What's up with all of the spam?

Beets

My husband said bots sometimes find places and inundate them for a while. I hope these go elsewhere soon.

(Apparently, there are some forums that can get around the problem through their registration, but this is not one of those.)

It does seem to flow in waves. I remember Derval and I had some fun with one. It involved a designer cow jpeg of some sort. :)

Please tell us you didn't report it and it is archived. :D

I heard it years ago on Mark and Brian's radio show. Some sort of supposed connection to a tribe said that spam was the "meat" that tasted most like human.

I heard it years ago on Mark and Brian's radio show. Some sort of supposed connection to a tribe said that spam was the "meat" that tasted most like human.

Oh interesting..and slightly creepy. :)

Should we be reporting the spam posts, or are you in the process of cleaning them up? I understand how sometimes a million people pointing, "There's a problem right here!" over and over sometimes makes things worse instead of better but at the same time want to be helpful if I see it.

Oh god. A million years ago I taught English in Palau on a coral atoll without running water or electricity. The people there ate mostly fish, raw fish, taro--and spam! Tons of spam. Fried spam, spam soup, cold. Ugh. The giant clam left out in the tropical sun for days for people to cut off hunks and eat raw was bad enough. But spam. Gross.

The spam thing may take a little longer to fix, and I apologize for that. I have to fix something at our server host level so they can't keep getting in, and I'm not quite sure how to do that, and my web guy doesn't work weekends. I'm working with the forum customer service folks and Rackspace customer service folks, but it may be a few days before I get it straightened out.

In the meantime, we're working super hard to get these posts off the board and flag these guys as spammers. If you see something, say something - we could use the help.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the trouble.

Melissa

Archived