I'm with you on that vicious cycle of not sleeping well! It's been awful. Last night I was so desperate for a good night's sleep that I took one of my husband's sleeping pills. We had a crazy-productive weekend that wore me out and being sleep deprived on top of that left me feeling awful. It also led to some "I'm too tired to care" food decisions. I feel much better today and can bask in the glory of all of the work we did this weekend. Tomatoes! Billions and billions of tomatoes! We got our first tomato sauce cook-up going- 16 quarts before they cooked down and run through the food mill! After I pulled some out for meatball soup and nom nom's Italian sausage and kale bake, we had two (!!) gallons of marinara sauce. That doesn't include the gallon of green tomatoes that I got started like Kosher dill pickles. Later this week we'll probably have a repeat performance. This is, by far, the most productive the 'maters have been in several years. I still haven't gyro-ed! Maybe tonight?? I'm so glad you like the tzatziki!! Yay! I need to work on a canned salsa, too. My husband loves salsa so I'd love to turn our bounty in to some so I don't have to buy the $5/jar stuff. Oh, your Renaissance woman sounds so magical. How amazing that she distills her own oils! Love and gratitude- best ingredients ever. I might have to steal that And I thought we were pretty out there making our own products! Ha! I got rose geranium by mistake a couple of years ago but it turned out to be one of those good mistakes; I love it. I add it to unscented Dr. Bronner's to shower with. I'm afraid to say it out loud but (maybe) Maybelle has gained about a half pound?? I stopped giving her ice cream because I was thinking that it might be making things worse but it's so hard to tell. More frequent poop? more watery? a little better today? maybe?? I don't know! She's eating and drinking a lot and has been hanging out on the deck and wandering the hill every day. My husband found chicken feet at Walmart! Now the broth that I make her is super chicken jello! Yesterday she got in that cat cave I got a couple of months ago! It made me happy to think that I got her something that makes her feel cozy even if it did take her forever to decide it was safe. How big are those redwoods? That's so cool but then not-cool that they aren't in a good environment to thrive. I don't know how big they are but would spraying them with a hose or mister help them feel more at home or would it just prolong an anguished life? Your invasive tree sounds much like the privet that we battle here. It sends out runners and turns into shrubs and trees. It's all over and it's just awful. My husband started chaining them to the trailer hitch on his truck, putting it in 4-wheel drive and pulling them out of the ground. He's got a couple of pretty good dents to show for it but it sure is gratifying when they're gone even if it is temporary. We need to have some trees removed, too but we keep putting it off because, yeah, ouch! The one we were really worried about falling on the house fell uphill and isn't a threat anymore. It still needs to be removed, though along with a few others. Like you, the previous owners didn't keep up. It's so fun to be able to add some native plants. That is something that I want to do but haven't been able to squeeze in the time/money/energy to make it happen. Every year we learn something new, though, and every year mother nature throws us a different curve ball that teaches us even more.
  22. Marianne&Daniel

Protein Powder

Thank you!
  23. Marianne&Daniel

Whole30 (round 2) here we come!

Thank you so much! Can I ask how you became a certified Whole30 coach?
  24. This is exactly what happened after my first whole30 I did years ago. I don't know why I'm doing one again, except for the fact that I fit into the "all or nothing" category of people that eats all the sugar in the room normally, or none of it on the Whole30 or eating paleo. I know my body eventually adjusted back to eating all of the stuff I found out I was sensitive to (without horrible stomach cramps), but I wish I had been disciplined enough to cut out the foods causing me those problems and then never look back. Nothing wrong with trying again... so wish me luck in my Whole30 -Take Two.
  25. lottabelle

Exercise & Whole30

Hello, Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. So would I be having these over and above my breakfast, lunch and dinner? Is it ok not to for my morning run? The brand of tablets I have is Zero High 5 Electrolytes, Would these be ok? Also what would you recommend I take with me on my longer runs. I used to take a few gummie sweets but these are obviously not allowed. Thank. you Laura
  26. I'm off to grocery shop for the my Whole30 that starts tomorrow. I'm not a person who typically gets into apps, journals, or gadgets to help me through the process, but I am curious what 1 thing people find the *most* helpful to them during the 30 days. I'd be willing to try something. Is it an app? A specific cooking utensil (wok-pressure cooker-freezer)? Journal? Lists? Website? A Whole30 partner? This Forum? I've done the Whole30 several times over the past 7 years, but not for quite a few years now. I've been gluten/casein free, Paleo, grain free, vegan... lol... you name it. I like playing with food and food lifestyles. For me this is another jump start to get back to eating meals and not snacking my day away on dark chocolate almonds (I always stray away from meals). I love to cook, and I have the time right now to do so. I am not a big meat eater. Weight loss is not my goal. Thank you!!!! Pam
  27. KaraS

Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

Day 16. Husband has gone from little help to no help. He is stepping in the scale and hating the food and lost a ton of weight. I am not doing this for him it’s 100% for me. So I did all the shopping and cooking by myself with 3 kids and birthday parties this weekend. I think he will come around but I wish I had more help now. The update on medical doctors and candida is that they can’t help me and told me they go see a natural path Dr. Which of course is not covered by insurance. Dr’s break my heart. They could not or would not even recommend anything. As if an overgrowth of yeast is an imaginary thing. Even though it was shown on a blood test. I have wanted to quit but I won’t. This has been hard and painful but I know it is because of how unhealthy I am on the inside. I am even considering extending my whole30 just to really give my system a reset. I don’t think I can get rid of a year of candida in 30 days. I am still having sugar cravings and have kept eating at least 4 Rx bars per week last week. I know it’s not healthy but it was the complaint option I had available during these parties (3 this weekend) ice cream social chilli cookoff/ baked good events birthday party. I hope you guys are enjoying tigers blood, I’m not there yet.
  28. KaraS

Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

Guys I needed to read this article https://whole30.com/2018/02/dear-melissa-perfect-whole30/
  1. Load more activity