Can't sleep & getting up to pee

I am having an awful time sleeping. Part of it is that it seems like I have to get up every 2-3 hours to pee (I'm female so it's not prostate, LOL). I didn't get up this much when I was chugging down Diet Dew!

I also seem to have...it's not so much an increased heart rate, because I got up this morning and checked my BP and pulse because I was getting freaked out. My BP was 115/65 and my pulse was 66, so clearly my sense of a racing heart was subjective. This has happened a few nights in a row and it's really wearing on me.

Before Whole30 I was taking a little serotonin before bedtime. I cut it from 5 to 3, but then started taking the magnesium before I went to bed. That did the trick so well I quit taking the serotonin. I don't want to go back to relying on serotonin and Unisom for my sleep, but it's troubling me a lot.

LOL, Linda! I started on W30 Saturday and I have the same pee problem! I think what is happening is my body is releasing the excess fluid that a crappy diet holds into. I'm hoping it will been itself out by next week! Sleep (or lack of) has always been an issue for me since I had my kids 20+ years ago so I'm no help there. Good luck!

Thank you, Vickie! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I feel really tired tonight after my workout, and I took a little more magnesium than I normally do, so I'm about to go take a nice bubble bath and see how I do. I'm trying to cut back on my water in the evening, too - I tend to drink a lot more when I get home, and that might be contributing.

Linda:

I have noticed that I take in more water during this time. (and maybe you are too)

Also there is another thing to consider here, if you are eating more fruits and veggies...those have more water content.

I have also been up at night to pee, and I have gone more anyway....partly due to my increased water intake and I am starting to detox a bit too....

I am also having a hard time sleeping - I wake up, and I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack or something. My legs feel really twitchy and I cannot get comfortable. I have to get up and pee and move around. It's driving me nuts!! I take magnesium supplement before bed. I really don't know what to do, am hoping it just goes away... :(

MaryP I am feeling that exact same way. For the most part I haven't struggled with sleeping issues since my pregnancy, (also bought earplugs to block out hubby's snoring: life changing!) The past week has been rough off and on though. I am waking several times a night, use the bathroom, and then toss and turn for 45 min to an hour at times! Last night I was up at 2:00 for almost an hour, and then woke up again at 4:45 (an hour before my alarm). I was so awake that I went ahead and got up and did yoga, since I could tell I wasn't getting back to sleep! Maybe it's hormonal? I have been taking the unsweetened Natural Calm which does seem to help me fall asleep fairly easily, but staying asleep is another story! I know that 6 broken hours isn't enough, I'm with you on just hoping this will settle as time goes by.

I'm having the same problems sleeping! I'm on Day 21, and this past week has been horrible in terms of getting a restful night's sleep. My legs are restless, I can't get comfortable, I'm up and staring at the clock every 15-20 minutes. I'm taking Natural Calm at night, but I'm wondering if I need to also take melatonin and see if that helps.

I had the exact same issue in the second week, up every couple of hours to pee and the racing heart/anxiety feeling but my BP and heart rate were fine! I read on here that someone else had them and found they were Vitamin B deficient. I've been taking Vitamin B supplements as well as a Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D combo and havent had any racing heart/anxiety issues since. I've also cut down on fluid intake after bed, I used to have a cup of cammomile tea and that seems to help with the persistant need to pee :) Day 23 and feeling great!

FWIW last night again I was creepy crawly legs and I got up and took an additional 200mg chelated magnesium tablet and it seemed to calm things down so I was able to sleep. Maybe the level of magnesium I was taking just wasn't sufficient? Anyway, it was just SO nice to be able to sleep all night.

FWIW last night again I was creepy crawly legs and I got up and took an additional 200mg chelated magnesium tablet and it seemed to calm things down so I was able to sleep. Maybe the level of magnesium I was taking just wasn't sufficient? Anyway, it was just SO nice to be able to sleep all night.

That's a good idea...I'm going to try that next time I can't sleep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Having the same issues - needing to pee every two hours at night. And it's not just a feeling; it's real. I'm at Day 14. Does this get better? Will my body adjust? I'm not drinking more, as I always drink lots of water. I suppose it's my body naturally getting rid of water it was retaining before. I will try the tea suggestion mentioned earlier in this thread. Anyone else have something that works? Or just let me know it gets better and I'm not developing a life-long habit of waking up every 2 hours. :)

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is really old, but I am having the same issue of getting up to pee at night. I am on my second whole30 and have had to get up to pee since day 1. During my first whole30 (middle of June to middle of July), it took a few days before I had to get up to pee, but it lasted the rest of the 30 days. I have eaten lots of fruits and vegetables at other times in my life without having to get up at night to pee. I am taking no supplements, drinking one to two cups of coffee in the morning, usually finished by 9 o'clock, no other times of caffeine, and usually stop drinking water shortly after dinner, about 7 o'clock. This whole30 I am not sleeping well either. The first whole30, I slept really well almost from the beginning and could get back to sleep relatively easily after getting up to pee. I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently. If anything, I am being more strict this time because I read the book between the whole30s. I am eating 3 meals a day, occasionally a snack, with protein, good fat, lots of veggies and sometimes a fruit. I try to eat sweet potatoes at least once a day as well as carrots, avocado, spinach, beets, squash and other veggies with some carbs in them. I am currently on day 10 and am contemplating not completing this whole30 because I'm just not sleeping well and I am dragging during the day. I pee right before getting into bed and when I get into bed I feel like I have to pee again. Any suggestions? I will probably complete this whole30 and even extend it, but sometimes I just don't know if it's worth it with the kind of sleep I'm getting. I do feel really good in all other areas, though.

Hi Kim

I didn't realize this thread was old until you mentioned it! I find so many interesting things in these posts, new and old. 

I was having a bit of upinthenightitis initially but that calmed down. Now I find there are occasional nights I wake up in a panic and I relate it to not eating enough protein for my evening meal, crashing blood sugar stimulating cortisol. (May be completely off track but that's what it feels like) anyway, up the protein and not a problem. I also eat the starchy CHO early in the day and concentrate on protein and veg for the last meal. Instead of up frequently I now get up any time after 0500 and at times even don't get up at all. We are all so individual and it takes a bit of playing around to get it right.

Thanks for the reply, misslindy. I always make sure to eat (what I think is) enough protein at every meal. I do eat sweet potatoes at dinner quite often so I'll try to only eat protein, fat, and veggies at dinner. I don't know why, but I always thought I needed to eat more carbs to not have to get up to pee at night. When I'm not doing the whole30 (and pretty much not sticking to any kind of plan) I almost always sleep through the night. It's just weird and annoying. I feel great after dinner and don't feel hungry at all until the morning. I'll make sure I get plenty of protein and veggies for dinner and see if that helps. Thanks!

• 3 years later...

So the peeing thing is really starting to drive me crazy, I am on day 22, and I have been going to the bathroom more often than I can count just about every day. I was drinking a gallon of water a day, but I am barely breaking 64 oz in a day, and every time I drink, it is to the bathroom a solid 3 or 4 times over the course of 2 hours. How long did it take everyone else's body to regulate?

• 5 months later...

This has been happening to me since day 2 and I'm on day 18 now.  Last night it was 3 times and I was also in a hurry to get out of bed when it was time to get up.  I feel like a wet rag and of course, I have a headache as well.  I'm thirsty in the evening and drink maybe a can and a half of club soda with lime between 6 - 10.   3 times in the night seems excessive when I could previously sleep through the night.  Looking forward to day 31 and some nice processed food to get me back to feeling normal. 

Archived