Whole30 Vet Scared to Take the Plunge Again!

Folks,

It's been a while since I've committed myself to a Whole30 (did my second in January with lovely results). I'm planning another one starting June 1st to tee-up to my birthday in July but I have to admit - I'm NERVOUS!!

Background:This will be my third Whole30, my first was last October, second in January - and then I did one for like 3 days in March against my will knowing it was too soon, so I didn't feel horrible about myself for backing out (as I will if it happens again now that I've had enough time in between). However, since that March attempt, I've actually transitioned really nicely into a normal Paleo lifestyle. I eat paleo, splurge RARELY, drink red wine when I'm being social or if I really want to, have become seriously dedicated to CrossFit (well...I go consistently 3 days a week) and while I haven't had huge weight loss results as with the Whole30, I haven't "bounced back" or gone crazy off-roading and I am continuously toning up and getting stronger.

I guess I'm scared for two reasons: 1) even though "I don't really care" that I lasted 3 days in March, it's in the back of my head for this one, I worry I'm either going to be too lax or too hard on myself and 2) I'm worried that having been "normal" Paleo for upwards of 2-3 months and CrossFitting regularly, I might not see those beautiful Whole30 changes as obviously as my first and second rounds.

Any who- I'd love to hear if any other Whole30-vets have felt this way about looming Whole30's. How did you get over it? Just one day at a time like the first one? Were there any challenges that are different this time around (like getting annoyed that "Hey! This is usually how I eat anyhow, what's a little soy letchin here or there")? Did you create totally new goals for yourself?

When I started I did 2 W30s back to back, finally tried riding my own bike and then a couple of months later did a 3rd W30. I thought it would be a dawdle that time, after all I'd done it before, I ate compliant 95+% of the time so it was no biggie, right? Boy, was I ever wrong :D I found it much harder than before. The novelty value had worn off and like you I started to resent things, I mean I was normally fairly compliant so what if there was sugar in this bacon or smoked salmon or honey in these dill pickles, what difference could it really make?

I had to sit down and really evaluate why I was doing this, as you say, you need goals, without a goal it's so easy for it to become a bit meaningless. I'm starting another on June 1st. This time, because I still have ongoing health issues, I'm doing the Autoimmune protocol and, yes, I'm nerbous and a bit scared but really comitted to it and, yes, it's one day at a time plus a lot of forward planning. I also found this recent blog post really helpful http://whole9life.com/2013/05/plug-it-back-in/ so I'm going to drop the excuses and plug back in :) Good luck, we can do it.

Kirsteen! That was really helpful and honestly a bit inspiring. You totally get what I was trying to relay; "the novelty had worn off and...I started to resent things". I'm looking forward to reading the post you recommended as well as taking some time to evaluate my goals and reasons for doing another Whole30. Thank you :)

there are a group of us who did a whole100 starting Jan 1, we are doing 30 days starting June (one person has started, a couple of us are starting the 1st, a couple the 3rd) - we are under "30 days of awesome" in the log - come join us! I can't do this without a group it seems.

Archived