ITCHY!!!!

Christina Cowell

I have had problems with itching all over my body for years. It's always worse at night and keeps me from sleeping. I always used Benadryl previously, but it's not W30 compliant of course. However, I've had to use it a few times anyway. Any ideas? It's not dry skin so lotions, coconut oil, baths don't help.

I believe the rule is that if your condition requires medication, you take it especially if recommended by your doctor.

Do you think the itching is somehow related to your diet? A whole 30 seems like it might be helpful, in that case, if you could find out what it is causing it and just avoid that food. Then you might not need the Benadryl.

Many of us take medication that isn't necessarily prescribed by GPs. Personally, I say, if you actually need it - and you obviously do, then take it. However, if an anti allergy medication is working, I'd keep an absolute strict diary of what I ate and what I came into contacy with to see if I could find any correlation with my symptoms. Have you tried speaking to your GP to see if they can suggest any cause? good luck with it anyway

That sounds like a nightmare and could be environmental rather than diet related . A couple of things I do for my asthmatic son is use anti-allergy bedding and pillows, wash bedding at 60 degrees regularly and pull back the bedding, open the window year round and let a blast of cold air in as dust mites don't like it. I would look into getting an allergy test done, though the decent ones are expensive. I hope you get relief, nothing more frustrating than itching skin.

I have had problems with itching all over my body for years. It's always worse at night and keeps me from sleeping. I always used Benadryl previously, but it's not W30 compliant of course. However, I've had to use it a few times anyway. Any ideas? It's not dry skin so lotions, coconut oil, baths don't help.

Christina, I've been itching for 20+ years. I've been to doctors all over the country and none could determine the source. (none ever suggested food surprisingly). I've been taking benedryl all this time. I thought a Whole30 and/or a whole30 antihistamine plan would help. I'm on day 29 of my first Whole30 now. (and am still cinsidering continuing another 30 on the low histamine plan) Initially, I thought the itching was getting less severe and even skipped a day needing benedryl around day 10. But then it came back with a vengeance and I've needed it daily since then.

I have other issues that have been improved since starting Whole30: hypertension, acne, depression so I'm choosing not to focus on the itching for now.

Best of luck to you.

You've probably already considered this, but have you tried to switching to cleaning and hygiene products without scents, SLS's, etc.? I have dermatographia and I find that it is exacerbated by chemicals such as these, as well as physical contact. I use soap nuts for my laundry and unscented, handmade body care products. It makes a huge difference.

I feel for you. I have itching problems. Mine is called aquagenic pruritus. It means water induced itch, but its developed into itching all the time. It's worse after I shower or sweat or at random times. Maybe some of my tricks will help you. Heat helps me a lot, but some people are helped by cold. I find that if I get the shower very hot at least at the end, my itching is better for up to 24 hours. Or a really hit bath. When I get an itch attack in the winter, I sit by a heater. Another thing that helps is dabbing on capsaicin. They sell it for people with arthritis. It interferes with the itch signal. It has a warming affect on the skin, so I recommend spot testing. If you itch all over, it probably won't help you. You won't want to apply it all over. Paleo does help me, but the itch is not gone. You might want to combine it with a low histamine or low salicylate diet. Some people have also been helped with iodine drops.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have had the itching issue in the past, though thankfully it has not been consistent. My doctor said something about my skin being thin and irritated at that point and after getting an allergy test, it was determined it is not an allergic reaction. I found mine was better temporarily after a shower. I tried using all scent free stuff and it didn't help. I tried moisturizing and it didn't help. I tried soaking in colloidal oatmeal and it helped a little, but not enough to be worth it.

Reactine every other day seemed to help for me and eventually it kind of went away on it's own. Why that worked even though it isn't an allergic reaction I have no idea, but it did. To this day I still have no idea what caused it in my case. I wasn't suffering from it on my last whole30, nor did it return once I went off it, so I don't know if diet could have had an effect or not.

• 3 years later...

For a couple of months prior to my W30 - I'm at day 9 now - I was getting severe itching on my ankles, shins and thighs.  Research suggested that is possible for diabetics with high blood sugar levels, but my levels have been fine.  A few days after starting W30, I started getting skin irritation and itching on my shoulders, chest and back.  I read about it being caused by toxins of former crap foods being released from the body.  And I got this before adding coconut oil and avacado to my meals, plus they haven't tested positive on my last allergy test.

Moisturizing lotion and calamine lotion give some relief.

Archived