Day 23 - Do you think I was glutened?

Today is day 25 for me! Yahoo! I felt terrible for 2 weeks, but day 15 or 16 I started feeling awesome. I have been totally compliant. On Friday night, we went to Zen Burger, a pretty nice hamburger place. I asked how the burgers were cooked and they said they put a rub on it, then grill it. I asked them to leave off the rub, just do salt and pepper. She said they used no oil to grill them. I passed on the sweet potato fries, because they were cooked in soybean oil. So, I ate 1 1/2 patties of Kobe beef, wrapped in lettuce, with mustard, and avocado. On Friday night I felt my feet and hands were a little bloated, like retaining water. I have avoided gluten for 3 years (although have not been asking these detailed questions at restaurants, so probably have been eating it without knowing it when we go out,) and I recognized that from eating gluten.

My question: What do you think could have glutened me? (Is that a word?) I'm really irritated that on day 23, when I wasn't struggling at all, and thought I was making a good choice, I felt glutened. The feeling and bloatedness lasted through Saturday, and I still feel a little bit that way in my feet, although my stomach seems to better.

What do you think? I'd just like to know, so I know how to avoid it once my 30 is up and I'm eating out. No gluten in my house, so it's just an eating out thing I guess!

It seems very strange that a restaurant would go to the trouble and expense to use Kobe beef, but then put gluten in it? I guess they could to stretch it. You could call and ask exactly what is in their beef patties. It sounds more like gluten than sugar unless you are sensitive to sugar.

I have had troubling and mysterious reactions to restaurant beef three times. I have also avoided gluten (8mo) and attempted ordering compliant in the same manner you describe. One time was a local chain burger joint, once an upscale burger joint and once a mid-range steak (which is called bonsmara beef I have no idea what that means). Now I think about it I've had this reaction cooking cafo ground beef at home too. All I can come up with at this point is some sort of chemical injected solution to prevent spoiling, retain juices or improve flavor. Commercial scale food is a mystery to us all. Ingredients are not fully disclosed, servers and often cooks are in the dark about where the food comes from or how it is treated before it reaches them. What's more, practices that are deemed "industry standard" are not required to be labeled so no one but corporate shot callers are privy to what's really going on in there. I have also heard of more and more purely chemical diets for animals due to widespread draughts and rising hay prices.

I don't know if you can tell from reading that, but I don't go out to eat much anymore.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK most burgers include wheat as a binding. It's listed in nearly all the ones you can buy to cook at home like these ones Aberdeen Angus beef (95%), breadcrumb, seasoning, Breadcrumb contains wheat flour, salt, yeast, which are meant to be pretty upmarket ones.

Having had to stay gluten free for the past 13 years I've become pretty suspicious about eating burgers in resteraunts

Archived