Struggling to Find Sustainability Post Whole 30

I feel like the odd man out a little bit. Yes, I did lose weight on my Whole 30 that ended last week--9.5 lbs after a prior 12 lbs after a month of general mostly paleo prior, but what was really hard as I tried to complete a good science experiment on myself in reintroduction was that I didn't take my time; however, I have learned that I have no crazy bad symptoms after trying out dairy--maybe a little tummy ache, but I'm not even sure--, gluten foods, some sugar, and even corn chips.

In a way, I wanted my stomach to explode or my eyes to bleed or something definitive because as I said, I can't consider myself a rousing success: I'm still at least 30 pounds overweight, my sinusitis and asthma didn't improve over the course of my two months without bad foods, and I don't really like real food. Gasp! I hate to be a negative Nelly, but I am in my 40s and have been eating some wonderfully bad stuff for most of thirty years. I did the work. I got some results, but I don't feel so much better or that the weight loss results were essentially different from what two really clean Weight Watchers months would have netted me.

On the plus side, I do believe that processed foods, most dairy and grains, and maybe even legumes are not particularly healthy for people, and I know that added sugar is bad news, but I have been floundering these last few days of muddled reintroduction, trying to figure out my approach. Can I really live this way for the long-term? Well, mostly? I'm not sure. Honestly.

I have to find what makes it sustainable for me personally, I guess. It was actually easier for me to just think of myself as being in food rehab for a couple of months, treating an addiction like heroin with nutritional methadone--food that was just fuel, not fun. I knew I could do it for the short term, but now I am looking at what I am eating and not eating, and I'm not sure I can find the right place from which I can eat some for health, some for enjoyment, and manage to lean out at the same time.

I just haven't sees people admitting to this kind of turmoil on the forum. I don't want to undo the good I have done while I am figuring out how to go forward. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

You're not alone. I am committed to this way of eating long term (started in Jan), but I'm still struggling with how much wiggle room to allow myself. I don't enjoy dairy products as much as I used to, but all the other crap still tastes GREAT to me...no refined W30 taste buds here. I'm used to all the cooking and prep work, and I like the food I'm eating. But I still want pizza, and burgers and fries, and ice cream, and Oreos. Pretty regularly. I wish I could flip a switch and not care about those foods anymore. I was also wishing for some traumatic reintro experiences ("OMG I was sooooo sick I can never eat jelly beans again!!!) but nope. Nothing I can't put up with when I really want that junk food. It's a process for sure. I know the longer I stay away from those foods the easier it gets, but it's just very hard to stay away...and I don't want to think about giving them up forever. I wish I had some advice for you! If I didn't even like the "good" food I was eating, I would definitely have more issues staying on track.

My reasons for doing a W30 might have been a little different (I'm trying to treat a medical condition that isn't on the list of things the W30 helps), and my results have been as well.  I was a prolific baker and candy maker, and my desire for these foods disappeared within a few days of my first W30 on May 1.  My medical condition? Well...it's hard to tell.  I think it's a little better, and certainly no worse, which is an improvement. I committed to this way of eating for the long term because I'm 54 and it's time to start feeding my body what's good for it, whether or not those things appeal to me.  For the stuff that's really good for me but I don't like, I plead for help from others on the forum and they give me ways of doctoring up foods so that I like them.  Crazy! Would I rather be eating chocolate chip cookies for dinner like I used to? No way. They may have tasted better but the emotional baggage wasn't worth the thrill of a warm cookie out of the oven. The peace I feel now is non-negotiable. 

I hope you find a balance that works for you.

Thanks for the frank thoughts, you all. I was beginning to think I was a minority of one in terms of NOT arising from the ashes of my food-troubled past after a couple of months of clean eating. I guess I can't expect those decades of the yo-yo to be washed clean in so short a time?

Last night was a perfect example. I browned some grass-fed beef to make tacos for my teenagers, planning to make a taco salad for myself, but even after a clean breakfast and lunch, I rationalized that I hadn't REALLY done a corn reintroduction and served myself a couple of tacos as well. That blurring of the line was enough to send me into the mine field of dessert, so now instead of 12 good days on the calendar to stay compliant and see how I feel and do, I'm down to 11.

@aellison: I, too, am thinking I need to renew my vows, check myself bad into food rehab and do another Whole 30. I saw someone posted that she schedules her three or so per year to follow treats she allows herself. Such discipline. Admirable, but tough. Not sure if I am cut out to be a food aesthete. Let me know what you decide to do.

@ldmd: I should, as you say, realize that the peace I have when my food choices are mostly buttoned down is a sort of freedom cloaked in shackles, but there's just a part of me concerning food that just isn't rational. I suppose if I were, I wouldn't have struggled with obesity all these years. I appreciate your wish for balance, and if I can remember this is a marathon, not a sprint, perhaps I can do better. I admire your mindset.

@JJB: No refined taste buds here either, for sure. When I had pizza after my Whole 30, my mouth was dancing with joy. Treats on rare occasions without guilt would be perfect, but how rare? I know the guide to off road eating gives me questions to ask myself about whether it's worth it. Maybe my addict metaphor really does apply, and I can only do one day, one meal at a time and try to make the right choices without devolving into a spoiled little girl, pouting over what's not FAIR! 

I struggle as well.  Last night I had some fantastic taco seasoned venison, spinach, and quac on my plate and there was the bag of corn chips my husband brought home.  I added those to my plate then ate two pieces of carrot cake (grain free but still not good for you) when I was done with dinner.  What is silly is that I'm fustrated that I'm at a workshop all week with a coworker and she wants to eat out at lunch and I just want to pack my lunch and there is some serious peer pressure to eat crap.  Even driving.  That used to be my life it is not anymore.  So I stuck to my guns and ate well all day and then I go home and tuck into my emotional eating habits?   

As for feeling better, I think it takes awhile sometimes.  I started eating "paleoish"  not knowing that it was even paleoish after reading Wheat Belly last year.  When I wanted some pizza I just ate some.  But after a longer period of time going without I realized what it did to me and I didn't like it.  I will not touch pizza again.  I am realizing similar things now after reintroducing sugar to my diet.  It makes me crash hard, gives me anxiety, and makes me an emotional mess but I still keep letting it slip into my life.  

I plan to get through the summer really focusing on eating balanced meals and limiting my snacks.  I will plan another whole30 in September when I have a more regular schedule. 

I'm re-reading ISWF. Part 2 is the good food standards. I think that it really gets to the heart of why we are doing this. If you read nothing else go back and read the chapter on Your Brain on Food. It might help you with the mind games.

I just finished my first W30 and I'm struggling as well, though differently. I don't crave or particularly want "bad" foods, but I am really tired of NEEDING protein for breakfast or 8 hours of sleep or the other things I've gotten used to in the past few weeks. Now I can barely function on six hours of sleep which I used to do regularly. If I'm too tired/hot/busy for breakfast, I'm a grumpy mess all day when I used to skip it without a blink. So it's not that I think that going back to eating bad foods would be good for me, but that the 'healthy lifestyle' has made me an utter mess when I simply can't physically do it all the time. So in truth with all the stress of figuring out how to buy and prepare all that food and still live the rest of my life, I was in a terrible mood for almost all of the whole30 and I haven't felt much better since. :-/

As for feeling better, I think it takes awhile sometimes.  I started eating "paleoish"  not knowing that it was even paleoish after reading Wheat Belly last year.  When I wanted some pizza I just ate some.  But after a longer period of time going without I realized what it did to me and I didn't like it.  I will not touch pizza again.  I am realizing similar things now after reintroducing sugar to my diet.  It makes me crash hard, gives me anxiety, and makes me an emotional mess but I still keep letting it slip into my life.  

I have found that when I have a pizza itch, scratching it with the Deconstructed Pizza recipe from ISWF gives me some of the flavors that remind me of pizza.  No melty cheese or dough but it does say "Pizza!" when I dig in.

For many of us, a little relaxation of the rules is all it takes to move into a long-term comfortable lifestyle.  For many others, a little leeway becomes a runaway train of less-good food choices.  As you try to figure out whether you are one of these types, it can be tricky to trust yourself -- even if you know, it can be tricky.  For my part, I know I have many food without breaks and that I was really happy during my W30 with my not-obsessed-with-cheating feelings.  Now, I want badly want to cheat in small ways, which I think for me is next-door to cheating in big ways, and I am struggling.  Especially since my re-introductions, like yours, did not result in catastrophic never-again sorts of reactions.

I think that a wholistic approach to the postW30 period can be a good one, by which I mean, factoring in the total picture of your life, not just (for example) your eating and your weight.  What really matters to you?  And what is the way for you to be in the world (food, exercise, sleep, play, relationships, work, the Whole9 [sic]) that best serves those goals.  We cannot be perfect, but we can be honest with ourselves about our priorities and try to be faithful to them. 

And on a more practical note..... do you know about the F*** Off list?  This is the idea that there are some foods we eat because we know they are so healthy for us that we do it even if we don't like them.  And then there are some foods that we love so much that we eat them even though we know they are not healthy.  The idea, I think, is that we are not striving to be automata who always follow the rules, but people who live the best, fullest lives we can.  But it's also key to think hard about your list so that you don't end up with 50 everyday treats but with two or three or four truly exceptional ones.   http://whole9life.com/2010/12/the-healthy-f-off-scale-version-2-0/

Just to share: I finished a very successful whole30 12 days ago. I lost about 8 pounds (and I wasn't big to begin with, just gained extra 8 pounds in the last six months for the first time in years), but more importantly, after the initial carb flu, I felt great! Mostly gone was bloating after every single meal and other tummy issues. And gone was my permanent fatigue and sleepiness, especially after meals. I hadn't expected it would help me with this issue, and it did immensely help. I no longer fell asleep after eating, no longer fell asleep right after opening a book at any time of day. So it was a huge success.

I started a fairly precise reintro and I know dairy gives me only little reaction so I can have it occasionally. Sugar probably causes bloating and tantrums. Gluten made me feel so bad after a night - it's evil. It made me feel so bad that other grain reintroduction was blurred. And I couldn't really continue with that because I went away for a few days to visit someone (airports, restaurants, beer, etc.). So I just indulged, reluctantly at first, but then had anything I wanted (although no excess). Now, after 12 days since the end of whole30, I got about 5 pounds back, I have all my troubles back, including utter fatigue, dizziness, pains. So I guess I should just go back happily to keeping with the plan as best I can as often as I can. I guess I just need some reassuring it's worth it because it's a lot of work, it's expensive and requires so much focus, while limiting social eating. We have a great cantine at the university, my partner eats there and seems to feel a lot better with his IBS there than with the whole30 diet (and if it seems to work for him, we don't  want to change anything as long as it keeps him feel good), and it actually seems more budget friendly (however unlikely that sounds) so I went there today. They have fairly good food, they have gluten-free options and list which food contains wheat, soy, milk, etc., but if I wanted to stay compliant, I'd have to stick with the self-compiled salad with chicken. So I guess what I shall end up doing is cater for myself at home and he will eat out. But, of course, that sort of takes away all that quality eating time together. So it makes me sad. Maybe I should think about "off-roading" in the cantine every other day or something? I suppose I should also focus on planning more, so cooking takes up less of my time and less of my money.

That's an amazing weight loss, particularly since you don't really carry extra weight, and it sounds as if you really enjoyed an energy boost, so I can see that those are rewards you would like to carry forward post Whole30. I guess now if the point at which we continue to experiment on ourselves about how to get more (sustained results) with less time, money, and compliance. Could be tough.

Like you, I have already lost some ground that I gained--or would that be gained what I lost?--on the Whole30. About three of those 9.5 pounds are currently unwanted houseguests from my super-flawed reintroduction. With my continued need for weight loss and my belief that the KIND of food we eat does matter, more than, say, in a WW type program of points or in calorie counting, I think I need to "re-up" with paleo eating with just a few f-off contingencies, such as my teaspoon of sugar in my coffee and a bit of dark chocolate most days, and a carefully selected handful of off-road choices each week, ones that have me sharing the table and experiences with my family. As you say, that, too, is important.

I suppose I should go back to staying off the scale, too, but I want to make sure that I can kick those regained pounds out of the house, and clean out some more from the attic, or hmm, basement, in my case. Big hips and things, you know. All or nothing is how Whole30 works, but most people can't be that hardcore for the long term, I assume, so the question is: how much can you indulge and still enjoy the lack of pain, dizziness, and fatigue that made your experience a success.

Another question I have is this: Can I have those indulgences that I think help me maintain my sanity without slipping into the "What the hell--" flipside of the all or nothing. If I have that sugar and chocolate, will I be satisfied with that, or will it just roll out the welcome mat. So far, in reintroduction, I have found many foods without brakes for me. Not a surprise. Always, this has been a problem with food for me: we must eat, so it's not an option to go "cold turkey." Strict paleo or Whole30 is the closest I can get to food rehab, particularly since my enjoyment of real food is so, well. slight. My pleasure synapses stay dark and dormant while I fuel the machine.

If I learn that I can't have really even a little food pleasure, it's back to all or nothing, I suppose, at least for extended periods of time..

This string was perfect for me to read today. I went out last night and sampled 3 items I should not have. GI was not the best this morning but I can see that once I loosen up I will role out the welcome mat and that is not at all where I want to be! I feel so much better eating from the meal template and not straying. We have a birthday party, wedding, another birthday party and a celebration in the next week. I do know there are some non-compliant foods I might try but I have to decide which are worth it and at what price. For instance, at the wedding, the dinner is lasagna. I believe I can eat around the noodles but skip the cake. I can have cake anytime I want - my mother in law is a cake decorator!! When I can't bring my own food I have to make the best choices for me. Of course, I'll probably head out the door after having something with fat to try and curb any hunger as much as possible.

I do know I'm staying off the scale until next month. I worked way to hard to spiral with scale shame.

I have been 99.9% compliant since early April. I didn't look at it as "just 30 days" especially after the first 3 weeks when I got in a groove with cooking etc.  I went "off" one afternoon earlier this month and got nothing out of it so I just picked up where I left off the next morning.

I look at it  like this-a crack addict doesn't work in moderation. "Just a little bit" doesn't work with alcoholics. So I focus every day on the benefits of eating clean and how it is helping me, finally, to get a grip on food addiction, binge/purge and all that crap. I added exercise addiction to  the eating thing for the last 5-7 years training for ironman races so I could cont to eat.

Recently, I had to scale back the training due to some degeneration in my joints(there is a shock) so I tried this plan and haven't looked back. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I wish I had found this 10 years ago but I am here now.

To your point-I always look at fun food and want it, of course. I tended to resent all the time I spent cooking and the extra money. I take all my lunches to work and I make sure I invest time every single day that is with "ME" in mind. I know if I went back to the way of eating I did before, I would just fall into a black hole. I intend to eat a treat now and then-just one that is worthy. I have added back a half glass of wine 3 times a week and that is about it.

I am almost 55 and tired of struggling with every diet-WW, Jenny, Atkins, all of it. I did well on those(up and down) but never got a grip on the cravings that always haunted me. What I have found with this plan that when I take the time to cook, plan, touch real food....smell the smells of a nourishing meal that I am making for myself because I am worth the time and effort, that that alone can fill the emptiness I have been trying to fill all along.

When people ask me what I'm doing and I begin to explain, I can see the look of "I'd never be able to do that" in their eyes most times. I tend to remind them (and maybe myself) that it's not for everyone. For me, there are improvements that I didn't think possible. It wasn't magic and I sure never thought I'd do anything like this! If my doctor hadn't suggested it, I'd still be struggling with lowering my blood sugar. 

We all have our reasons for doing our Whole30. I suggest you not beat yourself up and take what you've learned and apply it to your personal life. You mentioned that legumes are not good for us. I found that they raised my blood sugar way outside the realm of normal. They were good, but I don't think it's worth it. I think in It Starts With Food, they call it riding your own bicycle.

For two months at the beginning of the year, I ate "paleo + dairy" it was basically like a whole30 only with dairy. I didn't eat out, I used only compliant foods, no deserts, no "paleoized" junk foods. Then I got really sick with a virus that presented with chicken pox like symptoms. it got into my knees and made them swell up so I couldn't walk or stand to make myself food, so I had to rely on what my family made, which was not paleo at all. Right after that, I went back to school and started clinicals where I was basically working as an intern doing 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, plus going to school on mondays. I let the sugar dragon back in, plus ate other junk food, burgers, pizza, nachos, rice and beans, tacos, ice cream, baked goods, etc. It all tasted fine, sugar is the biggest weakness for me, but I would always have carb hangovers after I ate a carb-heavy meal, like alot of chips or nachos, or lots of sugar. I would feel bloated and tired the next day and my nose would be really stuffy.

While I never had any severe sudden and specific reactions to gluten, other grains, PUFA's, or legumes that I could tell, I did have more anxiety than usual including heart palpitations and chest pain, random muscle twitches from a magnesium deficiencey (off and on all day), random abdominal pain and muscle pain elsewhere in my body, and just generally tired, bloated, and less able to effectively deal with stress.

Since I've been doing my whole30 (today is day 8) and taking a magnesium supplement regularly, the muscle twitches are gone, the abdominal pain is gone, I haven't had any chest pain and no heart palpitations for a few days now, and no bloating. Today I finally got the energy I've been waiting for too.

To me, it's worth the way I feel to give up things that are less healthy. I don't miss pasta or bread, I don't miss tortillas or rice and beans, about the only things I miss is sugary junk like cake and ice cream, and dairy products (omg, cheeeese) and if I reintroduce those things and find out that I don't have any horrible reactions to gluten, dairy, or other grains, then I can have them once in a while.

Also, I was getting really dissapointed with food right before I decided to do a whole30. I was still trying to eat mostly paleo, but was going out to eat with friends and having mexican or burgers, or getting ice cream alot, putting cheese on things, etc. Then I started going to the farmer's market on saturday mornings and got totally re-energized and excited about food again. I love finding fresh organic ingredients and then going home and making meal plans around them, finding exciting new recipes to try. 

I do understand about not being able to consume those trigger foods in moderation. Sugar and carbs are literally addictive. Saw a thing on the news today where they found that sugar and carbs stimulate the addiction center of the brain same as heroine and cocaine do. It's easier to go cold turkey and just say that you can't have any ever than it is to say "Well, maybe just once in a while" because then once in a while becomes every week, becomes every day. Still though, if it's a special occasion, I will probably still indulge in some paleo-ized deserts.

I did my first Whole 30 back in October and am 7 days into a new one. I'm already worried about what will happen on Day 31. I too, am an 'all or nothing' person - doing Whole 30 is actually easier than making day to day decisions about when to off-road. I plan to stay 90% compliant but also want to enjoy a drink with friends, eat special meals on special occasions, etc. I know this is my true challenge and has been all my life.

The question is - I can't figure out what 90% compliant is! I'm either on plan or I'm like a bunch of monkeys who just got out of a cage, running around eating and drinking everything in sight. It doesn't help that my husband is the same way and that's how we are used to connecting - splurging and eating a bunch of fantastic food and drinking a lot. 

I'd really like to have alcohol be a part of my life post 30 - my husband is in the wine industry and a lot of our social events are focused around fine food and wine. I miss the relaxing effects of it after a long day at work as well as the calming of my racing thoughts all of the time.

I'm pretty sure I'd be better off with a set of 'rules' around my 90% so I could feel comfortable knowing I'm on the plan I've chosen. Otherwise when I off-road I tend to think 'oh what the hell, I'll just eat like crap for the rest of the weekend' and then feel like a failure, which does not make me want to go back on plan.

I'm curious as to other's 'rules' they set up for themselves that are working for them? i.e. alcohol only on weekends or special social events, and then only 2? To come up with 90% do you take the 21 meals you normally have x.90 which would make 2.1 'cheat meals'?

If so, what constitutes a cheat meal? Does that tend to make you want to eat as much as possible during that 'meal'? 

Well Starmice, these are all the issues I have had to struggle with for 5+ decades. I have been that 99% compliant since April because I like the way I feel and I feel in control. My goals are to enjoy whatever part of a meal, item, thing that is worth it to me(probably won't be a whole meal free for all). I do have a half glass of wine 2-3 times a week and that is my 1% consisitant thing off road. I think all your questions are good in that we are all here to get control of our food relationships and if you are one of the lucky ones who can partake and still have some control(no guilt) then FABULOUS! Maybe you can show control by eating and drinking in modest quantities for items that are worth it instead of all weekend(I have done that all the time, all the time-the "I'll start on Monday" routine.

All or none is not healthy over the long term-I guess that is why they want you to do only 30 days and test drive. I need more structure and control as carbs are "crack" for me and I still have to develop trust in myself and eat "just one"-work in progress!

Good luck!

Let's see, my rules are the following:

1. Gluten free. This is not negotiable, although sometimes I do have to order a sandwich and take it off of the bun/bread. And my hubby has FINALLY accepted it. Thank you!!!

2. Veggies and fruit at every meal. Starchy or non, it doesn't matter. Potatoes have been allowed back in, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this for breakfast since I'm eating at the place provided by my work (hello, potatoes and nothing else gluten/grain-free!). Even if it's just toppings on a GF pizza (artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes!). If it comes down to it, potato chips or fries CAN count in an emergency.

3. Dairy is okay, but at no more than 2 times per day (some exceptions are allowed, but then reduce the amount the next day; today I had a slice of American cheese at lunch on my bunless burger, a few chunks of Colby Jack with cherries as a mini-meal due to the rest of my lunch being...sub-par, and I will have leftover GF pizza at dinner...so tomorrow, I only get one dairy). I treat it as a partial protein, partial fat. 

4. Legumes are okay a few times a week (no more than 3-4). I've had 2 so far in the last week.

5. Sugar is allowed, but I try to be smarter than I used to about it. I don't stress about the sugar in, say, ketchup or bacon anymore (as long as it is NOT HFCS), but I limit desserts, if I have them, to once a day. And a normal portion. I remade my MIL's recipe for cranberry date bars to use 2 tbsp of honey and 1/4 cup sugar. They're still delicious, although not quite right YET, but they're better than 1.5 cups of brown sugar. 

6. Alcohol is something that I have with other people, never alone. Generally, hubby and I only have it when we have people over or are at someone else's house. 

7. Other grains...used sparingly. GF grains don't bother me, per se, but I don't usually have them unless it's a special occasion. The pizza we made last night was because we're moving and trying to use stuff up (friend gave me the GF crust mix and I can't ship it back to the US). If we make chili or something I might make GF corn muffins, but I don't necessarily LIKE them. I miss cornbread like my mom made, but I have never duplicated it and don't necessarily want to. I have had corn chips to eat fresh homemade pico or a friend's taco dip, but I can count the number of times I've had those on both my hands. I eat rice in sushi, but nowhere else. I've had a thing against rice for a while, though (don't ask...long, strange story). It always had to be smothered in sauce to touch it before. 

8. No MSG. Or yeast extract (essentially MSG; yeast contains glutamaic acid, and the yeast extract means they've extracted that and used it instead of just putting in the yeast or MSG). If it's just yeast (non-extracted), then whatever. MSG gave me a hangover the last time I had it (hooray, catered Chinese food!). My coworkers were convinced that I'd been partying the night before, except that I didn't smell of booze. The headache/light sensitivity was so bad I tried wearing sunglasses in my office until my boss said I couldn't. It passed by about mid-day, but never again. I'd been MSG free for a while before that, though, so perhaps not having had it for years prior to caused it to be worse?

That is in keeping with the results of my reintroduction. I had no reaction to dairy that I could tell other than a little bit of sinus drainage for an hour or so. I had a reaction to gluten, so I don't eat it. No reaction to non-gluten grains except that I don't digest, and therefore don't eat, whole corn kernels. If it's ground, no big deal. No legume problems that I noticed.

In a subsequent Whole30 I might discover more sensitivities and need to change my rules. Until then, those are the rules that I try to follow.

Let's see, my rules are the following:

1. Gluten free. This is not negotiable, although sometimes I do have to order a sandwich and take it off of the bun/bread. And my hubby has FINALLY accepted it. Thank you!!!

2. Veggies and fruit at every meal. Starchy or non, it doesn't matter. Potatoes have been allowed back in, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this for breakfast since I'm eating at the place provided by my work (hello, potatoes and nothing else gluten/grain-free!). Even if it's just toppings on a GF pizza (artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes!). If it comes down to it, potato chips or fries CAN count in an emergency.

3. Dairy is okay, but at no more than 2 times per day (some exceptions are allowed, but then reduce the amount the next day; today I had a slice of American cheese at lunch on my bunless burger, a few chunks of Colby Jack with cherries as a mini-meal due to the rest of my lunch being...sub-par, and I will have leftover GF pizza at dinner...so tomorrow, I only get one dairy). I treat it as a partial protein, partial fat. 

4. Legumes are okay a few times a week (no more than 3-4). I've had 2 so far in the last week.

5. Sugar is allowed, but I try to be smarter than I used to about it. I don't stress about the sugar in, say, ketchup or bacon anymore (as long as it is NOT HFCS), but I limit desserts, if I have them, to once a day. And a normal portion. I remade my MIL's recipe for cranberry date bars to use 2 tbsp of honey and 1/4 cup sugar. They're still delicious, although not quite right YET, but they're better than 1.5 cups of brown sugar. 

6. Alcohol is something that I have with other people, never alone. Generally, hubby and I only have it when we have people over or are at someone else's house. 

7. Other grains...used sparingly. GF grains don't bother me, per se, but I don't usually have them unless it's a special occasion. The pizza we made last night was because we're moving and trying to use stuff up (friend gave me the GF crust mix and I can't ship it back to the US). If we make chili or something I might make GF corn muffins, but I don't necessarily LIKE them. I miss cornbread like my mom made, but I have never duplicated it and don't necessarily want to. I have had corn chips to eat fresh homemade pico or a friend's taco dip, but I can count the number of times I've had those on both my hands. I eat rice in sushi, but nowhere else. I've had a thing against rice for a while, though (don't ask...long, strange story). It always had to be smothered in sauce to touch it before. 

8. No MSG. Or yeast extract (essentially MSG; yeast contains glutamaic acid, and the yeast extract means they've extracted that and used it instead of just putting in the yeast or MSG). If it's just yeast (non-extracted), then whatever. MSG gave me a hangover the last time I had it (hooray, catered Chinese food!). My coworkers were convinced that I'd been partying the night before, except that I didn't smell of booze. The headache/light sensitivity was so bad I tried wearing sunglasses in my office until my boss said I couldn't. It passed by about mid-day, but never again. I'd been MSG free for a while before that, though, so perhaps not having had it for years prior to caused it to be worse?

That is in keeping with the results of my reintroduction. I had no reaction to dairy that I could tell other than a little bit of sinus drainage for an hour or so. I had a reaction to gluten, so I don't eat it. No reaction to non-gluten grains except that I don't digest, and therefore don't eat, whole corn kernels. If it's ground, no big deal. No legume problems that I noticed.

In a subsequent Whole30 I might discover more sensitivities and need to change my rules. Until then, those are the rules that I try to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@MrsStick: I like your rules, especially the veggies with every meal guideline, and I think that's ultimately what I will have to do: Create regular, sustainable rules for being mostly compliant. Now I just need to figure out what rules I can establish for slow, steady weight loss--since this sort of eating hasn't revealed any sorts of food cause me specific health problems.

I know I want my sugar in morning coffee, but I am down to one big mug, rather than 2-3 of those. I don't think that's enough to trigger a complete collapse of willpower! Heavy cream there and some grass-fed butter on veggies sometimes, but otherwise little dairy.

I haven't tried gluten free bread, but again if weight loss is the goal, it sounds as if carbs under 100 a day really helps with that, so bread of any kind should be limited to my treats, like that weekly pizza night. That one is pretty important to me. Beans are pretty carb-y, too, and I don't generally love them so much that I would take them as a treat over my usual suspects.

I also would like a little chocolate or something sweet like a Larabar most days. Probably not both. :) I will need to limit fruit if I am allowing that coffee sugar and a small sweet treat daily. 

So now on with the great experiment that is my eating, diet, and exercise. I would love to apply what I've learned about eating real food to my future weight-loss efforts if I can just buckle down and find a place that works between all and nothing.

I have completed two Whole30s. My first was last Nov of 2012 and second was in March of 2013. The process of completing these Whole30s were very different and may answer a few questions for you all.

The first Whole30, I ate as many as 6-8 cups of vegetables daily. I ate a large variety of vegetables...even veggies I did not particularly like. I ate vegetables I never even heard of or tried before. I ate very little fruit, two servings or less a day. I made myself exercise regularly--5-6 times weekly. I was totally complaint with my diet!! By week 2, I had clear skin and tremendous energy. I was experiencing that "wow" feeling!! Foods I didn't like so much were tasting better. I still wanted bad foods that are good to the taste buds, but had the willpower to just say no! I fell off the wagon when reintroducing the omitted food products. WHAT A MISTAKE!! I had to start all over again. (I say who cares what foods do what...they cause the leaky gut! Once you complete that many days, you have the willpower to say no, but when you start eating those foods again, it is hard to get back on track. That was the issue for me and it took several months to finally find the will to do so!!)

During my second Whole30, I decided to go easy on myself and eat only the whole foods that were my favorite. I ate about the same amount of vegetables as I did fruit. I did not have the variety. I did not eat squash, eggplant, parsnips, ect. Just may favorites such as sweet potato, lettuce salads, onion, peppers, tomatoes, spinach. I also did less exercise, 1-3 times weekly. I felt I had a little more energy, but not much. My taste buds did not change. I did not have that "wow" feeling.

I believe the most important factor in that "wow" feeling is incorporating enough vegetables (of variety) into your diet!!! I truly believe that is the secret!!

I started another whole30 July 1 of this year and crashed and burned. I starting over again tomorrow, July 5. It is tough getting started. Once I get through two weeks, I never want to fall off the wagon again!!

enjoyed reading about rules. Last night I told my husband that, for my sanity & clothes, I need to just cut out wheat and sugar. I was eating taco shells, chips, ice cream, gelato etc. THIS WEEKEND. Once I let them in it was like opening my arms and giving the not so good foods a big welcome. I honestly do not need them. I did a Whole37 without any issues. I am not cutting out dairy because we do cook with grassfed butter. Legumes aren't an issue for me because I very rarely eat them. They just aren't as tempting as a bowl of ice cream...

hi there -

very much empathizing with this thread. it's been so challenging to figure out how to make this sustainable!

i too am looking to maintain most of the weight loss i saw on my whole 30 and possibly even go lower (still quite comfortably within a healthy weight rage). I think keeping the grains out and limiting the dense carbs (sweet potatoes and plantains) to once every few days will help. Alcohol is back in my life but maybe only 3-4 days a week, which is far less than my usual daily 2x/day glasses of wine. Have also brought back dairy at approx one meal/day and in my coffee.

To me it feels like there is a whole extra month of the Whole 30 that's just about finding balance, learning how to just make choices and accept them and course correct as needed rather than having it all be wrapped up in fear and shame, etc. Allowing yourself time to learn what things you want back, what fills you and what doesn't. This morning I made an old favorite breakfast, a chia seed pudding with banana and almond milk. I had some zucchini and tomatoes on the side. Was hungry an hour later, so had a chicken meatball. Had a nice big lunch that was totally compliant, and found myself hungry and snacking on a Larabar three hours later. And it freaks me out a bit - I know my snacking can be compulsive and I would really like to not to do it - which I was mostly successful with on W30. Trying to relax about it all - it's ok, my breakfast just did not suffice today, and I will have a more substantive standard W30 breakfast tomorrow. And these are not unhealthy foods. It's ok.

So yes, all of that to say yes it's hard for many of us, maybe allowing this to be the post w30 "figuring it out" month will help?

Great thread! I did what turned out to be a W28 in June. Camping vacation started then and I decided to cut myself a break. Lost 11 pounds and felt pretty darn good. I knew I wasn't going to be a stickler during July, but I'm trying to stick to W30 foods with only the occasional treat; e.g., a sip of my son's Diet Coke. I am definitely one of those folks who finds it easier to just stick to it than say, "Oh, I'll just have one Rice Krispies bar." What I'm not doing is obsessing over the template. Fortunately I've not really been inclined to snacking and I don't overdo the fruit. If anything, I worry that I'm not eating enough.

That said, I do plan on doing a W30 in September. I will be away from the family, in another country, for the entire month so I have complete control over my shopping, what's in the fridge/cupboards, etc. And, even better, I just got off the phone with a friend who is interested in trying it out. So, we're going to team up for a September W30. I will be REALLY hard for her as she LOVES to cook and bake and drink wine. But, we'll give it a go. I'm actually looking forward to it! In the interim I have a long weekend in Boston, my mother visiting for three weeks, and a six day road trip back to work to get through. But, as long as I don't start with the "Oh, I'll just have one..." I think I'll be fine.

Sustainability is key.

Wow, this has been a wonderful thread to read. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in struggling to identify and stick to my own boundaries post whole30.

I started my first whole30 in February and only made it about half way as I ended up getting sick with the flu and a sinus infection. I haven't been that sick in a LONG time and it was horrible. I tried to make it work but ended up reintroducing oats, then rice, then ....... soon I was totally off road. For a few months I guiltily ate mostly what I wanted (knowing better makes it such a head trip). Finally I got to the point where I decided enough was enough and I was going to take better care of my body. So I started eating a modified whole foods diet and have stuck to that for about a month now.  By modified, it's a whole30 plus grassfed organic butter (I have bulletproof-style coffee every morning), bits of goat cheese and raw organic cheese for flavoring and occasional treats such as dark chocolate covered almonds.

During this past month I have FINALLY felt that amazing energy and it's been so, so great. I have a baby who isn't a great sleeper and even if I don't get a great night's sleep (most nights!), I still have the energy to go and go and go all day long. Heck, just cooking/preparing Paleo for the family and cleaning up after myself is a morning to night gig. But the point is, even though my diet is not picture perfect whole30, I feel good about the cheats/treats I do have and generally am feeling really energetic and lean. So I've found my sweet spot, but it was a real struggle getting here. I had a lot of mental baggage to deal with, and expect more ahead.

BTW I totally agree that getting enough veggies, and a good variety of them, is a key to the great energy. Also I found that as I started to experiment more with recipes, I found so many dishes I loved and started to feel this sense of great abundance rather than feeling restricted. My palate is completely alive now and I just cannot get over how much pleasure a bowl of yolky eggs with sauteed collard greens brings! Haha. My arsenal of go-to treats from the past no longer brings any pleasure and I am slowly coming to terms with that. :)

Archived