All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Sunday: Again, didn't do too much Sunday. One of my friends came over in the afternoon to hang out, but besides that I just hung around the house, doing chores. I was able to take a walk, and was in higher spirits. Day 18 Meals M1: 1 piece breakfast burrito casserole, slaw, olives M2: 6 Chili Lime Wings (I had planned to make them Friday for dinner), homemade ranch (I use the Basic Ranch recipe from this page: https://whole30.com/mayo-ghee-sauces/), leftover Red Pepper Soup M3: Carnitas with White BBQ and sweet potato salad Monday: We got a lot of cleaning done today, since we were having people over for dinner. I went to an author lecture, Carmen Maria Machado, with two of my friends, and had them over for dinner beforehand. I made the Stuffed Baked Potatoes I talked about last week, with this Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad recipe (https://www.wholesomelicious.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-salad-with-mustard-basil-vinaigrette/) - The potatoes were as good as I remembered, but the salad was really great and easy to make. I'll definitely make it again. The lecture was good, and very interesting - it lasted until around 8:45 - after my bedtime! So I ended up going to bed later than normal, and was a bit tired this morning. I wasn't really groggy though - clearheaded, but tired. I'm drinking my second cup of coffee now, with a little coconut milk mixed in. Day 19 Meals M1: Made a hash out of leftover baked potato, brussels sprouts, & carnitas - topped it with White BBQ and a fried egg M2: Leftovers of the same hash with ranch and Frank's. M3: Stuffed Baked Potato & Brussels Salad Lots of potatoes yesterday - I really didn't feel that different eating that many carbs, but I usually like to have different vegetables during the day. I definitely feel my best eating a large variety of different veggies. Tuesday (today): Woke up a bit late, at around 6:40 AM. I don't feel bad about giving myself some extra sleep. It's my first day back at work, and it's going well. I've already completed some more complex tasks that I had put off last week. I'm feeling good today. Later this evening, I'm planning to go to an organizing meeting for Bernie Sanders, but I'm not totally sure if I'm going to make it. I'll see how I feel a bit later - I'm trying to get my boyfriend to go with me. I have a complex dinner planned, that I really should have made Sunday, which is kind of holding me back. Day 20 Meals M1: About 1 c leftover Brussels salad with some marinated onions, 2 fried eggs, and 2 crisped slices of prosciutto M2: Probably leftover carnitas with sweet potato salad M3: Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki (https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-greek-meatballs-with-tzatziki-sauce-whole30-keto/), Greek Potatoes (http://www.thedefineddish.com/greek-style-potatoes/), & Greek Green Beans (http://www.thedefineddish.com/greek-style-green-beans-fasolakia/) This is getting long, so I'm going to make a separate post with our grocery shopping review.
  3. BabyBear

Like an Onion

Yes!!! That’s one of the greatest NSV and a huge step forward to the mindset of Freedom
  4. Today
  5. PEP

Day Six!

What happened to negative peer pressure??? Are my friends and I too old for that now? Case in point, my hairdresser and I were supposed to go to happy hour after she finished my hair last night and I was MORE than ready to cheat, for her, LOL - well, not happening. She was encouraging of my eating plan and would have no part in being the reason for me cheating! Dang. I am struggling with the 'three meals a day' concept. That is not how I eat, per se. Normally, I like to eat smaller amounts more frequently (always being mindful of the food type/quantity/calories), so still working on achieving the three squares...I am really going to work hard and try to eat only three meals today. I also don't eat before boot camp - coffee yes, food no. I guess I could count that as a meal/snack so I could eat four times a day Fortunately, I did not have to shop to start this eating plan and have been able to eat what I had on hand for the first five days. I went to the grocery yesterday to pick up a few items I don't normally have on hand e.g., compliant coconut milk, coconut flakes, Ghee. I feel like I am eating/adding a lot more fat to my diet than usual, albeit good fat, like EVOO, on my salads and wanted to see if I could find an alternative to use occasionally as well. We have this great, HUGE Pan-Asia grocery near by, so I browsed the aisles, read the labels and picked up some other items that I thought might be yummy AND compliant for condiments/sauce/dressing. I found a green chile chutney and coconut chutney, with very few ingredients and 0 - 3g fat, 0g sugars. I'll let you know how they work out. This store also has a great selection fresh fish and seafood, so I picked up some shrimp for coconut shrimp, which I will definitely make again. Sunday apps and dinner (my plate does NOT have peas on it) - we had coconut shrimp as an appetizer since dinner was running late and beef tenderloin that I adapted the recipe from the Coffee au Poivre Steaks with spiral potatoes. I did not use the coffee, just the pepper. I also discovered that I do not have a spiralizer that works on potatoes (it could be user error), but just in case, I think a trip to BBB with one of my 20% off coupons is in order!
  6. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Day 17, 18, 19, 20 Another great Whole30 morning. Mornings are my favorite part of the day, and they're even better now that I'm not groggy, congested, and headache-y when I wake up. A quick recap of this weekend: Friday night: My boyfriend's college roommate was in town over the weekend, so we decided to get grocery shopping done Friday night. We went to Aldi & Whole Foods. I'll review what we got later today. We ended up getting Chipotle pick-up for dinner - I had the new carne asada, and it was really good! The restaurant didn't give us guac on either of our bowls, though, which was really disappointing. Luckily, we had a ripe avocado at home, so we just shared that. Saturday: I just stayed home all day, cleaning, cooking, and reading. I don't know why, but I was in a bad mood on Saturday, and just didn't feel up to going out. The weather was gross in Pittsburgh - just above freezing with a cold rain. I take a 45 minute walk everyday, and this was the first day in probably 3 months that I didn't take at least some walk. I went out side for about three minutes and just turned around and came back. I did 45 minutes on the elliptical we have in our basement, instead, which was good. Pre-Whole30, I would have just used the weather to sit on the couch all day. I was pretty productive on Saturday, though, and I made carnitas in our Instant Pot, using this recipe (https://www.thewholesmiths.com/easy-instant-pot-whole30-carnitas/) - It was so easy, and they were so good! We have a ton of leftovers from it that will be good for this week and to freeze. Day 17 Meals M1: 2 pieces breakfast burrito casserole & slaw M2: Red Pepper Soup (https://nocrumbsleft.net/2019/09/28/red-pepper-soup/) with 6 meal prep meatballs - This soup was really good. I think I'll make a double batch of it next time. M3: Carnitas (recipe above) with White BBQ Sauce (https://cookprimalgourmet.com/alabama-white-bbq-sauce-whole30) and Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad (https://therealfoodrds.com/warm-chipotle-lime-sweet-potato-salad/) - All of this was delicious I'll update with the rest of my log for the weekend, today, and my review of my grocery shopping tomorrow.
  7. Thank you so much for your help and support. I´ll do my best in making informed choices, but at the top of things my kid got sick and has fevers, so I´m not even sure we´ll be able to attend. I will do my best to keep up with whole30 and keep myself sane, and if it just doesn´t go well, I´ll leave it to February or March whole30.
  8. PEP

Still hanging in there....

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Good for you both; it helps to have a partner! The hubs is eating the food, and whatever else he wants and my friends are even being helpful with not encouraging me to cheat, so on I go...without beer
  9. Aelfric

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

Tuesday 21/1/20 (Day 7). M1: Salmon and vegetable omelette. M2: Peaches (tinned). M4: Chicken and vegetable curry. M4: Banana berry smoothie. Drinks: Tea, rooibos, liquorice tea, lime water. Exercise: Scottish Country Dancing.
  10. littleyellowdiary

Started Whole30 for the first time Jan 20!

@Kwillertz Well done for recognising that you wanted a reset to start to feel better. Wishing you all the best for your W30!
  11. littleyellowdiary

Starting Jan. 20 with Anxiety/Depression

Hi @Maria45, I have had issues with depression/anxiety in the past and lots of disordered eating. To be honest I think just making the commitment to a plan like this and dedicating some time to yourself and your health is already a huge step forward in improving your mood and mental health. Our lives are so busy and hectic nowadays that self care is always at the bottom of the list, so this is a good way to take care of yourself and your needs. I know my disordered eating is a symptom of emotional distress so it all ties together. I have found that cutting out sugar and junk food completely seems to have broken a nasty cycle of cravings and overeating so I reckon there's something in that. I've also been doing the 10 Minute Mind for a few months and really recommend a meditation programme like that, or Headspace. Again, it's just taking time out for yourself and saying "I deserve to take care of myself and do this thing". It's a step towards being kinder to yourself instead of going down a spiral of negative self-talk.
  12. btvs1981

BTVS Whole 30 log

Thanks @BabyBear for your support! I appreciate it. I'm still in roughly the same spot though but it doesn't feel bad. I'm just not experiencing a heap of hunger. I have an appointment with my GP this week anyways so I'm going to check in on the food situation and get their advice. I don't want to end up without enough nutrition going in. Part of the aim here was actually to get my metabolism going again. I'll check in with what she says and go from there. In the meantime... Day 18 Chicken soup Leftover bolognese sauce (wasn't hungry here at all but ate something, was very hungry 4 hours later at 5 in the evening so I just made the next meal dinner) Salmon salad with avocado Day 19 Chicken thigh grilled with cinnamon and 5 spice, large slaw salad with avocado and grilled nectarines Coffee with coconut milk Zuppa Toscana with added broccoli and cauli rice Day 20 Coffee with coconut milk Zuppa Toscana with added broccoli and cauli rice Egg scramble with mushroom, spinach, tomato, onion, capsicum and homemade pesto with crispy bacon thrown in
  13. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Thanks, @BabyBear ~ I had a new Day 1 today ... let's see how far I can go this time. One day of derailment really doesn't have to turn into weeks or months. I like that I was able to correct the course today pretty effortlessly. I've had enough small wins over the past few weeks ... it's motivated me to keep going forward, because I sure as hell don't want to go back.
  14. SchrodingersCat

Opti-Greens and Reds

Looks like they both contain maltodextrin, so nope.
  15. ShannonM816

Opti-Greens and Reds

You'd need to check the ingredients to see if they're all okay to have on whole30.
  16. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 20 how is this even possible! 2/3 of the way, the home stretch. 7:30 am phone call from my mom woke me up. She’s hurt her back, so I guess it’s up and at em so I can get the kids and take her to see her chiropractor. So much for sleeping until 10:00. I’m awake and waiting for her to tell me appointment time so I took the opportunity to rub essential oils on the hubby and try to work out some nots from the drive. 8:30 S1: RXBar, beef stick Ugh to go from 80 and sunshine to 20 and snowing is a bit harsh. So much for having time for breakfast. I did grab my last beef stick, RXBar and some pistachios. All the other food is gone. Headed to the big city to take my mom to the doctor. Maybe I’ll take advantage of this and stop by sprouts and pick up some compliant bacon and sausage for this week. I can’t believe this is day 20. I’ve started reading food freedom book. Reading the intro I felt that anxiety build up in my chest of all the what if’s… normally I would shut down and walk away from all the overwhelming thoughts and feelings until I was ready to process those things, but this time I allowed myself to ask what if.., and almost always answered the question with .., “then I restart” the more I said it the further into the what if’s I went the more the tightness in my chest relaxed until it was gone. I was then able to continue reading and answering any more what if’s with “then I restart.” 1:30 S2:Banana and pistachios I bought the boys lunch to eat on the road. I stopped at sprouts. They were out of compliant sausage but I did get some bacon and some compliant deli meat. Oh and some bananas because the baby said “A-Nana Pweeeaa”. How could I not buy him a banana. I decided to eat one of his bananas instead of another RX bar. My truck is not running right and has me a little stressed out. Going to pick up the dog and then run the truck over to a guy my husband trust to check it out. Well the truck has to go in the shop and I am finally getting home at 4:30 after leaving out at 8:30. I drove over 4 hours today, and I have 6 hours worth of work to do before I can rest. Today definitely did not go as planned. M1 5:00 sweet sour chicken with steamed broccoli with clarified butter. I was so very happy when I opened the fridge to get milk for the baby and saw my sweet and sour chicken left overs waiting there for me! I steamed a bag of broccoli and heated up half the leftovers. I put the other half in a dish with half of the broccoli for lunch Wednesday. I enjoyed every bite. I was so hungry!
  17. W30CoachAmyLouton

Compliant Breastfeeding Supplements

Hi! Milk Dust Powder has a number of sweeteners, so it is not Whole30 compliant. I'm curious if you are working with a lactation consultant or midwife or other practitioner who can give you expert guidance on this? Keeping up your milk supply is so important (as you know), and it is your priority right now. Many people have done a Whole30 while keeping their milk supply up, so it is not uncommon, however, every nursing person is different. I have heard of people who drank Mother's Milk tea (or similar formulations) while they were nursing and doing a Whole30 with good results. I wish I could help more, however, I am not a medical professional or lactation expert. Whole30 will ALWAYS be here for you when you are ready!!! Best to you and that sweet baby.
  18. Yesterday
  19. Maria45

Thanks so much Kwillertz! How amazing that you were able to go from 6 meds to zero!! Congratulations!!!
  20. CatEMartin

Opti-Greens and Reds

Hi! I take supplements called Opti-Greens 50 and Opti-Reds 50. I start Whole30 next week and want to know if I can still take them. Thank you!
  21. W30CoachAmyLouton

Started 1st Whole30 this morning

Hi, Christi! I see other community members greeted you (and gave you great suggestions), but I just wanted to jump on and say, "Hi," and let you know I read your post and that we're here for you in the Whole30 community. If you're on social media, I definitely recommend following Whole30, Whole30recipes, and some of the coaches, so you're surrounded by supportive, like minded people. Keep reaching out!
  22. Hi there! Im on Day 17 and thus far and have been feeling great and have stayed pretty true to the normal timeline i.e. The Hangover, Kill all the things etc etc. I have been feeling thinner, better energy and overall great and so excited how everything has been working. Starting over the weekend and today being the worst so far and I am insanely bloated and can feel how my pants are fitting more snug than usual. I know this sometimes happens around Day 11 so wondering if I am delayed or what? I also ate out 3 days in a row for one meal a day but did my absolute best to stay on track. I am trying to drink plenty of water. Maybe I am backed up a little? The bloating is really getting me down and discouraged though as I have felt so much lighter for the past few weeks.
  23. W30CoachAmyLouton

Newbie on Day 17...No Tiger Blood Yet

Hi, Nancy, I'm jumping in here to echo what Shani said, and to respond a bit to your last post-- If you feel like you're eating too much food, you can definitely make smaller meals while still following the template (protein, veg, add fat). That kind of goes along with what you said about eating more meat than you're accustomed to -- a recommended serving is a palm size (or two depending on appetite/ activity/etc); if you look at your palm, that's actually not too big of a serving. Check it out next time you're making yourself a plate! As far as protein goes, meat/fish and eggs are it-- nuts are compliant, however, they're an added fat versus a protein source following W30 guidelines. As far as pre/post workout meals-- I'm not a doctor or a sports nutritionist, but I'd say you're intuition on that makes sense, and there is no need for either after low/moderate intensity workouts. One thing that really struck me while reading your posts, is that you are really in tune to your body, and you are totally taking this "personal experiment" seriously by using W30 Day by Day and tracking food/ NSVs/ experiences in your body/ workouts/ etc. I am so impressed! I wasn't doing any of that during my first W30 (it was so long ago, I was too busy making mayo and searching for sugar free bacon :)) One more thing-- you said you haven't reached tiger blood, yet, but you mentioned "no brain fog, more energy." I'd say those are awesome NSVs less than three weeks into your Whole30! Keep on, you've definitely got this!!
  24. hahaha, not glad to hear someone else is having this issue, but glad to know I'm not alone!! I've always loved a good nap on the weekends, but now I can barely drag myself through the day without one and forget about workdays!
  25. lizziehall

January Whole30 Log

I haven’t checked back in a few days so I’m not going to bother listing all my foods like I usually do. I’m on Day 20 & have been facing the biggest challenges yet for this round. I’ve been able to avoid going out to eat for a while, but this weekend was FULL of going out. I ate before meeting friends for one of the meals, but I couldn’t avoid it all. I ended up getting baked (unbreaded) chicken wings with an old bay rub for Dinner on Saturday, pork tacos that I just ate the insides and left the tortillas at brunch, a chicken taco in a lettuce shell for lunch, and a Salmon salad with berries for dinner yesterday. It was not easy to say no to my favorite restaurants/dishes, especially when everyone was celebrating for a friend’s birthday and drinks and desserts were everywhere. Overall I feel pretty good. I’m proud of myself for getting through the weekend, despite a lot of “I’m so over this!” complaints.
  26. Hello Whole30 Forum folks! I am a 51 year old high school science teacher. I've battled with my weight ever since our first child was born in 1995; gaining and losing probably hundreds of pounds over the years. I've been to a functional medicine doctor who has taught me how to choose anti-inflammatory foods (I've been low-gluten for about three years) to fight weight gain, bloat, brain fog, and fatigue. I'm starting Whole30 to jump start a re-commitment to eating and drinking healthfully again. Being a teacher with lots of extra stress all of a sudden (ill family members, potential job change, etc.) caused me to fall back into my deep-seated habit of using comfort food and wine to calm my nerves. This has led to a 20 pound weight gain in the past 6 months, dramatic increase in fatigue and brain fog, swelling of my ankles and hands, and a bad cycle of using Diet Coke to keep my awake on my long commute home every day. I'd like to connect with others who are starting the Whole30 program around this time to ask about symptoms, struggles, and ideas for meals. I need structure when it comes to food and drink! I'd also like to finally address why I depend on food and wine so much for comfort. Here's to a great 30 days of healthful choices!!!!!
  27. Kwillertz

Hello Maria! I have struggled with depression in the past (I was on six different meds at the same time about five years ago) and I commend you for starting this program! I went to a functional medicine doctor to help me get control of my eating/depression and it helped so much! I do not take any medication right now and have found ways to deal with my depression triggers. Some ways are spiritual (I am a Christian) and some are dietary. I'm starting Whole30 to get back in the driver's seat with my diet. I've gained about 20 pounds just in the last six months and I can't let this get out of control again. Give me a shout if you need words of encouragement or want to vent with someone who understands how overpowering it can be to be under the cloud of depression. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  28. Dana Olson

PDF Downloads

Thank you! I found them. I’m new to using Audible, very helpful assistance. TY
  1. Load more activity