Inflammation post second Whole30

I have just completed my second Whole30. The first was back in the Fall and I had amazing results, I lost a lot of inflammation that I didn't realize I had and gained back a lot of energy. After the first 30 days I took a month and did the autoimmune elimination diet and didn't notice a difference with many foods. We fell off track in the Spring for about a month or two while we were in the process of buying our first home and moving but finally got back on track in June with our second round of Whole30. Needless to say in the time we were off track I became inflamed again. As of mid July I have completed my second Whole30 and since have completely cut out coffee yet I am still swollen which leaves me uncomfortable most of the time in my clothes. I guess I am wondering if the inflammation can be attributed to our moving stress and trying to get settled or should I redo the elimination diet again? Or if anyone has had this happen or something similar and if so what they did? 

Thank you both for your input. I don't think I have consumed anything differently this time around other than more eggs for snacks in between meals, we make everything from scratch. The only things packaged are coconut milk and limited nuts and we always check the labels. Everything is pretty much the same as the Fall but maybe some more stress and now I am completely coffee free (the first round of Whole30 I allowed myself a cup a day) Any other thoughts? I am dragging my feet on trying the autoimmune elimination diet again because of the limitations but if necessary will try it again. Also thank you for the link Tom, we are always looking for new websites, thefoodee.com was a saving grace for our new lifestyle and not getting bored with food.

Are you having more fruit or different fruit? This is a common cause of bloating etc. Or more fat than usual??

Are you having more coconut or a different one? It can also have an effect on some people. I am also doing my third whole30 coffee free and making very slow progress reducing bloating and inflammation.... I have been wondering about eggs.... but haven't managed to exclude properly yet to test. My main intermittent symptom I am trying to fix is a persistent scalp rash.... could be stress, sweat, cocoa, nuts, coconut, eggs, fruit..... but I cant quite pin it down. Its probably a combination that I may not be able to resolve but at least I don't have to take medication for it any more so a big step forward.

I have really obvious inflammation when I'm not actively eating Whole30.  I've noticed that the longer I eat clean, the more I notice the inflammation that returns when I don't eat clean.  I've also noticed that I'm so aware of it that it feels really intense until it's absolutely all gone - and it can feel like all gone takes longer than 30 days now.  Even after a short time off of clean eating.  I think, really, that it's a matter of perspective.  When I first started Whole30 almost a year ago, I had no idea how much of what I thought was fat, was really inflammation.  I was extremely swollen.  So much so that I noticed drastic differences in my body each and every day of my very first Whole30.  I was simply letting go of inflammation at a really fast rate. 

Now fast-forward to today.  I ate two meals today that were not Whole30 compliant (err, not even a little bit).  That's OK for me right now, in that I'm not actively doing a Whole30.  I usually eat clean anyway, but I am moving and didn't plan for eating clean on the go, so I had non-compliant stuff.  I feel fiercely bloated and gloppy and agitated and depressed-ish.  After two meals.  I can't SEE visible inflammation anywhere except my belly, which is pooching out; but I feel swollen everywhere.  It will probably take a week for me not to feel that. 

See, so - before, with no frame of reference, anything other than extreme inflammation felt like relief.  Now, with non-inflammation being the normal bodily experience, any amount of it feels completely unacceptable.

That was really long.  :ph34r:   But if it helps then you're welcome.  :unsure::D

• 1 year later...

Hey Melbournegirl, I was wanting to comment on the scalp itching.  Be careful of fruits, If you have Candida (you may or not)  they will inflame this situation. Citrus is bad, Bananas, are so high in wonderful sugar that you can flare up the yeast by eating them.  Even one slice of orange can do it.  Eat berries instead.  I am just learning about whole 30 and am on my 15th day.  But I do know about Candida, you might want to keep some of those high carb items at a minimum.  Any way you may already know about Candida, if not look into it.

Archived