allergies/cold or gluten sensitivity?

Today is day 13 of my first Whole30. I'm pretty proud of myself for getting this far! The only issue I've had is that I've suddenly gotten uncomfortably sick in the past few days.

I was thinking it was a summer cold/seasonal allergies, but I just finished reading the grains/legumes section in the book and am now wondering if it could be due to a dinner I recently ate.

Flash back to tuesday night - I went to an awesome restaurant that was totally friendly to dietary restrictions and ordered blackened salmon atop kale with some asparagus. I made sure to tell the waitress that I could not have dairy, and the menu said that item was "gluten free." So, I felt that I was in the clear.

However, now that I'm thinking back to it, the salmon had a bit of a "crust" which I didn't think anything of at the time due to the gluten-free notation. After reading that section, however, I'm thinking that maybe the crust was corn meal. 

At the end of the dinner I found that my nose suddenly became extremely stuffy and I felt my head getting that "foggy" feeling that comes with allergies. The symptoms have yet to disappear. 

Could it be that I'm experiencing symptoms of gluten sensitivity? Or is it too early to tell? And how do I make it stop! (I'm trying to avoid medications as well during these 30 days.)

I've been suspicious of gluten/dairy sensitivities before starting the whole30. I haven't been able to properly test (like I'm doing now) but I have experienced stomach upsets etc after consuming milk products/grains...or at least I think that's what it's been from.

If it was corn meal, then it's not wheat gluten. But you could have a corn allergy/sensitivity. Corn is a grain but does not have gluten. But some people do react to other proteins in it.

Archived