I know that food template says serving of fat is half avocado, tablespoon of other fat. I see many people saying they use more fat than that. Do you eat more than one avocado per day. Please give me some examples. I want to feel more satisfied with my meals but I'm afraid I will be overdoing it.

Thanks

I don't eat avocado because I don't think it agrees with me - I eat plenty of other fat though!

Mayo is probably my favourite way to add fat - ill have 2-3 heaped teaspoons on my salad, or on my breakfast or steamed vegies etc.

also coconut milk in curries, or on fruit, or coconut butter and oil stirred through warm vegies.

You should eat enough to feel satisfied at each meal, and to give yourself the energy to last til

Your next meal. If that involves a whole avo, have a whole avo!

During my June W30, I ate an avocado almost daily.  I found that meal to meal my fat intake varied (sometimes on the high end of the template and sometimes on the low end).  I often had several fat sources during a meal (for example, tuna salad with homemade mayo and olives + mixed greens salad with toasted almonds + EVOO in the vinaigrette).  I just tried to mix it up as much as possible. 

New favourite combinations included: Melissa Joulwan's Chocolate Chili with lots of olives, coffee blended with coconut oil, and adding coconut milk to pretty much any sauteed veg to make curries.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brand new to the forum. I read the Kindle version of the book but it's difficult to find where the food template is in the book due to the format. Does anyone know if it's available on the forum or on the site?

I have been doing what I think is the Whole 30 for 4 days but may not be adhering completely. 

I know my meals are on target, but in some of the posts I've read on the forum apparently I should not have anything in between meals like a grapefruit or a few nuts. 

Can anyone clarify this for me? 

Thanks Kathy60

The meal template is 1-2 palm sizes of protein, then FILL you plate with veggies (2-3 c), and 1-2 thumbs (or more but never less) of fat. You are aiming for three meals per day. If you are hungry between meals it is a sign that you meal was prob not large enough and you should adjust your portions as needed. If you are truly hungry though ( not just craving, bored, sad, etc) then eat a mini meal that includes protein, fat and veggies...not " snacks". You should not eat fruit or veggies alone, they shound have another macronutrients ith it. Feel free to include 1-2 servings of fruit per day WITH a meal.

The meal template is 1-2 palm sizes of protein, then FILL you plate with veggies (2-3 c), and 1-2 thumbs (or more but never less) of fat. You are aiming for three meals per day. If you are hungry between meals it is a sign that you meal was prob not large enough and you should adjust your portions as needed. If you are truly hungry though ( not just craving, bored, sad, etc) then eat a mini meal that includes protein, fat and veggies...not " snacks". You should not eat fruit or veggies alone, they shound have another macronutrients ith it. Feel free to include 1-2 servings of fruit per day WITH a meal.

Fat portions depend on the fat source- you can have a lot more avo than oil for example...

Here's the template:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

There's also a shopping list that's quite handy!

• 4 weeks later...

Three meals a day without snacks?  When I was bodybuilding and eating clean, I would eat 5-6 small, squeaky clean meals per day.  Going down to 3 meals scares me a little.  Can you point me to where I can find the nuts and bolts about following W30?  I'm planning to start this weekend, and have bought lots of food and ingredients to do some cook-ups (is that what Melissa calls them?).

I eat an avocado a day (1/2 an avocado twice a day for the fat source of two of the three meals). I've done it every day with no problems nor weight gain (I am on day 32 so I weighed myself yesterday). I also use cooking fat in addition to the avocado.

Kathy 60 and Lori VT, the meal template and details are in chapter 16 of the book.

Three meals a day without snacks? When I was bodybuilding and eating clean, I would eat 5-6 small, squeaky clean meals per day. Going down to 3 meals scares me a little. Can you point me to where I can find the nuts and bolts about following W30? I'm planning to start this weekend, and have bought lots of food and ingredients to do some cook-ups (is that what Melissa calls them?).

http://www.whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

This page has lots of great info, including the links to a meal template, shopping lists, timeline etc.

3 meals isn't as hard as you think - just make your meals big (overestimate for a few days so you either a) finish the meal and last through, or b.) don't finish and have a mini meal of leftovers (an appropriate "snack" if you're absolutely starving)

I went from 3-4 years of 5-7 meals a day to 3 when I started my whole 30. I didn't allow snacks - if I planned them I would have eaten them! I still follow the same template...and I'm still bodybuilding :D

• 4 months later...

I eat sometimes two whole avocado a day because it really satisfies me. I have debated if it is too much but it follows the guidelines so I stopped over thinking it. I find if I don't have enough fat then I get too hungry. I am on day 19 of the 30. This is my third attempt to complete it and I will this time. The first two attempts were honestly related to it being a trying to lose weight thing (also because it makes me feel great without dairy and wheat) and made it to day 21 and day 10-11. This time is different as I am working through some of my food issues. Nothing major but trying to not lean on food when I am tired or as an award. This time around I have opened my eyes to my relationship with food. I still have a way to go and also realize nuts are an issue for me as I have used them to snack. But I am learning as I go.

So back to avocado... I use more when I feel like I need it and less when I don't. If I listen to my body that will let me know what I need.

My dinner lastnight included 2 slices of bacon (counts as fat on a whole30, even though mine was fairly meaty for bacon), and about a 1/4c of an avocado mayonaise, basically I mashed up 2 whole avocados with about 1/2 c. mayo and a little salt and lemon juice. That's probably at least 3 or 4 times more fat than the template suggests, but man was it delicious! 

I never add sliced avocado to every meal, or make sure I have nuts or whatever. If I think a meal would benefit from the addition of avocado or nuts (guac? avo mayo? Toasted nuts ontop of a curry or salad?) I will add them, but I never make sure I have them with EVERY meal. I just don't shy away from fat. Some of my meals have a lot more fat than others, of course, but generally I just don't worry about it because I never use anything that's "low fat"

I use lots of cooking fat, lots of fat in salad dressings, use fatty cuts of meat, etc. and call it good.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived