Observation about bananas vs plaintains

So I experimented with pan frying banana slices and plaintain slices in ghee. The banana tends to melt and become mushy and very sweet, while the plantains brown up and become crunchy on the outside and soft/starchy on the inside - not as sweet.

I love both, but both have completely different tastes and textures after frying.

I only fried both with ghee and did not add anything else. If you add other things to enhance the flavor, what do you add?

Double fried plantains with garlic and salt. Now whip some guacomole. Crack. Immediate addiction. Working out motivator too haha

You can mash them with bacon (if you have access to a compliant one) and garlic.

Cinnamon is awesome too. But wait a minute, why would you fry bananas if you are on Whole30 :ph34r: What kind of template is that :D

There are several threads regarding cooking them here on forum.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7583-cooking-plantains/page__p__75289__hl__plantain__fromsearch__1#entry75289

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6408-plantains-a-banana-by-any-other-name/page__p__72206__hl__plantain__fromsearch__1#entry72206

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4204-thoughts-on-bananas/page__p__89284__hl__plantain__fromsearch__1#entry89284

Cinnamon is awesome too. But wait a minute, why would you fry bananas if you are on Whole30 :ph34r: What kind of template is that :D

Haha, I guess I got tired of eating raw banana, so on a whim I decided to slice it up and fry in ghee. Shh, don't tell the Whole 30 police ;)

Fried bananas are good, who would have argued :) No judgement here. I don't know what your goals/dragons are, but as long as it's an informed choice and awareness that it's not an ideal choice to meet your goals. And so on and so forth. You know?

Yeah, I don't really have a sugar dragon so as much I have a cheese/nacho dragon (I might add, my college fraternity nicknamed me "Nacho Man" to give you an idea on how big that dragon is). So an extra helping of fruit beyond the typical W30 template doesn't give me craving issues. For other people, it can the the other way around.

I am a total plantain freak. I buy the yellow ones and slice them, fry in coconut oil, and eat for breakfast with eggs sunny side up and whatever other veggie i have available. If its going to be a long time before I get lunch, then I will drizzle a bit of coconut butter over them. I love how filling they are (half a plantain is usually enough for me), how fast they cook (a fraction of the time required for sweet potato), and how cheap they are (.50 each at my local grocery store).

I do have a sugar dragon who is mostly nocturnal. I think because I eat the plantains early in the day with plenty of fat, it doesn't cause cravings for me later on.

So, because plantains are related to bananas, do they count as fruit? or do they count as a starchy vegetable? I'm trying to get more veggies into my breakfast, and as much as I love sautéed spinach and chard, some mornings I just feel tired of the same thing over and over.

So, because plantains are related to bananas, do they count as fruit? or do they count as a starchy vegetable? I'm trying to get more veggies into my breakfast, and as much as I love sautéed spinach and chard, some mornings I just feel tired of the same thing over and over.

They are one of those confusing items. They actually are a fruit botanically, but treated more as a veggie. Either way, they contain a good amount of vit A and C and would add a nice variety to your mornings.

Archived