Paleo Plantain Beef Pie?

SarahEM

So as long as I make sure the canned ingredients don't contain sulfites/sugar/etc... does this recipe look ok? It sounds delicious!!!

Ingredients:

• 1 lb (500 g) grass-fed ground beef
  • 1/3 cup diced red pepper
  • 1/2 of an onion, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 oz can diced mild green chilis
  • 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
  • 2 Tbsp dried currants (or raisins)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped olives (green or black)
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp achiote or paprika
  • 4-5 large slightly-ripe plantains (some yellow, some dark spots)
  • Coconut oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp water
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional

from:  http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/16/paleo-plantain-beef-pie/

That does sound good! The only thing I'm wondering is about the currants or raisins, since they are dried... I don't know, I've just always heard to stay away from dried fruit because of the sugar? I would like to know how this is too, as far as W30, because I would like to try :)

Best news I've heard all day!

I was really afraid to try Whole 30 because I didn't want to end up just eating plain old meat with veggies.  I'm glad that we can still have yummy meals while remaining compliant. I really enjoy cooking falvorful food  so trying to adapt my ways to be compliant. Today is day 4! So far so good.

Thanks guys!

Just saw your last post - I can't even remember the last time I had a chicken breast + broccoli kind of meal. :) Do you have Well Fed and/or Well Fed 2? Those cookbooks are AMAZING and nearly all Whole30-approved.

I've never had a plain meat & vegies meal either - unless you count salad, but I think my salads are delicious! Good food is definitely not plain or boring...i don't have time for that!

• 4 weeks later...

Today is my day 30 and yes I want to stand up and scream: I DID IT!

For me, the ability to cook amazing flavorful meals has been the key to success. The Wellfed cookbooks are amazing and there are so many online resources. Once learning the "rules" it's been great.

Oh and I made the plantain dish twice during my whole 30. It was a huge hit both times and super delicious left over!

Archived