Pederson's Paleo Bacon

organiclover

Hi,

Pederson Farms just came out with a new paleo-friendly bacon that contains no sugar and compliant ingredients of pork, water, salt vinegar and celery powder. It is not organic, but it says that it is made from pork raised without the use of antibiotics, growth stimulants and fed no animal by-products. It is also nitrate free.

Again, I know that it is not organic, but would you recommend this or ONLY organic bacon from US Wellness? It is convenient for me to buy at my local Whole Foods instead of ordering online, which is why I am asking.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I've been buying bacon and sausage at the farmers market. Both vendors are great about allowing call-ahead orders. When I asked the sausage guy how his pigs were raised, he said, "They only have one bad day in their lives."

That's so sad!

It sounds far happier and healthier than conventional pork.  Like I said, I read the conscientious omnivore series and realized that I CAN eat pork, but only if it comes from happy pigs.

• 4 weeks later...

I checked on Saturday, and my Whole Foods does not carry this, though I have heard it's carried in some of their stores. 

Just last week, I asked at the butcher counter of Whole Foods.  They smoked me some pork belly using the same ingredients as my favorite bacon, but without sugar.  It is worth asking if you really want bacon.

Next up, building a really simple cold smoker since we have half of a pig coming our way this Winter.

Just last week, I ask at the butcher counter of Whole Foods.  They smoked me some pork belly using the same ingredients as my favorite bacon, but without sugar.  It is worth asking if you really want bacon.

Next up, building a really simple cold smoker since we have half of a pig coming our way this Winter.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info :)

I just found Peterson's bacon at WholeFoods over the weekend and jumped at buying it! I RARELY eat bacon (only when I would eat out sometimes), but since this is the ONLY compliant bacon I've found at the stores I was super excited. Tastes good too (besides hubby burning it...)

I haven't had bacon since I was 10 and went through my W30 and beyond without until I finally placed a US Wellness order.  It became a favorite flavoring for a bit.

We saw Joel Salatin speak at a nearby ranch and they served roasted pork belly with a drizzle of balsamic...wow!  Would love to come up with a meal with that at the center as we got some from our local farmer this Summer.

As for burning bacon, that is how my husband prefers it.  To him, I probably eat it raw!

I just found Peterson's bacon at WholeFoods over the weekend and jumped at buying it! I RARELY eat bacon (only when I would eat out sometimes), but since this is the ONLY compliant bacon I've found at the stores I was super excited. Tastes good too (besides hubby burning it...)

If you put it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes it is wonderful!!!!  I love Pederson's bacon.  If it were a man, I would marry it!  (And yes, I am single. HA HA HA)

If you put it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes it is wonderful!!!!  I love Pederson's bacon.  If it were a man, I would marry it!  (And yes, I am single. HA HA HA)

I've always wondered what happens to the inside of an oven when baking bacon.  I'd like to do it, but my husband would not be happy with bacon grease splatter on the oven.

I've always wondered what happens to the inside of an oven when baking bacon.  I'd like to do it, but my husband would not be happy with bacon grease splatter on the oven.

To be honest, I don't really recall a lot of splatter.  I think it is minimal at best.  Maybe try it when he is not home?  LOL

It is the only way to do bacon at this point.  It makes perfectly cooked and there are not "raw" or burnt parts of it.  I am in love with this cooking technique, if you haven't noticed.

• 1 month later...

I checked on Saturday, and my Whole Foods does not carry this, though I have heard it's carried in some of their stores. 

I *did* find Pederson Farm uncured (paleo) bacon on amazon..... BUT you have to buy a whole case of 20 packs!  $88.  So if you have a big freezer and you *really* like bacon..... (the packs are only 1/2 pound each).

Archived