Refresh my memory... what is the reintro protocol? ISWF sent back to the library...

Remind me of the reintroduction protocol? Is it one new food every 4 days, eat the food days 1-3, watching for any unusual reactions? If none, keep eating the food at will, introduce the next food on day 4? And so on and so forth?

Or do you only eat the food on day 1, monitor for reaction for 3 days, then introduce the next food on day 4, eating the previous food at will after the first 3 days and no reaction?

I plan to introduce dairy, eggs, corn, and soy, more or less in that order, as these are the prime suspects for intolerances. Oh, and coffee. Even though I've also been off nuts, seeds, and nightshades, I'm really not expecting those to affect me, so I may or may not worry about the same protocol for reintroduction.

Introduce a single food at all 3 meals on day 1. If no reaction, you could have some on day 2 if you want. Then at least 2 days of clean/W30 eating. Reintroduce next food. Don't keep eating anything at will until reintros are over.

Huh... I sure didn't remember it that way... That means you are dumping all the new foods in at once, right at the end. Wouldn't that be problematic? Because I thought a reintroduction was just that... a reintroduction. You're talking about 2 seperate reintroductions, here.

This is what I did with instruction from ISWF. I re-introduced dairy twice a day for 3 days. Then back to W30 for 3-4 days. Re-intro gluten grains twice a day for 3 days..no dairy during this time whether it bothered me or not. Rinse..repeat.

Huh... I sure didn't remember it that way... That means you are dumping all the new foods in at once, right at the end. Wouldn't that be problematic? Because I thought a reintroduction was just that... a reintroduction. You're talking about 2 seperate reintroductions, here.

I don't understand. You introduce one food at a time. Go back to W30 rules for a few days, reintroduce a 2nd food. There shouldn't be any overlap. I don't know what you mean by 2 separate reintros?

This is the sample reintroduction schedule from ISWF:

Day 1: Reintroduce and evaluate dairy products
Day 4: Reintroduce and evaluate gluten-containing grains
Day 7: Reintroduce and evaluate non-gluten grains
Day 10: Reintroduce and evaluate legumes

You're testing different food groups every 3 days, and each day of reintro, as JJB said, you test the item in question at each meal. For example, on dairy day, you could test half and half at breakfast, cheese at lunch and yogurt at dinner.

For me (and this is also how it was instructed by my doctor's office), you reintro each food group for 1 day only, then eat clean for a couple days to both check for any delayed reaction and prepare your body for the next reintro food group.

During reintro, you keep the rest of your diet Whole30 compliant.

Does that all make sense?

EDIT: So, given you want to reintro dairy, eggs, corn, and soy, you would do dairy on day 1, eggs on day 4, corn on day 7 and soy on day 10.  Once you reintro something on its day, you don't have it again until after your entire reintro process is over.

What I mean by "two" introductions, is that you are introducing the food on Day 1 (or 4, or 7, or whatever), then you remove the food and introduce it again, at the end of your introductions. Which could be a difference of weeks. I just didn't remember the book saying it couldn't be eaten in the interim, but that's why I'm asking, because I don't remember everything the book said.

To keep things clean and to really figure out which foods are troublesome to you, if any, you introduce them one at a time.

I never kept a log, but since you will be journaling about non W30 foods, I would start a post W30 log.

The Whole30 Reintroductions area is where you would log your reintroduction experience.

The Post-Whole30 Log area is where you would get support after your Whole30, including your reintroduction, is complete. In other words, get assistance with 'riding your own bike'.

The Whole30 Reintroductions area is where you would log your reintroduction experience.

The Post-Whole30 Log area is where you would get support after your Whole30, including your reintroduction, is complete. In other words, get assistance with 'riding your own bike'.

Forgot there was a reintro area. On my phone but from what I can tell, this is the reintro area.

How could we get a mod to respond and clarify the reintro protocol?

Hi, Chris already gave you the protocol, sorry if you missed it

You're testing different food groups every 3 days, and each day of reintro, as JJB said, you test the item in question at each meal. For example, on dairy day, you could test half and half at breakfast, cheese at lunch and yogurt at dinner.

For me (and this is also how it was instructed by my doctor's office), you reintro each food group for 1 day only, then eat clean for a couple days to both check for any delayed reaction and prepare your body for the next reintro food group.

That's exactly what the book says. as you're reintroducing foods to evaluate them it stresses "while keeping the rest of your diet Whole30-compliant".  As it states "the key is not combining food groups in any one testing day"

That way as you try each food group, you'll get a very clear indication of how your body reacts to it and you won't muddy the waters by not knowing which group caused the problem if there are any. Once you've tried all the food groups, you know which ones you can safely eat and which might cause upset. Obviously, as the book says, if you don't miss a food and you know it's a less than healthy choice, then there's no need to reintroduce it. good luck with it

Does that all make sense?

EDIT: So, given you want to reintro dairy, eggs, corn, and soy, you would do dairy on day 1, eggs on day 4, corn on day 7 and soy on day 10.  Once you reintro something on its day, you don't have it again until after your entire reintro process is over.

Thanks for this - it makes perfect sense to me! I have one question myself though. When we reintroduce one food groups - lets say dairy, do we make sure that it doesn't contain sugar, or any of the other foods that have been eliminated?

Thanks for this - it makes perfect sense to me! I have one question myself though. When we reintroduce one food groups - lets say dairy, do we make sure that it doesn't contain sugar, or any of the other foods that have been eliminated?

I think that's the best way to do it - look for things with no added sugar..i think that's why many people say they avoid icecream for a dairy reintro as it contains a whole lot more than dairy :)

Do the best you can, but sometimes it's not possible. Even one of the dairy examples in ISWF is ice cream , which contains sugar.

Archived