keratosis pilaris success stories?

I was hoping to see  my keratosis piaris (bumps on the backs of my upper arms) start to wane. It's day 19 and there's basically no change. Just wondering if anyone here had success with a whole30 getting rid of KP. I've had it my whole life and it's not why I started the whole30, but would definitely be an added bonus and a more tangible result for sure :) 

I think you have to give it more time. I've read that taking fish oil supplements can help, and definitely a better diet would as well. Mine got a lot better when I treated my hypo thyroid. Also, you can do a chemical peel on the bumpy parts that than can help as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I get this on my thighs/back of my legs.

Three things I have done to combat it :

Whole 30

Shower scrubbing

Daily coconut oil application

It's really a lot better. Not completely gone, but I think really focusing on exfoliation via my loofah in the shower and consistently slathering coconut oil on once a day and has helped a ton!

*Start slow with coconut oil - some people break out terribly from it. I can't put it on my face, or I become one of them. ;)

I was told million times by dermatologists that it is not possible to cure. HA! Mine is 80% gone. My arms are almost smooth with very few red dots. It flares up whenever I eat something that doesn't agree with me (I am not even talking off roading, I just have a lot of sensitivities still like eggs) but it always comes back to normal. 

I did first whole30 in Jan. Eating 90% compliant since. Coconut oil and dry brushing. Occasional honey cleaning. Fermented Cod Liver Oil made huge difference (I guess vit D is the key). Some resources advise to apply it topically with primrose oil. I've never bothered, capsules work just fine for me. 

This is very interesting. I have a small case of this, and my son has it worse (for him, it is itchy). Can I ask where you find a dry brush?

It's the method - dry brushing. You can use any brush or loofah. Go for softer one for the kid I guess. 

I've had this my whole life and didn't know what it was called (or even that it had a name!) until a few weeks ago while researching fermented cod liver oil and reading reviews on amazon. One review said that taking double the reccomended dose of the cod liver oil for a month got rid of her keratosis pilaris. I'm hoping it will not only get rid of that, but help my psoriasis as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a mild case and I noticed that when I did the AI protocol it got much better, as in, the bumps were gone. Then, when I added back in nuts it started coming back again. 

I also got a sugar scrub with coconut oil and use it daily. It does help!

• 2 months later...

That's intriguing, I reside in FL and have the worst looking status I've ever glimpsed. It's on my legs and all over my arms and has only been getting worse over the years. I read that like most things, it's hereditary, and it turns out my Mother has it. I can scarcely glimpse hers though, so why do I have it so bad/so much? residing out of warm clean rooms is a good tilt, but furthermore kp seems to get poorer in any farthest heat. I endeavoured the Eucerin proposed overhead and had no luck. utilised it religiously too. I furthermore endeavoured Am-Lactin but I believe I chose the incorrect one-it stunk alarming but some individuals believe this product is the best. I utilised 2 of the 3 DermaDoctor goods for KP, and continue to use the scrub. These products are exorbitant, especially considering the elite reaches in a little tube. The exfoliating scrub is attractive large-scale and lasts a long time though, so I accept as true overall it's cheap. Just desire I could use a pleasing sugar or saline scrub afresh as all the KP items either smell alarming or have no odor at all. Still wondering if I do swap back to a more delight scrub if my skin's status will worsen. comical, I eventually coordinated the Glytone kit and it just reached a twosome of days before. The body lotion (17.5% Free Glycolic unpleasant) stinks for 30 seconds and has the Eucerin fix texture but a little wider. The exfoliating body wash (8.8% Free Glycolic unpleasant) has the stink of the primary pink Olay moisturizer so it's not alarming, but I'm still missing my shower aromatherapy. I haven't seen enhancement, but It's only been a twosome days.  the Keratosis Pilaris treatment work!!

Good to hear everyone's experience with this. I have KP too, on my upper arms, upper legs, butt, and upper back and shoulders. A little on my cheeks that that was worse when I was a child. When I was 12 I actually took sandpaper to my upper arms and really did some damage. Have tried the stinky Rx products, but have essentially given up (bigger fish to fry at the moment).

It almost disappeared completely when I was on malaria prophylaxis for 2 months in the fall (low dose daily doxycycline) and that was lovely, but of course that's not a long term solution. I was sad to have it return after the meds ended  :(.

Maybe now it's back on my radar because of this thread. Sigh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Whole30 Nutrition program promotes fast absorption. When we take in the right kind of food, all the nutrition gets in faster into the system. In my case, it has become a support to make sure I've got nothing to trigger my Keratosis while I am on treatment.

I always favor external treatment (topical creams), This time, I am using the most effective so far. I had Actinic Keratosis for several years now and it is only recently that I noticed obvious changes in the way it look. I ordered a cream (at srlotion.com) per my friend's advice - it's called SR Lotion. From the way it renews the skin after two weeks of religious application, I could say, this is it. I still have few bumps under my arms but it's minimal.   SR Lotion will  then be a part of my success story together with Whole30.

• 2 weeks later...

I did first whole30 in Jan. Eating 90% compliant since. Coconut oil and dry brushing. Occasional honey cleaning. Fermented Cod Liver Oil made huge difference (I guess vit D is the key). Some resources advise to apply it topically with primrose oil. I've never bothered, capsules work just fine for me. 

I remember reading once that KP can be a symptom of vitamin A deficiency which is another nutrient that cod liver oil is a good source for.

Correct. I actually eat it time to time (Easter euro love weird food hehe). I have been taking supplements (fermented cod liver oil) and it was better for sure. That being said it only clears up completely when I am whole30 compliant or I have an extended exposure to sun. 

Archived