nervous about starting!

alissafoo

Hi!  I am SO nervous about not being able to sustain this plan and failing at something yet again. I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux, and, in addition to my post nasal drip, allergies, fatigue, obstructive sleep apnea and various other ailments, I feel like it's time to make a change.   My doctor simply prescribed prilosec for the reflux, but I do not want to be on yet another medication- I am only 31!  I'm hoping this plan can help solve some of my issues and am drawing on all stores of resolve, and hopefully support from you guys, to be able to get through it!

Failing would be eating something non-compliant then giving up! Many people keep at it despite of minor setbacks, they simply extend their whole 30!!

When you start to feel good, it'll make sticking to the guidelines a lot easier :) sticking to the guidelines will also make you feel good!

Good luck!

alissafoo you can so do this as i was reading what you wrote you described me to a T. I have all the same exact issues. I have only been on this plan for a few days and im not going to lie its been a little tough but its slowly getting easier!! you just have to make sure all of your food is prepped and ready to go!!!!! good luck to you:)

Thank you so much you guys! I just woke up to day 1 and am ready to start my day- have cleaned out my cupboards, fridge and freezer tonight (will donate the food) and plan on thinking about first week meals during the day at work to create my shopping list (for right after work shopping).  Do you guys know if there are ANY pre-made frozen veggie burgers that are plan-approved? 

Jen_oro:  You can do it too! Feel free to message me any time for support from someone on the same page (but a few days behind).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi amberino, sorry just saw this. I'm not a vegetarian.  Veggie burgers were always something quick, easy and "healthy" that I always went to in a pinch.  I would still love to be able to make my own but I now know after reading labels, all the reasons why the frozen ones aren't compliant. Come to think of it, I now know A LOT more about compliancy, eleven days later.

Just wanted to add in my $0.02 here - my hubby had your same symptoms! Clearing throat continually, to the point of choking as he was doing it. That was his breaking point - the choking.

My research came up with possible LPR (laryngo-pharangeal reflux, aka silent reflux). No, he didn't get his throat scoped to confirm. But looking further into reflux in general showed it can be a symptom of gut dysbiosis (not enough/the wrong kind of gut flora). I asked him when it started, and he said that it was after a round of antibiotics for cellulitis in his toe after breaking it and not getting it treated during training. Boys. *shakes head*

I showed all of that to him and we discussed trying a probiotic. I chose Bio-Kult personally, with 14 strains and several billion per pill, thought I might've chosen something different if we hadn't both been working full time and with less time for research (haven't done any more research lately as we're happy with the results). We took one a day together and, after the initial gut warfare moments (seriously...it can be a little fragrant...and there's no doubt in anyone's mind about what's going on), his throat clearing was diminished. He still does clear his throat, but only when it should be needed - after eating/drinking too much dairy (especially ice cream), when he's sick or has allergies, etc. 

Yes, this is anecdotal at best. BUT...it's better than being on meds the rest of your life (once you get your guts cultured, you can maintain with only taking them when you need them and eating probiotic foods to supplement.

MrsStick- I JUST read about LRP like two days ago!! I was doing a lot of research and just googled "Acid reflux with no heartburn" and it came up! Why didn't anyone tell me that?  I started taking digestive enzymes AND I also stopped eating eggs, because my largest flare up came two days ago, when I had eaten 8 eggs and no other reflux "trigger foods" so I think low acid was my problem combined with a sensitivity to eggs.  So, I started taking digestive enzymes with large protein meals but haven't started on probiotics yet. Can I ask how many you/your husband take and at what time (with meals, etc.)?  Even if just anecdotal, your story makes me feel so much more hopeful that I'm doing the right thing by continuing not to take meds!

We took Bio-Kult: http://www.bio-kult.com/, just the regular type.

We took one pill per day immediately following breakfast for several years. At this point we just take them when we feel off. I'll take them with a Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsule any time I feel the slightest hint of a sore throat or runny/stuffed nose and haven't had anything in quite a while (read: last cold was over 4 months ago; last stomach problem was after eating a bunch of noncompliant food at an all-day BBQ party where the food stayed out a little longer than it probably should have...definitely food poisoning, based on the extreme skin sensitivity along with diarrhea). 

Good luck - I really hope this helps you out!

Have you ever tried Betaine HCL? I started to take some yesterday, and I felt like it really helped in the comfort of my throat/clearing, but then I broke out in one large hive, which I thought was strange... I couldn't find anything about allergic reactions in my internet searches, so I'm not sure what the heck could have caused it....

Archived