Where can I get coconut aminos & sugar free stock in NZ???

JayneNZ

Can anyone tell me where I get coconut aminos from and also if you know of any brand of beef/chicken stock that does NOT have sugar in it? I can't believe they put sugar in stock until I started reading labels!!

I buy coconut aminos on iherb (if you haven't shopped there before, chuck in code BSB380 and you'll get a discount!)

it's a great online store, decent shipping (and quick), and so many good things to buy

coconut products - flours, oil, butter, aminos, vinegar

ghee, nut butters, organic herbs and spices, home and body stuff, plenty of non-whole 30 things :)

maybe check a decent grocer/deli for stock - I know of a couple here, but to be honest I've just used water in my cooking and lots of herbs and spices. nothing has tasted bland yet! I haven't time or room to make/store my own and I refuse to pay $10 for a litre of stock

Have you considered making your own stock? Lots of good and easy recipes online...all you really need are bones (any kind: chicken, turkey, beef, whatever) and you can use up those sad, leftover veggies in the fridge to add flavor. Takes about 35min to make stock in a pressure cooker or maybe a couple hours on the stovetop.

Thanks for replying guys.

Yes, I did consider making my own - even bought some bones to make it but they've been in the freezer cos I was too scared (and lazy) to try it. I just found a recipe on Nom Nom Paleo which I will try so dragging those bones out of  the freezer now! Will post how the experiment goes!!

Thought I would share that I found a stock that is gluten free and doesn't have sugar in it here in NZ.

I got it from New World and is the brand name: Imagine. The ingredients are: Organic chicken broth (filtered water, organic chicken), organic onions, organic celery, organic carrots, sea salt, natural chicken flavour, organic spices.

It has a Ceres sticker on the side if that helps in sourcing it. They only had the chicken one as the beef one was out of stock (hahaha) and it wasn't too expensive (I think $4-5)?? Sorry, threw the receipt away.

Hope that info helps someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi JayneNZ and nat_hullNZ I'm in Chch too. I'm going to Lotus Heart on St Asaph St today to get Coconut Aminos (I just checked that they stock it). We make our own chicken stock. It does take a couple of hours but makes the house smell delicious and it is easy to freeze too.

Cheers, Sarah

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Christchurch people! Bin inn in New Brighton and piko on stanmore road also stock coconut aminos. Have you tried making stock in your slow cooker? You can put it on in the evening and it's all done when you wake up in the morning.

trez - I think canola oil is okay if necessary at restaurants but generally discouarged, so I'm not sure what the official rule is on this situation, but the ingredients vary so much I'd really go to your local store and check it out. I don't remember the Imagine beef broth near me having canola in it (though it was noncompliant for some other reason, probably added sugar).

I've used chicken stock for recipes calling for beef stock a lot - unless it's something like a beef vegetable soup (where it would be really obvious), it usually works fine. Chocolate chili, for example!

trez - I think canola oil is okay if necessary at restaurants but generally discouarged, so I'm not sure what the official rule is on this situation, but the ingredients vary so much I'd really go to your local store and check it out. I don't remember the Imagine beef broth near me having canola in it (though it was noncompliant for some other reason, probably added sugar).

I've used chicken stock for recipes calling for beef stock a lot - unless it's something like a beef vegetable soup (where it would be really obvious), it usually works fine. Chocolate chili, for example!

Thanks for the response :) I believe I ended up getting the Imagine brand and I remember it being totally complaint (and no canola oil), maybe the list online was outdated. I remember checking every single container of stock in that brand at the store (beef, chicken, veggie, low sodium etc etc).

If you're making bone broth for the first time, a slow cooker is really easy :) If you have cooked bones, they add an extra depth of flavour. I usually use both raw and cooked, as I freeze my leftover chicken bones and get some chicken frames raw (so cheap!). I throw it in my biggest slow cooker, with a bay leaf, few peppercorns, doesn't need much :)

Archived