All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I'm on day 18 and nary a hint of Tiger Blood in sight. I've been following the template of a good protein (venison, chicken, eggs, or salmon cakes) plus lots of veggies (squash, turnips, cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, mixed with some greens like broccoli and spinach). I'm trying to limit nuts since they don't always play nice with me, so I don't have more than one serving per day. I try to have avocado or Whole30 may instead, or MCT oil in a pinch. I've limited my fruits to apples or berries. I rarely snack and I haven't been doing pre and postworkout meals because my workouts are relatively low intensity. Breakfast today was Melissa's chicken hash, cauliflower/sweet potato rice, carrots, and half an avocado. Lunch was yellow squash, turnips, ground venison, and sweet potatoes, plus some applesauce. Dinner was wild pork tenderloins and sweet potatoes with Whole30 mayo. Right now, I'm just not hungry. I can workout but they're not great and I'm pretty tired afterward. My sugar demon was pretty out of control, so I don't expect to be turning cartwheels after just one round, but I just wonder what I'm doing wrong. Am I not eating enough? I feel full at most meals but then wake up hungry in the morning. This is my third round in the last 7 years and I tend to either be Whole30 or a complete mess (though I haven't had gluten or much dairy since my very first one back in 2013). I'm just feeling discouraged. I'm not going to quit because this is the best decision for my health, but dang. Today has been a rough day.
  3. Yesterday
  4. Yikes, I know it's too busy when I don't have time to post on our thread! Whew! It's been a very productive week. How's your rental? Sometimes it can be fun to drive a rental, hopefully it's safe in the snow! My friend has to get a double mastectomy. Wah. And another friend is in her fourth year of breast cancer treatments, and starting a new round of chemo...tarting next week I'll take her to her weekly chemo appointments on my errand day, which, next week is also my mammogram day (our friend who used to take her died a few months ago, and she is hoping the widower will give her his late wife's wigs as she expects to lose her hair, and she is handling it all with humor and style, what a woman!!!!), and we'll get to hang out...she is a love, and I adore her, so this will be good...and also challenging, but I feel good about it. Sigh. I'e been mostly compliant, and feeling good. Getting the vitamins and supplements back onboard is showing me that the joint supplements do help, as my knees are feeling better. The coleslaw beat goes on, but I'm ready to switch it up, so good thing I'm going shopping today. For someone who doesn't really celebrate Christmas I feel the Christmas crunch. We'll do a staff party a week from today that includes retired staff, a party of 8, and I do gift baskets for most of them, and small gifts for the others, and we have secret Santa in the works, so today is really my last day to shop except for next week when I get my mammogram while my friend is in chemo. So, I'm feeling a little pressure. "To save time, slow down" I can hear my teacher say. Also, our Muslim friends are coming to visit 12/21-24, staying in a nearby hotel. I think we'll do appetizers here at home, and mostly dine out with them as they will be focused on getting up to see the big trees, and I might accompany them one day, but I am preparing plates of things that will be easy to do ahead, and I'm trying to stay calm. I'd love to put on a dinner for them, but I don't think I can handle it on top of our work hours, and all the Christmas stuff. Eek! I know the party is on the horizon, and then anniversary, how are your plans shaping up? How's your foot? The moral of the story of kittens at 3+ months = TROUBLE. Ha ha. Off again now...hugs and solidarity!!!
  5. heb2014

#JanuaryWhole30 Here We Come...

January will be my second Whole30 also (starting Jan. 5th). I did the reintroduction but have failed at Food Freedom. Need to work on defining that better during the Whole30 this time. For me, it was much easier to have the strict rules during the 30+ days than creating some guidelines that I intended to follow until the first time I had the opportunity not to. I know part of Food Freedom is realizing you need another reset - which I probably needed stating in November. Have been trying to get back on track these two weeks before Christmas, but really gearing up for the reset for January. Will be tracking here: And thoughts on my first Whole30 from September shared here:
  6. Prepping for a January Whole30 (starting Jan. 5th to February 3rd). My first was in September. I felt REALLY REALLY good for several weeks after - but then the kids' Halloween candy started my downfall. I've planned out my dinner menu (attached) except for the 3 days in February. I like to keep the sides a little more unplanned and decide closer to the day. However, I know this is a "plan" and part of that is knowing some days I may need to deviate. I did a ton of If/Then Planning with my first round and it was extremely helpful. If I don't feel like cooking what I have planned, then my backup meals are Whole30 Chicken Salad from WellPlated.com, pan seared Pork with whatever veggies I have to roast, stir-fry over riced cauliflower, or dinner out at Chipotle. Other ways I've started prepping for the January Whole30 is getting back to drinking 80 ounces of water a day, paying attention to what I eat, and doing some workout videos; I want to incorporate exercise in to my Whole30 better than I did in September, and Tuesday (with two weeks' to Christmas day), I started some 2 Week Shred video on Youtube.
  7. Mojojojo1120

Eggs and fruit for breakfast?

Thank you very much Shannon! I really appreciate your response.
  8. ShannonM816

Eggs and fruit for breakfast?

A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which could be five for you, that's not a crazy number. There's nothing wrong with fruit, but a serving is about the size of your closed fist, so you may be having a little too much, according to the meal template. If you change anything, I'd say try to swap some of the fruit for vegetables. You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  9. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Wed, Dec 11, Day 19: Sleep: 5h 48m + 40m awake=6h 28m in bed I knew I'd be short on sleep; we went to see a Tony Joe White Tribute on my husband's birthday and didn't get home until after 10 so I'm a little tired but OK and it was totally worth it! M1: same w kimchi M2: broccoli, cherry tomato, chicken salad w ranch dressing M3: Ate out! The only 2 compliant things on the menu, brisket and baked potato w green onions (I brought ghee and bacon with me) delicious and it was a nice treat to have my one and only meal on this W30 that I didn't have to cook. Steps: 7,640
  10. Hello, long time whole30er, first time poster. first of all, I want to say thank you to whole30 as a whole and to this community. It has changed my life...my wife and I have partaken in multiple rounds of whole30 at this point. The first time, I lost a lot of weight, felt great, and my eyes were opened. Since then, Its been a bit tougher, we typically reattempt a whole30 run and make a lot of healthy foods but also cheat frequently come weekends. It’s an ongoing struggle but we are still hanging in there... anyways, my question is this: every morning I cook myself either 5 eggs (yes 5....I once saw my in shape buddy do it and it left a mark on me). After that, I eat a few fruits (always an apple, usually some grapes, maybe some pineapple). i think I am probably eating too much but after doing this for so long, I have a hard time not preparing this much food every morning. The thing is, I see eggs as being a great option and fruits as being a great option...but I worry that eating this combination every morning is going to cause me to gain more weight... I know other meals throughout the day impact this but I’m wondering moreso about specifically eating a bunch of eggs then eating a bunch of fruits right after. Should I eliminate something? Maybe try to eat just eggs or just fruits every morning? If so, which should I eliminate? What do you think? Sorry for the long rambling post, just wanted to explain where I am at.... and thank you very much in advance for any advice. sincerely, Joe Kowal
  11. ShannonM816

What do you drink?

These are not ok on whole30, they may not have sugar, but the do have sweeteners. I've removed the link in your post. It was to a site advertising some kind of flat belly tea that is not ok on whole30.
  12. Last week
  13. mabrown24

What do you drink?

I'm not a big fan of sparkling water but I have been thinking about using the sugar free crystal light packets with caffeine in my water. It came as a recommendation from a friend who's doing intermittent fasting from an online program she's following; I believe it's called Kinobody.com. Any ways, black coffee with cinnamon for me. Just something about it get's me going in the morning. I've also found a site for a morning tea that was suggested to me as well. Looks interesting enough to try, link below. Do any of you guys have any thoughts or suggestions? We're trying to start clean in December, so that we're not with the rest of the New Years resolutioner's in January, trying to burn off belly fat from the holidays.
  14. mabrown24

What can I add to my coffee?

I've tried adding butter but couldn't get the hang of it...just too weird. I believe you either love it or hate it. I was the latter. But, I am fond of cinnamon in my coffee. It doesn't mix well but when mixed with a black coffee, it's a huge help in the morning for that extra boost needed.
  15. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Tuesday, Dec 10, Day 18: Sleep: 6h 54m + 1h 24m awake=8h 18m in bed M1: same as Monday but with fermented curried cauli M2: baba ganoush w raw kohlrabi as a dipper, cherry tomatoes and baked chicken thigh M3: birthday ribeye, sauteed collards w pine nuts, a sm piece of sw potato (got my husband a big slice of really good cake for his birthday so I didn't have to make it and have it hanging around the house and made creamed collards for him to take to work to enjoy) Steps: 7,987 not bad for trying to take it easy- foot is still sore but much better
  16. Coffeelover99

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

Hi TriciaLeigh! I started this Whole 30 back in October and it ended right before Thanksgiving. My journal title (week one and two) is misleading, if there's a way to change it, I'm not sure how. Anyway, I agree with scoakley13, go for it! It took me a week or so to recover from Thanksgiving, and I got sick, but now I'm pretty much on track. I'm keeping my meals mostly Whole 30 based, with the exception of legumes, noodle soup and ezekiel bread this week. I wanted to be relaxed through the holidays for social obligations that all revolve around food. However, I'm making a big effort to abstain from sugar and alcohol. I like the earlier post in this thread from one of the whole 30 coaches with the math. From Thanksgiving to New Years, there's 108 meal opportunities, so if I do my best to eat well for 90 of them, then in my book I'm doing good. In January, I plan on going back on a Whole 30 to support my sister and reinforce good habits from my November Whole 30 and December Food Freedom. If I was doing a real Whole 30 this month, I would have to eat before going to events, and then plan on bringing a compliant appetizer, dish or side. Good luck to you and cheers (with lacroix and lime twist) :).
  17. Laura of The Great White North

2nd Time Around Starting Dec 27th

Hey everyone! I am going to start my second Whole30 on December 27th. I picked this date because it is the beginning of a 6 day vacation from work and I wanted to have a less stressful environment during those difficult first few days. I got super sick during my first Whole30 in July. It wasn't related to the Whole30 at all, but I feel like it really impacted my experience. I also did not do the reintroduction at all. I was very much like, It's Day 31 I need to eat all the things!!! All that really accomplished for me was not feeling good and having a terrible flare up of the eczema on my hands. I am looking forward to this new round and I would love company. I really found the support in the other group helpful and I look forward to meeting you! Laura
  18. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Monday, Dec 9, Day 17: Sleep: 7h 5m + 1h 6m awake=8h 11m in bed M1: hash w ground pork, kohlrabi, mushrooms, poblano pepper, scrambled eggs and fermented radishes M2: buffalo chicken wings, broccoli and cherry tomato salad w ranch M3: pork chop, brussels sprouts sauteed in brown butter ghee Steps: 6,244 and this included 1.5 hrs in a dentist chair but again better than I thought but still trying to take it easy on my foot which is showing some bruising where I did whatever I did to it
  19. SugarcubeOD

RealPlans

Hey there! Just to clarify, Real Plans is a Whole30 approved partner but they're not part of the Whole30 company which puts out the cookbooks so it's not likely that Whole30 would provide their recipes from the cookbooks to an external subscription service.
  20. Hi everyone, I wanted to share and get feedback about my Whole30 results, mostly in relation to the scale. I have done a previous strict Whole30 and a not-so-strict Whole30 before. I had lost 20 pounds on the first one and about 10 pounds on the not-so-strict one. This Whole30 I did textbook-strict and I only lost a whomping 2-5 pounds on the scale. I don't remember how much I was exercising the previous ones, but I would say I could have done a lot more exercise this round. I did notice many many non-scale victories however. My clothes are fitting much better, I feel like my jeans waist size has gone down 1-2 waist sizes, I have had zero sugar cravings (I have a bad sweet tooth), my cooking skills are way better and I feel good about the work i'm doing to better myself, and even at the doctor's office my weight was down to a point where my doctor noticed progress so I am not disappointed at all about doing the Whole30 and continuing it. However, I know this is not a good way of thinking, but it feels a little disappointing to do all the work and get on the scale and see a weight that is only 2 pounds less than the weight 30 days before. Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Thank you.
  21. scoakley13

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

I started a Whole30 the Monday before Thanksgiving last year and went all the way through Valentine's Day (my boyfriend's birthday) and it was awesome! I encourage you to go for it!
  22. @Shopgirl54$ You've probably already discovered this answer by now, but weight loss is individualized from person to person
  23. I ALWAYS make the mistake of trying to do too much, even when I say I'm going to keep it simple. I never learn but I keep trying! I already know that's what I'm going to do for the Christmas party (yep, Hoedown friends). The "guidelines" for the party are to bring something festive that you aren't going to get to eat for your holiday dinner but will miss or something new that you would like to try out before serving it for Christmas or whatever strikes your fancy so it's pretty wide open. I'm limiting myself to not duplicating someone else's offering because I don't want to appear judgy; I just want to have some things that I can eat and fly under the radar at the same time. Since sweet potatoes are already on the menu, I was thinking of doing something with regular potatoes but I'm having a hard time finding anything without dairy. I have a really good au gratin recipe and I might make that using good chicken stock and herbs instead of cream ( maybe topped w bacon crumbles?) or I might try hasselback potato and brush them with herb-infused duck/bacon fat. There is a humongous 1930's restored oven that is the coolest oven ever that we'll be able to use. Her name is Stella. I'm also thinking about stuffing 'shrooms with spinach/artichoke dip using cauli mash as the base instead of dairy and I'd like to bring a green vegetable, too since we don't have one yet. I might make the creamed kale (coconut milk version) that I brought for Thanksgiving even though there will be a lot of the same people there. I already have the kale cleaned, cooked and chopped because my husband wanted to bring it for his potluck lunch at work but now he's skipping it. As I type all of this, I realize that I have a plan! Or at least most of one. Cool. I love my hula hoop but it's not weighted; that sounds like even more fun. I'm not very good at it but it's still fun. We have a friend that is really, really good and it's amazing to watch her. I saw mine leaning against the wall a couple of days ago and thought about how perfect it would be for incorporating more movement. I think I could do it even with my sore foot, which is better but I'm trying to be careful. It seems like there's still something funky going on it there but at least I can walk and am not in excruciating pain any more. I managed to get a fair amount done, cookup-wise but need to get lunches for Wednesday and Thursday ready to go since we'll have late nights tomorrow and Wednesday nights. I grabbed the Costco-sized pack of chicken thighs because I was running low so if I get those baked off tonight, that will take care of those lunches. I think I'm going to use my mom's standard seasoning for them: s&p, lots of garlic powder and butter (ghee this time). I even made more ghee last night so we could have buffalo wings for dinner. Pork chops for dinner tonight, steaks tomorrow for my husband's birthday, eating out on Wednesday and chuck roast for the rest of the week, assuming we survive TWO nights out in a row! Dentist appointment this afternoon then tomorrow we finally get to drop off the car to get the deer damage repaired. We weren't going to get a rental but it's going to take 7-10 days for the repairs so we're getting some little front wheel drive something that can deal with the possible snow/ice we're going to get. Busy, busy... Cheers to you as well!
  24. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Sunday, Dec 8, Day 16: Sleep: 7h 35m + 2h 18m awake = 9h 54m in bed/sofa Crazy night! I managed to really hurt my foot watching TV and when I got up to go to bed, I could barely walk. After a couple of hours lying in bed in pain, I took some ibuprofen and rubbed some anti inflammatory gel on my foot then moved to the sofa so I could elevate it and ice it down. Finally got to sleep and slept really well until 730. Not going to be able to push my steps for a while. Very late M1/M2 AKA brunch: 3 scrambled eggs w broccoli, fermented peppers, cherry tomatoes handful of pecans and a cup of turkey bone broth around 4 M3: buffalo chicken wings w ranch dressing Steps: 4,237 better than I thought I'd be able to do. Foot is still sore but I can walk on it if I don't flex too hard. Just need to keep treating and taking it easy
  25. Your poor foot! That's such a bummer! Please still be proud of yourself for all the awesome movement you got in. I am proud of you. And that pampered evening is so awesome - I love it! I used to love reading in the bathtub with a candle on each back corner of the tub...and don't tell anyone but it USED to be the only time I allowed myself to enjoy a bit of marijuana. That was enjoyable. Until one time I got so into my book (Cannery Row, I recall), wearing pigtails on each side, I leaned over, and singed my hair, reacted, and promptly singed the other side. I had to cut my hair, and boy did I feel stupid! In the 13 years that have passed, I can count on one hand the number of times I have smoked since then (vaping is out of the question...plus I'm just not into it, high enough at my normal). Now that I have a clawfoot tub I have been noodling on how to rig up a good reading light, and you are inspiring me! The whole scene gives me a huge smile, the LeGuin, the salt soak, the kombucha, the kitty by your side. Aaaahhh. And now you know what not to do with your feet...I feel your psychological anguish, and keep visualizing all the tiny bones and connective tissue in the feet. Heal, heal, heal, and patience, friend, it will get better! I can't wait to read the Ballantyne article you sent - no, I am not familiar with her. I am procrastinating going to work to clean the store, but I will read it soon, and I thank you for the other material you pointed me towards on the subject of thyroid and labs. I haven't looked into a local-ish functional medicine practitioner yet, but I would like to do that in order to have greater trust in the way the labs are looked at. Lunch with my friend was lovely. I host so infrequently that I made a newbie mistake of taking on too much cooking before she came over....I used turkey instead of chicken for my beloved apple sausages and they were too lean and not enough apple, and I was disappointed...but we had a good time, and I curbed my motormouth, but still managed to find neurotic self-criticism...she is still gathering information from doctors before she decides on treatment/s. So I will have plenty of practice in holding space, and also in being compassionate with myself, I suppose. As for the breakfast itself, remind me not to bring home biscotti anymore...we just finished them this morning, and they are not something that should be in my reach. Happy Day 16!!! = ) About your Christmas Party, I see your challenge. Would it be such a faux pas to bring an extra dish of a certain category, so that you have something to eat besides the prime rib? When is the party? Is this separate from the occasion with your Hoedown friends? I'm laughing at myself because I'm thinking "coleslaw!" LOL...not very Christmas-y, I know.... Hubs just found a 2 for 1 deal on a lightweight hammock that weighs 16 oz and compact as a coffee cup. We got two for backpacking! It's never a safe bet to avoid rain in the mountains, but will be fun to take on trips when we can be sure of clear skies, and maybe even here at home in the yard on nice nights. I've been excited to tell you my great flash of inspiration last night, as I was lounging on the sofa researching a big hoop that I can use to make that Xmas-light peace sign. It dawned on me that I always wanted a weighted hula hoop. Years ago at a small, outdoor concert venue, friends of my brother, who are/were also burlesque dancers (!) brought some weighted hoops, and shared, and I had SO much fun!!! Why have I not thought of this before? So I did 30 minutes of fun research, and ordered myself a 3 lb. 38" blue hula hoop! It was $5 cheaper to order it from the mom-n-pop shop who makes them compared to Amazon, plus 15% off - score! So, 2020 will be the year of the backpack and the hula hoop!!!!! Yay!!! Afterwards I entertained myself watching hula hoop dancing on YouTube, until I nearly fried my brain with anticipation. Like you, we watched a movie, too...The Irishman. That's another story....Hubs has his spin cycle for indoor exercise, and the hoop might be exactly what I need, plus it will be joyful...things are looking up. Enjoy your ball game, and your planning/dreaming/scheming...I'm off now with my vacuum, and though I hate to leave the house on Sunday, I will get the store the way I want it, and get organized which will make for a better week. Cheers, Holly! xo
  26. Good morning @LadyLisbette! Are you familiar with Sara Ballantyne? She must've been reading our thread; I had this article in my email this morning: https://www.thepaleomom.com/goitrogens-cruciferous-vegetables-thyroid-disease/. I find her research to be impartial, thorough and like that she includes a bibliography so you can read her reference material for yourself if you want to. I'm on the downhill side of my W30 now: Day 16! Unfortunately, I managed to hurt myself last night WATCHING A MOVIE! I did something to my foot, I guess, as a result of the funky way I was sitting on the sofa. I got up to go to bed and almost couldn't walk. It hurt A LOT so I got out of bed around midnight so I wouldn't keep my husband awake and took some ibuprofen, iced and elevated it and slathered it with an anti-inflammatory gel I had in the medicine cabinet. It's swollen but better this morning. I was going to go to an urgent care but decided that since it was better, I'd keep doing what I was doing and go see ortho tomorrow if I need to. I was so proud of myself for getting my 10K steps in yesterday even though all I wanted to do was take a nap (and I never nap- I'm terrible at it). I walked our driveway and up around the house to make a little loop and played with the medicine ball on each lap. Then...drumroll, please...I took a nice long tub soak with some amazing bath salts, guitar music, a glass of elderberry kombucha and the fourth Earthsea book- heaven. Squeaky got comfy on the bathmat next to me and kept me company the whole time, too. Then I hurt myself siting on the sofa. Doh! I had the privilege of not leaving the house yesterday and that was great! I puttered around and did a little of this and that. We had picked up some produce and chicken pieces parts on the way home Friday so I'm set for a small cook-up today after we go watch the Saint's game. I spent a big hunk of yesterday morning trying to come up with an appetizer and a couple of vegetable side dishes for our Christmas party. Our hostess sent out a list of what people were bringing and, except for the prime rib, I can't eat ANY OF ITI!!! I don't want to duplicate what someone else is bringing (green salad, sweet potatoes) and I want something appropriately festive. This is the first time I've had a major holiday event during a W30 and it's being more difficult that I thought. I had a major pout-fest and seriously questioned why I was doing this when I saw the menu but I got over it after a couple of hours and decided to view it as a challenge to get creative. Now create, damnit!! Time to get moving, or hobbling, as the case may be. Plan, plan, plan so I'm eating before we go to watch the ball game. Have a marvelous day!
  27. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Thanks! Saturday, Dec 7, Day 15: "A date which will live in infamy..." Thinking of all of the people that died that day as well as the recent shooting victims. Sleep: 6h 45m + 1h 14m awake= 8h 1m in bed M1: 3 boiled eggs w mayo, cherry tomatoes, fermented peppers M2: pan-seared chicken breast diced and added to broccoli, cherry tomatoes w ranch dressing- made enough for both of us this time! M3: surf (trigger fish) and turf (sirloin) w blistered green beans Steps: 10,175 Yay! and that included 4 trips up the driveway with some medicine ball fun in between each trip Halfway and it's flying by!
  28. Good Morning Whole30 Family My name is Michael and I am so looking forward to beginning the #JanuaryWhole30 with all of you. This will be my second Whole30 journey. The first time my life was totally transformed...Body, Mind, Soul, and Spirit. I am a Believer in Jesus and He used this program to snatch me from depression, hopelessness, and 3 addictions! The mistake I made, which I do not intend to make this time, is that I did not Reintroduce. Whole30 made such an impact on my life I did not want to change anything and said "Heck with Whole 30, I am Whole Life"...Then July 4th came and went and after indulging in Pizza and Beer, my life slipped back into my old ways. Here I am again in depression and addictions. NOT AGAIN! I am now convinced that Reintroduction is as, if not more important than the initial reset. I look forward to building an eating plan that works for me and making new friends and building relationships with many here. Here we go! Never looking back, Michael
  1. Load more activity