All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. LadyWolf0926

LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

Got up this morning feeling a little better but chatted with my husband about how crummy I felt last night. He looked at me and immediately said "Nuts. You had some nuts. Did you check your ingredients?" I told him no that my friend who'd brought them said they were compliant, and I'd completely forgotten about that handful I grabbed. We went and looked at the can of nuts and, right there on the label, it listed soybean oil. I should've known better; I should've checked before I grabbed that handful. My husband was playing golf when we had the snack, so he wasn't here being my lifeline (which he's taking very seriously), and I took someone else's info as my own. I screwed up. Was it a lot? Probably not, but it was obviously enough to make me feel like crap; so, I'm starting over. Back to Day 1 today. I'm really disappointed in myself, but I have to do this the right way to make sure I'm reaping the full benefits of Whole 30. Day-by-Day warned me about complacency with food choices, and I didn't listen. Lesson learned. Another thing I did learn is that my husband, my biggest lifeline, is 100% behind me. He felt bad that I have to start over, but he too said that we're not going to "half-a**" it. We're going to do this the right way. He told me a long time ago that the hardest thing he ever has to do is tell me "no", so for him to really get in my face with tough love, like he did this morning, is super hard. I get it, and he's really doing a great job! And now we move forward once again!
  3. Latterdayhippie

Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

How’s everyone doing today? This group has been a great support for me. I check here everyday for the camaraderie. I’m amazed and thrilled to be on Day 15! I know I can finish this now. I was a little worried on days 4-10....
  4. Latterdayhippie

A great drink for me on this diet is Grapefruit juice and club soda with a slice of lime.
  5. Latterdayhippie

I did, terrible joint pain around days 9-12. It’s gone now, and I’d like to think it’s the diet, but I also changed my glucosamine supplement around that time; same dose just different formulation with vitamin D,etc. thoughts?
  6. Today
  7. Jihanna

Started June 26-- Day 14!

My youngest had this done with similar results, though we knew she'd been suffering from what appeared to be massive allergies. All of the most common allergens were tested, so the allergist suggested she try a dairy-elimination diet to see if that relieved her symptoms -- and it did! Because of that process, we've learned that she's "Milk Dairy Protein Intolerant", and her specific symptoms are that she gets increasingly stuffy with more in her system, and taking medications (OTC and a prescription) to handle it. All because of something we can easily take out of her daily diet, which we've now done. She gets to eat dairy occasionally, but has gotten used to being dairy-free probably 99% of the time. ^ All of that just to say that I totally understand the frustration that comes with trying to pinpoint triggers for symptoms when there's been no "allergy" detected. Food intolerance can be tough to figure out, especially when it's not the big common stuff. Regarding your tea escapade -- I'd say the little bit of vanilla extract in a tea bag is likely to have affected your system (and progress) far less than something like, say, gluten or soy. I personally would opt to move forward and complete my regularly planned Whole30 as well, not allowing the tea-bag to hold me back... but taking the renewed importance to "always check the label!" and the knowledge of that item maybe needing to be put on the back burner for a while, at least until you've got your feet under you after reintroduction. Food Freedom takes time, and patience, and experience, because it's really all about learning from our experiences. We make choices, we take note (even if just mentally) of feelings and reactions around those decisions, and we move on. When similar choices pop up in the future, we're able to pull from what we've learned so far and hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls we've stepped into previously. I will say that if I have 3 "that just wasn't worth it" moments followed similar food decisions, I'll lay off that particular thing entirely for at least a month. I also continue to cook almost entirely compliant meals at home, so the only time I have those decisions to make is when I'm elsewhere.
  8. LadyWolf0926

LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

Day 11 wasn't too bad. I accidentally stacked my errands too close together in the morning, and that caused me to have to rush thru breakfast. I need to make sure I'm giving myself enough time to eat breakfast; that way, I'll be less likely to stray off program or inadvertently eat something non-compliant. The store manager at Sprouts came by while I was shopping, noticed my cart and asked if I was on Whole 30. I said yes, and I asked if she was on the diet as well. She said she wasn't but knew a lot of people who shop there are and recognized the approved items from Primal Kitchen I was buying. After chatting for a moment, she left and came back with a fresh black coffee for me. So sweet! She even offered to open a Nut Pods creamer. I was so strapped for time that I hadn't had a chance to get my coffee; it was a very welcome gesture! Love that store! Pretty quiet day once the morning errands were done, and I still need to go thru the freezer. Definitely on the task list for Sunday! Not feeling so hot this evening. I know my body is still adjusting, and I need to be patient, but I feel like I've eaten something that's an inflammatory trigger even though everything was compliant. Going to look at today's food ingredients a little closer in the morning and see if I can figure out what's upsetting my stomach. May be a spice I used; may just be my body detoxing. Not sure, but I'll figure it out. Breakfast - Three egg omelette, cooked in ghee, filled with avocado and tomato tossed in a little evoo and lime juice; topped with chili flakes. Coffee black and with nut pods. Lunch - Applegate Farms turkey burgers with uncured sugar-free bacon on lettuce "buns". Primal Kitchen mayo and ketchup. Organic white peach. Dinner - grass fed sirloin steak with Primal Kitchen steak sauce, rainbow carrots, ghee roasted baby potatoes and shakshuka-style zucchini. Off to bed! Looking forward to tomorrow's meal prep for the week!
  9. Kris22

Kristilarson, I agree with you- it's been difficult to have to think about ingredients constantly. I thought I was fairly well versed in reading labels but I have never read labels so carefully ever. And sometimes I think, wait, can I have that? And I have to remember some of the details of what's ok vs. off limits. But otherwise for me, it has been going pretty well. I haven't even had fruit the past 2 nights which I was using as a slight crutch to wean off of desserts. It wasn't too hard either. NSV! The past few days have been very busy for me. My brother is visiting and we have been on the go and there were times that I completely forgot that I was eating in a different way. I will be glad to be home tomorrow to regroup and get my weeklong menu planned, get groceries and try to get my house in order. But I am grateful for the down time and staying cool by the pond during this heat wave.
  10. Yesterday
  11. masonjar87

@ShannonM816 Oh, definitely won't Eat All The Things! I think I will take your advice and see how I feel on Day 30. If I can do another two weeks without much trouble, I'll go for it. Having completed the first two weeks, I feel like some of the hard stuff is over and it's just an endurance thing at this point. @kristilarson Don't worry, I've only been laughing at myself this whole time! Ive had the Craving Dreams too...the worst was last week after I foraged some wild raspberries and couldn't make my traditional summer pie with them!
  12. LadyWolf0926

LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

NSV - I finally had a good night's sleep! I wanted to go to the grocery store early, so went to bed at a reasonable hour. Slept the whole night until my alarm went off, and didn't wake up once! Feeling a little less cranky today but still fighting cravings. Upping my water intake, food prep and eating planned menus is the only way I'm going to keep from straying. Trying some new veggies from the market this week to keep the choices interesting.
  13. Mariina

Hey Mandie! I was hoping you could read my post for Day 23 and help with some feedback... I'm struggling a little inside and would appreciate someone else's opinion.
  14. Mariina

Day 23: A Teabag made me Fail A teabag made me fail. Yes, you heard me. A TEA BAG... On Day 23 I decided to make some tea with my breakfast instead of the coffee I've been having. Harmless, I thought. I went along with my day and then at nighttime I was like "oooh I want more of that tea" and then chose one by the same brand, opened it up, THEN was like woah wait, let's check the ingredients just in case. Vanilla extract. I put it in a zip lock bag and then went upstairs to learn that the tea I had this morning had vanilla extract as the last ingredient. I had to give myself a day to reflect and even think of words as to how I feel, which is bummed out. I decided that I am just going to finish off my Whole30 as planned because, although I have never been so proud of myself with any programs before, I cannot do a Whole53 right now... Failing on Day 6 sounds so much easier/better than failing Day 23?! I still believe I will be able to see if some foods mess with me during the reintroduction, I'm just sad I technically didn't do the full 30 days correctly. This was a big learning lesson for me. Actually, reflecting has helped me realized that there a multiple aspects of my Whole30 that I could have/should have done better, which is a good realization through some tough love. I will continue to live a more Whole lifestyle once I am done, because I am truly shocked at how much I have learned that such unhealthy ingredients are snuck into even the foods advertised to be healthy! Sugar in the meat I'm trying to buy, really?! I decided that I will do another Whole30 eventually and I will do it even BETTER and correct the poor habits I had in this one, like eating fruit to fulfill my sugar dragon's needs, and more. I ordered the Food Freedom Forever book and it is arriving today. I truly am a big fan of these books, and this journey has been such an amazing, life changing one so far. Although looking back, definitely could have done a few things differently. I decided I need to stop buying coconut cream for now because I'm using it as a replacement for whipped cream/something creamy. It's great in coffee but I definitely had a coconut-cream-covered-strawberries moment lol. My reasoning for not doing a Whole53 is that I am transferring to a 4 year university and will be meeting so many people that I want to be able to involve myself with them fully and not have this holding me back. Although, like I said, I want to stick to a Whole-based diet, I would like to go have a drink with new friends etc. Not go overboard though. My favorite part about the Whole30 has been not drinking and not feeling hungover, so I don't want to go back to the same habits I had before. I feel confused because I also still don't feel ready for this to be over. I think it is because I'm afraid of "relapsing" into old habits. I started reading Whole30 again though so I'm sure this fear will pass once I have the better understanding of the reintroduction and Food Freedom. Day 24: I had a very productive day, all day, and then at night I went to my friend's-friend's bbq. It was funny because I was social all day and then immediately once I arrived to the bbq with a bunch of people I don't really know, SO MUCH junk food everywhere and bottles and bottles of alcohol with people every 2 minutes saying "shot? let's take a shot!" I was just not at all in the mood to be in that environment and have to think "can't have that, that, that..." Literally the only thing I could eat was the raw carrots, not with dip. They had chicken veggie skewers, but the seasonings first ingredient: sugar. CONTAMINATED ha! So I left after about an hour and a half and was more than happy to lay in bed and watch tv. Day 25: I decided to cut my breakfast down to 2 eggs instead of 3 the last few days because I was feeling very stuffed. Now I put in just a little more egg whites to get more protein in but this is feeling easier on me. Now that I will be finishing the program soon, my next goal is to start working out more consistently. Today and tomorrow I already have 2 Orangetheory Fitness classes scheduled. I hope I have a great day today and don't let Day 23 get to me too much, cause I feel a bit bleh because of it. Must move onward!
  15. kristilarson

Don't be too hard on yourself. It was just an oops! I've only done this in my dreams...once was pasta, the second time was cheese. I couldn't even enjoy the food in my dreams, though, because I knew it was off limits! It's so difficult to have to think about ingredients constantly! We have a work outing on an island this Monday, and I'm going to have to bring all my own food. No open bar for me either.
  16. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Day 5 Power outage. Well, I got out of cooking last night and today. We have no electricity and I also can't open our fridge. My husband picked up some essentials for our cooler and bought ice... Breakfast was an apple and sunflower seed butter. I took the kids to an indoor playscape place and packed an Rx bar, a pear, and salad that is pretty basic (lettuce, tomatoes, almond slices, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar). I wanted to stop at a health food store to get a cooked chicken breast they sell in their prepared food area... but went right to the playscape place first so I might have to stop there with the kids afterwards to get my protein. I am going to brainstorm dinner options in case we don't get our power back by tonight.
  17. Jane Bruno

Janielu715

Just found this forum on day 18. I started to support my daughter’s journey but I’m finding this to be very helpful to my mindset. I lost 60 lbs on Ideal Protein 5 years ago, and have Continued to go back every year since then because I continue to gain at least 20 lbs each year. The downside to that is a food fear. I’m so used to eating packaged foods that have no idea how to eat anymore. I am already finding a food freedom and I’m only half way through. Buying potatoes and it’s not a holiday? Unheard of for me! I am already considering making this a 60 day journey because in the beginning, I wasn’t doing it for “me”. And now I am, and loving it!
  18. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat post-W30 diary!

Saturday was definitely a food freedom Day, went to a Christmas in July party and ate all the delicious things. Lots of veg! Back on track tomorrow with food prep Sunday.
  19. SchrodingersCat

Meal Planner - how to cut back on meat?

That much bacon or sausage would make me feel blergh too. Try eating decent quality meat instead, you might find it's a very different result.
  20. SassySal

Saloni's Whole30 Log

R4D17: I think tiger blood is here! And not a minute too soon! Yesterday was probably the hardest day for me. I was so tempted to quit. And day 15 too. But today is awesome! I was up at 1 am working! And then did some more work in the morning. So basically I wrote two whole articles between 1 am and 11 am. In spite of the fact that today is SATURDAY and I start a new full time job this Monday!
  21. Beets

Whole 21

Hmm I am really focusing on my weight/appearance I’m supposed to be talking about my health and that too. I always think I’ll miss drinking the most but actually I feel a lot better without booze esp in this swamp heat. Tomorrow am I’ll make vinaigrette for salad and cook pork and cabbage. I got three cans of the good canned mackerel always good in a pinch.
  22. Beets

Whole 21

Day 5 Day 4 was ok. Temptation at every turn but really the ease of the whole 30 is you just can’t eat anything off list. It’s a lot easier than life. I was sorely craving some Diet Coke after cleaning the house, as has become my gross habit, I don’t otherwise drink it except on long road trips. Also I craved chocolate truffles at the butcher, and chocolate every time I opened the fridge. (Also my habit: eating chocolate when I’m hungry instead of food.) Today I went to Pilates in the heat and ran errands. I hate running errands but we are driving to NH tomorrow and staying with mother in law for three days. Love her but her idea of eating healthy is Special K and I’ve had a history of falling off the wagon at her house. I really wanted to get some good food. Fantasizing about eating salmon and cabbage for days I spent $30 on a big filet at a fish market. Got bok choi and cabbage and salad ingredients. Came home braised the bok choi was delicious ate it with the quickly-cooked small flat end of the salmon filet, left the rest of the salmon on the stove left the house for four hours. Fortunately it was on low unfortunately it was only a tiny bit edible when I returned. House not burned down tho Packing my son up for three weeks of camp and just ironed on eight million labels. Jammed some smoked trout in my mouth. Gotta get to bed it’s crazy late but another day down. Party. Now on to template meals. Saw a pic of myself tonight and maybe these pants are just unflattering but well I’m not gonna beat myself up. I am not skinny but my arms look nice. I feel better too.
  23. ShannonM816

Definitely keep going, don't use this as an excuse to eat all the things. You can always wait until day 30 and see what you want to do. Often, people find that when they hit day 30, the idea of just continuing for a while longer is not as overwhelming as it may be early on in the 30 days, when you're still getting into the swing of things and haven't necessarily started noticing all the benefits yet.
  24. KaraS

I would make my whole30 a whole42 so I didn’t feel as if I failed but still got the full benefits of no gluten or whatever is in pretzels for 30 days. But that is just me. There is something powerful with this program when done correctly including reintroduction, I am hoping! With reintroduction we are looking at 40 days at least. Hopefully the moderators will also chime in. @Laura Thank you for your support and I hope you are feeling better very soon!
  25. Last week
  26. ShannonM816

Joint Pain Day 12

No, this isn't really normal. Is this pain you'd had before whole30 that went away and came back, or just something totally new? Have you changed anything else -- started exercising or just generally being more active, or stopped taking a medication or supplement? Is there any kind of weather system near you that might be affecting how you feel? (I know that last one seems weird, but especially if the pain seems related to any previous injury, there are people who find weather changes can affect their pain.) If you haven't changed anything else, it's possible that something you're eating is not working well for you. What immediately comes to mind here is nightshades. Many people find eating them, especially in large quantities, causes joint pain, and since they include things like peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes it is possible you're eating more of them than normal. Read through this and see if it seems like a possibility: https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-are-nightshades/
  27. masonjar87

Ohhhhhhhh, guyyyyyyys...I screwed up! I had an appointment to donate blood today--no problem. Brought an apple and cucumber to avoid the post-donation juice and cookies. Was all proud of myself for thinking ahead. Afterwards the volunteers offered a box of snacks that had raisins, pretzels, cheese crackers, Oreos, etc. Again, no problem. I was prepared--or so I thought. I selected the pretzels and ate them without even thinking about it!! I took the raisins, too...and even looked at the ingredients on BOTH packages! ("Neither had added sugar, so I thought hey these are great!") I even ate the apple I brought! It didn't hit me until I WAS HALFWAY BACK HOME that I had just eaten a packet of pretzels!!! You guys, I feel so silly!! LOL I'm weighing out whether or not to start over or just finish out the rest of the Whole30 as-is. I'm definitely not giving up, just a matter of whether tomorrow is Day 1 or Day 16! Thoughts, anyone? What would you do?
  28. ilovethesea

Hello everyone! I also started July 8th and have felt great every other day after the first week but now I am having joint pain. Has anyone else had bad joint pain after the first week? Mine has been so bad starting yesterday afternoon (let up this morning a bit) and has been just as bad this afternoon. I was achy a bit here and there the first week, but this is way worse. Is this normal??
  29. ilovethesea

Joint Pain Day 12

Is it normal to have severe joint pain after the first week? I had a few aches last week but starting yesterday afternoon, the pain hit and it has been brutal. I woke up this morning a little achy but now the pain is back and with a vengeance. Is this normal???
  1. Load more activity