Need help to avoid snacking while cooking!

cafelover

I haven't officially started the Whole 30. I am heading to the farmer's market on Saturday to get some things to start next week. My biggest problem though, as I start to adopt this lifestyle, because for me it will be a lifestyle (except after the 30 days you can bet I'll have me some wine on occasion) is that I want to snack constantly. When I am in the kitchen, I want to pop something in my mouth- all-of-the-time! Whether it's a carrot or a cooked piece of chicken or whatever! I am constantly snarfing. I have been trying for a month to break this habit and know that I won't be able to do the Whole 30 if I do not break this habit. Any ideas?!

Keep in mind that you'll be eating larger meals than most women allow ourselves on the Standard American Diet (often referred to here simply as the SAD). If you go ahead and eat a big breakfast within an hour of waking up, you won't be hungry for a while afterward.

When it comes to the habit of eating often, you may discover that you need to eat four or five meals per day (one of our moderators, Tom, reports that when he started the Whole30 he was eating 5-6 FULL meals per day for a while).

In other words, the best solution is to eat soon upon waking up; and then to aim for three meals or more throughout the day, using the meal template as a guideline. And if you snack, don't sweat it. Keep going. Remember that snacking is discouraged but not prohibited. You can do this!

Snacking like this is a habit and habits are sometimes harder to deal with than hunger. As Amy said you will be eating plenty, make sure not to skimp on the fat, so you shouldn't actually be hungry. One thing that helped me to stop nibbling while I was cooking was to buy a fancy water bottle http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16369/Bobble-Blue-Water-Bottle it actually filters the water as you're drinking it. I keep it beside me in the kitchen and every time I want to nibble, I reach for it and take a swig instead. It stops me mindlessly snacking and keeps me hydrated, win - win :)

You could just use a glass but I'm such a klutz I got fed up knocking it over :rolleyes: Mopping up water's bad enough :wacko: but glass in a meal totally ruins it :o

I'm a professional chef so I'm hip deep in amazing food all day long.... I feel your pain when it comes to mindlessly snacking. Like Kirsteen said, it is a bad habit and those can be broken. You just need to be hyper vigilant of what you are doing. I find that if every time I have the urge to stick a "pacifier" in my mouth, I take 5-10 deep cleansing " yoga " breaths... The urge will pass. Before you know it the habit will be broken.

Just say no.... Lol

I snacked like CRAZY the first week. Anything Whole30 in my mouth to avoid non-Whole30 foods. I ended up eating a lot of nuts and dried fruits with dried coconut. I'm sure I gained 5lbs in 2 weeks! My Whole30 wasn't going well, so at Day 14 I took a step back and realized I wasn't eating enough fat and protein at breakfast, plus I was waiting too long to eat breakfast (often 15-18 hours after my dinner).

The water helps, but for me it was a habit I just had to break. I restarted my Whole30 5 days ago and I'm doing well. I rarely sample what I am cooking now.

Brushing teeth is a great idea!

I snacked like CRAZY the first week. Anything Whole30 in my mouth to avoid non-Whole30 foods. I ended up eating a lot of nuts and dried fruits with dried coconut. I'm sure I gained 5lbs in 2 weeks! My Whole30 wasn't going well, so at Day 14 I took a step back and realized I wasn't eating enough fat and protein at breakfast, plus I was waiting too long to eat breakfast (often 15-18 hours after my dinner).

The water helps, but for me it was a habit I just had to break. I restarted my Whole30 5 days ago and I'm doing well. I rarely sample what I am cooking now.

I agree with Pam and the others! I found that I was snacking a lot more the first week mainly because I wasn't eating enough fat/protein during my meals. During my second week I actually doubled my fat/protein - I felt better and didn't snack nearly as often. Then on my third week I was able to taper off my protein and get more veggies on my plate. I also drank a lot of herbal tea after dinner at first to stop the after-dinner munchies. It takes time to find the balance, but don't beat yourself up about snacking. If you are hungry, then eat. Try to snack on mini-meals vs fruits/nuts if you can. Although I do always keep a little ziploc baggie of nuts in my purse for emergencies.

Good luck and experiement to see what works for you.

I had the same problem with compliant foods, specially toasted coconut, during my whole 30 and even now that I am in the reintro stage. I even had to stop toasting it and not have it around to stop mindlessly having a handful too often.

Water is a great alternative. I fill up my large flask with my water for the day, to have instead of snacking and also to have it there to make sure I drink enough in a day.

I finally did it! This morning I made an entire meal without snacking. I used the water idea from Kirsteen and made a rule: no eating food in the kitchen. Dining room area only! There's going to be a lot of habit breaking/making in the next few weeks, that's for sure. Also, Tom, thank you for the toothbrush advice. Unfortunately that has not deterred me in the past, and I'll end up losing tooth enamel as I try to brush constantly prior and post snacking :)

Archived