Fruit?

rachel30

I have heard some people say to limit fruit or use sparingly. It's peach season here and I eat a fresh, ripe peach almost every day. Usually with lunch and after I've finished my meat, veggies & fat.

I *do* treat it like a dessert. I love something sweet after my meal. I guess this is where the idea of the "slippery slope" comes in. But, since I never ate candy or added-sugar treats and always had fruits for my after lunch or dinner sweet, I'm not all that worried that I'll be tempted to start eating pixie sticks for lunch.

I'm wondering how others use fruit as part of their Whole30 meal plan.

FYI: I'm on Day 5 and feeling pretty great.

I'm on day 26 and it's been peach season here for my entire Whole30. I've eaten quite a few - not every day, but more days than not! I always eat it in a dish (tomato peach salad - so good!) or with a meal, though. But like you, I don't have a daily chocolate habit or anything else dessert-y I'm trying to break. I've also eaten some apples with almond butter as part of breakfast or a snack (with protein as a mini-meal), and eat bananas as part of a post-workout meal.

Basically, I tend to stick to the recommended 1-2 servings or fruit a day and that's been fine for me. It hasn't made me want cake.

On a Whole30, it's perfectly fine to have a piece of fruit immediately following a meal. Especially now when so many terrific fruits are in season!

Enjoy your lunch-time peaches!

I have fruit with or immediately after my meal if I'm extra hungry or have a favorite fruit on hand.  I'm a nectarine freak, so always have those around this time of year.

So glad to read this post. I love fruit and usually eat it after a meal instead of *whispering* ice cream.  My BF is a hardcore Paleo person and he told me no fruit.  I kinda freaked out because I love to eat grapes, apples, pears, peaches and raisins.  

I haven't started my 2nd Whole30 yet, but I've been haphazardly following it and I've noticed on days when I have a piece of fruit (big juicy peaches in our weekly CSA) with my breakfast that I don't actually crave sugar any the rest of the day. When I don't have the fruit in the morning I crave sugar like crazy! Strange, huh?

I do fruit in my meals--grapes in broccoli salad, blue berries in pork salad, apples in sweet potato hash... but I have never really been a fruit person, much more of a savory person--although I love watermelon with salt, but it is a no break food for me :(

I haven't started my 2nd Whole30 yet, but I've been haphazardly following it and I've noticed on days when I have a piece of fruit (big juicy peaches in our weekly CSA) with my breakfast that I don't actually crave sugar any the rest of the day. When I don't have the fruit in the morning I crave sugar like crazy! Strange, huh?

Oh, Mary, I'm so glad you said this. I am the same way! I thought I was nuts.

Fruit is a slippery slope for me, so I try to have it at the start of a meal rather than the end. One day I sat down to a plate of bacon, eggs, spinach, tomato, strawberries and cantaloupe and ate the the fruit like it was veges, felt strange but I was proud of myself in a weird way for breaking old conventions

I started my Whole30 today...I too am confused about the fruit.  I dont usually have it with a meal.  I have it a couple hours after a meal. I guess you can say as a snack.  Am I not going about this the right way?  Should I have something else if I am having a snack?  Sorry, newbie questions. :unsure:

If you're really hungry, go ahead and snack, but snacks should be a mini-meal - having protein and fat will help keep you satisfied. The idea is to not eat something just because it's there or crunchy/sweet/whatever, but because you're really hungry. One common "test" is to ask whether you'd happily eat steamed fish and broccoli - if you would, eat! But make sure you include protein and fat. If not, think about whether you're just craving something.

Because it's fruit season and we get a fruit CSA and veg CSA, I ate a lot of fruit on my Whole 30. I didn't want our fruit to go to waste! Sometimes I'd eat it with the meal (peaches, plums, pluots, apples, or pears on my salads or grilled peaches with my lamb shoulder chops), sometimes right before or after my meals. But I also don't feel like it was feeding a sugar dragon, and it didn't lead me to binge on fruit or anything else all day long.

I think it's a YMMV sort of thing. If it's feeding your dragon, cut back or try to incorporate it differently into your meals. If it's not feeding your dragon, enjoy your seasonal fruit! Now, to plot how I'm going to get through 2 pounds of very ripe peaches before they go bad...

I started my Whole30 today...I too am confused about the fruit. I dont usually have it with a meal. I have it a couple hours after a meal. I guess you can say as a snack. Am I not going about this the right way? Should I have something else if I am having a snack? Sorry, newbie questions. :unsure:

Snacking isn't encouraged during your whole 30, but if you're starving between meals try and go for a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies over fruit. You should be able to go between meals without hunger, so your meal portions, especially the protein and fat, may need adjusting.

Fruit is ok on a whole 30 - some people avoid it as they use it to satisfy sweet/sugar cravings. Enjoy your fruit, have it with your meal - I usually have it straight after my meal - and don't let it push vegies off your plate!

The goal is to stick to three meals, but the first week of my Whole30 I would get ravenous between meals. My insulin and hunger mechanisms were all messed up. That's when it's perfectly fine to have the mini-meals. By the second or third week, I was able to go without snacking. I finished my Whole30 last week; yesterday, due to a confluence of events, it was about 7.5 hours between lunch and dinner for me (I did have a compliant Larabar in there - not recommended, but I had one for just such an "emergency"). I was definitely hungry, but I didn't get the angry, cranky, must-eat-now feeling that I used to get, which was pretty awesome.

And yep, if you crave something sweet and then eat something sweet, you're just feeding the craving! That was a revelation for me - my sweet tooth isn't bad, but I love salty snacks, and it's the same principle.

The goal is to stick to three meals, but the first week of my Whole30 I would get ravenous between meals. My insulin and hunger mechanisms were all messed up. That's when it's perfectly fine to have the mini-meals. By the second or third week, I was able to go without snacking. I finished my Whole30 last week; yesterday, due to a confluence of events, it was about 7.5 hours between lunch and dinner for me (I did have a compliant Larabar in there - not recommended, but I had one for just such an "emergency"). I was definitely hungry, but I didn't get the angry, cranky, must-eat-now feeling that I used to get, which was pretty awesome.

And yep, if you crave something sweet and then eat something sweet, you're just feeding the craving! That was a revelation for me - my sweet tooth isn't bad, but I love salty snacks, and it's the same principle.

Thanks so much...this really helps.  I have the book, but I wanted to get started quickly and I did not have a chance to read it all.  I am learning as I go and read a bit each night.  Again, thank you for your support...it's very much appreciated.

Archived