Questions about dairy reintroduction

Peaslepuff

Okay, so today I'm reintroducing dairy while eating my otherwise totally compliant meals.

For breakfast, I'm having a Greek yogurt.

For lunch, I'm having a bit of cheddar cheese. 

For dinner, I'm having a tiny bit of ice cream (basically I took my reintroduction plan for dairy straight from ISWF).

So I'm having this Greek yogurt, and the only ingredient is Cultured Grade A Nonfat milk. I've been eating it for about fifteen minutes (It's thick, I'm not used to the texture anymore, and plain Greek yogurt has always tasted like sour cream to me so it's taking forever to get through this) and I got a minor headache. 

Do you think it's possible the headache is from the dairy? Or could it be from something else? Would that affect come on so quickly? And how long do you think it would take for my stomach to feel wonky? And would I react to different dairy products in different ways? Like say I can't eat yogurt but I can have some cheeses. Is that possible?

Because to be honest I don't particularly care about having yogurt and ice cream, but there are several recipes I would like to try that have mozzarella, cheddar, or feta cheese, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed here.

Thanks in advance for any input!

• Moderators

Cheese is likely to be the most challenging dairy if you have issues with dairy, followed by ice cream. Fermented dairy is likely to be the easiest to manage. At least that is my sense of how things tend to work.

Getting a headache within 15 minutes seems too quick to me, but I would defer to others who have personal experience with dairy sensitivities.

Yes, you can react to different dairy products in different ways. If you don't really want the yogurt, don't eat it! don't reintroduce anything that you wouldn't want to be eating on a regular basis.

Give it a day. 15 minutes may be long enough (i've reacted to sugar that fast before), or it could be a coincidence!

Okay, I'll see how I feel later. I don't want the yogurt particularly, but since the book says to have a bit of dairy with every meal that you're eating on that day, I figured it would be best to try a few different types of dairy.

I just had a couple bites of cheese and I didn't get a headache from that, so the headache this morning could have been a fluke. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next few days go smoothly...

Everybody reacts differently.  When I was a child, I got immediate hives.  Now, I can eat yogurt and goat cheese with no immediate reaction, but may have a delayed increase in my allergies.  Other cheeses makes my tummy wonky.  Ice cream is just bad for me in many ways, but that is the sugar.  My son has stomach reactions (if he eats dairy, you're likely to see it again soon :wacko: ).  I agree that you should try it again tomorrow and see if you get the same reaction.  Reintros are an interesting science experiment!

Archived