Ph question

knash

Seriously Tom is that your reply? I don't really give a crap if you think science has moved past this.  As a newcomer I asked a question because I was curious if anyone had a example, I Still am. Like they say,  "free advice is worth what you paid for it"

Knash, Chris Kresser wrote a two part article on the studies about ph that he reviewed. I can't link them using Tapatalk, but if you Google Chris Kresser PH Myth part 1 and Acidic/Alkali Part Two, you will see why Tom said what he said. W30 literally has no PH marker and I think if you read these two very indepth articles, it will help you.

Knash,

I'm sorry if you felt "brushed off" by Tom - but keep in mind that Tom is one of the sweetest, most helpful moderators on this forum - so I'm sure he didn't intend to anger you. As a newcomer, I had tons of questions - so I'm glad that you're here using this great forum! Just know that the moderators are awesome - and if you feel like an answer you get from them is not adequate, I'd suggest politely telling them so and asking a follow-up question - they are always quick to respond.

Good luck with your Whole30!

pH level of what?? Blood, urine the water you are drinking?

There is no "average" level as far as your blood is concerned. Your body maintains the blood pH between 7.35 and 7.45 regardless of what you eat or drink.

Before I was in remission I attempted to maintain eating habits to keep my ph low. My body did not seem to self regulate but was regulated by my diet. The reason I asked this question originally was that If the whole30 created a situation I would rather avoid I would have not given further consideration to it. (something I should have done before I started) Thank you for the information and information from http://chriskresser.com/beyondpaleo I find it really informative and will continue to be a skeptic as every different approach has its bias. If it will politics I would just blindly follow the party of my choice and let them choose what they think is good for me. Anyone here practice this method? Still curious as what whole 30 followers ph levels are. I'm 10 days in to W30 so I'll take a few readings in about 20 more days and let you know. Thank you all for your help.

knash- these are the right links:

http://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1

http://chriskresser.com/the-acid-alkaline-myth-part-2

The conclusion: I don't deny that many people have seen significant health improvements when switching to an alkaline diet, but there are many possible reasons for this not having to do with pH balance. Eating more fresh produce is rarely a bad idea, especially when it displaces nutrient poor processed foods. A person switching to an alkaline diet would significantly reduce their consumption of grains, which could cause dramatic health improvements for somebody with a leaky gut or gluten sensitivity. Dairy would also be minimized, which would help those with dairy sensitivities. And although pure sugar isn't an acid-forming nutrient, many laypeople claim that it is, so alkaline diets tend to contain far less sugar than a standard Western diet.

In my opinion, the parts of eating an alkaline diet that have the most benefit are consistent with the whole30 framework (eating more vegetables and less grains, dairy and sugar), so there wouldn't be much of a conflict between the two approaches for me.

That said, if your approach to eating an alkaline diet involves avoiding meat and ingesting lots of green smoothies and expensive alkaline water...I would encourage you to research and think on the matter more. Perhaps a test of 30 days eating whole30, then 30 days eating "alkaline" would be a more meaningful test vs. comparing eating "alkaline" to eating a Standard American Diet.

I assume you are measuring your urine pH. This does not reflect your blood pH, in anyway; although it( urine pH) will definitely change based on what you are eating. This link sites good science to disprove the myth of the alkaline diet:

http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/your-urine-is-not-a-window-to-your-body-ph-balancing-a-failed-hypothesis/

I agree with missmary, that the components of an alkaline diet that are making you healthier are doing so because they ARE healthier foods and not related to their alkalinity and are compatible with the Whole30.

Eat well & be well!

Archived