so ive pretty much completed my whole 60. im still experiencing acne like crazy! im also noticing my hair falling out more than usual. I have symptoms of pcos. im just wondering if anyone has done the autoimmune protocol and if it has helped with either acne or hair loss. I am eating enough. I lift weights about 4 times a week to gain weight, which I have been! I eat the whole 30 meal template four to five times a day, depending on if im still hungry. However, I still have acne and hair loss has gotten worse! Has anyone tried the autoimmune protocol for this and had any success with it? im losing hope:/

• Moderators

Yes and yes. Sweet potatoes are fine. For some people dropping eggs really helps with acne. For me, cutting nightshades especially has helped.

But balancing hormones will likely require more than dietary changes, though they can help support any supplementation/medication you end up with. Remember that it STARTS with food. I would strongly recommend you have your hormone levels tested to see if PCOS is real for you. I've been working with a functional medicine doctor and there has been way more to work on than I ever thought. It's a long but worthwhile process.

Don't lose hope, but know that food alone likely won't heal you and that it takes patience, persistence, and the right guidance.

BTW: my hair loss has stopped, regrowth begun, and my acne is clearing significantly. There IS hope!

• Moderators

I've opted to go the alternative medicine route with the FMD. I take supplements, none of which are hormones, and she does some manual stimulation to help balance my systems. I've learned so much about how complex the body is and how the various systems work with each other.

I am hypothyroid since my thyroid was obliterated by radiation in 1995, so I do take levoxyl daily. I also use a topical benzoyl peroxide/antifungal cream from the dermatologist at night. But those are the only mainstream pharmaceuticals I use. My FMD is in support of that. It's meant the world to me to find a health care practitioner whom I trust. I've spent much of my life being bounced from MD to MD who never took me or my concerns seriously. TO have someone who can really manage my care with knowledge, wisdom, and compassion is truly wonderful. She also is totally in support of W30 as a part of my healing.

Good luck finding the right guidance. It's not easy and it's not cheap, but it can change your body for the better and therefore your life!

I was just looking into it, and I'm wondering if its because of the evening Primrose oil I have been taking. I started taking it maybe 5 months ago for acne. 3000 mg a day. never once did it help with acne, but I did feel cruddy when I missed a day on it once, so I stayed on it. maybe I should lower the dosage or cut it out completely. I also read that people with hormonal imbalances shouldn't be taking this! I will be scheduling a check up asap either way!

If your hairloss is worse, you may want to get a blood test, you might be deficient in something, like B12.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure primrose oil is high in Omega 6 (same as seed oils - it is a seed oil) so it might not be helping you feel better. It can also clash with some medicines, so make sure your doctor knows you're taking it.

• Moderators

I'd be really careful with taking supplements wily nily and without guidance. We sometimes forget that they are powerful drugs--for better, and often for worse.

Archived