Multi-animal bone stock?

doubledave22

I have been getting better at making bone broth (using crock pot now) but I have a relatively small amount of four different animal bones in my freezer. I have the bones from bone-in beef short ribs, bones from 2lbs of rack of lamb, a large pork shoulder bone, and bones from a small chicken. Would it be crazy to create a "super stock" of all four types at once? They are all grass-fed/organic etc. Or should I do one at a time and just make small amounts of each?

I just did lamb and beef a few days ago.  It definitely has more of a lamb quality to it, but I have no idea when I will be amassing that many beef bones.  It also got them out of my freezer and some went into a lamb stew yesterday because the farm we go to had stew meat available.

Pork shoulder would be interesting.  Never though of pork bone broth.  I even have a pastured pork shoulder roast in my freezer.  Maybe pork is my next protein.

If you do all four, let us know how it turns out and how you end up using it.

• Moderators

My bone broth is always a mixture - beef, lamb, chicken, pork, etc. The flavor varies depending upon which bones dominate. I never considered doing it any other way. I put bones in a freezer bag until it is full and then start another bag.

I've done a mixed chicken/pork one before. It was predominately chicken, with a few little pork bones (I think they were vertebrae) that I'd had left over from the piece I used to make the Well Fed carnitas. It turned out fine, and I just used the frozen stock cube for making taco soup last week.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to save old bones from food that we have prepared to make stock out of, I have just been buying 3-4 lbs of marrow bones from the farmers market every saturday and making a weekly broth to drink.  

So if we prepare a whole organic chicken, could i save the whole carcass for making stock?  Or do you just use select parts of the bird?  Have some lamb and pork chops in the freezer from a local farm too, once I cook those, I suppose I could also save the bones and toss into the crock pot.  

I will be interested to try making one with a variety of animal bones to see how the flavor compares, I would guess it would be pretty good.

So if we prepare a whole organic chicken, could i save the whole carcass for making stock?  Or do you just use select parts of the bird?  Have some lamb and pork chops in the freezer from a local farm too, once I cook those, I suppose I could also save the bones and toss into the crock pot.  

Yes!  I make the chicken in the crockpot.  Just tuck the bird in for the day (or overnight).  Add mire-poix or something similar if you like.  When I debone it, I put everything other than meat back in the pot, cover with water, and let it go until the larger bones turn brittle.

Last night's beef/lamb broth kept me awake!  :lol:

Pork and chicken are both quite "light" and go well together. I would keep beef and lamb "pure" though; each has a distinctive flavour. I wouldn't want to use beef stock in a shepherd's pie, for example.

I always mix and match. I go through a lot of bone broth, so I never have enough bones in the house. I always just ask the butcher for 2lb of whatever he has available. Sometimes he has options, sometimes I take 2lbs of mix n match. Last week I got a combo of lamb and buffalo and it was delicious!

Archived