NEWBIE - Starting June 1 and am SO excited!!! Huge changes ahead!

Mrsfrosty

Hi everyone. My name is Kelly. I'm 52 years old and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been battling with 40 excess lbs. for over 10 years and am so tired of the battle - both physically and emotionally. I found It Starts With Food by accident when looking through iBooks on my iPad mini. What a blessing! I loved the book and am ready to start my Whole30...for the right reasons...to heal my body from years of diets, junk food and sugar. The book helped me stand back and look at the big picture. I am so OUT of touch with my body that I need to relearn how to tune into my body's signals...hunger, bloating, etc. I also have been told by my doctor that I really should lose 20 lbs. and get healthier before I hit menopause. I'm also currently on blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

Finally, I have been on every diet, am a member of Overeaters Anonymous (a 12 step program) and have weighed myself daily...weigh and measure my food, log my food and count calories, don't cook.....for so many years that diets, food, weight and the scale have become the focus of my life. So, the Whole30 will be a HUGE change for me...not weighing myself...not counting calories...learning to choose AND appreciate good, nourishing food (vs eating out or having processed foods and ready-made salads and dinners), not logging food (though I may use the Whole30 log to be accountable), learning to cook (will keep things simple)...LOTS OF CHANGES AHEAD....ALL GOOD.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and share...

Kellypost-25664-13691971609879_thumb.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad you already read the book! It is a great resource and it all makes sense!

I think you will be very surprised how much you will change in 30 days. While weightloss can be an awesome side effect, try not to concentrate on that being your main goal. I think that's where we all got messed up with the other diets to the point where we lost track of being healthy and happy with ourselves (i.e.beat ourselves up when we didn't lose that 10 pounds in two weeks). It will be difficult at first to walk past the scale or to not measure and weigh food out but it gets easier. It's very satisfying about the freedom from worrying about all that!

And just a suggestion regarding logging your foods...try not to think about it as being accountable (that's a given with anything we do in life, right?? ;) ). Look at it as tracking what you eat and how it makes you feel, mainly physical, so you can see how what you put into your body affects how you feel physically and emotionally. For example, that bloated feeling after eating a lot of veggies could make you feel fat and like you aren't losing weight and makes you want to feel like giving up. DON'T! Log how you feel and the next day or at the end of the 30 days you could be very surprised at how you feel! I had a few of those bloat days or worrying about the amount of fat I was eating and managed to lose 11 pounds and felt so much better at the end of my W30! When I look back at my daily log, I saw where the foods I ate really made a difference in how I felt and it was great seeing the progress!

Enjoy your W30...it's the beginning of a new life adventure! B)

Starting June 1st as well! Definitely hoping to get rid of my "sweet tooth" (i.e., sugar cravings), aiming for better digestive health, and also hoping for some relief from food, environmental, and even pet allergies. Improved body composition will be a nice side effect, too, I hope!

ETA: Forgot to mention that I have also been doing Weight Watchers off and on for five years, and did see some success initially: I lost 30 pounds in the first five months and have kept it off ever since—most of it, with about five pounds that I gain and lose repeatedly. WW did help me to begin breaking my emotional eating habits, but has never done it for me as far as conquering cravings and really feeling completely healthy, especially digestively. Also I feel hungry way too much! Looking forward to eating lots of nutritious & delicious food on Whole30 and helping my body heal from all the crap I've been feeding it my whole life.

Jinkse: thanks for your post. I am going to journal, rather than log my meals and how I'm feeling during my whole30...with the focus OFF weight, cals, inches...and as u said, focus on how my body feels with particular foods. Thx again

Hello, I'd love to join you, if I may.

I completed a whole 30 earlier this year, and felt amazing!!! I've let a bit of dairy, chocolate, and too much wine sneak back in, so I'm ready to be compliant again. I was in a great group during my whole 30, and it made a huge difference. We all checked in every other day or so, and it helped keep me on track---knowing I wanted to come here and post that I was doing well.

I'm down with starting on June 1st. I was going to wait until June 3 so I could shop and prep on the weekend, but I'll shoot for June 1! I started the Whole 30 last year, but became pregnant shortly into it and could not stomach veggies or any meat for almost 6 months. Even the smell of any veggies or meat (especially game) was awful. I lived off of rice and cantaloupe the majority of my pregnancy. It was awful. I had my son in January, and although I lost my weight, my body is not what it used to be, and since starting back at work, I have put on about 5 lbs. So i am looking for people to help hold me accountable and be a cheerleader.

Oh yeah, and I live in Anchorage. :)

Welcome everyone! Thanks for sharing. YES...let's be the June 1 group...and especially once we get started, let's do this together (: and post to get and give support. Woooo Hooooo! We are taking control of our choices and our health and our lives...

Ok I'm in too. I've been about 80% primal for 18 months, but veering towards 50% the last few months and noticing my energy levels slipping, my jeans feel tight and my skin not so good. This will be my first whole 30.....

I live with a very unpaleo husband and 5 year old. I'm usually ok with main meals ( we just do a lot of meat and veg). Lunch and breakfast will be ok because we all eat different things then and thats ok. My challenges are going to be saying no to birthday cake etc at parties, and no 4pm in the afternoon chocolate fix...

Looking forward to hearing how everyone goes...

Runner Duck

Ok I'm in too. I've been about 80% primal for 18 months, but veering towards 50% the last few months and noticing my energy levels slipping, my jeans feel tight and my skin not so good. This will be my first whole 30.....

I live with a very unpaleo husband and 5 year old. I'm usually ok with main meals ( we just do a lot of meat and veg). Lunch and breakfast will be ok because we all eat different things then and thats ok. My challenges are going to be saying no to birthday cake etc at parties, and no 4pm in the afternoon chocolate fix...

Looking forward to hearing how everyone goes...

Runner Duck

Will definitely be challenging for me. Never exposed to this way f lif until. Read the book recently...so learning what to eat/not eat...learning to cook...we normally go out twice a week for dinner....hubby hates veggies...I love ice cream.....diet cokes....vending machine candy.....ugh! On to a healthier me (:

Hi there! I'd love to join your June 1 Whole 30! My name's Kay, I'm 39, and I live in Portland, Or. I really need to manage my sugar cravings and my tendency to eat out of boredom. I'm totally committed to the Whole 30 but I think it'll be easier with a group of people who are doing the same thing. I'm shopping today, going to pick up the book, and relying on my kids to clean out the pantry and fridge of all the "bad" stuff before I start.

I have been doing Paleo for a couple of weeks now, and I love to cook, so I'm happy to share any recipes that I have, or ideas for quick foods. Let's do this!

I'm also starting (along with my mother!) June 1st. I live in Austin with my husband and 18 month old daughter. I have been carrying around extra weight for many years and have been on blood pressure medication since I became pregnant. I love to cook, my family loves good food and wine and we have been in the restaurant/hospitality business for many years. Unfortunately my love of such food, including excess carbs and sugar, has lead me down an unhealthy path. Enough is enough. My mom is 68, and is totally on board and excited to join me in this journey. I've been cooking about 90% paleo for the past few days and have already noticed a difference in energy and cravings. I am confident that the Whole 30 will be a starting point to a way of eating that I will continue with forever!

How do we create a June group? Where will it be posted?

I'm also starting (along with my mother!) June 1st. I live in Austin with my husband and 18 month old daughter. I have been carrying around extra weight for many years and have been on blood pressure medication since I became pregnant. I love to cook, my family loves good food and wine and we have been in the restaurant/hospitality business for many years. Unfortunately my love of such food, including excess carbs and sugar, has lead me down an unhealthy path. Enough is enough. My mom is 68, and is totally on board and excited to join me in this journey. I've been cooking about 90% paleo for the past few days and have already noticed a difference in energy and cravings. I am confident that the Whole 30 will be a starting point to a way of eating that I will continue with forever!

How do we create a June group? Where will it be posted?

Welcome cupkayke and minda!

Not sure how we start a group...maybe I can do something daily that I do in an online workout group....each day starting june 1 I can do a post "WHOLE30 JUNE GROUP - June 1, Day 1". Would that work? Folks can post there...then the next day I'll do june 2, day 2 etc

Kelly

Decided to give away my cookbooks (I've collected a few over the years and mostly just "look" at them...don't cook (: I'm giving them all away....Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, Biggest Loser, etc. at first I was torn, then found there were Paleo versions of some of my husband's favorites...chicken Parmesan etc. so out they are going...and I preferred three REPLACEMENT cookbooks from Amazon...Well Fed, Everyday Paleo and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook...I need simple tuff AND I need pictures (: I also printed some from the Whole30 site, from Ancestral Chef site and from Nom Nom Paleo.....off to a good start!

Decided to give away my cookbooks (I've collected a few over the years and mostly just "look" at them...don't cook (: I'm giving them all away....Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, Biggest Loser, etc. at first I was torn, then found there were Paleo versions of some of my husband's favorites...chicken Parmesan etc. so out they are going...and I preferred three REPLACEMENT cookbooks from Amazon...Well Fed, Everyday Paleo and Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook...I need simple tuff AND I need pictures (: I also printed some from the Whole30 site, from Ancestral Chef site and from Nom Nom Paleo.....off to a good start!

sorry.....a few typos...preferred was ordered (darn auto correct).....tuff = stuff ....LOL....

Good on you Mrs Frosty. Who needs cookbooks anyway with at least 1 million paleo recipes on the internet! Love nom nom paleo.

One of my favourites is stonesoup, always simple and easy (usually 5 ingredients/10 minutes) and has options down the bottom of the recipe for paleo versions.

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/

Thanks for the info..I will check it out!

Hi everyone. My name is Kelly. I'm 52 years old and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been battling with 40 excess lbs. for over 10 years and am so tired of the battle - both physically and emotionally. I found It Starts With Food by accident when looking through iBooks on my iPad mini. What a blessing! I loved the book and am ready to start my Whole30...for the right reasons...to heal my body from years of diets, junk food and sugar. The book helped me stand back and look at the big picture. I am so OUT of touch with my body that I need to relearn how to tune into my body's signals...hunger, bloating, etc. I also have been told by my doctor that I really should lose 20 lbs. and get healthier before I hit menopause. I'm also currently on blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

Finally, I have been on every diet, am a member of Overeaters Anonymous (a 12 step program) and have weighed myself daily...weigh and measure my food, log my food and count calories, don't cook.....for so many years that diets, food, weight and the scale have become the focus of my life. So, the Whole30 will be a HUGE change for me...not weighing myself...not counting calories...learning to choose AND appreciate good, nourishing food (vs eating out or having processed foods and ready-made salads and dinners), not logging food (though I may use the Whole30 log to be accountable), learning to cook (will keep things simple)...LOTS OF CHANGES AHEAD....ALL GOOD.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and share...

Kellypost-25664-13691971609879_thumb.jpg

First of all, you must be doing something right over the years because you sure don't look 52!

Second, you can find tons of recipes on Paleo and Whole30 friendly blogs but I see you found some already. Most of what is in cookbooks is already out there on the web. I bought a huge 3 ring binder which gets more full by the day.

I did my first diet in 5th grade, and this year I am attending my 30th high school reunion. That is a lot of time spent dieting! I've never followed a specific diet from a book or website, but my life has been a long saga of food elimination and calorie restriction. I've managed to maintain my weight, but my habits are unhealthy and have taken their toll on my mental health, physical health and relationships. I am in the midst of perimenopause and taking sugar out has reduced my hot flashes from almost one an hour on Day One to maybe 5 per day on Day Twenty Nine. What a blessing!

I am actually just finishing my Whole30. Well, I wasn't compliant on Day 14 and Day 21 so I'm not sure what to call it! I did make it 27 days without one bite of cookie, cake, ice cream, candy, frosting, etc. That, for this sugaraholic, is monumental! I have been living Paleo for the past year at 80/20, and I think that entire 20% has been chocolate. Cravings are under control but it has not been easy! The first two weeks I'm sure I put on weight as I shoved every Whole30 food into my mouth to avoid putting in some sugar! I did not weigh myself prior to starting no have I weighed myself for the past 29 days. But back to you since this is your journey here!

Third, and final: please get rid of the diet soda. My soap box issue. The chemicals that make up artificial sweeteners are nothing but trouble to our health and well being.

Good luck to you. I hope this is everything in the end that you have hoped for, and that you are happy and healthy!

Pam

Archived