Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 over! (yesterday) Had a bit of a headache last night and really craved something sweet after dinner, but did not cave it...YAY to me! I thought about taking something for my headache and decided to fill up on some more H2O, good idea! Felt better and slept ok.

Day 2 today and going strong so far, it is my hubby's birthday and the kids want cake, I will get them to bake and cook, that way there wil be no liking of the bowl, spoon or fingers...wish me luck!

Have been having a single scrambled egg (nothing added to it) in the mornings between 6:30am and 7am and not feeling hungry until lunchtime, that is a good feeling, and drinking heaps of water.

I did eat a banana between breakfast and lunch because I finished mowing the lawn and I probably could've chewed my arm off. I'm used to eating 5,6,7,8 times a day. I am aiming for 3 meals a day tommorow though

If you were that hungry then a mini meal is recommended....or it sounds like it could have been considered a workout, so protein and starchy vegies?

I came from eating 5-7 meals a day, and just made sure to eat a lot at each meal to last me through :) (and I mean a lot- the people at my work laugh at how much food I eat)

I had been practicing getting my meals "on the template" and no snacking for a few days, so it went well for me.  I was surprised by how much food is recommended when you actually measure out 5g of protein + 1-2 cups veg + fat serving.  I felt really full and snacking is usually my downfall.  I'm excited, although we'll have to see how I feel in a week. I hope we're not all freaking out!  Someone needs to hold our hands!

Started off strong today but succumbed to temptation in the evening... Also tomorrow I'm having a spa day with a friend and I think we're going for sushi and sake so perhaps I'll start on Saturday!  But I'm going to use these days as "practice" days and try to do as well as I can.  Yay for everyone who started off strong! 

I just finished off day 2 (it's 2nd August here nearly 7pm), and another great day. 

I use to be a big snacker, but I started eating bigger meals prior to the 1st to get me prep and it worked. 

I was properly also eating 80% clean prior to that, so that also helped, but I'm using this experience as a good kick start, also I have kids with allergies so it's good for them too. 

Day 15 and day 2 for August. All good, whole 30 eating has become a good habit. One thing I noticed was that I haven't eaten broccoli for a few weeks and today at lunch had about 3 pieces in my salad. By 5pm had stomach cramps, wind and some bloating. Broccoli a no no I think. Looking back I have suffered bloating issues after eating broccoli however never really blamed the broccoli.

Great energy and waking up around 6am wide eyed and bushy tailed.

Attribute this to Whole 30 and no caffeine.

Day 15 and day 2 for August. All good, whole 30 eating has become a good habit. One thing I noticed was that I haven't eaten broccoli for a few weeks and today at lunch had about 3 pieces in my salad. By 5pm had stomach cramps, wind and some bloating. Broccoli a no no I think. Looking back I have suffered bloating issues after eating broccoli however never really blamed the broccoli.

Great energy and waking up around 6am wide eyed and bushy tailed.

Attribute this to Whole 30 and no caffeine.

How are you cooking the broccoli? I have to boil/steam it well (and cauliflower too); roasting/frying/raw just doesn't agree with me.

One day down, 29 to go. My first day was fine, though I started to have a migraine in the evening, that got really bad in the night, so I took painkillers. But to be honest, I was prepared to get a migraine, I always do when I change my diet.

This morning I had three scrambled eggs, half a cucumber, One tomato, a banana and an espresso. And I'm feeling really good (except for the heat - it is really hot in Germany today).

Let's see what the next days will bring!!!

Hey, Julie,

It's my third time, too!  I've got 2 kids and a husband and, with summer vacation, summer camps, owning my own business AND moving, it's been a challenge to stay motivated to eat well.  I hear you on the zero energy and tummy problems!

I love Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo.  So many paleo blogs out there to get inspiration from - that's super cool.  

I'll check out your blog today.  

Hope your first day was awesome!

Kathy (3rdTimesTheCharm) 

I am definitely in!  This will be my 3rd Whole30 and I'm so excited for it.  I've gotten off track over the last few weeks (I normally eat ~90% Paleo) with vacation and travelling (with a side of stress thrown in) and I am really feeling th effects - sore joints, stomach troubles, zero energy). 

The one BIGGEST help for me in doing a successful Whole30 is preparation.  Hand in hand with having all the right ingredients in your kitchen is actually doing something with them.  I like to do weekly 'Cook-ups' as described by Melissa Joulwan in her "Well Fed" bible, i mean cookbook ;) I have several of these cookups along with recipes described in my blog (which is sadly outdated but I plan to revive) http://caveeatee.wordpress.com/

Can't wait to start! :)

Julie

Hey, Julie!  It's my third time, as well.  

Hi, Eponina!  I love your breakfast!!  I may copy that today.  Cucumbers rule!!

One day down, 29 to go. My first day was fine, though I started to have a migraine in the evening, that got really bad in the night, so I took painkillers. But to be honest, I was prepared to get a migraine, I always do when I change my diet.
This morning I had three scrambled eggs, half a cucumber, One tomato, a banana and an espresso. And I'm feeling really good (except for the heat - it is really hot in Germany today).
Let's see what the next days will bring!!!

I came from eating 5-7 meals a day, and just made sure to eat a lot at each meal to last me through :) (and I mean a lot- the people at my work laugh at how much food I eat)

I'm also coming from 5-6 meals a day, based on recommendations from lots of workout buddies...any insight into why 3 is better (besides more convenient)?

Had a strong showing of willpower at lunch.  Ordered a carnitas plate without tortilla.  Left the entire portion of rice and beans untouched on the plate.  Just ate the meat and salad (calling some lettuce with shredded carrots and a sliced tomato a salad.)

Also didn't eat a single tortilla chip.

Now that's what I call willpower!!

Day 1 under the belt!  I already had a hiccup in my planning that didn't bode well with my OCD but I managed to adapt and pull through.  It got me thinking that how you can plan perfectly but if you don't also plan to have your plans go off the rails, you can probably plan to fail.  :P Whoa, that's a lot of 'planning'!

I'm working on a brain-burning headache at the moment (hello, old friend) and I'm really wishing I hadn't indulged in that crappy ice cream on the weekend now.  Serves me right!

I get another big test today at lunch when I have to go out with coworkers.  I can usually find something to eat but the peer pressure to pick something naughty irritates me. 

Hey, Julie,

It's my third time, too!  I've got 2 kids and a husband and, with summer vacation, summer camps, owning my own business AND moving, it's been a challenge to stay motivated to eat well.  I hear you on the zero energy and tummy problems!

I love Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo.  So many paleo blogs out there to get inspiration from - that's super cool.  

I'll check out your blog today.  

Hope your first day was awesome!

Kathy (3rdTimesTheCharm) 

Hey, Julie!  It's my third time, as well.  

Great to meet you Kathy!  We have many similarities :)  You DO have a lot on your plate!  We can do this, though! :D

How did your first day go?  I struggle with eating enough with each meal so I get hungry in between and super cranky.  I abhore feeling full (probably a side effect of my GERD and ulcers) so I always stop short of where I should only to want snacks a couple of hours later.  I'll get there!

I'm also coming from 5-6 meals a day, based on recommendations from lots of workout buddies...any insight into why 3 is better (besides more convenient)?

Pretty sure the idea of 5-6 meals was pushed by the supplement companies. Who could/would cook for 5-6 meals a day when the can add in a couple of shakes instead?

@Kitchenwitch

If someone told you that you must bake an extra hour each day or you would lose your job/business/home - you would find a way.  If a customer told you that the warmth and love and nourishment that you provided for them in the form of the food you make kept them going each day - you would never forget their order.

So someone is telling you - your sister - that if you don't stop for at least 90 minutes a day (30 minutes per meal) and fill your bodies order to love it first before all others  - you will lose everything.  Because you will lose your health and as we all know that is the slippery slope toward losing everything.

Set a timer for three times a day if you can - don't wait to feel hungry.  If you can't finish it, don't force it,  but sit quietly first and tell yourself that you are doing what the flight attendants told you - putting on your own mask first before helping others with theirs... because if you've passed out you're kinda useless to the people who need you.

Being a paleo baker seems kind of like being a vegan butcher  ;)  but your picture and your username suggests you are very good at it and people love you for it.  In baking, being careless is a recipe for disaster (no pun intended).  Baked goods prefer exact, perfect conditions or they won't 'perform'.  Same with your body.  You can't 'try' to make your quota every day and hope it works out, can you?  So get it done, sister!  Take care of your self first.

My (athletic) 16yo has been working out with me (almost an anti-athlete, started exercising for the first time this year) sometimes and will be joining my Crossfit box in September (she's away for the summer).  It's THE BEST.  Even though she kicks my butt.  She is so supportive.  To have a child willing to do something like this with you is great.  Best of luck!

My boy bailed on me. That's ok, I TOTALLY just did 25 air squats in the office bathroom because I didn't have time for them this am...LOL

Good morning all. I woke up with almost NO hip pain today. I usually get up like an old lady and slowly move but not today. I hope it's not the placebo effect and I am just wishing for it. Only time will tell.

I did much better grocery shopping last night. I went through all the sale adds and made a list. Spent very little money and got alot of allowed foods. So the lesson here is have a plan BEFORE you go grocery shopping or out of the house.

No headaches so doing good so far today.

My boy bailed on me. That's ok, I TOTALLY just did 25 air squats in the office bathroom because I didn't have time for them this am...LOL

That is awesome that you found a way to exercise in your busy schedule! That's inspiring :)

Happy Day 2!

amberino please don't yell at me.....I had coffee with coconut milk and coconut oil for breakfast.  I was so focused on getting ready for work, and packing a lunch, that I completely forgot and then had no time to pull it together.

I should have eaten my lunch for breakfast and bought lunch but I'm not so confident with going into a store to forage for something healthy without giving in to old habits.  This is my compromise.

I am so used to having my own eggs.  We recently moved our 6 layers down to the farm (folks place) and we are nurturing the next flock along, they won't be laying till mid October. Ugh!  I really really really DON'T want to have to buy eggs...i know the ones i want will be $5.00 a dozen, and I'll need 2 dozen...I never knew I'd miss eggs so much!!!

I'm shopping tonight (if I can get my act together) I'm hoping I can do this on $200.00 for two weeks.  Tight budget, I know.

SO:

M1 decaf organic blah blah blach coffee 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 tbsp coconut oil

M2: venison, large multi green salad with cherry tomatoes, cukes, and olive oil/vinegar dressing, strawberries and 1 kiwi chopped up

M3: depends on what I find at Harlows market at lunchtime...(all natural, local grass fed everything there, and also, expensive eggs! *L*)

I'm feeling pretty good today, except I'm sore from yesterdays workout, but not terribly so.

Have a great day.

Marie

overslept and decided it was better to pack my lunch than worry about breakfast. Made my salad and stopped at the cafeteria and grabbed a hard boiled egg and had a tomato...

I know it's not enough food for my meal...but better than nothing.

My salad looks divine and can't wait to eat it. Roast beef with lettuce/tomato/cucs/radish/shrooms/avocado/organic sunflower seeds :)

Love my iced green tea with mint. 

Dinner right now is unknown.  I knew the first few days I was flying by the seat of my pants, but will have the time to plan my meals and cook / chop this weekend.

I'm also roasting beets tonight.  First time ever for me....Can't wait to try them!

Noooo!   Want me to send him a picture of my daughter frowning at him?  She has a heck of a frownie face.  ;)  Or a vid of her running backwards and *singing* while I huff and puff and make people worry I'm asthmatic (I'm not...just out of shape...although that happens less and less now...yay me!).  Good for you for sticking to it though! 

I am starting my Day 2 here and have alreday had my PreWO (1 deviled egg, all compliant, homemade mayo blah blah blah), PostWO (chicken breast + 3 bites of sweet potato, eaten in the car right about 15 mins after WO ended) and Meal 1 (collard greens + 2 deviled eggs).  It seems like so much food to have before even getting to work!  Anyone else feeling like the extra WO food is a LOT?

Archived