All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. JenX

JenX- Round 3.5 June 2019

So, I just could not deal with work yesterday. I took the day off and was a complete slug, bonded to my couch watching tv and napping. I have no reason, I just felt I needed to recharge and I feel better today for it. I was also HUNGRY all day yesterday - stayed compliant but not always to template. and I snacked which I don't usually do. I was watching Iron Chef America and the ingredient was herring. That made me so hungry for fish I couldn't even! so I grabbed a tin of sardines and ate the whole thing. I love the ones from Trader joe's - boneless fillets in Olive Oil. so good! LOL! That was at 4:30 and I was still hungry for dinner 2 hrs later. so, to catch up... Day 18 was to plan above. No plated fat at dinner so I had a decaf coffee + 1/4 can coconut milk when I got home along with a handful of raw pumpkin seeds. Day 19 - hash w 2 eggs, coffee w/ coconut milk M2: chicken(breast) salad with a ton of veggies and compliant mayo. figs snack: sardines in oil, garlic aioli M3: roast chicken quarter, broccoli, mushrooms, mayo w/ Tapatio for dip (pretty tasty!) also had 2 small handfuls raw sunflowers. I just could NOT get enough food yesterday. LOL! June 20 - day 20 M1: (late) hash, 2 hb egg, 1/2 an avocado M2: hamburger cabbage-roll soup, mango with chili and lime, avocado M3: spaghetti squash with chicken sausage sauce. extra olives/evoo While my energy is fine, no peaks or valleys, I'm in some sort of malaise where I just don't want to do anything. I think its external stress - sometimes my preferred way to deal is to just shut down and shut out the outside world. At least i'm not doing it with wine and food, so that's an improvement I guess. I'm going to try to get out for a walk at lunch today, and walk or run tomorrow, then hike this weekend. exercise is a way better way for me to deal with stress, I know, and I know it works. I just have to break through my doldrums. Food boredom has also struck so that's not helping matters. I absolutely HATE everything I have in my fridge right now. will be using lots of hot sauce to choke it down and try to come up with new things to make this weekend. If past w30s hold true, this food aversion thing should be gone by then anyway.
  3. JenX

Back Again and Starting June 1st

@Grace247 It's better to take your time and make sure you're ready! Day 20 and I have officially achieved food boredom. I tried really hard to keep the recipes fresh and new and even that didn't help. everything I am eating right now is just a chore. I know this is all part of it (at least for me), and won't last forever but I hate this part! I was up at 6 but couldn't even face breakfast until I got into work at 9am and then still had to choke it down. sigh. I've also progressed from good sleep to sleeping like a coma patient. I am out so hard my alarm is startling me out of bed and i'm groggy for an hour after i'm up. I think I need to start exercising...that's the only thing that normalized me sometimes. Happy almost week 3 everybody!
  4. Today
  5. Lorna from Canada

Whose a fan of canned wild caught sardines?!

Here ya go: http://www.brunswicksardines.ca/products/v/49 While popular in (and made in) Canada - I've purchased them all over the world - most recently in Australia. I don't like the fancied up flavoured ones - just the plain traditional ones. Different than sardines but equally delicious!
  6. Ah interesting. Well, both have their place I think. I suspect the general population of sedentary first-world people would be better off performing the original guideline, but the new guideline might make more people likely to stick with it?
  7. BeginnersMind

Love it!!! I have never had kippered herring.....tell me more!!!
  8. Lorna from Canada

Reintro v2.1 - Day 16 Breaking the Rules

The Whole30 mantra is that those of us who are breakfast avoiders have messed up hormonal influences but, since this is something that has been present my entire life and, since I've been eating a W30 regimen for 6 months now (so, theoretically, my hormonal state should be more balanced and natural?) and I still can't eat breakfast, I'm going with outlier. @Jihanna I could not imagine olives as a FWNB! I like them well enough, prefer green to ripened olives, but, at best, I can eat 4 or 5 before feeling over it. What is it about olives that make them so reckless for you? @JenX I can't workout with food anywhere near my stomach. Even if I run 2 hours after eating a banana, I end up needing to find a place to throw up. That's another rule I break I guess. I'm not a very good W30 person. I suspect I must have a super sensitive gut. It's 9AM here and I'm heading to the gym on my 2 cups of black coffee... Cheers everyone!
  9. ChristiHudler

Vegetables for Breakfast

Whoa, I never would have thought of doing this! Thank you so much for that piece of advice!
  10. Vevster

Are you new here? Welcome!

This is my first week on my first Whole30. I bought a couple of the books, but I find the online resources especially this site incredible too! I had my microbiome tested and it is so easy to eat the recommended foods when doing Whole 30! Hello, everyone!
  11. First, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Depending on how recently you started reducing nuts, your body could still be recovering from the effects. Hormones can also play a very big part in all of this, so if you deal with a menstrual cycle (or used to) then it's possible for that to have some effect as well. Regarding the example of what you eat... Arugula and kale are both cruciferous, so could be giving you gas, leading to bloat. Regular lettuces (from iceberg to radicchio) and spinach are not part of that group, but it does include standard "greens" (collards, mustards, and turnips), a portion of Spring Mix (arugula, mizuni, tatsoi), cabbages, radishes, and of course broccoli and cauliflower (along with some others). Sometimes cooking them helps, not always, it'll depend on your body. When there's a choice, I'd opt for fresh fruit over dried, but it might be worthwhile to skip the fruit for a while. Fructose (the natural sugar found in fruit) and fiber can be fermented in the large intestine, which can cause gas and bloating. Last thought on food -- in your shoes, I'd be looking into FODMAPs and considering a low-FODMAP diet, at least for a trial period (2-4 weeks to be sure your system has time to adjust and see if there's benefit). Whole30 removes a ton of high-FODMAP foods just by nixing the food groups it does, but leaves a lot also... after all, Whole30's focus isn't low-FODMAP unless you craft your personal W30 experience to do that. Good luck to you.
  12. Lorna from Canada

I have always loved sardines and kippered herring. Sooooo good - nice to see you promote it here!
  13. FairyL0u

Day Zero

1. eggs and shrooms and MOUSE 2. chickens and veg of various kinds - salad and green beans and b. sprouts 3. more chickens and more veg - peppers and mushrooms and onions run = 7 miles, bike = 10.5 with shiny new tyre now
  14. Katie B

This is my first whole 30! My daughter, a nurse practitioner midwive, who is very fit and active did the whole 30 with her stay at home husband/dad/cook/ school volunteer etc. the only thing she observed was that she slept better! She actually participates in a 5:30 am boot camp gym class. I have significant health issues - I’m significantly overweight, have diastolic heart failure which in turn causes congestive heart failure. I tend to retain fluids, so I already cook with and eat with no salt. I’ve been doing well, until today. I’m on day 10 and awoke already feeling exhausted. I have had crazy nightmares last night and the night before. I talked myself into going to my Physical Therapy session. Took it a little easy. I’ve been going for 6 months and plan to continue for another 6 months. I go 3 X a week for at least a full hour to an hour and a quarter or more. Im a retired teacher, retired, along with my husband of almost 52 years , from Los Angeles Unified School District, in 2009. We have 4 adult children, and 7 grandchildren. We moved to Spring,Tx after retiring to help out our older son with his then 6 yr old son while he worked and went to college and his son’s mother attended law school. We now live in the San Antonio area with our younger son, and his 18 yr old daughter, who will be a senior in High School in August. I’m 72 years young. My oldest daughter turned 50 this year. Her daughter, my oldest grandchild, is 29 years old and writing her masters thesis at UCLA and preparing and applying to doctorate programs. My youngest grandchild is turning 7 tomorrow in the Philippines, in Legazpi City. Our son is in the process of applying for permanent residency for wife and his son’s mom- one and the same person. Good night all!
  15. Day 10 in the books. I'm finding this round both easier and harder than earlier W30 I have done. Easier because I KNOW what the NSV I will gain from it are. Harder because I am really fighting myself on the "just a little won't hurt" on food I have successfully reintroduced before. So far I'm hanging in and beating it back. I really need my good reset!
  16. @Katie BI love HEB - you should be able to find Tessa Mae and/or Mother Raw salad dressings in there that are compliant and delicious. Ours here also carries primal kitchen mayo. PLUS - you have a Central Market there. They are a great source of compliant foods with an truly amazing produce section. A good thing I don't live within a hundred miles of it, lol. The nightmares sound rough - I've had my share of those during some tough times, I'm always afraid to go back to sleep when one wakes me up. Good job on getting yourself to PT and powering through it, though! You got this!!
  17. Hi everyone! Today is day 10! I’ve been feeling great until today! Today, I hit a wall! I’ve had weird crazy nightmares last night and the night before. I moved in my sleep, waving my hands and calling out in my sleep, disturbing my husband and my sleep. Nightmares aren’t new to me. These seemed more disturbing than others. I awoke with no energy and felt tired. I’ve been doing physical therapy to strengthen myself, improve my balance and walking with my four prong cane and independently. Always with a therapist holding me by a gait belt. I do exercises such as sit to stand, resistance walking, balance, stepping over tiny cups etc. I usually walk with a relator walker. I usually start out by walking up the stairs with one of therapists holding me with the gait belt and using my cane to assist my weak left knee. I had to kick myself in the Butt to get myself to go to therapy. I did go and made it through! I did manage to make big salad with baby spinach, baby greens, cherry tomatoes, canned salmon mixed with mayo, some left over cooked carrots, bell pepper and fresh strawberries with homemade Dijon mustard vinegarette for a late lunch. Then made hamburgers ( no bun for me) and reheated chicken tomato vegetable soup for our family dinner. Relaxing now, watching some tv while I do this.i hadn’t checked in since last week. So here I am. I actually found several compliant commercial mayonnaise and yesterday found 2 salad dressings with no sugar or artificial sweeteners, made with canola oil. I bought them so I’d could take it with me to use in restaurants. I’ll take pictures or send the names along with the ingredients so you can see for yourselves. I found them at our local HEB grocery store here in San Antonio, Tx. I sure hope I feel better tomorrow! I have PT again on Friday.
  18. Annmarie1804

Starting July 1 - Anyone want to join me?

Hi. My name is Ann Marie and I’ll be starting this for 1st time soon. I’ll join you.
  19. ShannonM816

Vanilla Bean Powder

This is an older thread, so I'm not sure the brands listed still have the same ingredients, but it could give you a place to start: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/43066-vanilla-bean-powder/ I haven't looked at that recipe recently, but in general, you can leave vanilla out of a recipe and it will still be good, just not quite as rich a flavor.
  20. Im wrapping day 17 and my bloat is getting worse and my bowel movements (sorry!) are not improving. I’m regular (yay!) but the amount seems too much and is not solid. The bloat is ironic because understanding what makes me bloat is a big reason I did this! For me this was not at all about weight loss and was about establishing a healthier relationship with sugar and impulsive eating. I recently cut back on nuts and that hasn’t helped. about me: 30. Healthy, Very active and fit. (Daily workouts, 50+ mile bike rides, running, swimming, biking, lifting etc) before whole 30: generally healthy with a tendency to binge on peanut mnms, ice cream and dessert. what I’m eating: breakfast: I started whole30 with a banana and almond butter. Lately I’ve had a pre workout banana and then breakfast of scrambled eggs, raspberries, and sautéed spinach. Lunch: salad of arugula and kale usually, cucumbers, snap peas, avocado, grilled chicken, sometimes an egg, sometimes a berry. Olive oil and balsamic. snack: changed from nuts to carrots recently. Sometimes I have dried mango (yeah I know I’m not supposed to snack, I do) I had apples last week and felt better than this week. dinner: usually chicken, sweet potato and shisitos peppers. Sometimes shrimp for the protein. I’ve been out to dinner as well and those nights surprisingly don’t end up in terrible mornings. I usually have meat or salmon with cooked veggies. drinks: water. I don’t drink tea, coffee or those bubbly drinks! how can I conquer this bloat in the time I have left!!! Thank you!!
  21. Yesterday
  22. agcsquared

Vanilla Bean Powder

I would like to make Almond Poached Pears with Raspberry Cream from It Starts with Food, page 282. Is there an approved vanilla bean powder? Should I be wary of a product online that is made in China? I ordered Cook's Pure Vanilla Powder but found it is in a dextrose base. Many thanks
  23. A little about me.....I did a Whole30 a few years ago and never felt better. Then I talked and ate my way back into old habits. Now, I'm overweight, sad and feel crap-tacular. I need to do this so I can feel better, physically and mentally. I'm 5'1(ish) and I weigh in the ballpark of 170 pounds. I gain weight in my mid-section and I hide it well, most times, with my clothes. If anyone is interested in being my July buddy, that would be great!
  24. Grace247

Back Again and Starting June 1st

So, I've already told an untruth; I didn't start yet! I want all my ducks lined up before I begin...then hopefully I won't fail.
  25. Jihanna

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

When my mom wants lamb, she'll get ground lamb and mix it with ground turkey to make lamb-burgers or meatloaf. The lamb itself is too expensive for me to include in my normal grocery budget/planning (for 4-5 adults), but she uses separate funds occasionally for things like that so she can have them (usually just for her and my dad), since they're never included in my plans. Just figured I'd mention it as a possible option, since you can make it stretch a lot farther that way but still get some of the lamb taste and goodness
  26. ShannonM816

Nitro Cold Brew Coffee

Assuming the ingredients are still just coffee, water, and nitrogen, it's fine. If there are other ingredients, it will depend on those ingredients.
  27. Casco

Nitro Cold Brew Coffee

So, is nitro cold brew compliant? I'm not sure I see the answer to that question here and I am also wondering.
  28. Based on what I've read here on the Forum, it sounds like the Whole30 organization is intending for these guidelines to be the new standard on pre- and post-workout. Check out this thread where @ladyshanny shares a statement from Melissa Urban on the new guidelines (the second post): https://forum.whole30.com/topic/56912-pre-workout-meal-confused/. So yeah...
  1. Load more activity