Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Thanks for the advice on the mayo.  I did let everything get to room temp and I was on low speed.  mmmm. Maybe will try adding another yolk.

Woke up feeling pretty peppy for a Monday morning.  Let me tell you, that doesn't happen too often!

I find it comforting to check in here in the morning and evening.  Makes me accountable so thanks guys!!

Good luck to day 5!!

I use my kitchenaid mixer and gradually work up to highest speed, and mymayo is almost always perfect...(except too lemony, but then again, I'm used to hellmans, and I am using different eggs than normal)

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm in a combination of "kill all things" and whatever the next day is.  I read past day 5 on the timeline and it said something about pants being tight and the digestion being wacky.  I'm there.  And I want a nap. 

I hear ya! Slept a good 8 hours last night but woke up with massive bags under my eyes and I am suuppper cranky and tired. Not very mentally sharp, either- made a PB smoothie for the kids I am babysitting today and I was just about to lick the spoon clean before I snapped out of it and threw the spoon into the sink.

To quote Built to Spill, "If I don't die or worse, I'm gonna need a nap." lol.

Keep it up, everyone!

Things have been all good on the food side with me so far, but last night was brutal for sleep.  Our 10 month old just had one of those nights where his teeth coming in meant very short intervals of sleep.  Woke up feeling tired even though it was an hour later than I usually get up.

Wow, I slept like the dead last night and woke up fully refreshed instead of tired. And I didn't wake up all night, while I usually get up once or twice to pee. My chronically-achy  left shoulder is not the least bit bothersome and my right ankle (old soccer injury) is slightly swollen, but not the little balloon-off-the-side-of-my-foot it usually appears to be. 

Last night I cleaned all the pans from previous cooking and ran the dishwasher while I put more short ribs in the slow cooker (http://guiltykitchen.com/2013/03/13/paleo-slow-cooker-short-ribs/) and made stuffed peppers (http://wellnessmama.com/1618/stuffed-peppers-with-guacamole-and-salad-kid-approved/). I had a stuffed pepper with broccoli and a handful of grapes for my dinner. Maybe I didn't cook the peppers long enough, but the filling was delicious. I saved my pepper shell to dice up and throw into an omelet another day. I had short ribs with garlic sauteed spinach and an avocado for breakfast this morning, and they are really good. I used the balsamic and dijon mustard version of the recipe to stay compliant. 

Today/tonight will be my major cookup for the week ahead. I'm planning to make the Well Fed citrus carnitas and chocolate chili; probably some type of Mediterranean spiced beef sliders; chicken salad and egg salad to eat with lettuce; salmon patties; baba ghanoush, and some of Well Fed's Moroccan dipping sauce. 

Oh, I'm also making mayo for the first time tonight. I'm using this site's recipe http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/  because it uses an immersion blender (which I have, yay!). There's even a cool video, so maybe I won't mess it up.  :P

In just a bit, I'm finally checking out a Crossfit box that's recently opened less than 5 miles from home. I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of Crossfit, but I know it would be a great workout. Who here is a crossfitter? Is it truly scale-able for everyone? I'm pretty heavy and I doubt I could run even a quarter mile right now...Any advice would be appreciated.

Amberino21: Thank you for your response. When my Doc called she said I should stop eating gluten until I see a GI, which I already had since Thursday. I did a little research since she called me and from what I got from what I read is the next step is to stop eating gluten, lactose and grains for a period of time, at least 30 days, and then reintroduce them and see what happens. After reintroducing them, I believe that's when they do the more accurate test to see if the issue is gluten intolerance, celiac's disease or something else. If the test is positive for celiac's disease then a biopsy is normally performed, to be certain. 

Hey DominiqueJorg: Yeah, I've had all of that done. The only thing is I'm not sure why your doc would have told you to get off of gluten because the initial test is for antibodies in your blood. If you've been off of gluten then the antibodies won't show up in the initial blood test. If the first test doesn't come back positive, then most of the time they don't test for Celiac. The test for Celiac is the biopsy, which is done during an endoscopic procedure. The bad thing is that's the only thing they can test for - Celiac. There's no test for gluten sensitivity. I was on an elimination diet when I talked to my doctor, too. When I told him that a lot of things changed for the better he also suspected I had a problem with gluten, but also told me that I would have to go back on gluten in order for the test to show anything. I did not want to do that. Due to other digestive issues and the fact that I was in Germany and this is how they roll, I ended up getting tested for Celiac anyway as part of a "routine" endoscopy. I tested negative. But I do have a gluten sensitivity. The elimination diet you're describing is how I figured out my gluten issue as well as my dairy problem. And it wasn't lactose either. It's casein. In dairy, casein is what makes cheese gummy...kinda like what gluten does in bread. So, I guess it makes sense. It basically acts the same in your digestive system. In the end, I think that if you have a gluten sensitivity, there's not a lot that the GI can do for you. There's no meds for it. You just have to eliminate it. Hopefully, though, since you've been off of it you will continue to feel better as your body heals from the damage. It took me a good six months to really heal from it after eating it for about 40 years. LOL! If you already know that you feel better without it, then go with what your body is telling you. I'm going to a brand new GI in September but it's because I have a hernia that I need fixed. Other than that, my previous doctors told me what I'm telling you. Listen to your body. Eliminate that which makes you feel yucky. You will definitely see a difference the longer you give your body to heal and then learn to keep it out of your daily diet. I hope you feel better!! Good luck with everything!! 

writergirljodi-

Thank you very much for the information. I was planning on completing the whole30 and then reintroducing gluten to see if that may be the issue. Did you have any symptoms after eliminating gluten from your diet completely? I had a really bad episode of lower back and abdominal pain yesterday, that lasted for three hours. It made me super frustrated because I had hoped that the episodes would have at least gotten less intense since changing my diet.

I goofed.

I planned to walk today at lunch...it's a beautiful sunny breezy (ok windy) cool day here in Southern Vermont, but jesus h potatoes, the sun is HOT!!!!  I cooked it for 2.25 miles in 30 minutes.

SO where I goofed was....I haven't eaten since M1....i didn't think of this walk as a workout, but as I heated up my lunch of leftover roast beef onion and butternut squash with carrots....I'm wondering if I should have.

I brought turkey and almonds for a PWO meal because I intend to do my crossfit stuff when I get home....

I'll have to plan this better tomorrow.

I haven't had the headaches but I just feel so tired.  My legs feel like they are slogging through mud. 

Spent most of yesterday prepping/cooking my food for the week.  I have decided to try a new veggie dish or two from either Nom Nom or Well Fed each week while on the Whole 30 (BTW if you have an ipad I highly recommend the Nom Nom ipad app).  This week it is the root vegetable puree and the bacon topped brussell sprouts - both from Nom Nom.  Both are delicious I'm glad to say.  And speaking of delicious, the Well Fed mayo recipe is easy and delicious.  I just added 2 garlic cloves to the recipe and it is better than store bought.  I will never buy store bought mayo again!

Looking foward to when I have more energy.  Happy day 5!

Oh, I'm also making mayo for the first time tonight. I'm using this site's recipe http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/  because it uses an immersion blender (which I have, yay!). There's even a cool video, so maybe I won't mess it up.  :P

In just a bit, I'm finally checking out a Crossfit box that's recently opened less than 5 miles from home. I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of Crossfit, but I know it would be a great workout. Who here is a crossfitter? Is it truly scale-able for everyone? I'm pretty heavy and I doubt I could run even a quarter mile right now...Any advice would be appreciated.

I made mayo with my new immersion blender and it worked!  I only got it Friday and I must have used it a dozen times over the weekend.

I'd love to know about Crossfit too - how in shape do you have to be to do it?  What kind of a time committment is it?  Is it worth paying for a crossfit gym?  (I don't even know what they cost). 

Thanks...

Wow, I slept like the dead last night and woke up fully refreshed instead of tired. And I didn't wake up all night, while I usually get up once or twice to pee. My chronically-achy  left shoulder is not the least bit bothersome and my right ankle (old soccer injury) is slightly swollen, but not the little balloon-off-the-side-of-my-foot it usually appears to be. 

Last night I cleaned all the pans from previous cooking and ran the dishwasher while I put more short ribs in the slow cooker (http://guiltykitchen.com/2013/03/13/paleo-slow-cooker-short-ribs/) and made stuffed peppers (http://wellnessmama.com/1618/stuffed-peppers-with-guacamole-and-salad-kid-approved/). I had a stuffed pepper with broccoli and a handful of grapes for my dinner. Maybe I didn't cook the peppers long enough, but the filling was delicious. I saved my pepper shell to dice up and throw into an omelet another day. I had short ribs with garlic sauteed spinach and an avocado for breakfast this morning, and they are really good. I used the balsamic and dijon mustard version of the recipe to stay compliant. 

Today/tonight will be my major cookup for the week ahead. I'm planning to make the Well Fed citrus carnitas and chocolate chili; probably some type of Mediterranean spiced beef sliders; chicken salad and egg salad to eat with lettuce; salmon patties; baba ghanoush, and some of Well Fed's Moroccan dipping sauce. 

Do you want to come clean my pans too now? :o  :lol:  I think that's the worst thing so far! And I don't even know where all my plates have gone.

Re. Crossfit. I haven't done it. It is supposed to be fully scaleable, however you can open a Crossfit gym with very little training, so it really does depend on that individual trainer. There's certainly no harm in going along, asking what other qualifications they might have, etc. Something I've found offputting is that they* only put the "scarily fit" ones on their promotional material. Yes, I understand why, but it still smacks of "Hide the fatties!" to me. But if the local one is a decent trainer then it could be brilliant.

*as in the Crossfit gyms I have googled

Been going great so far! No headache, etc, (but I was avoiding lots of carbs prior). 

I noticed many are sleeping better, but I have the opposite problem.  I feel filled with energy at night & my mind kind of races. Almost like if you take a medicine that wires you. So instead of being able to fall asleep I am wide awake. (Once I fall asleep I am usually ok)  Is this from my metabolism speeding up or something?  

Been going great so far! No headache, etc, (but I was avoiding lots of carbs prior). 

I noticed many are sleeping better, but I have the opposite problem.  I feel filled with energy at night & my mind kind of races. Almost like if you take a medicine that wires you. So instead of being able to fall asleep I am wide awake. (Once I fall asleep I am usually ok)  Is this from my metabolism speeding up or something?  

Denise, do you take any supplements? I've been using Naturally Calm magnesium supplements for over a year, so I think that helps me a lot. I take it right before brushing my teeth for bed and I get the benefit of Mg supplementation and more restful sleep. I've also heard that having a fatty snack about an hour before bed (avocado or a nut butter) helps, but I know snacking is verboten during Whole30.

Do you want to come clean my pans too now? :o  :lol:  I think that's the worst thing so far! And I don't even know where all my plates have gone.

Re. Crossfit. I haven't done it. It is supposed to be fully scaleable, however you can open a Crossfit gym with very little training, so it really does depend on that individual trainer. There's certainly no harm in going along, asking what other qualifications they might have, etc. Something I've found offputting is that they* only put the "scarily fit" ones on their promotional material. Yes, I understand why, but it still smacks of "Hide the fatties!" to me. But if the local one is a decent trainer then it could be brilliant.

*as in the Crossfit gyms I have googled

Hahaha! I think you're on your own with your pans! I am enjoying my cleaner kitchen for a short time before my cookup tonight, and the mountain of dishes it will create. 

I'm still trying to work up the nerve to check out the Crossfit place. I know there are several around here, so if this one seems sketchy or not welcoming to me (a fatty for sure!) then I will find another one to check out. This one is just super convenient to my house, so I'm hoping it will turn out to be a good one. 

Although, maybe it would be best for me to continue walks, bike rides, and simple weights during my Whole30. It would certainly simplify my eating and schedule a bit.

Doing pretty good with food, no snacking and not being too hungry. Really tired today for some reason. Is making ranch with homemade mayo ok? Don't want to have SWYPO over ranch for my salads and veggies:)

I am curious about crossfit also. Looks a little intimidating but I like the idea of lots of different stuff to do and pushing yourself. Don't want to risk injury though.....

So... another newbie question.  What is Kombucha?  I have seen bottles in the store, but is there a link to read about it?  Thanks!  #imanewbie

Miriam, I was looking at Kombucha at Whole Foods last night, and I keep reading about it on multiple sites. I know it is a fizzy, fermented drink (with trace amounts of alcohol, according to the bottle of the brand I read last night) similar to tea. That was kind of disappointing to me, as I'm not a big fan of cold teas, only the warm kind in a cup. 

But it seems there are tons of flavors and it's supposed to be extremely good for you, so I'm tempted to get some and check it out. 

Also, lots of people seem to make their own.

Denise, do you take any supplements? I've been using Naturally Calm magnesium supplements for over a year, so I think that helps me a lot. I take it right before brushing my teeth for bed and I get the benefit of Mg supplementation and more restful sleep. I've also heard that having a fatty snack about an hour before bed (avocado or a nut butter) helps, but I know snacking is verboten during Whole30.

Thanks for your reply. yes, I have been taking a magnesium supplement (for a few weeks now). Normally it does seem to help, but not the past few nights.  I am guessing/hoping once I adjust to how I am eating it will get better again.  I may try the fatty snack before bed for a few days as I am still transitioning. Thanks

I started CrossFit this year in February.  I have no experience with sports or exercise and was VERY out of shape.  Jogging for 3 minutes made me sound asthmatic.  It is VERY intimidating but VERY scalable.  They will work with you, but be prepared to work, you WILL suck at everything when you start.  So will everyone else.  I was very surprised that I liked it, I never thought I would be the type to be all "Hoo-Ah! Let's KILL this workout!".  I always figured when I found something that worked for me (in the far far future when I would exercise and eat right and declutter and garden and scrapbook or whatever)  it would be more scented candles, feel your kundalini type stuff.....But this makes me feel really good even when I'm dead on the floor. My box had an On Ramp program which helped a lot, because we all did our first month as beginners together before we were "released" into the general population.  I really recommend it.

Day 5, and all is well (for now). I cooked a few big dishes over the weekend (some Primal Jambalaya from MDA, grilled a nice tri-tip, and I've still got a few servings of chili left over from last week). Did a long hike on Saturday, 8 miles with a lot of climbing. Went into it fasted, and only ate a couple of hard-boiled eggs, an apple, and an orange along the way. Definitely felt the lack of fuel towards the end, but I still felt pretty good, very mentally clear the whole time. I had a little extra fruit afterwards, along with a sweet potato at my next meal to help refill the glycogen a bit.

Sleep is great. I take some natural calm and melatonin and sleep like a boss, 8-10 hours. So much better than a week ago.

Today was my first day back in the gym in 2 weeks. Didn't really feel like going but went nonetheless, and was glad I did. Felt really good, no energy issues (besides the fact that my conditioning is not up to snuff at the moment). I'm not really having mood swings or anything, even the cravings are barely there (and mostly when I'm home and bored). That being said, I'm not getting complacent; I've done this before and I know it gets harder before it gets easier. Gotta keep up the mindfulness, that's the key for me. If I let my goals get out of sight I lose the drive, so reading and posting here is a definite must.

1/6 of the way there :)

Feeling a lot less cranky today! Yay! But still tired and headachey. I cut back to two eggs this morning instead of three and that seems to be helping. I should get three meals in today instead of just two like the last two days.

So, we're 5 days in... and my four year old son is losing his mind.  Who had any idea that sugar/carb addiction could affect a little body so much.  My sweet little buddy has been having mood swings, and crying jags, and just general craziness that is NOT normal for him...AT ALL.

Is anyone else doing this with your kids?  If so-- how are they doing?  We're trying to be strict with what he's eating because he suffers from allergy induced eczema from soy, and he also is red 40 intolerant--- to the max!  

Miriam, I was looking at Kombucha at Whole Foods last night, and I keep reading about it on multiple sites. I know it is a fizzy, fermented drink (with trace amounts of alcohol, according to the bottle of the brand I read last night) similar to tea. That was kind of disappointing to me, as I'm not a big fan of cold teas, only the warm kind in a cup. 

But it seems there are tons of flavors and it's supposed to be extremely good for you, so I'm tempted to get some and check it out. 

Also, lots of people seem to make their own.

Here is more complete answer for you. Kombucha is fermented sweet tea. If you buy a brand with no added sugar (shouldn't be in the ingredient list) you should be good. The alcohol content is negligible (though it can vary based on fermentation time). Kombucha is a probiotic drink so it can be beneficial to gut health. I drink some almost every day. Dave's GT brand is very good! I don't think it tastes like iced tea at all...but I get the ones with fruit juice/puree added to them. It's worth a shot to try it! There is a whole thread here devoted to making your own.

So... another newbie question.  What is Kombucha?  I have seen bottles in the store, but is there a link to read about it?  Thanks!  #imanewbie

kombucha is a fermented drink, it is full of probiotics, and made by brewing a tea and adding sugar then fermenting it with a mother culture called a scoby for a period of time...i've been brewing my own for almost a year and the length of time that you ferment it depends on how warm or cold it is (it ferments faster when it's warm)  and personal taste.

Archived