All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Beets

Starting July 16!! Successes and woes!

Getting in the “I’ll start over tomorrow” cycle is really easy but also (for me) a big pitfall. Bc, my brain says, if I’m starting over tomorrow I can and should eat all the bad stuff I mgiht want to eat after I start. I think as far as doing it together goes don’t wait for him. If he gets healthier and develops a liking for healthier food that’s awesome. Don’t let him derail you though. As far as him eating your prepped food? Ack that would also drive me crazy. I’d def put my foot down there. As you know the hardest but also best thing is prepping and planning all your food. I’d be like if you’re on this w me great if not don’t eat all my food! Labeling the “ok to eat” and “don’t touch on penalty of ___” in your fridge is a good idea. ETA: I just read your first post and I 100% relate. I was here 4-5 years ago and finished 3 or 4 Wholes including a long stretch of super strict AIP eating. It was really hard to get back on the program and I started and stopped a few times. I also dealt with a lot of family stuff anxiety etc etc. Every time I’d consider starting up I’d be like, ehhh but then I can’t drink on vacation or when X happens etc etc. So I’d do it partially—like I’ll do it all except I’ll still drink wine—-and that never works. The all or nothing thing works well bc there is no gray area. I saw some pics of me from this weekend and I was like that is it I’m starting today and I still haven’t shopped but that all or nothing thing kept me from having a drink at the beach. (My ritual.) And you know what? It was 1000x easier to get my kids to bed and I woke up with a clear head and it’s starting to feel like I can get back to the old me.
  3. Beets

Whole 21

[from] Day 3 I need to go shopping but I'm not letting it stop me. These really aren't meals yet but I'm holding it together M1: tuna and melon M2: ground pork and cabbage M3: " S: nuts and raisins on beach Iced coffee iced green tea hot green tea not much water Really wanted a drink on the beach didn't have it and you know what it made getting home and getting kids to bed so much easier. Also I was alive to the beautiful storm. Day 4 today m1: rest of pork/cabbage Went thru all my b/a pics from previous Wholes and damn I was so fit and small it’s like the thing of when you were 20 you focused on the one thing wrong w your body and now you’d eat through a car to look like that and in 20 years I’ll feel the same about now, but now I feel like that about five years ago. Also sad how down on myself I would get oh my belly isn’t perfectly flat oy. But yeah no wonder I can’t wear my clothes from then. Anyway the good news is I was able to get myself in good shape in a couple months. We will see how much my metabolism has changed. One thing that’s great about reading my old logs is reminding myself how much better it was for me when I planned and started the day with a “template meal,” ie not my habitual waiting till 2pm to jam chocolate in my mouth.
  4. Hiya Holly, I'm back. Whew! Rough week. Are you enjoying the fruits (and vegetables) of your labors from the weekend? Nourishment to sustain you! It all sounds divine. How was the gyros? I seasoned the meat on Tuesday night, mixed and made the "loaf" on Wednesday morning, then sliced and broiled it to order last night for dinner. More juices ran out during cooking than I remember - the meat dough wasn't as pasty, I think, as it should have been, but I couldn't tell until after I sliced it. Also the bison is way leaner than the beef/lamb combo of before (I didn't add bacon as per that recipe). At any rate, it was tasty. But: the TZATZIKI was the star of the show, and by far the best I've ever made at home! I followed the recipe you gave me, and since I had non-fat yogurt, added some mayo. Since it is so hard to find full fat yogurt, there must be a lot of fat-phobic folks still out there. Meanwhile I have found a place where I can get 2%. I served it with cucumbers and red onion, in a wrap for my husband, and like an antipasto plate for myself with a heaping side of coleslaw, and did I mention a metric ton of that tzatziki. Yummmmm. Some time ago I wanted sweet orange EO but I had access to mandarin so I bought that instead, and never did buy any orange - but - I think they would be nicely interchangeable. I don't have helichrysum in my supplies, but I will put in on my wish list for a future splurge. The other day I happened to meet a local woman I have been hoping the meet - she's a Renaissance woman who makes and sells her own honey, gorgeous elixirs, lotions and balms, etc, and is also a painter and properly repped and featured in galleries in Santa Fe, Los Angeles, etc., and who knows what else. I was so glad to meet her and thank her for the goods that I have enjoyed. I about fell over when I asked her where she gets her EOs. She grows her own plants and distills the oils herself at home. OH! Of course! The next day she dropped off a little present for me, a face cream and serum in a blue velvet drawstring bag and a sweet note. Gush. Looking just now at the ingredients, here is the helichrysum introduction you prompted me towards! Also frankincense, rose geranium, hemp seed oil and a host of other lovely looking things, and finally, love and gratitude at the end of the ingredients list. I've never used a serum before. It's (green!) lucious and oily the way I like it, but it all soaks in better than my balm. I think I'm hooked. Is Maybelle loving the ice cream? We think that giving the cat cream has given her new reason to live (besides creating a monster). We are scratching our heads and wondering if she is actually getting better. I'm not needing to clean as much, and her mood is much better. So we're keeping up with the CBD thinking it is helping with pain. She gets CBD each morning and night in a little cream, and she is eating her regular food in between. Hubs is also hand feeding her cheese or a little turkey if she comes around with those big eyes when we are eating. Like you, we figure some treats can't hurt. I've pulled myself out of a big funk. I was in a vicious cycle of not sleeping well, and not getting any movement. But I've broken the pattern, and after visiting the nursery yesterday consulting with an acquaintance of mine who runs the native plants section, spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday, and feel ready to take some steps with planning for fall planting. Did I tell you we inherited four coast redwoods on our property? They're not suited for this climate! What a heap of mixed emotions. It's too low elevation here for any of the conifers, and the coast redwoods rely on fog for a great deal of their water, which we certainly don't have here. It seems like torture for these trees. Sure enough, they started showing distress. So I'm soaking them with the hose at a drip, and will go out there today to lay down cardboard and mulch over the entire area where they are (there's a drip irrigation system in place, but it needs work, and we've not been using it, just keeping our eye on things to see what we want to keep, get rid of, and hope to use the system only minimally once the native garden is in place). The solarizing and mulching will be good practice as I will be doing a lot of that in the fall after I get my native plants in. I'm a beginner with ALL of this. Also had a local landscaper over this morning to go over plans to pull some shrubs out, and areas to clean up. There's a super invasive tree that is taking over the whole town. It sends runners underground. I've been hacking away at them, but the previous owners let some of them go, and they are tall, crowding out everything. I'm getting some momentum out there...and it's helping me to sleep on lots of levels. And we're looking at spending some big money (ouch) on tree removal and trimming to satisfy our homeowner insurance people...we are actually happy to do it, because NO ONE wanted to insure us out here in remote high fire danger territory. the first three cancelled us once they came out to look at where we are. No wonder either of us has trouble sleeping!!! It's been a nail biter. sorry this is so long!!!
  5. Today
  6. Latterdayhippie

Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

I just noticed that I said practically the same thing as kristilarsen before I read her response!
  7. Latterdayhippie

I found myself feeling the same way! It’s wonderful to have lost the constant hunger pangs, but now I feel like I have to make sure that I eat. Amazing.
  8. kristilarson

I'm feeling the same way! I'm having to make myself eat because I'm just not interested.
  9. Thank you for the support. I usually do this stuff solo but thought that I would participate a little on line this time. Will do. I KNOW lot of stuff! I just forget and it helps with others reminding me and encouraging me. It is awful hard to read and post on this sight then try to go eat something I shouldn't! Again, thank you!
  10. I'm so glad to hear you had such positive results after your first round, and yes, your protein intake is super important! As always, please reach out with any questions! Best of luck this round!
  11. Will do thank you. I did this 2-3 years ago and was really surprised on how I felt and the weight loss. 45 pounds in 3 months. I know, too much too fast. I lost a bit of muscle. I will remember my protein this time around. Have a great day!
  12. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Just looked up my unsweetened almond milk ingredients on this forum and administrators have said they were compliant so yay! It is Califia Farms Unsweetened Pure AlmondMilk.
  13. Jihanna

SchrodingersCat post-W30 diary!

Actually, unless you're dealing with sensitivity to one or more specific spices, I wouldn't worry too much about the "assorted spices". That should not encompass anything non-compliant, as far as I know... sugar should have to be listed separately, as should any anti-clumping agents that are not classified as herbs and spices. This is usually a way to avoid showing too much of the recipe behind a blend, though I agree it's dodgy. I have not used a single pre-made blend since starting my first round, because I got tired of having to check the labels on them all! Instead, I've been either mixing stuff up on the fly or pre-mixing and using some of the old leftover bottles to store my blends. The best part is that I get to really customize the taste that way (like leaving cumin out of the curry powder, for my mom's sake; or leaving rosemary out of our Italian blend, since my husband won't eat if I cook with it). (hug) I'm sorry today's been hard, though, and I really do hope the meds help you get to feeling better while you work the food side of things!
  14. Amy_Michigan

Day 3 Good morning! I had a good night. Slept well, and feel good this morning. I wonder if chamomile tea is okay for every night? Getting ready for work and noticed I still have a belly that pops out of my shirts at the bottom...I'm guessing that is going to stick around for at least 1 or 2 full rounds of Whole30 (unless I go out and buy all new clothes) which is fine. It's fat, not bloat, that came from a year of donuts & starbucks drinks. It was fun while it lasted but there was no stopping my weight...it just kept going up up up. And I kept feeling worse and getting weird skin & health issues. I hope I can keep this up for at least the 30 days! I'm ready for a lifestyle change.
  15. SchrodingersCat

Ended up coming home early, went to the doctor and got a prescription for the migraine meds I managed to come off during round 1. Hopefully they will stop the vertigo while I get my diet back under control. Cranking headache tonight, and every time I eat my tummy hurts and I *ahem* yeah. I may be coming down with something, it's hard to tell. Oh, and I just realised that the lemon pepper seasoning I put on my fish probably wasn't compliant - it has a dodgy ingredients label (it reads "assorted spices" haahaa) but I guess coz I'm not on round it's no biggie, it just shows how foggy I am tonight that it didn't even occur to me, or I'd have avoided it.
  16. ShannonM816

It doesn't look like too much fat, but if you were so full still by your next meal that you felt you were forcing yourself to eat, you might back off just a tiny bit on it. This is something you may just have to play with and see what works for you -- ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied for about 4-5 hours.
  17. ShannonM816

Day 3- Nausea and Upset Stomach

Much of what I mentioned in my previous reply applies for you as well. You've had no protein, by Whole30 standards -- nuts count as a fat, not a protein. If you're vegan or vegetarian, you're going to have to figure out what protein sources you intend to use. If you're not vegan or vegetarian, you need to work on making your meals meet the meal template. I would also say that eating a lot of nuts (in the larabar, the almonds, and the cashews) can also lead to digestive issues. We'd really recommend keeping nuts and seeds to a single serving, where a serving is as many as you can hold in your closed fist, and preferably not every single day. Meal template is available here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  18. ShannonM816

I realize you're saying this starts after lunch, but to get the best results, you really need to make all your meals meet the meal template, even breakfast. Lara bars are really for emergencies, they're as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30. Eat a full meal, or as close to it as you can get, within an hour of getting up in the morning. Have coffee with or after your breakfast, not before, as coffee can be an appetite suppressant which you really don't need, especially first thing in the morning. (Meal template is available here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/) As for lunch, why did this feel like something you had to force down? Do you think the tomatoes and peppers may have contributed to the nausea after? (They sometimes upset my stomach, not normal but not unheard of, which is why I ask.) Is this more food in general than you're used to eating, or more meat, or more fat? Any of those things might cause some stomach upset -- it might be that you can start with smaller servings and work your way up to template meals over the next week or two and avoid the stomach issues.
  19. Amy_Michigan

Day 2 food consumed: compliant potato hash browns, bone broth, pear, large salad with eggs and chicken, balsamic vinegar/evoo, apple...A whole box of zucchini spirals cooked in no-sugar pasta sauce and piled with fresh cooked ground beef. A cup of almond milk. Need to check if it’s compliant. Doesn’t have carrageenan or sugar but could have something else bad Will check tomorrow.
  20. Laura of The Great White North

End of Day 10. Today was a so-so day. I didn't have any cravings but I didn't really have any appetite either. I know there's a lot of talk about making sure we're eating enough fat, but is there such a thing as too much? For today, I had a sweet potato and chorizo hash with 2 eggs fried in about a tbsp of ghee, and for lunch I had buffalo chicken spaghetti squash with peppers and green onions and 2 to 3 tbsps of ranch dressing drizzled on top, a cup of strawberries and about 6 to 10 cashews. I ate breakfast at about 6:30am and lunch around 11:30. Last week I felt really hungry when it was getting close to mealtime. But today I practically had force myself to eat my meals, especially dinner. The day to day guide says that today we might be kind of sick of food and I think that's where I'm at. I'm going to scour pinterest for some interesting recipes for next week. I hope everyone had a good, successful day today. We will conquer the day again tomorrow.
  21. SchrodingersCat

Vertigo is absolutely ruining me today, its actually hard to move my arms and I just want to sleep.
  22. AMWard00

I’m having the same problems too. Day 3, also had coffee + Lara bar and apple for breakfast. Lunch was salad with fruit, veggies, almonds and a vinaigrette. Dinner was spaghetti squash garlic noodles with zucchini, carrots, red bell pepper, cashews and a sauce. My stomach hurts after eating!
  23. Mariina

Started June 26-- Day 14!

Day 22: Today has been a weird one... So Aunt Flo left 2 days ago (lol) and today I have had a lot of emotions inside of me. First off, I had very low energy this morning and had to force myself to get ready and not lay down. It was actually to the point where I set my alarm for 2 minutes and just laid there in an attempt to regain mental/physical energy to get ready. My dad got to visit me for a few hours (he lives about 3-4 hours away) so that was cool, and I was happy and fine while he was here, but he left around 1:30. Then, I had to get just a few things done which shouldn't have been a problem.... but I'm feeling impatient and angry inside and feel like crying. Hormones, why so annoying?? I ate really well yesterday and today so I am curious if it's just cause of my period ending. For some more info, because of my birth control I haven't had my period in like 4-5 years except once 3 months ago and now this previous week. Maybe I'm just not used to the fluctuation in hormones. Bleh. Also, my sugar dragon says hello (must... stray... from temptations... XD) Breakfast: 3 eggs, bell peppers, onion, coconut oil, hot sauce, seasoning, a banana, coffee with coconut cream Lunch (restaurant): 6 oysters in lemon juice, shrimp, scallops, salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper, herbal tea Snack: a few strawberries, cherry Larabar **Haven't had dinner yet, but probably will be (all previously cooked in evoo) ground chicken, broccoli, brussels sprouts, ghee, seasoning, maybe something sweet... we'll see **FYI evoo = extra virgin olive oil
  24. Mariina

Whole 30 (July 2)

I applause you for being straightforward with yourself and starting over! YOU CAN DO THIS!! I hope you have amazing camping trip and an easier time staying dedicated after this little bump. I honestly think you'll feel even better once you get to the new Day 30 now, since it'll pretty much be 44 days of clean! I really liked Jihanna's view of a Whole45.
  25. Yesterday
  26. Mariina

Whole 30 (July 2)

Hmm, it was a review on Amazon about a book that came out in 2009 by Melissa..? Maybe their comment was outdated haha! Good to know, I'm definitely gonna look into getting it!
  27. Latterdayhippie

kristilarson, I'm so sorry to hear of all you've been going through. Kuddos to you for embracing health and doing this difficult but healing 30 days. I'm cheering for you!
  28. SchrodingersCat

Day 4 of "This isn't so hard, normal people eat like this all the time.... wait, is that a choc chip cookie in the jar? NO, SHROD. STAHP." Meal 1: 2 Prosciutto, egg, mushroom and capsicum bites with spicy kraut Meal 2: Beef "stoup" with cauli rice Meal 3: Paleo battered fish with a warm carrot and pumpkin salad with baby spinach, pine nuts and herbed balsamic and oil dressing, and herbed potato wedges. So I have a really gross confession. I love Frank's Red Hot. REALLY love it. Last night I was at work late and was abit cravey, and sometimes I will have a spoonful of Frank's because the sharp hot flavour makes me not want anything else. I was working away and sipping bits of Frank's and.... I consumed most of a bottle. Seriously. Not only is that just weird and gross in and of itself, it was about 4500mg of sodium, and today I'm bloated like a baby-Trump balloon. Not to mention last night I ended up in fairly severe gastric distress and I'm pretty sure that would be the cause. So there it is. My deep, dark Frank's secret. Gross, huh?
  1. Load more activity