Violent stomach aches multiple times

Riana J

Violent isn't really a word I'd use to describe a stomach ache normally, but in this case, it makes the most sense. It literally felt like I was trying to digest poison.

This has happened about 4 times since my reintroduction a few weeks ago. First time after drinking wine (rose, to be exact). Second time, after a BBQ Saturday night (which I did pretty well at until dessert, I have a crazy sweet tooth). I had some cookies and brownies and 3 arnold palmer w Absolut Citron slushies (delish). The night before though (Friday), I had some wine and a vodka soda and some other sweets, and did not suffer at all the next day. Thinking the reaction I had was maybe delayed from Friday night? Or maybe the sugar? I don't really think sugar would cause stomach aches, makes more sense that alcohol would, but who knows?

Basically my question is, how do I know which types of alcohol are affecting me? After the rose night, I ruled out rose, but Friday night I drank white wine and then a vodka soda (this was the night without a stomach ache) so I am not really sure. I know the sweets are bad-- I really try to limit them, they are my biggest weakness. I can say no to everything else-- cheese, bread, pasta, milk, etc., but I do like to treat myself. Probably went a little overboard this weekend so I plan on taking a break from sweets for a while and trying to just indulge on ONE cookie rather than 4, but I have a friend's bachelorette party this weekend so I am wondering about the alcohol. Don't know if abstaining is my only option but I'm curious about other peoples' reactions.

It could be the combination of alcohol and sugar over-indulgence, but I really don't have much of a basis for that suggestion.  I've had mild stomach aches after indulging in sugar.  I tried wine post-W30, and it was like an instant migraine (from one glass!).  I've done ok with having one vodka drink, but I've only tried that a couple of times.

I think the only way you can know is eat clean and then on the weekend have ONLY one type of drink.....so if its wine you only have wine....if you combine too many 'treats' you will never know the culprit. But if you feel good, then you can probably do wine on a moderate basis. And then test from there a few weeks later.

I do get very gassy bloated from sugar....alcohol is sugar.....so I stay away.... :(

Thanks for weighing in! I'm a little worried... I have been experimenting the past few days and even when I eat clean, I am still getting these horrible stomach aches :( I feel like Whole30 ruined my stomach!

I haven't made it through a Whole30 yet, but I have been gluten-free for almost a year, and over Christmas I over-indulged in standard pastries. I thought I was going to die, it made me so sick, and it took a long time for it to work its way out of my system. 

I don't think the Whole30 ruined your system <g>. I think it's working the way it's supposed to now. :)

Archived