Help! Meat making me sick

I'm on day 9. I feel I've been doing pretty well so far - I've gotten over the hump with a lot of my cravings, which is fantastic. However, I'm experiencing a pretty big problem right now - the thought, sight, and smell of meat makes me sick! I've never been a huge meat eater, so adjusting to eating it at every meal has been, well, an adjustment. I started out okay, but the last 3 days have been very difficult. The meat I cooked on Sunday had a strong smell that permeated the house, and ever since then, I can't shake the nausea when I look at or think about eating meat. I've been forcing it down, but this can't continue - I don't think I'll last through the whole 30 like this.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm hanging on by a thread today. I made eggs for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow. I'm not a huge egg fan, but at least they're not making me ill. I'm fine with veggies and everything else... it's just the meat getting me down. Should I eat steak and Applegate farms hot dogs for the next few days? Those are the only ones I can stomach, but that doesn't seem very healthy...

So sorry you are having a hard time with meat. I wish I could better relate but I cant. I do wonder why you think steak and compliant hot dogs are unhealthy. Seems to me you are okay with quick cooking meats. Do you like seafood?

Well steaks are great. Especially if they are from pastured steer. If not, just choose lean cuts and/or don't eat the fat on the outside. Sodium is not a big concern. You are not eating processed foods which are the big sodium rascals. Do you like eggs? You "hate" all seafood? Really?

I tolerate eggs. I don't really like them, but I can choke them down. Seafood is intolerable. I can't eat it.

I guess I didn't realize how limited my diet has been. Perhaps I'll focus on some good steaks for now.

Aww..I hope you can figure this out without having to "choke them down". I really feel food should be enjoyable. Lamb and pork chops are good too.

Grass fed steak if you are going to eat just steak. At least make it the Omega 3 rich kind of meat. More expensive, but worth it (taste and health wise).

What did you do for protein pre-Whole30? Dairy, beans and legumes?

Grass fed steak if you are going to eat just steak. At least make it the Omega 3 rich kind of meat. More expensive, but worth it (taste and health wise).

What did you do for protein pre-Whole30? Dairy, beans and legumes?

Just to keep it real. Not everyone can afford grass finished beef. W30 can be successfully attained at all or at least most income levels.

Sometimes nausea is because of dehydration. Also, when I go into ketosis the smell of meat can make me nauseous. Are you eating sweet potatoes and some fruit? If not, give it a try and it might help.

Have you read http://whole9life.com/2011/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged/ It deals with a lot of the problems of adjusting to eating meat when you haven't been used to it and has quite a few suggestions to make it easier. I hope you find something that works for you because eating food that's giving you nausea is miserable to start with and totally unsustainable in the long run. Good luck

I can do grass fed beef. I'm just having trouble sourcing it! It's not very common around here, apparently. I think I'll focus on steak for the next few days and see if that gets me over the hump. I also made some pork spare ribs last week that don't sound terrible.

Previously, I would eat meat at some meals, but it wasn't the focus of the meals, like lentil soup with chargrilled chicken. The chicken was almost a garnishment. My favorite meals often contained no meat at all (pasta, pizza).

Thanks for the encouragement! Last night I was thinking there's no way I can do this, but I feel more hopeful today. One day at a time!

Have you read http://whole9life.co...eat-challenged/ It deals with a lot of the problems of adjusting to eating meat when you haven't been used to it and has quite a few suggestions to make it easier. I hope you find something that works for you because eating food that's giving you nausea is miserable to start with and totally unsustainable in the long run. Good luck

I had not seen this article - thank you! It was helpful.

Archived