30 Days of Awesome

shelley417

This:   http://www.eatingforidiots.com/coconut-curry-lamb-and-beef-meatballs/

This is da bomb!  Made it for the first time tonight and it was awesome.  And I bet the leftovers will be even better.  So many layers of flavor!  I served it over cauliflower rice, but cauliflower mash might make it easier to soak up all that lovely sauce.

I am still learning to like curry.  For years just the smell of an Indian restaurant made me nauseous.  I still can't enter one, but making a curry dish at home once in a while is getting easier.  And I made my own curry powder from Alton Brown's recipe, except he says to use whole toasted seeds and grind as you go.  I used his ratios but only had ground coriander, cumin, and cardamom.  Much tastier (and better smelling) than the screaming yellow stuff you buy already mixed.

Crossing fartichokes off my list of veggies to try.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryann that looks amazing! I'm going to put it on my "to make" list.

end of day 2 here and feeling good. like I said before, it just feels nice to be back here.

breakfast was my normal sweet potato hash and 4 eggs around 8

lunch was after CF probably around 2 - macadamia nuts, chicken breast, sweet potato, saurkraut. did I mention I need to get to the store?

I had a lara bar in the afternoon when I was walking around whole foods. damn lara bars.

dinner was buffalo wings from whole foods. I found them in the hot case a couple weeks ago, I've asked several people if the ingredients are right and what kind of oil they use (canola - not a blend) so I'm super happy (and they're awesome). I made some steamed broccoli to go with it.

going to bed early tonight - I'm just super tired. CF was great today - I had 4 days off and often that little break makes for a super workout. ahhhhhhhhh if only I was super consistent on my double unders I would've had another Rx day. poop.

Hmmmm ... stress eating rears it's ugly head! At least I stress ate compliant Whole30 food; not that this fact really makes it any better. I pulled it back pretty quickly, and had a nice convo with the hubs about my "issues". He was just glad that they did not involve him in any way! LOL Watermelon is a definite trigger food for me ... can anyone say "here comes the sugar?" I guess I can!

Fortunately, my new habits took over sooner than usual, and I talked it out. I'm also writing about it here. In a place where people understand that eating a lot of watermelon indicates that there is still food work to be done. Thanks for being awesome. Support is more than half this battle! :ph34r:

I'm lulling my little sugar dragon back to sleep as I type!  -_-  Night, All!

It's lovely to get caught up here. I loved readingbaboutba playful pup as well everyone's successes.

I'm doing ok. Day 35 down. I ate by the AIP template, took a 1 hour Barre Class, worked all day. It's a win all around. my tush and thighs are still aching from last nights Pilates Reformer class but at least I got to stretch them some at the Barre.

I tested GF beef tonight. I was diagnosed with sensitivity to beef 20 years ago but recently was eating it a lot. I gave it up on May 1st at start of the WholeWhatever and tonight was my reintro test. So far so good. I'll keep an eye on it.

Watermelon, yes, it can be a problem food for me too if I'm not careful.

Love the smell of chicken soup in the crockpot. Maybe it will be breakfast!

good morning all. my attempt to go to bed early last night was thwarted by episodes of Dexter. it's my new obsession. and a quiet house.

I am feeling exhausted today and am wondering if it is just part of this whole30. I had none of these symptoms in January, I pretty much skipped all the headache/fatigue/etc and am wondering if my body is more sensitive to the things I've added in than I thought. this was actually my expectation - I don't notice reactions to food until I take them back out. sigh. but I'm desperate to get to CF today, so I think I will buck up and TONIGHT I'll go to bed at 9. promise. maybe.

Although I'm still having a hard time sleeping, I think I'm sleeping pretty soundly.  I've been sleeping through my 3 am alarm to take a med two days in a row.  Don't even recall hitting snooze.  That's good re: the sleep, but missing the med is bad.

I suspect my stress level will be decreasing.  A source of stress at work just put in 2 week's notice.  It's gotten better lately, but I still feel like I'm walking on eggshells.  In a week and a half, I'll be able to comfortably breath at work without being under the watchful eye of someone that doesn't manage me.  

And the stress of my family dealing with the estate of my Grandma took a turn.  Essentially, my dad was taking his stress out on me, doing complete 180s on what I need to do for my part, and I put a stop to it today.  (After a mini-melt-down, but that's the only way to get him to stop yelling so at least it worked).  Love the man to death, but he has no concept of how to manage stress.  We agreed we're on the same team and have the same end goal in mind, and if we (he) disagree on the details, we (he) can talk about them without yelling our (his) voices.  We also agreed that we're both have a lot on our plates and we'll do what we can to minimize it for each other.  It's taken us 35 years to have that talk.  I'll consider that a milestone.

I didn't eat much for breakfast today.  I brought a tasty lunch to work but ended up going out to eat with another coworker to dish about the resignation of the stress.  Was 100% compliant - burger w/out bun/cheese/condiments, lettuce, tomato, and raw veggies.  Had leftover lamb for dinner and some fruit.  No veg yet.  

Kickball was cancelled tonight due to the rain so we're going to meet up at a restaurant instead.  I should be able to socialize without the pressure of drink / food, and it'd be good to get out tonight.  

hi all! sounds like we are all plugging along. I'm at end of day 3 for me.

breakfast was usual

lunch was some leftover chicken, saurkraut, and sweet potato

dinner was 2 hot dogs with some plantain chips and salsa...yummy mayo I just made and some horseradish mustard. the salsa was great and I'm not a huge fan of the plantain chips, but they are a great vehicle for the salsa! :)

I'm feeling bloated, crampy, and tired today but went to CF anyways and Rx'd my workout...apparently you can now step up for box jumps. I always use 16" and jump but have a goal of using a 20" by my birthday with a jump...starting with step ups for now.

Four official days down for me now. Wasn't very hungry the first two days but feel like I've over eaten these last two...dates and nuts too :(

Woke up headachy and grumpy this morning... Nuts? Or possibly egg.... Had excluded them both for a week on purpose... Will retest again in a few days. Taking my mum to chemo tomorrow and my sister is in hospital for depression again... She is diabetic and has been eating vegan for the last 6 months.... I have been wondering if that was going to mess her up... So sad... And my husband isn't talking to me because I watched a youtube video with my son on my ipad when he was watching tv... I hate that tv seems to rule here!

Anyway, onward and upward.

Good Morning All!

Day 6 for me, wow, seems a little easier this time around.  I did notice yesterday and the day before that I was screaming at people while driving and prone to getting irritated very quickly, so even though I didn't off-road much, apparrently there was still crud to clear out of my system.

Speaking of which, is anyone having intestinal issues?  It has been CRAZY for me the last 2 days.  Listen, I'm just working with it because I figure whatever is leaving needs to be gone!

I worked out at the gym on Monday (upper body work out) and walked the dog 2 miles.

Yesterday I went to a dance class that was FANTASTIC and had a ball!  Sweated my buns off too, so that's a bonus!

As an aside here, I realized that I am having some severe body issues at the moment.  I have dysmorphia so what I see is not always real.  Just felt so ashamed to look at myself in the mirror at class last night.  Comparing myself to everyone else and finding myself lacking.  ugh.  exhausting.  

I bring it up because if I keep that a secret, it takes over my whole life.

It's not just about the food, is it?  I know that and I am being reminded in many ways what I need to work on.

Still, I am grateful I have all of you and that we walk together on this one.  Thank God for that!

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast - Butternut squash blueberries & coconut milk with 4 pieces of slab bacon.

Lunch - Salmon salad apple w/almond butter

Dinner - Steak & zucchini w/ cumin.

snack - sunflower seeds

I think I need to visit my portions.  What does everyone else do?

Today I've walked Tessa 2 miles and if the weather holds will walk an ill friends dog 1 mile tonight.

Wishing you all a terrific day.

MaryAnn, Going to try that curry recipe, it looks divine!

Justine, wishing a happier more settled day for you.  Hang in there!

Jess, I'm feeling bloated too but it is getting better.  Way to power through and still show up for yourself!

Karen, congrats on your bravery & breakthrough.  That a big deal.

Mrs. Lynch, I love watermelon!!  I get it.  I treat myself in the evening 1 or 2 x's a week.  Anymore and I'll bath in it!  LOL!

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks Linda. Good you seem to be finding your stride. I am sleeping and exercising well and eating compliant no probs but need to lock the nuts up!...ps..... I try not to look in mirrors, worse than scales.... The panelled ones at the gym are slightly distorted... Which is quite funny when travelling laterally in a class..... To see how much you can change!

Thanks for the encouragement Justine!

Walked the dog yesterday for 2 miles.

Breakfast - 3 proscuitto wrapped egg muffins

Lunch - Salmon Salad

Dinner - Lemony eggplant fries with mayo & an apple w/almond butter

snack - sunflower seed - thank Jesus they're gone!

Didn't drink much water yesterday and am really feeling it today.  Intestines still acting up so the combo kinda wiped me out last night and this morning.

Payday today!!  That means I can go buy more groceries!!

Have a great day all!

Day 7!!

Linda

Jess - I hope the tiredness lifts quickly!  I didn't notice it so much this time around, but I have in the past.  It sucks.  But you'll get over the hump if you haven't already.

Linda - I think deep down, we all have some sort of body image issues.  But it's not a secret anymore, so hopefully you can let that go.  

I tried on my summer clothes today and 95% of them fit!  I typically gain weight in the winter and lose it slowly over the summer, so by the time late July/early August rolls around, they finally fit.  I think this is a record!  Now if only I can get those endocrine issues resolved for good this year so I don't pack on the pounds this fall/winter...  

Finding it really easy to be compliant now.  Had company over for dinner last night and I made quite a feast of all compliant stuff, and wasn't even remotely tempted by two boxes of donuts at work today.  They smelled fake, if that makes any sense.  

rounding out day 5 for me here! I am feeling like I'm getting over this "kill all people" and exhaustion all at the same time. today was a little better. I did go to bed last night around 9:45, which is great for me. it's 10 here now and I plan to zonk out after writing here.

last night we went out for burgers, brought my own mayo and mustard...asked a million questions...felt like old times! :lol: :lol:  I didn't ask specifically about the steamed veggies (my fry sub) and so didn't really eat them, but made my burger more into a salad with all the lettuce/tomato/onion.

today I had my usual breakfast

lunch - butternut squash soup with sausage, a banana, coconut butter

dinner - we were at a friend's house until late (almost 9) and when I got home I didn't have any intention of eating, I had a lara bar, then cooked my favorite chicken to have for the weekend. I had made some cashew butter cabbage at her house. it smelled so amazing I did have a very small plate of it and am glad now since I'm not hungry but not at all full. can't wait until lunch tomorrow! (and dinner!)

I always have body image issues. I am so grateful our CF gym has no mirrors. I don't think I would exercise if there were. I'm just so self conscious about how I look doing everything. I'm embarrassed easily and don't need that added in. I am finally at a place where people are making lots of comments about my weight (one guy at CF today and Wednesday another girl at the gym who does AKA came over and commented) and that is SO helpful, I thanked both of them profusely. and at the box today we actually were all talking about throwing out our scales. I haven't weighed since mid May (about 30 days after our completion) and I might weigh at the end of this whole30 but I'm not sure.

I must say I am SO grateful that we did 100 days. this seems like second nature to me, it actually just feels nice to get back to the basics. my friend's daughter wanted to put on a play and so we were over there for most of the day into the evening and they were going to make popcorn, it wasn't even a question for me even though I've not had any problems with corn. just nope, not now. my friend is totally aware of my whole30 and doesn't even bat an eye, SO nice. she is super into fit for life and I made my cashew butter cabbage at her house, she did take a few bites but said she couldn't eat it because of all the fat in it (has some coconut oil and a can of coconut milk). it's ok. I know she has her views and beliefs. but I am so happy I get to eat food I love because she does complain a lot about the taste of the food she eats.

working tomorrow and, like I said, super excited to nom nom my eats there! night everyone!

p.s. Linda - what is this lemon eggplant you are speaking of? I need new recipes...

Hey all, good to hear we are getting on with it. I have had kill all things (a bit), tiredness (gone now) and a bit of depression (eggs or helping my mum fight cancer) but doing all right really. I do keep thinking about coffee and cocoa but haven't yet succumbed. I did make the mistake of buying nuts and dates last weekend but they are nearly gone and I wont replace them. Havent had any swypo or even near swypo meals which I am really happy about, got into a bit of a habit with this for a few weeks. I also feel my shape changing too! I can wear pants that have been too tight for awhile. My belly is still a bit bloated and tender post surgery but I have noticed I don't wince when I sit or bend down anymore so that's got to be a good thing. I am getting back into the exercise slowly, mainly sticking with walking but managed three classes at low pace last week. Hoping to go rollerblading tomorrow! Have a good weekend (its a three day-er here).

end of day 6 for me. I must say I really appreciate and love all you guys. tomorrow my neighbors are having a party to celebrate their daughter's graduation from high school and son's graduation from middle school. these are our second children. it would be so easy for me to just off road a bit at the party, but I am committed to myself and to our group and will get through it. I can see why it is so hard for people to do consecutive whole30's - it's almost the attitude of "I know I did it once...I did a couple days..."

today was a crazy busy day at work. I ate breakfast kind of late (usual breakfast) and had my chicken, cabbage, and beets with me for lunch which was around 3pm. I got home around 8 and wasn't hungry and hate eating that late. it's a tough call. I ended up eating a small amount of chicken and cabbage. going to have to experiment because I really don't want to be eating when I'm not hungry. would've loved to have had an even smaller portion of chicken and some watermelon...but I didn't have any watermelon! so that didn't work! haha!

off to sleep. again, too late...coming down with a cold but at least I seem to be past the kill all things and sleep forever days.

Jess, I agree, I have found myself thinking about having a glass of wine, or some canned beetroot which has 8% sugar, but not doing it because of my commitment to you guys. I just say, hey, you can do without for 3 weeks surely... I have been a bit hungry lately or perhaps its just being around the house on weekends that does it, but my snack/extra meal has been good choices like tuna and raw carrots with fruit or a few nuts or some ghee etc. I think I had a second lunch a couple of days ago too but again it was a proper meal. I would like to eat less but if I feel too deprived or hungry I will go swypo so hoping this will work and I will still lose some weight.... if nots its not the end of the world but it sure would be good to get rid of some bulges and fit my clothes better..... Hoping this time around I wont have an extinction burst at least being an old hand at this LOL

I have company in town this weekend and we've been making a few meals at my house.  My cousin's husband is a pescaterian so he's at least on board with a bunch of veggies and I grilled up some meat and fish.  

But, we went out to lunch yesterday and I'm not sure what it was, but something snuck into my meal.  I felt drowsy afterward and needed a nap.  And I was bloated.  Felt hungover after I woke up and ended up going to bed early.

And, I know the scale is supposed to be off limits, but it's a really helpful tool for me to ID how bad foods affect me.  I find that when I cook for myself, the scale is really consistent.  There aren't any swings of more than .2 to .4 pounds and it's consistently going down.  Today it was up 3 pounds.  Yup, some mystery ingredient was to blame for 3 stinking pounds.  

I'm traveling tonight to see a band both tonight and tomorrow and will be staying in a hotel.  I'm going to have to bring some of my own meals to un-do this and keep moving forward.  

Good Morning All,

Day 10 for me...yippee!  I can't agree more with how grateful I am that we did the 100 days together.  It is easier and more effortless than before and I can't help but feeling that a reboot every now and then wil solidify these new habits and help me move into my authentic self which I have been bereft of for far too long!

I am experiencing some different symptoms this time around.  My poor intestines are still in an uproar.  Last week was very stressful for me and I think that was part of it.  Boy, if you want to know what's going on, listen to your body.  sheesh!!  I was also a little too quick to anger.  Luckily I kept my mouth shut and recognized that it was likely some good old fashioned detoxing.

I have some new goals for the remaining 20 days...

1.  I will increase my exercising.

2.  I will be fully in my 10's (or better) and get rid of my size 12's.

3.  I will reduce the fat in my body & clearly see my leg muscles.

4.  I will reduce my belly size by 2 inches (or better).

BTW, the Whole30 folks put this out on the website today.  Thought it might be a helpful brush up of what we can and cannot consume on a whole30.

http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Jess, the lemon zucchini fries were interesting.  I don't know if I'd recommend it but I was also looking for new recipes.  If you want it I'm happy to share it with you.  May I have the cashew butter cabbage recipe?  That sounds amazing.

What is everyone else eating?  I'd love to post and swap some recipes here.

How's everyone doing?

Hugs,

Linda

oye lord I am having a hard time over here. I am SO sick with some kind of horrible head cold and my daughter chose last night to re-visit waking up in the middle of the night. she woke up at 3am and by 3:30 I gave up, brought her downstairs and let her watch a show and have a snack. she finally went back to sleep a little after 5am. the problem with me being sick is I really really am craving sweets and junk food. the party yesterday was really hard for me, the food looked great, they made pork ribs and I know they know I love them so I felt horrible for not eating them. luckily I am sick and used that as an excuse. the only thing I did eat was watermelon and pineapple (the other thing I'm craving is watermelon...probably the liquid). THEN my parent's church had an ice cream social and cake walk yesterday. they really wanted us to go so their friends could see the girls, so we went to that and more cake and brownies and ice cream. it was tough.

needless to say yesterday was a compliant day with not great food choices. I had my normal breakfast, cabbage and ground beef for lunch, some nuts, watermelon, pineapple, lara bar for a snack (holy crap, writing that down I feel horrible...WTF!?) and then a small bowl of cabbage and beef again for dinner. this morning I woke up hungry, grabbed a handful of macadamia nuts and realized really quick that I would have to make my breakfast immediately. so I did. I feel better but those brownies my daughter won at the cake walk look SO amazing. I'm going to have to stay out of the kitchen.

I am hoping the little one goes down for a nap early today...you can bet I will be right there in bed with her. super lucky the older one can take care of herself and read a book or watch a movie or something.

I desperately want to go work out today but I guess it won't be in the cards, huh? (this is where you all tell me I'm crazy for even contemplating it. because I really really want to go but I know it's not the smartest idea)

my recipe for cabbage is this: http://www.barefoodcooking.com/vegetables/almond-butter-cabbage/

I use cashew butter instead of almond butter, a can of full fat coconut milk instead of coconut cream. it's pretty creamy and delish. I love to mix in some ground beef and it tastes like "hamburger helper" to me. LOVE IT!

Hi, all!  I can once again post like a normal person, now that the "kill all things" stage is over.

I read Linda's opening sentence and thought, ""Wow.  Day 10!  She must have started early."  Then I looked at the date and it was my Day 10 also.  LOL  How funny that it has become so effortless I thought I couldn't have been more than 4-5 days in. 

Crazy busy today.  Store closed, but had to go in and feed/clean.  Then had an appointment with a woman who has end-stage lung cancer and want me to rehome her parrot.  Sad.  She's only a couple of years older than me, and has less than 6 months.  Every ashtray in the house was full, and when I pulled up, her husband was smoking on the porch.  Go figure. 

Then ran some errands, but had to bring one of the foster dogs on a home visit to Marco Island (almost an hour away) with potential adopters (they passed with flying colors and they loved her, so she'll be leaving me soon!).  Long story short, no cook-up, not even shopping done.  Don't know when/if I'll have time to hit the all-organic store.  Only one garnet yam left.  Can hardly swallow regular sweet potatoes any more, I'm spoiled.  Think I have the fixins for a pot roast.   That'll hold me for a couple of days.

end of day 8. I know what you mean Maryann - I'm trying to figure out where the 8 days went!

I, again, am having super strong sugar cravings with this sickness (or maybe being sick has nothing to do with it?) and had some watermelon with dinner tonight, didn't push off my veggies from my plate so I'm ok with it. I did have a lara bar for a snack. again. they are gone now and I'm not going to get to the grocery store for a couple days so I'm good.

funny how when we first started back in January I was desperate to try new things every meal and needed to mix it up, etc. now, like Maryann said, I make something it holds me over for days. I made my favorite chicken and cabbage on Friday and I'm going to finish it up tomorrow, it hasn't gotten old, I love it, and I haven't had to cook! ha! pulled out some of my squash soup that I keep in the fridge and with dinner out tomorrow night I'm good through Wednesday at least. was it on this thread or this group that we were talking about how spoiled we are in our world when it comes to eating? everything needs to be "new" and "great" instead of simple and nutritious, it can even be the same several days in a row. big deal.

anyways, like I said, still sick and didn't go work out today even though I really wanted to. decided to rest it up and go tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

zzzzzzz

Jess - hope you're feeling better soon!

Maryann - I, too, am spoiled by garnet sweet potatoes.  I used to think I didn't like sweet potatoes until I picked some up from my co-op last year and I thought they were delish.  When I bought them at the regular grocery store, well, I couldn't stand them.  Too mushy and bland.  

Linda - good goals!

I'm still feeling the effects of this weekend.  My belly is not flat.  It's bloated.   :(  I was in Chicago Sunday/Monday and made the best choices I could make (including eating all the stuff I had packed!) but I still think I got some additional crud that my body isn't happy about.  Had an awesome time away otherwise.  

Oh, and I'm dead tired today.  Got home at 1 am and got about 4 hours of sleep.  Rough day.  And, of course, I had little food in the fridge to bring to work for breakfast and lunch and now I'm starving.  I have a few things on the grill at the moment to tide me over.

My first CSA pickup is tomorrow!  I'm stoked!!  Though I saw the box list and I'm getting a few things I've never cooked before.  It'll either be a good experiment all together or a waste of good veggies.  My goal is to get through most of the items every other week and bring my grocery bill down.  Wish me luck!

I have been hungry for days.  Even added a whole avocado to my lunch today and still was starving long before dinner time.  Realized I have been very light on starchy vegetables this week.  I've eaten enough veg, but mostly salad fixings, cabbage, leafy greens.  I guess I'm just one of those people who needs more fat and starch in my diet, even though my exercise routine would hardly be called "working out".

I've always considered hot dogs to be junk food, made of all the scraps and inedible parts left over.  So "organic, grass-fed hot dogs" always make me smile.  But I bought some on the way home tonight, because I was starving and didn't want to wait to cook, and they were delicious!  Thanks, Trader Joe!  So glad you opened your first store in the state of Florida directly across the street from my shop.

This morning's victory:  Being able to take a pair of pants out of the dryer, pull them on, and button and zip with ease.  No jumping up and down or doing the wiggle-butt dance.

Archived