NEWBIE - Starting June 1 and am SO excited!!! Huge changes ahead!

Mrsfrosty

Thanks so much for organizing.

I'm also starting tomorrow -- I'm super excited for our wonderful, local farmer's market and for planning my meals for the week at that point.

I've been moving more toward a paleo-ish diet for awhile, with occasional mostly gluten free grains, legumes, and goat dairy thrown in. But I'm also in the "never say never" camp, so there is nothing I restrict all the time. And in general, I'm suspicious about super restrictive diets and some of the eating disordered thinking they can create (for me! I know they work for many).

I've been adapting amino acid/diet protocols laid out by Julia Ross to deal with energy/mood/hormonal issues, with some success. For me the Whole 30 experience is about giving myself a jumpstart on creating a better balance of aminos and vitamins through diet, partly with the hope of relying on supplements for a shorter period of time. If you're interested in Julia Ross, her books (The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure) are super interesting and a good complement to the Whole 30 for anyone who struggles with mood or depression issues.

I've also found coffee and beer (my husband is a home brewer and we always have delicious beers on hand) really hard to cut back on. I'm not out of control with either, by any means, but don't like the way I use them to wake up or wind down in ways that don't always feel particularly mindful. So both will go for me in June. I know coffee is allowed, but this seems like a good opportunity to say goodbye for awhile (shouldn't be too terrible -- I am down to decaf at this point, albeit MANY cups).

Excuse the long introduction. It's really nice to have people to share the experience with. I am looking forward to eating well with and learning from you all next month!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE THAT IS GOING TO BE PART OF THE WHOLE30 JUNE GROUP....should I start that June 1 thread HERE under Join Whole 30 section...or should it really be in the Community Section, under Whole30 LOG...where we are supposed to be able to post meals, progress, etc. Which section is most appropriate? I'm thinking the Whole30 LOG section is where it should go...since the join whole 30 section is for us when we first joined and introduced ourselves???

Thoughts? I have to decide by Saturday morning!

Usually group versions are kept here and individual versions are kept in the log section. At least this is what I have seen. Feel free to move it where you want. I won't be posting my meals daily, but check in more to ask questions, offer ideas and share experiences.

Thank you Megmac and PamH! I definitely think I'll receive plenty of great advice and help on the forum, but I think I'll go ahead and order the book via Amazon Prime. I should get it by Monday so I can start reading through to make sure I'm not missing anything. I know what to do, but I like your idea Megmac in reviewing each night for what I'll need to do for the next day. I'm going to need all the direction and help I can get! So until my book arrives, I think I can wing it. I look forward in sharing this journey with all of you! (and the countdown begins!)

Looking forward to being part of this group!! I am on Day 3 right now, but plan to piggy back with you all and maybe do a whole33?? Anyway, I am excited to see others meal plans! I don't have a ton of outside support, so I am definitely going to be checking in here, hopefully daily! I also signed up for the emails and they have been great!!! So glad I decided to get them.

Good luck with your final preparations for Saturday morning everyone!!

I'll be starting tomorrow (6/1) also. I already eat gluten free so that won't be an issue. I eat a lot of healthy foods, but I also take in a lot of artificial sweeteners and I LOVE cheese and potatoes. I think those will be my biggest challenges, but I'm ready. I'm most stressed about coffee. I drink it with milk and sweetener and a lot of it! I can do this though. I might struggle some, but it won't kill me....I hope.

I'm there with you on the coffee and sweetener! I have been drinking coffee with almond milk, or half and half...and for YEARS have been using the bad stuff...splenda, etc...then switched to stevia..."thinking" it was healthier...NOT...that was a big shock when I read the book. I tried black coffee....ick! I guess I'll either "learn" to like black coffee...or try someone's suggestion of coconut milk in coffee....or I will drink green tea. Also, my husband is happy I am having to give up crystal light and MIO.....all with artificial sweeteners...and protein shakes and prottein bars.....

Hey Everyone! I am gearing up for tomorrow's big start-up.... getting really excited and nervous. It seems like at one point I saw a meal planning sheet, but after doing some research on here I can't find it. What are you using to plan your meals for the week ahead? I am going to do some baking and clarifying my butter this afternoon, and I would like to have a few ideas written down so I can keep my focus this week. I know I can write my meals down on any old piece of paper, but if there is a worksheet on this website that would take the brainwork out, then I'd love to get my hands on that!

McFly, I'm not sure there is a meal planning sheet, but this link has several worksheets on it: http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood - I went ahead and bought a journal to write down all my plans/observations in to make it seem a little more special. :)

Anyway, I am starting tomorrow too - this will be my second Whole30 - I felt amazing after my first one (it ended about a month and a half ago), but I'm still battling the Sugar Dragon (I've off-roaded more than I wanted too) and understanding my hunger signals, so I'm ready for another Whole30. I can't wait to continue on the journey!

I'm there with you on the coffee and sweetener! I have been drinking coffee with almond milk, or half and half...and for YEARS have been using the bad stuff...splenda, etc...then switched to stevia..."thinking" it was healthier...NOT...that was a big shock when I read the book. I tried black coffee....ick! I guess I'll either "learn" to like black coffee...or try someone's suggestion of coconut milk in coffee....or I will drink green tea. Also, my husband is happy I am having to give up crystal light and MIO.....all with artificial sweeteners...and protein shakes and prottein bars.....

coconut milk! Full fat from the can or I use Arroy-D in the cartons. It is so good. I like black coffee but I now use 2T of the coconut milk and make sure to emulsify it with a little handheld frother I picked up for under $20 (Bon Jour is the brand; not the rechargeable kind). I think the heavy duty blending is key.

One last website, but this one is for meal planning. It's a free printable that I've used in the past to get myself organized. It's here at: http://moneysavingmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Menu_Planners_Pack_Custom_ext.pdf I love the variety she gives you. Weather or not you want to plan one week or all 4 weeks, there are 14 different forms to choose from. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the website/recipes as well as the meal planning tools! Always good to have resources. Besides checking in here...I am planning to journal on my ipad...on a journal app. I can dictate into it instead of typing or writing...how I'm feeling, what's going on...etc. We'll see how it goes. I'm SO excited!

FYI, I will probably post our NEW thread tonight...so that anyone that wants to post early tomorow...can. It's going to be in the Community Section of the Forums, rather than this "Join the Whole30" Section. It will be under the Whole30 Log area...."Whole30 JUNE GROUP"\\

Here we go.....

Kelly

I found the most amazing website! This gal has Whole30 meals planned for the month! The website is called Stuff I Make My Husband and it's at this web address: http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html I'm definitely going to be making some of these recipes tonight. This just made my life so much easier!

just took a quick look at the site and it is very cool! Thx!

Kel

<<<Thx for the feedback re the posting for the group (:

So......I will keep it as ONE thread "whole30 june group" and folks can post there....well adjust if necessary>>>

In January a group did a whole100 and were posting new daily threads - a moderator came in and changed it to one thread in the log section. Just FYI. Personally it seems like it would be in community but definately they wanted just one thread:)

I will be starting Whole30 today. This is a last minute decision but figured I'd follow along for the ride, if that's alright;)!

I've been trying to stay compliant but keep giving in to laziness. I LOVE feeling in control, energized and productive. It's just so hard to maintain the mentality:) so here I go again! 7 pounds to lose, exercise 4-5 times a week including an arm/ab wo, running and spinning.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Would love to join this group too. I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30.

The biggest surprise for me is the number of brands of balsamic vinegar and canned coconut milk that have added sulfites. Success yesterday in Whole Foods: got Organic Balsamic Vinegar made by bionaturae (sulfites in this product are naturally occurring) and also got the Whole Foods' 365 brand of coconut milk (no sulfites). While I was there, also picked up the 365 brand of organic dijon mustard (no white wine).

Also experiencing some constipation - I assume, from all the vegetables I've been eating. Tried kombucha - no change. Just picked up some sauerkraut: hoping that will help.

I've been doing coffee with ghee and coconut oil, mixed with a hand blender (essential for mixing and gives a nice froth on top). It's different, and to me, tastes like international coffee. Maybe give that a try?

I've been doing coffee with ghee and coconut oil, mixed with a hand blender (essential for mixing and gives a nice froth on top). It's different, and to me, tastes like international coffee. Maybe give that a try?

Thx for the tip. I tried it w coconut milk this a.m......not my 1/2 1/2, but better than just black....ick!

Hi all, I'm starting today as well. It took me 4 years to get to the point that I am ready to commit. My husband started with south beach about 4 years ago and I was so not on board with low carb (which I know this isn't). That slowly transformed for him to Paleo as he starting doing more crossfit. The idea back then of giving up my daily caramel mocha was nuts. Without my support and 2 little children, my husband eventually fell off the wagon for eating healthy. Don't get me wrong, we still do tons of fruits and veggies, but we also reintroduced tons of processed foods into our house. I am happy to say over the past year I went from Mochas to Lattes and now I drink most of my coffee So now it comes down to why I am here. This year has been really tough and both my husband and I gained a bit of weight. I was sick for over a month with pink eye and the flu and it got me wondering why my body is not able to fight like it should. Then I started looking at the nutrients I have providing my body, or really the lack of. I decided only I can provide my body with what it needs (not the doctors, or their antibiotics - which just made me worse). All week I have been focusing on not stacking on processed foods and drinking more water. The result I lost 4lbs this week and I hadn't even started the Whole30. So today I officially start. Chocolate will probably be the hardest for me because I think I have had chocolate in one form or another everyday for the last 20 years. My husband is on board, but he is not 100% committed yet because we already have tons of food in the house, like breaded fish and he doesn't want to throw it away. That's fine, I know over time he'll be committed too when he's ready. Today I started my morning with scrambled eggs make with onions and yellow bell peppers. After cooking I added tomatoes and avocado on top followed up with some fresh cantaloupe. Yummy! The only downside - I tried lining the pan with a little coconut oil so the eggs wouldn't stick - not sure I liked that combination of tastes and the eggs stuck anyways. I used to use Canola oil spray, but since that is out, I'll have to figure something else out. (suggestions always welcome). I'm excited to go through this with all of you!

Hello! I started my second Whole30 today with y'all as well :D My first one in April went absolutely amazingly. I lost 12 pounds, was sleeping great, energized all day, no bloating, etc...It was just fantastic. I failed miserably at the reintroduction phase (Moe's burritos and wine aren't really gentle/appropriate choices for that reintro phase :\ )....So over the last month, I've already seen myself falling back into old habits. I knew 2 weeks into this past month that I was going to need another Whole30 after my big Memorial Day events were over and done with, so today's the day :)

We've got this. You've just got to want it bad enough, and believe it or not, the 30 day challenge for me went by so much faster than I thought. It was over with, and I felt like it had only just begun. Good luck everyone!! Being on a message board really REALLY helps keep us focused and on track. Happy Day 1 <3

Ashley

The only downside - I tried lining the pan with a little coconut oil so the eggs wouldn't stick - not sure I liked that combination of tastes and the eggs stuck anyways. I used to use Canola oil spray, but since that is out, I'll have to figure something else out. (suggestions always welcome). I'm excited to go through this with all of you!

I would try a little olive oil. It works great, and the flavor might be a bit more familiar? I never notice any flavor from my coconut oil in my foods, but I know so many people can tell differences. Good luck :) You've got this!

Wow, fun posts from all the June Firsters! Sounds like a fun group, and it'll be great to have each other as resources. People here on this forum are so terrific and supportive!

Look foward to hearing how you all do on this journey!

Archived