Hot flashes

pam21e

I am officially starting the Whole 30 tomorrow but I have been following the Whole 30 guidelines for the past 4 days. I am having an increase in hot flashes. I am 52 and have hot flashes but very infrequently, but the last 2-3 days every few hours I feel like I am going to internally combust. This happens at home and at work and I will ask if anyone else is hot, and of course it is just me. Can this be because my body is utilizing the fat storage differently?

Has this happened to anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on day 11 of W30 and have been having this same issue.  However, the longer I am on the plan the less frequent the hot flashes have become.  I think it must be our bodies and hormones adjusting to the cleaner diet.  I am however, sleeping like a baby which I haven't done in about three years.  Overall I am feeling better, more energetic, less weighed down. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am on day 4. I feel I am having less hot flashes. It could be no wine (although I have stopped wine before with no decrease in hot flashes). I am hoping W30 will help. Mine tend to wax and wane in the amount and severity, so maybe I'm just in a lull right now. Of course losing some belly fat = less estrogen = less hormonal symptoms.

I just completed my first W-30 yesterday and I had the same problem the first couple of weeks on the plan.  The hot flashes gradually decreased and one day I realized I hadn't had one in several days.  I think that was around week 3 and the not flashes have been non-existent since.  I live in Texas and the average temp is 95-100 degrees now with about 95% humidity!  Continuing on my W-30 lifestyle.  Results were too great to go back now.  May reintroduce some red wine and treats on a limited basis.

• 1 year later...

I am on day 5 and I feel like I am melting.  Seems like I am getting the quicker and more severe, like every 20 minutes and I am soaked then chills from being soaked!! I am hoping they lessen.  They kept waking me up day 1-3, but finally slept.  Don't know if it was from Whole 30 or exhaustion.  

Murfeez, hang in there.  I'm on Day 13, and the night-time hot flashes (which used to wake me up at least a couple of times a night) are gone, and the daytime ones are less frequent, less severe, and shorter.  I'm very much hoping this is a trend that continues.

Yes my hot flashes started up again shortly after starting Whole30!  I'm 54, my hot flashes started around age 50 but finally dialed down to an infrequent basis maybe 6 months ago.  Now I'm on day 26 of my first W30 and unfortunately hot flashes have been crazy the last 3 weeks, especially in the evening and at night.  Sleep is anything but restful.  It's restless and fitful, waking up every hour with my skin on fire.  I'm being very careful to follow the Whole30 guidelines exactly.  I suppose it's hormones trying to balance but whoo boy I wish they would get their act together!

I had hot flashes the first week, then they died down. Now, at the end of the W30 my night sweats are back with a vengence. I am not sure why. I am hoping they will go away. I had been taking Vitamin E to help them and I may have to go back to trying that again.

I'm a 40 y/o who's been menopausal for 6 yrs now.  I thought I had the hot flashes in control even though the hormones weren't. I'm in the last week of the Whole30 and these darn hot flashes won't stop.  I'm a melting pot; non stop.  They started week nonstop in week 2.  I'm having as many as 20+ a day.  Will they even out?  Is this a sign to continue to Whole 45/60?

• 1 month later...

I haven't had hot flashes for years but am having them since Day 1.  Nothing horrible/long lasting.  Just weird.  More than one a day but not more than 3.  

Does anybody know why this happens?   

I've done 2 9 day bread & water fasts and never had a hot flash.  

I would love to know if this is a sign something GOOD is happening ;)

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older topic but I am 39 not menopausal and holy crap have I been getting hot flashes. I was helping my husband clean out the fridge and was soaked with sweat. He looked at me and asked why I was sweating like I had just ran a marathon!

Yep. My mum & sister were both peri from late 30s, and I'd say I'm peri now @ 45 - although it very much comes & goes, and I can't say I've been any worse through my whole30 (day 33). The night sweats are pretty much a permanent feature though...

Hot flashes have become nonexistent for me. Before Whole30, I took NOW brand Female balance. Started taking it years ago when I first noticed the hot flashes. If I ran out and didn't take it for a while the hot flashes came back. Don't remember how things went on my first whole30-60, but this time around, I quit taking the Female Balance because it isn't compliant, something in the capsule I think. Any way, I was surprised that I haven't had any hot flashes. Well, I think I might have had one somewhere in the 40-50 day range. Day 69 of a whole100 for me. Will see how things continue to unfold for this 50, almost 51 y/o.

• 6 months later...

I'm 55 and on day 5 of W30. I gave up alcohol three weeks prior so that was a win before I started. I'm already feeling less bloated but my hot flushes (you call them flashes) are continual. It's really hard in the middle of a meeting when I break out into a sweat and start to fan myself. Anyone have experience of how long they last? Months? Years. 

A great deal is changing in my life. Last child about to leave home, work contract finishing up in six months and incredibly stressful, drank far too much over the last 10 years so diet and exercise are two things I have complete control over, so the W30 is great. I just need to stick to it. 

Would love a buddy to connect with during this journey?

I just completed my first W-30 yesterday and I had the same problem the first couple of weeks on the plan.  The hot flashes gradually decreased and one day I realized I hadn't had one in several days.  I think that was around week 3 and the not flashes have been non-existent since.  I live in Texas and the average temp is 95-100 degrees now with about 95% humidity!  Continuing on my W-30 lifestyle.  Results were too great to go back now.  May reintroduce some red wine and treats on a limited basis.

That's great news Tina as my hot flushes are driving me mad. I live in north Queensland, Australia so similar temperatures and humidity which doesn't help when you already feel you have a furnace on the inside. 

Archived