30 Days of Awesome

shelley417

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all! I'm doing ok, hanging in there! YAY for the clothing downsize! and Linda - I busted up laughing at you getting your "drawers" out of you "drawers"...I must be tired.

I have stayed compliant except for pickles on my burgers. I wish that weren't the case, but it is. I think I've had about 4 burgers (another at in and out which I asked for no sauce...the put it on) and all have had pickles. we went out to an early dinner tonight at a place with sweet potato fries, I asked about their frying them and what oil they use, he assured me it was pure canola oil so I did order them...but I only ate a few because I have trust issues!

I think my body is shifting again, too. I don't know how much more it will, but I want to tighten up.

I would like this final week to be strict and bring more awareness back to my food. I have downed the veggies and have eaten out way too much, way too much meat without veg, and too many things like lara bars. it's been hard for me this time. I almost feel like I know the foods that don't really bother me and I'm trying to remember this is about my change in my relationship with food. sigh. I decided a few days ago that lara bars have been voted off my island. then I ate one today. :angry: I also have fallen in love with the buffalo chicken wings at whole foods. compliant but I eat the skin and I'm sure they are not the highest quality chicken. but they are awesome and easy since I don't want to cook. at all.

hubby and I have been fighting. a lot. seems to go this way, when I try to get one aspect of my life in order the others go to shit. oh well.

I just realized today that these 30 days are over next week! I couldn't believe it!

oh guys...I went out to eat with my husband last night...we haven't gone out the two of us in a LONG time (don't even remember when) and I got bacon on my burger. and ate the chipotle mayo they have because it's awesome at this burger joint. so I basically didn't stay compliant. I did NOT cave in and eat any fries or dessert or anything else. I am going to continue through the 3rd but I felt the need to come on here and "confess". I feel like a whole30 failure. but, on my behalf, TOM is here. at least I didn't fall face first into chocolate (which I contemplated doing)

Jess - others may feel differently, but here's how I see it: after your first Whole30 and after you figure out what affects you and what doesn't, does a cheat really matter?  You've already proven to yourself that you can do it, and you are now, but perhaps not just for the full 30 days.  30 is just a number.  So, maybe this is a lesson learned, but don't beat yourself up over it.  You'll move past it and be just fine.  And if you want to lock it down again, you can.  

I've been skipping breakfast this week and it's catching up with me.  I'm also having some bloating, which I can't quite pinpoint, and I'm having some tummy issues which I almost never have.  I think I can narrow it down to one of two new supplements.  I did some research on one and it's supposed to be started slowly, which I wasn't aware of...  I'm hoping things will calm down soon enough.  I have some time this week to cook, so that's what I'll do!

Karen -  you are so right. it is just a number at this time and I see, for myself, how doing another 30 days was maybe a bit too long for me. but I can see how people do a "whole10" or "whole15". I do know what bothers me, I do know what I can and cannot tolerate, and so maybe it's time I not beat myself up about my bacon and mayo yesterday! it was just a nice time with my husband.

that said, I looked through my freezer tonight as aunty flo has shown up full force. I said to myself "if my favorite chocolate with almonds and sea salt is in there then I'm having some!" and came on here and felt like I have "permission" (?) to eat some thanks in no small part to your kind words! :)  and all of a sudden it's lost it's power over me. so I'm actually not even wanting it anymore. and I'm putting it back and it will come back out on the 3rd. strange, huh?

Jess - I love that you stash chocolate in your freezer.  And I love that you felt empowered enough to walk away from it.

Years ago, my neighbors and I used to get together once a week to mostly talk about dieting, weight loss, etc.  Looking back now, it was quite pitiful and we had no idea what we were really doing, but hey, it was a reason to connect.  

One of them was talking about how if we cheat once, it's easy to say f-it, I'm going to cheat all the time.  With food, it's easy to have that attitude.  But, she related that to an accident in the kitchen.  If you had a dozen eggs in your hand and you dropped one of them, would you then throw the rest of them on the ground and say f-it?  Nope, you'd clean up the mess and move on, keeping the rest of them intact.  

I guess what I'm trying to say, Jess, is that congrats on NOT throwing the rest of the eggs.  :)  

Ladies, thank you for your honesty.

Truth time for me as well.  I've been working 50 hour work weeks for the past 3 weeks and hit a wall this week.  At 28 days I decide (God knows why) that not 1 but 2 snack bags of Lay's potato chips 2 days in a row was an excellent idea for me!  What?

So obviously I fell off the wagon in the home stretch.  I also am going to extend to the 3rd and not throw away the entire carton of eggs.

I did find out something very interesting though.

When I eat crap, I feel like crap and the self depricating "hate" self talk starts.  Amazing to me how that works.  I was calling myself every kind of name these pst few days, for failing in my whole30, for being fat for being ugly WOW, it was all crap and it starte dwith 1 little bag of chips.  sigh.

The good news is that I get it and it is a journey every day for me and just for today I will pick myself up, dust myself off and continue to move forward in a positive manner.

Still feel like crying but that's ok, I get to if I want to!

Hugs to you all.

Linda

When I have the time, I'm going to go back and read the first month of our Whole 100.  Boy, have we grown!  We've learned so much, not just in the realm of food.  This has been an amazing journey of self-discovery, and if someone had tried to tell me 6 months ago that what I ate would have such an impact on my emotions and behavior, I would have said they were crazy.

I LOVE the broken egg comparison.  I have spent too much of my life on the all-or-nothing seesaw.  I'm glad I'm not the only one being tempted.  The other night I wanted coconut milk ice cream so bad!  Me, who doesn't like sweets!  I did mess up a little today.  I was super busy at work.  I managed to eat a couple of grass-fed hot dogs with some kraut, but never got around to making a salad to round out my lunch.  Because of that, I was lacking in quantity as well as fat and by 5 pm I was STARVING.  When I closed at 6 I had to go across the street to TJs for avocados, and wound up grabbing several 'snack' foods.  I got a small bag of nacho-flavored Kale chips, a big bag of sweet potato chips, and a jar of 'artichoke antipasto', which is really an artichoke tapenade.  I did snack on the kale chips driving home, and had some of the SP chips and the tapenade while fixing the dogs' supper.  Actually, I was glad to find there are some really good snacks I can have and serve to others without falling off the wagon.  The worst ingredient in any of them was canola oil.  So I'm set for the Fourth of July.

I joined a group I belong to for drinks at a downtown bar last night.  I only had sparkling water, and didn't feel I was missing out on anything.  It's amazing to me that I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since December 31st.  It's even more amazing that it rarely ever crosses my mind, and even when I'm presented with the option, I choose not to.  I have felt better these last 6 months than I can remember, and I can't see messing with it.

Gotta go finish the "chicken mess" I'm sauteing.   Some breasts I needed to use, sliced up and cooked with olive oil, garlic, onion, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and capers--in short, whatever veggies I had left over.   I'll fix some zoodles tomorrow to serve it over.  Another several meals taken care of!

Tomorrow's our last day.  Kind of anti-climactic at this point, don't you think?  If I don't catch you all tomorrow, I'll see you back on the other thread.

aye God Linda - my voices like to chime in, too.

Maryann - I'm going to have to get to TJ to look for that artichoke dip

I had NO veggies in my house last night so dinner was chicken, avocado, and watermelon. still on. and Wednesday is my last day...

I agree with Maryann - this is pretty anticlimactic. seriously. which, I guess, is an AMAZING thing, right? it's just like any other day.

I have a couple days left, but I did just order salad and I'm not going to grill them about the dressing - it's oil & vinegar based, but I'm not going to get uptight about it.

oh technically today should be my last day but I bout some dark chocolate covered almonds yesterday at WF. I only had a handful (surprisingly) but I think I'm going to drop them off at my moms today and stick with my dark chocolate squares, they will be too easy to go overboard on. I'm not really planning any off roading other than that but I'm sure tomorrow there may be hot dogs or burgers or something I will have.

I haven't weighed myself in 2 months and got on the scale today - down 6.4 lbs in the past two months!! yippee! better than that my pictures I took today showed muscle definition starting in my back!!! I am so very proud!!!

ok, I'm off to the post whole30 thread!

Archived