Headache, Lightheadedness in Afternoon, Heart Pounding After Meals

Ok, I am 16 days in.  For the past three or four days, I've been bothered by hypoglycemic symptoms in the afternoon and at every meal.  First piece of information I think might be relevant is that I have Hashimoto's.  I've had it more than 15 years and it's always been well controlled with levothyroxine.  Second bit of information is that about 5 years ago, I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  Although my stomach is much larger than it was, I still can't hold a load of food at a time.  Pretty much 4oz protein and a cup of cooked vegetables (a little more if it is salad) is what I can contain in a meal.  And my meals are slathered in fat.  I eat at least a tablespoon of homemade mayo with every meal, and I'm not afraid of fatty cuts of meat.  Most days, I am weak and ravenous well before the 4-5 hour mark after lunch.  My energy peak for the day has become around 2:00pm, and by 4:00 I have a headache and feel weak.  By then, even if I eat a little something, I can't turn the feeling around.  For example, right now I am typing with the headache that started at 4.

I am presently 40lb overweight and can't imagine that I don't have enough fat to burn.  

Today I ate:

1 cup black coffee

two eggs w/mayo

about 4 oz chicken breast with mayo wrapped in lettuce.

at 3:30, I had celery sticks dipped in, you guessed it, mayo, and half a banana.

Dinner was steak and about a cup of sauteed kale, squash, onions with a nice fatty sauce.

After every meal, I am very full and my heart pounds.  What the heck is going on?

I'm not sure about the medical issues, but I don't think you're eating nearly enough through the day! Your breakfast has no vegies, 2 eggs probably isn't sufficient protein, and a tablespoon of mayo isn't, IMO, a lot of fat!

4oz of chicken is also minimal, and I know you said you have a smaller stomach, but are you able to handle some more vegies?

Having more meals (4-5), especially if you can't fit in a lot of food per sitting, is a great idea - make sure they fit the template though. Protein, fat and vegies!

I want to second what Amberino said.  Every time you eat, you need to put a little protein, fat, and veg.  I see you had only one or two of these things at some times.

Since you probably can't get in enough food at 3 meals, make it 4 or 5 and make them look like meals.

One last thing, you can probably get a little more in if you cook your veggies.  Some sort of sauteed anything will hold you over a lot longer than lettuce will.

I am not sure about the pounding heart, but I do hope you feel better soon!

If your symptoms are recent, any chance you're close to your period? When I see people that have sudden hypoglycemia symptoms, it's often right before their period, which is when the body needs a higher amount of energy/carbs.

You have some other things going on so perhaps that's not it, but figured I'd throw it out there in case!

Thank you everyone for your input!  I'm wondering if I increase the fat at mealtime if I will do better?  I will try try try to eat more veggie at mealtime, but it will mean less protein.  I was thinking more meals might make sense, but I was worried about interfering with my hormone function in the 4-5 hour window? 

The reason I included the Hashimoto fact was that it feels a bit like when I had the thyroid symptoms before being treated, and if my immune system is improving, maybe I need less medication?  I know, I need to go to the doctor for that.  Plus, Occam's razor.  The most simple solution is probably the correct one!

Angela - if you haven't checked in with your doc on your medications, now sounds like the time to do it! That would be my first thought. Then, like others said, aim for 4 or 5 balanced meals per day (even if they're smaller for awhile) and gradually work to increase the amount you can eat in a sitting. 

Hope to hear you're feeling better soon!

Archived