Cauliflower Soup

kb0426

I adore Melissa Joulwan's Golden Cauliflower Soup.  The challenge, however, is that I don't always have beef broth on hand.  I won't buy any in the store; I have become a snob. Here is her recipe in case you are interested.  http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

So,  when I recently came across this recipe that uses very few ingredients and just plain water, I had to give it a try.

http://food52.com/recipes/15247-paul-bertolli-s-cauliflower-soup?from_related=1&related_src_type=recipe

I am so glad I did!

All you need is olive oil (go for coconut if you prefer), onion, cauliflower, salt and pepper and time to make it. I plan on bubbling up another batch this weekend, and will likely make it a double.  It is SO good and simple!

Enjoy!

Tonight I used leeks (yum!) and roasted garlic whilst I roasted my chicken thighs, then squeezed that into the soup just before blending.  I am now obsessed.

I must admit - I think I enjoyed the plain soup more because of the simpleness of the flavors, yet was really pleased with the leek/garlic combo!

I am so trying this! How much leek do you use? I just bought one and have never cooked with them before. Thanks for suggestion!

That much :)

I really have no idea! I don't use recipes, I'm a "make things up and bung in what I feel is right, or according to taste" kind of savoury cook

Perhaps a leek to a head of cauliflower?

That much :)

I really have no idea! I don't use recipes, I'm a "make things up and bung in what I feel is right, or according to taste" kind of savoury cook

Perhaps a leek to a head of cauliflower?

haha okay, that's how much I used. What is the texture of this soup supposed to be like? I really didn't measure anything. I roasted a head of cauli & a leek... put in blender with like 2-3 c water... it had a gritty type texture, not smooth at all! So then I read somewhere where they strain it with a fine mesh sieve. I did, and now it's CAULI WATER! What in the world... I actually kept the "pulp" because I didn't want to waste it... Cauliflower patties?  :lol:  Also, the taste isn't anything special.  :unsure:

haha okay, that's how much I used. What is the texture of this soup supposed to be like? I really didn't measure anything. I roasted a head of cauli & a leek... put in blender with like 2-3 c water... it had a gritty type texture, not smooth at all! So then I read somewhere where they strain it with a fine mesh sieve. I did, and now it's CAULI WATER! What in the world... I actually kept the "pulp" because I didn't want to waste it... Cauliflower patties?  :lol:  Also, the taste isn't anything special.  :unsure:

Do try the recipe that I linked to.  You can still roast the cauliflower, but I think you would need the time in the water to "soften" it to get a silkier texture. It is such a great breakfast!

Just to add to another CMTG awesome and so easy soup. Silky Ginger Zucchini soup. Probably would not work with water, but such an awesome soup. I make it every week as soon as my bone broth for the week is ready.

Just because you recommended it Susan I am making the zucchini soup this weekend!

Do try the recipe that I linked to. You can still roast the cauliflower, but I think you would need the time in the water to "soften" it to get a silkier texture. It is such a great breakfast!

I roast, then simmer - If I had a whole cauli and leek it'd be with about 1-1.5L water/stock and herbs. I've never had an issue with it being grainy!

I just found this recipe on that Food52 website, and it sounds amazing... obviously, the veg oil would be subbed, and butter left out, but what could be added instead of 1 cup yogurt?

http://food52.com/recipes/11855-curried-cauliflower-soup?from_related=1&related_src_type=recipe

I would use coconut milk; it would be a lovely sub and would go well with the curry. 

Archived