iloveartichokes' WHOLE30 photo log (started Monday, 7/16/2012)

iloveartichokes

Turned out awesome! Dinner is served! (and singles for lunch all week....!) My vegetarian daughter has gone vegan for the summer, so I made a small pot of vegetable soup and made up a couple singles for her also. I feel so domestic! haha!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness... your photo food log is awesome!! I love that you present your meals so nicely. I need to make zucchini bacon frittata and buy pistachios! :)

Have you modified your food much from what you were eating pre Whole30? You just seem to put together your meals so well!!

Thank you! And, yes, I have definitely modified my food since pre-Whole30, but I have done paleo (w/ cheats) before. Just before Whole30 I was eating a lot of take-out and fast food, replacing a meal here and there with candy and a soda...yes, it was that bad! But I have always loved to cook, so I guess I have that going for me. I know HOW to make healthy food, it's just a matter of choosing that over junk! I actually find cooking for Whole30 much more enjoyable than pre-Whole30 cooking. The "rules" are simple enough that it allows me to be more creative. I just aim for the big 3 - protein, vegetable, fat. I try to think of fruit and nuts as add-ons (fruit if I feel like it, nuts if I feel extra hungry). I love to play around with herbs and spices, and I love adding bacon to just about anything :) Before Whole30 it seems like there were so many other options it was sometimes mind boggling...what starch to add? what cheese? will that cheese go with that protein? will beans and starch be too many carbs? am I really hungry enough for a veggie? I really like the simplicity of Whole30 cooking, and the options are delicious! This is the only "diet" (for lack of a better word) that has ever truly fulfilled me :)

Day 8, Meal 3...beef and veggie stew, watermelon, pistachios (not pictured), banana w/ almond butter (not pictured)

Too much fruit today, I know, but I had a stressful day at work which led to intense cravings (really wanted some chocolate chip waffles!)...almost wanted to give up :(

Day08_Meal3.jpg

I learned to make frittata from the book "How to Cook Everything" by Bittman (awesome book, I reference it ALL the time). Frittata is really simple, but you need a cast iron skillet (got mine at Target for $20) or at least one that can go in the oven (no plastic-handled skillets!). Here's what to do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Turn the stove on med-low and let your cast iron skillet warm up, when warm add coconut oil or ghee, let it melt and spread it around the pan to coat the bottom.

In the meantime, put these in a medium-sized mixing bowl:

6 eggs

About 1/2 cup cooked protein (chicken, fish, whatever you want)

About 1/2 to 1 cup veggie (cooking greens like kale, chard, spinach...summer squash, zucchini, asparagus, artichoke, be creative!)

About a tsp. of garlic powder

About 1-2 tsp. of any other spices or herbs you like (chili powder/cumin for Mex flavor, oregano/rosemary/thyme for Italian, or cajun, or Asian, the sky's the limit!)

Salt and pepper, to taste

Gently stir it all together (you don't want to "whip" the eggs).

Pour the mixture into the hot pan. Don't touch the mixture again for 10 minutes (no stirring, flipping, etc.)

After 10 min. put it in the oven for until the top is set. Recipe in the book says 10-20 min, but check every 5 min. because mine is usually done after about 5-10 min. Depends I guess on how hot your stove was.

Eat hot or cold! :)

Day 10, Meal 2...water (not by choice, planned to go home for lunch, but work was in chaos and I couldn't leave...not cool)

Day 10, Meal 3...Okinawa spinach and chicken salad w/ avocado dressing, banana w/ almond butter, pistachios (went a little nuts on the nuts, I know, but I was starving and stressed)

Day10_Meal3.jpg

Crazy schedule lately. Just now getting a chance to log my meals for the day. If I can eat Whole30 during these stressful, busy times I feel like I could do it through anything. Trying to see the bright side.

Day 11, Meal 1...banana and almond butter (I'm taking my stress out on fruit and nut butter, I need to quit it)

Day11_Meal1.jpg

Day 11, Meal 2...leftover roast beef w/ paleo mayo, apple w/ almond butter

Day11_Meal2.jpg

Day 11, Meal 3...Moroccan meatballs (recipe from Well Fed..delicious!!), roasted butternut squash/coconut soup, banana w/ almond butter, blueberries, lemon water (I'm officially out of bananas, and I'm not buying any more for a while)

Day11_Meal3.jpg

Day 13, Meal 1...scrambled eggs, bacon, coconut water

Day13_Meal1.jpg

Day 13, Meal 2...chicken veggie stew, pistachios, coconut water

Day13_Meal2a.jpg

Day13_Meal2b.jpg

Day 13, Meal 3...made it through my first bday party while on W30! Didn't have cake! Instead, I had chicken breast meat, a sweet potato w/ bacon, mussels, crab legs, blueberries, strawberries, and cherries. Pretty good party! (didn't get a picture of the meal; thought people would think I was weird, haha)

Day 14, Meal 1...slept in really late and decided to wait for Meal 2

Day 14, Meal 2...roasted chicken breast, cashews, butternut squash & coconut soup, strawberries, kombucha

Day14_Meal2.jpg

Day 14, Meal 3...green salad w/ viniagrette (not pictured), steak, artichoke w/ viniagrette, green beans, fresh cherries (not pictured)

Day14_Meal3.jpg

Archived