NEWBIE - Starting June 1 and am SO excited!!! Huge changes ahead!

Mrsfrosty

Hi everyone. My name is Michelle and I'd like to join this thread as well. I've dabbled with Paleo in the past and my body always responds really well. However, I am an Ex-Weight Watchers Leader, so it is going to be difficult to stop tracking my food and start listening to my body. I'm ready to commit though, so I'm hoping I can start with all of you on June 1st.

Is anyone going to sign up for the daily newsletter? It would be nice for a bit more accountability and resources, but I really don't want to pay $15 if I don't need to. Do any experienced members recommend the newsletter, and could you let us newbies know if it's worth the price? Thanks!

welcome. I signed up for the daily newsletter and saw feedback that it was worth it. I put my start date as june 1 so thus far only got day 0 prep email but they say the daily newsletter gives you an opp at the end of each day to click yes you nailed it or no, I need to start over....I am excited about it!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Michelle, I did sign up for the emails my first time and loved them! It was so satisfying each night to click on the I DID IT link! As a current WW member, I think of the Whole30 as a variation on WW's simply filling. Doing that might make you be able to let go of the need to track. I've never been great with tracking (despite being a lifetime member), but it was so liberating to know that I was "allowed" to not track!

I've been tracking my food and weight and logging it all almost obsessively for 10 years...ok, not almost...it HAS been obsessive and a way of life for me...so I am actually looking forward to the freedom of NOT tracking...with the goal for me to tune in and learn to my body's signals...

Hey Guys!

I am starting June 1st as well! I wish you all luck and please keep me updated! I'm really nervous about this...I'm (admittedly) addicted to fast food and diet coke...I'm excited to stop eating such awful food, but nervous about the bad side effects and my mind telling me that I can't do this. EVEN THOUGH I CAN!

Haha, Good luck to you all and keep updated! Is anyone doing certain things to prepare to start? Meals prepared, etc? Tomorrow my friend (who is doing this with me, she has done this four times already) and I are going grocery shopping to get food to prepare and tonight I'm cleaning out my fridge, but does anyone have any other suggestions?!

Thanks!

This will be my 2nd W30 and I'm pumped.... so excited you read ISWF and are geared up and ready to take on the 30 days and onto a better life!!

We'll be here for one another so we can bounce ideas around-- I am always open to new recipes and I have been struggling with my sugar dragon the past month so it's time to get my butt back in gear!!

LET'S DO THIS! :)

This will be my 2nd W30 and I'm pumped.... so excited you read ISWF and are geared up and ready to take on the 30 days and onto a better life!!

We'll be here for one another so we can bounce ideas around-- I am always open to new recipes and I have been struggling with my sugar dragon the past month so it's time to get my butt back in gear!!

LET'S DO THIS!

LET'S DO IT!!! Woo hoo

I'm in! This will be #3 for me. I had started one in May but just wasn't committed so I'm starting again with you all on June 1. I would definitely recommend starting just one June W30 thread, which you can post to daily. If you start a new thread every day people will have a hard time following the whole journey. I think you will have a lot more followers and posts if you keep it to one string. And it's easier to catch up if you miss a few days. That has worked really well for other W30 groups and it's easy to check new content on topics you participate in. I will look forward to your daily post Mrsfrosty!

I'm in! This will be #3 for me. I had started one in May but just wasn't committed so I'm starting again with you all on June 1. I would definitely recommend starting just one June W30 thread, which you can post to daily. If you start a new thread every day people will have a hard time following the whole journey. I think you will have a lot more followers and posts if you keep it to one string. And it's easier to catch up if you miss a few days. That has worked really well for other W30 groups and it's easy to check new content on topics you participate in. I will look forward to your daily post Mrsfrosty!

Thx for the feedback re the posting for the group (:

So......I will keep it as ONE thread "whole30 june group" and folks can post there....well adjust if necessary

(:

Kelly

I started yesterday, but I will try to keep up with you all as well since we will be a similar places! Best of luck to everyone starting soon!! I should add that I have tried 2 other times but let too many outside influences get me off track, so I am hoping with being a part of this forum and receiving the daily 30 emails I can stick to it this time!

Where will you be posting this group?? I am so excited to be a part!

Elizabeth: On June 1 I will create a NEW thread titled "Whole30 JUNE GROUP"...and we can all post there during June 1 through June 30. Originally, I was going to do a new thread for each day (Day 1, Day 2, etc.) but the feedback is that it could be hard for folks to find/manage and also overload the board with too many separate threads. So June 1 look for "Whole30 JUNE GROUP"...Welcome!

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE THAT IS GOING TO BE PART OF THE WHOLE30 JUNE GROUP....should I start that June 1 thread HERE under Join Whole 30 section...or should it really be in the Community Section, under Whole30 LOG...where we are supposed to be able to post meals, progress, etc. Which section is most appropriate? I'm thinking the Whole30 LOG section is where it should go...since the join whole 30 section is for us when we first joined and introduced ourselves???

Thoughts? I have to decide by Saturday morning!

I'm starting my second Whole30 June 1st also. It will be nice to be on the same schedule as other folks. It's more risky for me to try and do this during the summer. But, the chocolate and wine have snuck back in.

I need a reset!

Look forward to hearing and sharing check ins on how we're all doing.

I'm going to do a log this time and actually DO some of the exercises in the whole daily news letter.

I can't recommend the daily news letter enough! Well worth the 15$!!!

Pam thx for the well wishes...hope your feeling better (from salmon vs the honey). I am not new just to Paleo cooking...at 52 I am new to cooking...period...believe it or not!

I recently got rid of//donated all my cookbooks....always looked at them but never actually used them (: weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Prevention, Biggest Loser, South Beach Cookbooks, etc. I ordered 3 new cookbooks

Well Fed

Everyday Paleo

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook

Plus I made my first 3 recipes....one from Whole30, two from AncestralChef.com...and I have the NomNomPaleo app on my iPad plus there are recipes everywhere. Here are the 3 I made so far. This is so exciting for a newbie like me!

post-25664-13698783684193_thumb.jpgpost-25664-13698783851282_thumb.jpgpost-25664-13698783999502_thumb.jpg

Love the Well Fed cookbook (they had it at my local Costco- score!), also the Nom Nom Paleo blog. My mom and I have been cooking up a storm prepping for the Whole30- so far we've made mayonaise, hot sauce, ghee, czech meatballs, spaghetti sauce, crabcakes...portioned wild salmon to freeze as well as organic beef and organic chicken thighs. We have tons of veggies, a little fruit, oh- and a jicama in the slow cooker to make home fries and "potato salad".

Mrs. Frosty- your dishes look great! What are the first two? Yum!

Pam thx for the well wishes...hope your feeling better (from salmon vs the honey). I am not new just to Paleo cooking...at 52 I am new to cooking...period...believe it or not!

I recently got rid of//donated all my cookbooks....always looked at them but never actually used them (: weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Prevention, Biggest Loser, South Beach Cookbooks, etc. I ordered 3 new cookbooks

Well Fed

Everyday Paleo

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook

Plus I made my first 3 recipes....one from Whole30, two from AncestralChef.com...and I have the NomNomPaleo app on my iPad plus there are recipes everywhere. Here are the 3 I made so far. This is so exciting for a newbie like me!

post-25664-13698783684193_thumb.jpgpost-25664-13698783851282_thumb.jpgpost-25664-13698783999502_thumb.jpg

Love the Well Fed cookbook (they had it at my local Costco- score!), also the Nom Nom Paleo blog. My mom and I have been cooking up a storm prepping for the Whole30- so far we've made mayonaise, hot sauce, ghee, czech meatballs, spaghetti sauce, crabcakes...portioned wild salmon to freeze as well as organic beef and organic chicken thighs. We have tons of veggies, a little fruit, oh- and a jicama in the slow cooker to make home fries and "potato salad".

I used the newsletter last time and it was great! I kept all the emails so now I have them again in a file ready to open each day :)

I'm excited to start on Saturday and I'm feeling very motivated with this groups support!

Wow you have a lot of prep done! Good for you. My 3 cookbooks arrived today...can't wait to look at them this weekend

Re the pics I posted:

Kale and chive egg muffins fron ancestrychef.com

Chicken and veggies Thai curry from Whole30 guide

Stir fried easy Paleo chicken and bell peppers from ancestry chef.com

Kelly

I used the newsletter last time and it was great! I kept all the emails so now I have them again in a file ready to open each day

I'm excited to start on Saturday and I'm feeling very motivated with this groups support!

I'm looking forward to the newsletter

Hello!!! I'm starting on June 1st as well!!!! Just signed up for the newsletters and will be visiting organic farms on Sat. I have my shopping list ready. This is going to be fun!!! Not really looking to loose weight (2 or 3 pounds would be amazing yes...) But hoping it will help me with this Adult acne I've been struggling with... Anyone in Miami that wants to visit some organic farms over the weekend?

Good Luck to all of you, happy whole30 days!!

OK, so I'm really excited to start on Saturday, and I have the books Practical Paleo and Paleo Comfort Foods. I am reading as much information as possible on the Whole30 and Whole9 pages, and I've got a pretty good idea on what I need to do. However, I'm afraid that I might be missing something. Will I be OK even though I haven't read "It Starts with Food" yet? I have it on order at the library, and since I have a general knowledge of the Paleo way of eating, I figured I'd be OK. I realize that this is going to be MUCH more strict than just eating Paleo, but I don't want to miss anything for our big start up on Saturday. Any suggestions? Should I run out and buy the book or just wing it?

Just my 2 cents, but I think the book is really helpful. I hadn't read it for my first W30, but bought it halfway through and realized I was missing the boat on a lot of stuff. I re-read it during my second, and was amazed how much I missed the first time. Plus, reading it every night kept me really focused and motivated. I plan to read it again during my third. WHICH STARTS TOMORROW! :)

OK, so I'm really excited to start on Saturday, and I have the books Practical Paleo and Paleo Comfort Foods. I am reading as much information as possible on the Whole30 and Whole9 pages, and I've got a pretty good idea on what I need to do. However, I'm afraid that I might be missing something. Will I be OK even though I haven't read "It Starts with Food" yet? I have it on order at the library, and since I have a general knowledge of the Paleo way of eating, I figured I'd be OK. I realize that this is going to be MUCH more strict than just eating Paleo, but I don't want to miss anything for our big start up on Saturday. Any suggestions? Should I run out and buy the book or just wing it?

I think you can get all you need here from this website and from the Forum. As long as you know: no dairy, no gluten/grains/legumes, no sugar in any form (even the 'natural' stuff like stevia or maple syrup or honey), no alcohol.... It really is a back to basics, single ingredient way of preparing your food. For the most part, if it comes from a box I don't eat it. :) Become a label reader; which being Paleo familiar means you already have mastered. I was Paleo for close to a year prior to starting Whole30 at the end of April and it is a true shift. Cutting out the almond flours, honey, sugars and Paleo copies of our favorite conventional dishes was tough! Paleo pancakes will have to wait.

Take a few hours to work your way around here and ask questions if you need to do so. I don't think you absolutely need the book, although it would have been ideal to read it before you started. Why mess with your motivation??

Others can and will chime in, but my biggest mistakes were not eating enough fat with my meals, using Whole30 OK foods like raisins and nuts to fill in for my cravings for sugar to the point where it sabotaged my journey (too much snacking), not planning ahead with meals to avoid the urge to cheat and not keeping a food log. If sugar is a demon for you, my advice would be to just realize you aren't going to be eating any desserts for the next 30 days. Don't go out and make the Whole30 approved strawberries with coconut cream or bowl of grain free trail mix because then you aren't really breaking any habits. Just *my* own advice from experience. I am on attempt #3 in the last 35 days. It is a learning process!

Good luck to you. Of course, take what I say knowing I am not a moderator or even a successful Whole30 completer!!!! Just muddling through this with lots of success but a few big failures.

~Pam

I'll be starting tomorrow (6/1) also. I already eat gluten free so that won't be an issue. I eat a lot of healthy foods, but I also take in a lot of artificial sweeteners and I LOVE cheese and potatoes. I think those will be my biggest challenges, but I'm ready. I'm most stressed about coffee. I drink it with milk and sweetener and a lot of it! I can do this though. I might struggle some, but it won't kill me....I hope.

I think you can get all you need here from this website and from the Forum. As long as you know: no dairy, no gluten/grains/legumes, no sugar in any form (even the 'natural' stuff like stevia or maple syrup or honey), no alcohol.... It really is a back to basics, single ingredient way of preparing your food. For the most part, if it comes from a box I don't eat it. Become a label reader; which being Paleo familiar means you already have mastered. I was Paleo for close to a year prior to starting Whole30 at the end of April and it is a true shift. Cutting out the almond flours, honey, sugars and Paleo copies of our favorite conventional dishes was tough! Paleo pancakes will have to wait.

Take a few hours to work your way around here and ask questions if you need to do so. I don't think you absolutely need the book, although it would have been ideal to read it before you started. Why mess with your motivation??

Others can and will chime in, but my biggest mistakes were not eating enough fat with my meals, using Whole30 OK foods like raisins and nuts to fill in for my cravings for sugar to the point where it sabotaged my journey (too much snacking), not planning ahead with meals to avoid the urge to cheat and not keeping a food log. If sugar is a demon for you, my advice would be to just realize you aren't going to be eating any desserts for the next 30 days. Don't go out and make the Whole30 approved strawberries with coconut cream or bowl of grain free trail mix because then you aren't really breaking any habits. Just *my* own advice from experience. I am on attempt #3 in the last 35 days. It is a learning process!

Good luck to you. Of course, take what I say knowing I am not a moderator or even a successful Whole30 completer!!!! Just muddling through this with lots of success but a few big failures.

~Pam

Thank you all for the great feedback, 2 cents, sharing successes and pitfalls....which is exactly what I had hoped we would do to support each other and increase our chances for a successful Whole30 (or WholeX). THANK YOU.

I am so excited...new to Paleo and Whole30 I have SO much I need to learn...but as Pam said....it's a process (:

I read the book...found by accident...which to me was a Sign and a blessing...I like the suggestion to re-read/review as extra motivation during the 30 days. My book is on my iPad, so I plan to be active here in the forum, read/do the daily newsletter, look at materials/support daily ...make it a priority until it becomes second nature

At work today for lunch we are going out for my last non whole30 meal before day 1 tomorrow....Thai "drunken noodles". And my final Starbucks frappacino....but as the book says...I will be I focusing on what I CAN eat vs what I CANNOT....I'm going to be honoring my body, taking care of it and learning from it!

Day 1 tomorrow folks and I will start a new thread for this group adventure (:

Kelly

Archived