Early morning workout and breakfast

JordanC

I go to Crossfit at 8 every morning. I typically eat a banana beforehand and after, eat my breakfast of eggs and a meat. I'm seeing all of this about the post-wod meal not counting as a meal, so do I need to eat a real breakfast too or increase the amount I'm eating? 

If your schedule/time allows for you to have another meal, which would be "breakfast", then I would recommend eating a traditional breakfast maybe and hour or so after your post workout meal. If that's not feasible for you, then I would increase the amount you are eating post workout. 

Don't sweat it too much, if you are getting a quality amount of protein and carbs in post workout and you easily make it to lunch before getting hungry...then you already had the right idea with fueling. 

I would switch that around. It's more beneficial to eat carbs such as your banana AFTER Your WOD with some lean protein like chicken. Have the egg beforehand . If you eat the post WOD mini meal within half an hour of training, you could have your breakfast an hour or so later. The sooner you get lean protein and carbs to the tired muscle, the better you will recover and thus perform next time.

Definitely change your preWO to protein and fat - a HB egg is an easy way to get a bit in, or a tin of salmon in oil, or I sometimes have chicken dipped in mayo

Is it possible to take something with you to eat immediately postWO? Fruit isn't recommended, so try and replace the carb component with starchy vegies (sweet potato is great!) and take some lean protein.

If you can get that in, a proper breakfast with protein/fat/vegies could come later :)

Thanks guys! I usually get home within a half hour at most of finishing the workout, so timing isn't a problem in that aspect. I will definitely switch the pre and post meals around though. I can usually make it to lunch without getting hungry, but I usually get hungry before dinner. Eating the post and then a normal breakfast could delay lunch a bit so there isn't as much time until dinner!

To add on to this... 

I'm on Day 6 of the Whole 30...

Today I WOD'd for the first time in a long time (yes I know I'm a slacker) and it was the first WOD during my Whole 30. I woke up at 7, ate a hardboiled egg and 2 handfuls of cashews on my way to the box (per whole30 suggestions/guidelines) and went to the 8am WOD. I couldn't make it through one of the 3 rounds of the WOD. Now I know I've been out of the box for a bit but I really had NOTHING in the tank. I got really dizzy and couldn't focus my eyes and could barely pick things up. I know that part of it was because I'm out of WOD shape but the other thing that is screaming at me is that I had nothing in the tank to push me through the WOD. 
Now I'm following the Whole 30 as directed but obviously, something isn't right. Do I just push through and hope my body adjusts as necessary to WODing again or do I need to eat more in the morning or eat something different? 

Have you read the Whole30 Timeline

You are smack dab in the middle of "kill all things" and "i just want a nap" stages! There is nothing wrong...your body is just adjusting.

I wouldn't worry about one wod going awry. Take a deep breath. Your energy will return full force soon enough. In the mean time if you still feel the need to WOD, do it with the understanding that you will not be breaking any records during the first few weeks of a W30. Take your time, keep your wits about you, and move through the work as your body allows. 

Keep at it girl!

So basically, my body is failing me during the adjustment period of the W30? I literally couldn't finish a round of the wod, which seems bad. I mean, I couldn't do it at all, I just had no energy. 

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll eat 2 eggs and a little fat and see how that does. I just hated feeling like I did today. 

And honestly, I don't feel that tired, and didn't really want to kill anything, thankfully. 

Is it a bad idea to have an egg and an apple as my morning pre-workout meal? 

It's actually much more important to eat carbs AFTER the WOD. My whole 30 hasn't been low carb, I train way too much for that. I was already on a clean grain free diet so I was maybe already fat adapted but my advice is, go into your WOD with protein and fat in your belly. Afterwards eat lean protein and starchy veg like sweet potato within a half hour. The night BEFORE the WOD you could also preload with carbs. Starchy veg and fruit with dinner . This is what I do and although I am farther on ( day 25) I am now having the BEST workouts ever! Even at 6 am.

Mrs Kennel, I went through the exact same problems (as did many others on this forum) from about day 7-day 14 or so.  My energy levels were the lowest I can remember, my mood was cranky and my workouts were terrible.  It was all part of my body adapting to not relying on carbs and sugars for energy, it takes a while for the adjustment to fully take place and your body really loves those carbs and sugars, so it's not going to let you give them up that easily.  Just stick with it, stay positive and if you really feel tired or unmotivated one day - take the day off from the gym and let your body rest and recover.  Trust me, within a few more days, these feelings will only be a memory and you will be feeling a lot better and your workouts will definitely improve and be as good, if not better, then they have ever been.  

I am a regular runner and do core workouts and weights several times a week, am also a little older...(50)

I went for  a 10 km run in the weekend on an empty stomach, as I am quite used to running on an empty stomach as long as I  have water, but this was hard, ran out of steam after 6-7 km....

I guess I used to rely on the carbs from the night before to get through but now I am having minimal carbs at dinner time

after doing some reading here I realise I need to get used to eating fat and protein before hand, so will try the HB egg and some nuts next time and sweet potato plus protein for breakfast.

doing a core works and step class tonight, let's see how it goes. I am quite used to limiting my food so now I have to give myself permission to eat a bit more, lol!

I did a practice mini tri on day 3 and dragged badly. I could barely finish and my bike took 2x longer than it should. But the past 2 days I am back to normal speeds.. Day 8/9 so it does get better! Which is a good tng, since my race is this weekend.

Where do I find the Whole 30 guidance on what to eat pre- and post-workouts? I have ISWF but I haven't finished reading it yet. Is there a blog or something that i'm missing? Protein and fat beforehand, protein and carbs after?

How did I miss that? Thanks.

I'm on Day 6 and still feel like my muscles have no power. Went to yoga yesterday at lunch and felt pretty blah. This morning I ran and definitely felt blah.

I don't usually eat anything at all before my 5:30am runs since they're only 3 and 4 miles. Should I be eating something every time I work out? Eggs and turkey just don't sound appetizing to me at 5 am! Nothing sounds appetizing at 5 am. I always pick sleep over getting up early to eat!

Pre-W30 would eat a rice cake with peanut butter before longer runs on weekends. Yesterday I tried an Epic bar - bison, bacon, and cranberry - just to see if i liked them, and it was quite tasty. Would that be a good option before long runs?

Early AM workouts are definitely one of those "whatever works for you" things. If you're doing well and performing well when you train fasted, then don't worry about it.  If you feel like you can't get through the run, or you're starving, then do your best to get something (anything) in there before you head out.

I find I can happily head out for a short run or hill/sprint workout early morning without eating before hand- am on day 18 now and it feels easier than in the first week. I will eat something (eggs with bit of veg and some healthy fat) before a long run (anything more than 45 -60 minutes) or I will feel like I am running on empty. did a nice primal work out this morning- warm up jog- 7 hill sprints (on some steps in the bush), 50 squat, 30 dips, 15 push ups and jog home in the pouring rain ;)

Eating pre WO will hormonaly " wake you up". So a small meal like an egg or two is ideal.... Many ( myself include) do well in a fasted state). From my many years of training it's my experience that there is NO WAY you can fill up the tank in the 1/2-1 hour before a work out.... You need to top off the tank in your recovery stages ( immediately post, and your next two meals depending on duration and intensity of your WO)

So eating a larger meal Pre can backfire as you are expending energy digesting and then your body will abruptly shunt blood to your extremities during a workout, causing craps,nausea , etc. eat your sweet potatoes post WO!!! Lol. Or risk visiting crash and puke corner.

The time line is very applicable .... I believe most people who mess with the template/ ratio of food intake, do so at nearly the same times setting themselves up for failure:

Day one...."OMG can I do this? I'm starving...yeah let me at those cashews and raisins"

By day 6-7 "hey this isn't to bad but my belt is still to tight better cut way back on the food portions so I actually loose weight" ( coincides with the crash period)

Day 10-14. Really in the groove and following the template exactly... "Feeling really good" and by day 21 tiger blood!

Day 24 or so.... One week to go,feeling great " better cut back on portions so when I weight in I've lost tonnage ".

Day 26-27. Final crash and burn " I'm starving,I feel like crap... I'm going to eat everything in site in 3 more days"

OK... I know there are lots of hormonal things going on, and our bodies are adapting.... But I believe a lot of us ( guilty as charged)unknowingly sabotage ourselves ...... Consistency is the key. Forget about weightloss, don't worry about sports performance for the next few weeks and follow the meal templates exactly, recover and get your rest

I thought eating Fat pre workout is bad because it slows the absorption of the other nutrients. You usually need those other nutrients fast before a workout.....?? I know it says this in the guidelines but I'm still confused about it.

You need energy to workout - fuel, to make you go. Fat is fuel!

Fat is discouraged after a workout as it slows the absorption of protein and carbs that help with recovery. Getting these in quicker is important :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this - Morning looks like this:
Up at 4:00 AM

Feed/potty 2 dogs, get dressed, head to gym

CrossFit 5:00-6:00 AM

Working at job by 6:15 AM (work from home :) )

I just can't get food in me before I go.  I am fairly new to CrossFit and still out of condition.

I'll get some eggs boiled up later this week and try eating at least a half an egg when I get up.

Barb

Archived