starting August 12

EricaV

I too started my first Whole30 on the 12th of Aug, after summer holidays, and after educating myself and reading as much as I could in these last few weeks.  However, I am so glad that this forum is here and that the recipes and blogs are online, as I have found myself with more and more questions actually "doing" the program, not just reading about it.  Putting it into action is a challenge, as I am the only one in my family of 4 doing it, and I'm celiac so have already been GF for >5 years.  Thanks for the forum, and the place to turn for support and meal/food ideas!!

Amy4health

I have celiac disease as well, but only diagnosed on May 29th. I'm hoping this challenge will help heal my gut! I'm contemplating the autoimmune challenge after I succeed with the Whole30. What about you?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing really well today. Went and picked Blackberries this morning and bought a box of fresh apples. We are eating a bit more fruit than we probably should be but it seems to be an easier snack for my husband to take with. He is really missing milk and sugar in his morning coffee. Everything else he says he doesnt mind to much. He feels worse than I do and the kiddos don't seem to be affected at all! A bit pickier on the fruit and veggies but that is normal so I just give them more choices.

Saw in a previous post homemade mayo? Any good references for a recipe?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Cristy

Home made mayo is the best thing ever - I use 1 egg, 2tblspn acid (lemon or vinegar), pinch of salt, compliant mustard (or replace with spices) and a light tasting EVOO.

if your husband needs snacks, perhaps you need to check his portion sizes - if he's eating enough, snacks shouldn't be necessary :) if he is getting starving hungry, try and get him to have a mini meal - perhaps make him some egg muffins so he gets his protein/fat/vegies in an easy way!

Home made mayo is the best thing ever - I use 1 egg, 2tblspn acid (lemon or vinegar), pinch of salt, compliant mustard (or replace with spices) and a light tasting EVOO.

if your husband needs snacks, perhaps you need to check his portion sizes - if he's eating enough, snacks shouldn't be necessary :) if he is getting starving hungry, try and get him to have a mini meal - perhaps make him some egg muffins so he gets his protein/fat/vegies in an easy way!

I have been watching the servings and I think he is getting enough. I think the problem with my husband is his hours. We eat breakfast at 7am and lunch at 12 and then don't see him for dinner until 8pm or later most nights. That 8+ hour is just too long to go without food and he is use to having easy (bad for you) snacks. I have been sending a cut up apple and nuts or some other type of fruit. He is usually in the field so any mini meal has to be edible cold. I will have to find some recipes for things like mini muffins :) Thank you for the idea!

Cristy

The Clothes Make The Girl mayo is awesome. On Whole 30 I make it every week. In fact I just had some smeared on tomatoes with my eggs. Yummy breakfast. There is a video with the recipe that is worth watching.

In Canada this is the best time of year to do this. The produce is all so fresh and yummy. And we just took delivery of a quarter of grass fed organic beef. Lucky for us, our best friends are beef farmers so the price is right, too.

No hangover yesterday or today. I fully expected it because of what I ate on the weekend. Apparently I was unable to throw out the junk food, so I just ate it. Bleh. Actually, I feel really good.

Random thoughts on Day 3. Have a good one all.

Oh, and thank you for starting this thread. It makes it all more reasonable.

Hi, I also starte my Whole 30 on Monday 12, and i staretd my paleo diet on friday last week! wow, its so fun, and what a amasing place this forum is! Good to see all the good comments and sharing, I`m from Norway btw, :) I feel a little unbalanced yet and my body still needs to adapt to this diet. `My reason is not that i have been living unhealthy, ÃŒv`e been on partly rae food diet for one and a half year, including a lots of superfood, and some meat. I just got to thin, and unbalanced, my hormone system is going crazy, my body eats my muscles, i`m sleepy and tierd all the time and have major cravings. Even though i dont eat sugar. So i found that i need to try something else to see if that works better for me and my body. And i am amased, for five days now since i started paleo, eating more meat and fats, my cravings are not so bad, I had craving after dinner yesterday, and i think that was my first.I feel full longer, and do not need to snack anymore. I cant wait to see how this will turn out to be! :) Gonna be cool to follow you guys and se how you will do!

Elise

Great job, everyone!

I *almost* stepped on the scale this morning before I was fully awake. lol Still not much of a hangover for me or Adam (just sleepy yesterday). I will have a test tonight as it is my Mom's Night Out. Usually it's centered around food, but we are getting pedicures tonight and food after (Panera Bread - bread is my downfall!). I'm taking my own dressing and getting a salad, though. I will, I will, I will! lol

Kids are doing so well! Both decided to eat dinner last night, even if they didn't like it (gasp!). They had both complained of being shaky yesterday and no wonder - they ate two bites of eggs for breakfast and our older one ate her applesauce for lunch (little one said, "I scarfed that down!" when I asked if he liked the meatballs). Our daughter figured out quickly that what and when you put into your body affects how you feel. So, instead of flat out refusing to eat what was on her plate, she picked around and found she really liked the beef/venison part of the dish and the cauliflower rice (so easy and pretty tasty!). Its a good start for her. Oh! She also likes hard boiled eggs (minus yolks) now! Woot!

Attempting avocado hummus and avocado deviled eggs this afternoon for snacks. Which reminds me, I know we shouldn't snack, but anyone else eat until they are full and are hungry two hours later? I haven't felt it until after dinnertime, which is our biggest meal. Maybe we're not getting enough protein or fat? We're all definitely eating enough veggies with it.

Had a complete homemade Mayo failure!! It was my own fault though I misread the directions. It worked well as a salad dressing though  :huh:  I will probably try again in a few days once I use this up.

I feel yucky today kind of like I am catching a cold. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Working on portions with the kids now, they seem to always be hungry, especially my 5 yr old. Luckily I have a bunch of healthy stuff he can eat now so I don't feel to bad about the snacking.

Hope everyone is getting through the day well!!

Cristy

Great job, everyone!

I *almost* stepped on the scale this morning before I was fully awake. lol Still not much of a hangover for me or Adam (just sleepy yesterday). I will have a test tonight as it is my Mom's Night Out. Usually it's centered around food, but we are getting pedicures tonight and food after (Panera Bread - bread is my downfall!). I'm taking my own dressing and getting a salad, though. I will, I will, I will! lol

Kids are doing so well! Both decided to eat dinner last night, even if they didn't like it (gasp!). They had both complained of being shaky yesterday and no wonder - they ate two bites of eggs for breakfast and our older one ate her applesauce for lunch (little one said, "I scarfed that down!" when I asked if he liked the meatballs). Our daughter figured out quickly that what and when you put into your body affects how you feel. So, instead of flat out refusing to eat what was on her plate, she picked around and found she really liked the beef/venison part of the dish and the cauliflower rice (so easy and pretty tasty!). Its a good start for her. Oh! She also likes hard boiled eggs (minus yolks) now! Woot!

Attempting avocado hummus and avocado deviled eggs this afternoon for snacks. Which reminds me, I know we shouldn't snack, but anyone else eat until they are full and are hungry two hours later? I haven't felt it until after dinnertime, which is our biggest meal. Maybe we're not getting enough protein or fat? We're all definitely eating enough veggies with it.

your kids are doing great!! so fantastic to hear theyre understanding why youre giving them this type of food and how important it is...even if they might prefer something else!

what are your protein and fat servings like? I don't get hungry after two hours - I eat lots of everything! it is the protein and fat that will have the biggest impact on your hunger levels though :)

Headache AND Kill All of the Things going on right now.

Perfect.

Sometimes it's just time to take the dogs up to bed with me, close the door and read a good book.

Even the dogs don't like me very much right now, though.

Good Night.

MEH.

Feeling a bit out of it/groggy/low energy this evening of Day 3.  I want to eat even though I'm not hungry... no cravings to speak of, just want to snack.  But I'm not going to!  Going to have some tea and read a book and go to bed early.  

Hang in there @kelliem!

I'm a little worried I'm eating too much--I had the most ENORMO (grass fed) pork chop tonight, along with some sauteed kale and some sauteed peppers and onions.  I am not used to eating this much meat and it feels weird.  Feels weird to be eating this much protein in general.  Does anyone else have that reaction?

Good night!

Hi everyone

I'm on day four. And I've already had my first rage fit before breakfast. :angry:  Met a friend for coffee (black ;-) at a coffeeshop before work and eased some steam. 

I tried making mayo yesterday and the whole thing worked fine... until I tasted it. Think my olive oil might be a bit off. Does anyone have a suggestion to what other oil I could use for mayo?

As I talked about with my friend, my body is sluggish, my mind is sharp and I have some short circuit problems between those two. Lucky for me a lot of people are offshore at work so I'm basically alone at work!  :)

Also, I'm feeling a bit dizzy today and my eczema is red and oozing...  

Blæ!!!

The time is 08:21 in the morning. I'll check in again at 10:00. Maybe the mood has improved.

One ray of sun; I've no problems with how I eat  B)

Trina

Hi everyone

I'm on day four. And I've already had my first rage fit before breakfast. :angry: Met a friend for coffee (black ;-) at a coffeeshop before work and eased some steam.

I tried making mayo yesterday and the whole thing worked fine... until I tasted it. Think my olive oil might be a bit off. Does anyone have a suggestion to what other oil I could use for mayo?

As I talked about with my friend, my body is sluggish, my mind is sharp and I have some short circuit problems between those two. Lucky for me a lot of people are offshore at work so I'm basically alone at work! :)

Also, I'm feeling a bit dizzy today and my eczema is red and oozing...

Blæ!!!

The time is 08:21 in the morning. I'll check in again at 10:00. Maybe the mood has improved.

One ray of sun; I've no problems with how I eat B)

Trina

Trina, the oil you use will make a huge difference to your mayo. EVOO is very strong tasting - possibly bitter? I use an EVOO labelled light tasting which is fine, although others recommend not using EV at all and just go for a light tasting OO :)

(I've also tried avo oil....yuck!)

Trina, the oil you use will make a huge difference to your mayo. EVOO is very strong tasting - possibly bitter? I use an EVOO labelled light tasting which is fine, although others recommend not using EV at all and just go for a light tasting OO :)

(I've also tried avo oil....yuck!)

Hi amber

I don't understand those abbreviations... Please clarify we normally don't use abbreviations that much in Norway.

T

@Everyone: Hi! I also started on the 12th but have not been able to check in here until now...

@ Trina: I would go for either Avocado or Macadamia oil.

(Used to use Walnut oil before, but after reading It Starts With Food I'm not so sure about that it's a super idea to consume that amount in one sitting as you do with mayo...an occasional drizzle should still be fine though.)

Anyway...I found two Norwegian online stores that sell organic, cold-pressed Avocado oil and Macadamia oil:

Avocado Oil:

http://www.docevika.no/products/avokadoolje-kologisk-uraffinert-kaldpresset-250ml

Macadamia Oil:

http://www.naturimport.no/product_info.php?products_id=318&osCsid=b20e54a46a3695b6d23387e37724dedd

Hope it helps! :)

@Everyone: Hi! I also started on the 12th but have not been able to check in here until now... @ Trina: I would go for either Avocado or Macadamia oil. (Used to use Walnut oil before, but after reading It Starts With Food I'm not so sure about that it's a super idea to consume that amount in one sitting as you do with mayo...an occasional drizzle should still be fine though.) Anyway...I found two Norwegian online stores that sell organic, cold-pressed Avocado oil and Macadamia oil: Avocado Oil: http://www.docevika.no/products/avokadoolje-kologisk-uraffinert-kaldpresset-250ml Macadamia Oil: http://www.naturimport.no/product_info.php?products_id=318&osCsid=b20e54a46a3695b6d23387e37724dedd

Than U. I'm so getting into making all from scratch so doing mayo and pesto and salsa is kind of my last frontier :) 

great to read everyone's updates, lots of good days! I admire you all out there doing this with the younger children, good for you.

My 14 year old eats what I serve at dinner time and loves the food, he has been making much better food choices lately (it helps to just not have the easy snacks in the house) and has not complained about missing out on his muesli bars. He makes his own lunch which is a wrap (grain...) so at least he fills it with lots of veges and protein and he says his friends are jealous! not sure if he will make the leap to no grain and dairy but he is certainly getting much less than before and same goes for hubby.

I am feeling very good on my 3 meals a day- they feel well balanced and satisfying and I am not hungry in between. Last night I was hungry at 10 pm, and would actually have eaten that steamed broccoli and fish but went to bed instead ;)

the snacking impulse is still there but I am not acting on it and quite happy with that, as I realise it's habit and not hunger.

coconut is my new best friend, especially in my long black as part of breakfast, love it.

I am also experimenting with the best pre and post work out foods, as I used to get soo hungry after a long ( one hour plus) run that I would overeat. I am finding the protein- starchy veg combination good post long run and a little protein and fat good pre- run instead of the old banana, toast and jellybeans routine.

keep sharing everyone, it helps!

Than U. I'm so getting into making all from scratch so doing mayo and pesto and salsa is kind of my last frontier :)

Everything is easier once they've been done a few times, so just keep it up! :)

To practice the from-scratch-doing, here's some inspiration on a home made salad you can do with your home made mayo, it keeps really well in the fridge too so you can bulk up! :)

http://strictlypaleoish.com/2013/06/30/creamy-zucchini-salad-with-green-apples-and-almonds/

(Note: If following the linked mayo recipe, just replace the walnut oil with avocado or macadamia oil, and exclude the truffle oil during your Whole30 (it's pretty much impossible to find one without artificial flavoring...it's so little required of it that usually I don't really worry about that, but during my Whole30 I am not using any truffle oil).

...oh, and read the lable of the dijon mustard to make sure it's clean.)

Still feeling successful.  I would suggest avocado on a hamburger.  I have eaten this the past two days and have it for lunch today.  It really is tasty and satisfying.  I'm glad to say that I will WANT to eat that regularly after my 30 days.  

I am concerned that I am eating too much fruit and not enough veggies.  Fruit is just more tasty for me.  I only brought veggies to work to day so I am going to force myself to choose them over the fruit.  Today is my first day back to work from summer vacation and everyone is planning happy hour after school but I am planning a workout.  Happy hour is one obstacle I am not ready to try to overcome just yet.  Still waiting for this eating style to become habit and not something that I have to contemplate so much everyday.  

Archived